Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Berserk Movie 1 - 7/10
Not a patch on the series and some of that CGI looks like its from the PS1, especially the Zodd part, my god but it did have its moments and I liked the mood of the scene at the end where Gutz is listening to Griffith talk to the Princess, left me wanting more. Plus that was one bit where i thought the music was superb, the rest of he film i couldn't help but compare to the series in which i loved the soundtrack. Any how heard the 2nd is better, so role on October.

Dan said:
Berserk Movie 1 - 7/10
Not a patch on the series and some of that CGI looks like its from the PS1, especially the Zodd part, my god but it did have its moments and I liked the mood of the scene at the end where Gutz is listening to Griffith talk to the Princess, left me wanting more. Plus that was one bit where i thought the music was superb, the rest of he film i couldn't help but compare to the series in which i loved the soundtrack. Any how heard the 2nd is better, so role on October.

Im glad i didnt see the series yet so i dont compare. I've seen the second movie and is great. I'll see the series after finish watching the third movie. So when watching the series, it will have more info than what i will know at the time and i will get even more content so ill be happy with that.

bakum4tsu said:
Dan said:
Berserk Movie 1 - 7/10

Im glad i didnt see the series yet so i dont compare. I've seen the second movie and is great. I'll see the series after finish watching the third movie. So when watching the series, it will have more info than what i will know at the time and i will get even more content so ill be happy with that.

The soundtrack isn't as amazing, i'll give you that, but it still has it's moments. the scenes at the end of the first film accompanied by "Blood and Guts" kind added a huge amount of weight to Guts' character and how he felt. I've watched the original and i'm well up to date with the manga so i did compare a lot, and it did cause issues when i wrote the review, but overall i was able to treat it seperately. I was glad it was made fairly accessible for newcomers. I do however feel they've chosen the harshest option for the end of the arc, i can imagine it'll be no hold barred.
I also felt the CG wasn't as bad, it's definitely not PS1 level. Though i have to say, there was one scene where it stood out a bit too much. Asides from that, i got used to it and comfortable with it fairly quickly. Film 2 has one moment like that as well, but outwith that, it's a step up.

I felt that movie 1 was a bit shock regarding CGI but then got used to it. During the second movie, i didnt even noticed that, I just enjoyed the movie even more than the first one. Cant wait for the last one.

The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki-Mamoru Hosoda delivers another masterpiece,a beautiful and enchanting story,underneath the fantasy aspect of the movie involving wolves is a humble tale of the hardships of parenthood after Hana loses her beloved it is up to her to bring up her two children herself,it is a joy to watch the two kids grow up,Yuki who wants to stay human and just fit in to the world around her and Ame who even from a young age always seemed distant and isolated to the human world as he grows up he hears the call of the wild and wants to be a free spirit and life a independent life as a wolf,but it is only through the hard work and motivation and love from there hardworking mother that makes both children gain the confidence to make these hard choices as they grow.It is simply one of the finest movies i,ve seen and i,d already consider it a classic,the animation is a joy to behold and the attention to detail is jaw dropping a special mention must go to the magical and beautiful musical score in the movie which is packed with emotion and uplifting melodies that fit in perfectly to the mood of the movie,even at its long running time of just under two hours it never drags and you never feel bored as it is nicely paced and flows beautifully,it made me laugh,cry and by the end i just felt all warm and fuzzy inside and has put me in good mood for the rest of the night.9/10

Arbalest said:
I also felt the CG wasn't as bad, it's definitely not PS1 level. Though i have to say, there was one scene where it stood out a bit too much. Asides from that, i got used to it and comfortable with it fairly quickly. Film 2 has one moment like that as well, but outwith that, it's a step up.

Ok maybe it wasn't as bad as PS1 but it didn't look great. Tbh was having a bad day and wanted a rant :D I was more annoyed about the eng dub subtitle issue that I made on another post tbh.

Anyway I'm sure the 2nd viewing will be better and I'll be watching it when the 2nd one ones out.

Gundam seed destiny

Ok to start off with, I know I said I didn't like gundam seed because of a few things, but i like destiny more then seed, yes it has almost the same sort of story the first series had but I like this story better, I liked shinn in this series but the ending was cut sort but I heard there a movie that has the same telling of the last ep but more stuff is explained, I think one of the reasons why I liked this better then seed is becauseof flays suffering and death in the first seed, it was sad on what happened to her in destiny tho yes there are a few who have suffered but Flays suffering got to me in seed more then anyother gundam series/movie iv seen. shinn was a badass in this and I wish he would of Killed zithern and kira at the end because there just annoying. Zathren was more in this then kira but I think shinn was the main character in destiny.

As much as this two series are almost the same in plot I prefer destiny over seed.

7/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Penguindrum-A weird and wonderful surreal series from the mind of Kunihiko Ikuhara(he directed it and co-wrote it) so you know your in for a wild ride where nothing is what it seems,the first half sets up the story well and then the second half it becomes a whole different beast and things really start to get strange,with its mix of camp and over the top transformation scenes(one of the best i,ve seen)to the dark and surreal settings,mix that in with cute blue penguins and evil black rabbits yes you read right and a awesome cast of characters you,ve got a near perfect show,it does demand your attention as it is quite a complex series especially the second half but thats no bad thing as it,s one of those series which i think demands a second viewing to really get everything you maybe missed the first time,top class stuff.9/10.

Future Boy Conan

Rewatched for the umpteenth time, marathoned the last 12 episodes. It's as great and touching as ever. The final message is even more actual than 35 years ago. If you like Nausicaa and Laputa then try to watch this masterpiece in some way.

Score: 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete

I forced myself to stop playing videogames 20 years ago, so I'm totally ignorant about the Final Fantasy universe (my only experience was watching The Spirits Within when it aired on TV about 10 years ago). I think this movie is fine, a decent story and some great visuals. My problem is that I wasn't able to connect with the characters, especially the bunch at the end. My fault, since I don't know anything about their backgrounds. Reading all the great comments it seems that playing the games and rewatching this movie would lead to a great amount of fun. But I don't want to fall again in that vortex.

Score: 7 / 10

Teo

Shakugan no Shana Final

Cast your minds back to the year 2000, when a movie called Scream 3 was released. I watched it in the cinema, and while I didn’t particularly enjoy it, the bit where the characters are told the rules of survival stuck with me.

To refresh your memory:
Rules for the concluding chapter of a trilogy

-The killer is going to be superhuman. Stabbing won't work. Shooting won't work. In the third one, you have to cryogenically freeze his head, decapitate him, or blow him up.
- Anyone, including the main character, can die.
-The past will come back to bite you in the ass. Any sins committed in the past are about to break out and destroy you.
-Basically..In the third movie, all bets are off.

How does this apply to the third season of Shakugan no Shana? Well, the first rule is pretty much a given since we were dealing with superhuman and otherworldly beings from the beginning anyway. And the second rule may be amended to apply to “long-established characters” instead. But the third and fourth rules, oh yeah. Anything goes this time, and events come full circle in the end.

The battles are bigger; this time the action escalates to all out war with an astronomical bodycount. And even though her name is in the title, Shana spends most of the first act as a supporting character. Full on war demands a lot more characters, a veritable ton of them. And there’s a potential problem here: introducing these characters, explaining their motives and establishing our empathy for them (whether they be Crimson Denizen or Flame Haze) while not sacrificing the overall pace of the show. That is a tough ask even under optimal conditions, and that’s before you get to the depictions of the internal politics in both camps.

And guess what. It works very effectively. Action is never at the cost of exposition, exposition never at the cost of pace.

The Shakugan no Shana series has had a habit of always pleasantly surprising me. Season 1 had its slightly darker take on the magical girl genre and its uncharacteristically understated humour. Season 2 more of the same, with some unexpected turns of events that sidestepped most of the obvious plot points and resolutions. Then along comes the third season and subverts the formula by moving the action away from the high school and to a more global setting. There’s also main villain...

Well, I say “villain”, but then again the name of the show is “Shakugan no Shana”, and since Shana was always the main character and since the story was always previously told from her perspective, we the viewers always assumed that hers was the side of the 100% pure-hearted angels engaged in war with the dastardly demons and their 100% pure evil schemes to create hell on earth. Suddenly we’re presented with both sides of the story, and suddenly there are plenty of grey areas in terms of who has the right motives for their actions and who doesn’t. This approach worked to exceptional effect in Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino, and it works just as well here; with valid arguments from both sides, it is no longer a simple matter of “good vs evil”, and the story is all the more compelling for it.

My journey with Shana and Yuji started back in 2010 when I purchased the first season Shakugan no Shana (under Funimation’s old Viridian Label) after stumbling across some customer reviews on Amazon. It was good enough to make the then current news of no planned releases of the subsequent seasons seem like agony. You can then imagine how I rejoiced at finally being able to purchase and experience these subsequent seasons. More than anything I wanted to see how things would work out between Shana and Yuji (Yeah, I’m a big softie that way!). The point I’m trying to make is that my enjoyment of a title (anime or otherwise) ultimately has little to do with such trivialities as video encoding or sound formats. It has all to do with how emotionally invested I have become with the characters and their journey. And if the payoff meets my expectations, the euphoria I experience...the tingling sensation from head to toe that lingers for hours after the final episode, that is one of the best feelings in the world.

Shakugan no Shana Final exceeded my expectations.

For that alone, it gets a well deserved 10/10.

psycho pass 8/10

fairly decent i thought been a while since i have watched an anime and actually enjoyed the characters so that was a bonus Also really enjoyed the final episode and the possible hint of a second series at the end :x .

lionheart said:
psycho pass 8/10

fairly decent i thought been a while since i have watched an anime and actually enjoyed the characters so that was a bonus Also really enjoyed the final episode and the possible hint of a second series at the end :x .

I give the same. 8 is fair enough. Nice story. Hope it gets released in the UK in the next months.

Natsumes,s Book of Friends season 3-Not much to say as it simply continues the perfection of great character development and heartwarming stories that made the first two series such a joy to watch,one of my personal fave shows in recent years and hope its not to long before season 4 gets its eventual dvd/blu-ray release.9/10.

Professor Irony said:
So, this was a thing that happened.

GE999 at 9.30, for anyone not interested in kitsch '50s creature features.
Really enjoyed your little chat about GE999 one of my fave series,yeah comparing the movie to the tv series is always good for debate,i prefer the series but i can understand why some don,t want to go through 113 episodes when they can see the conclusion in one very fine yet compressed movie,but its all about the journey for me and the tv series is beyond epic and is deep in its message,Matsumoto,s thought and vision he created in the now legendary Leijiverse is just a work of pure genius the way all these beloved characters are intertwined and exist in real time with each other is amazing and Tetsuro and Maetel are two of the most beloved anime characters ever,there is so much back story to to build upon,if you have not already watched them i,d recommend the various spin off ova,s,movies and tv series all linked to Galaxy Express 999 which will give you a better understanding of the characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lawrence said:
In short, Baccano is the greatest cake ever baked and everyone should take a slice while they still can.
10/10
Very much top ten material.

I concur. Frankly, I'm surprised Baccano placed so low down in our top ten of the decade - I'd have put it just slightly behind the Stand Alone Complex.

Doraemon666 said:
Really enjoyed your little chat about GE999 one of my fave series,yeah comparing the movie to the tv series is always good for debate.

Thank you :) I'm keen to see the Adieu film next myself, so I'll need to pick that up next time I'm ordering dvds.

Lawrence said:
Professor Irony said:
Lawrence said:
In short, Baccano is the greatest cake ever baked and everyone should take a slice while they still can.
10/10
Very much top ten material.

I concur. Frankly, I'm surprised Baccano placed so low down in our top ten of the decade - I'd have put it just slightly behind the Stand Alone Complex.

To be honest, I dare suggest that it just hasn't been seen by as many of the forum members, I know a few other people only recently finished it, aside myself.

Baccano was pretty good. I did see it one year ago.

Back