Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

I have to say that I've never considered mentioning whether or not a show has a conclusive ending as a spoiler, providing no details are given. It's something I've done it myself in reviews and write-ups, and nobody has ever complained about it.

From now on be sure to use spoiler tags.

all the time i just use the box below but il will will will will try and remember to do that and by the way watch broken blade a watch the storys really good and it just drags you in saying oh come on come on

fabricatedlunatic said:
I have to say that I've never considered mentioning whether or not a show has a conclusive ending as a spoiler, providing no details are given. It's something I've done it myself in reviews and write-ups, and nobody has ever complained about it.

In most cases it does not spoil anything. But there are some cases where it can be a major spoil.
If you have seen Pulp Fiction then imagine if before watching it someone told you that it has a circular structure. I'm pretty sure a good part of enjoyment of that movie would have been lost.
To avoid similar cases it's better to use the spoiler tags.

Teo

Last edited by a moderator:
I thinkt hat's a little different to what AF is saying though.

It'd be more like saying 'Kill Bill vol 1' doesn't finish the story, to get full resolution you'd have to wait for release of vol 2. The incompleteness isn't a feature of the product... it's just incomplete.

teonzo said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

In most cases it does not spoil anything. But there are some cases where it can be a major spoil.
If you have seen Pulp Fiction then imagine if before watching it someone told you that it has a circular structure. I'm pretty sure a good part of enjoyment of that movie would have been lost.
To avoid similar cases it's better to use the spoiler tags.
Teo

I once watched The Big Lebowski at the cinema with my brother. He had already seen it once. I never enjoyed the film as he kept giggling prior to every joke in the film so instead of laughing at the jokes myself I kept wondering what my brother was laughing at.

Welcome to the Space Show - 8.5/10

Stunning looking film on blu-ray, all the backdrops and various locations showcased in the film looked absolutely spectacular. Plot-wise it doesn't pull up any trees, and whilst the film does drag a little in the middle, but the story eventually crescendoes into an enjoyable climax. With the film being aimed towards a younger audience, the ending was fairly predictable, but that didn't stop me enjoying it.

FourthLion said:
It'd be more like saying 'Kill Bill vol 1' doesn't finish the story, to get full resolution you'd have to wait for release of vol 2. The incompleteness isn't a feature of the product... it's just incomplete.

It's just a matter of perspectives. Yours is different than mine. To you it does not matter to know in advance if a show has an open ending or not (or better, you prefer to know it in advance). On the contrary, I prefer to avoid to get that kind of infos before watching something, because I'd like to be able to enjoy the choice (if there was one) by the director, to be surprised or whatever.
Since there is the possibility to satisfy both perspectives (using the spoiler tags), then it's better to use it.

Teo

FourthLion said:

But didn't Quentin Tarantino say Kill Bill was going to be a 2 volume film in which case you would expect to have to see both films to get a resolution to it (much like with the last Harry Potter book which was split into 2 films and The Hobbitt which is being split into 2 films).

Ranma ½: Big Trouble in Nekonron, China – 8/10
Ranma ½: Nihao My Concubine – 8/10

Goofy and very silly these are classic Ranma ½. What I like about these films is that they actually have coherent plots and the gags just fit around them so they feel like proper comedy films. There’s nothing original here, especially if you’ve seen any of the TV series, but they are great fun nonetheless and well worth seeing.

Infinite Ryvius – 4/10

I was looking forward to watching Infinite Ryvius after seeing the trailer for it and reading the series synopsis but I found it to be a very disappointing show. The premise and background was interesting and the way the tension built including the portrayal of the Ryvius’s slow descent into chaos (reminiscent of Lord of the Flies) was done very well but it was completely spoiled by the way the plot was drawn out, feeling like Taniguchi was struggling to fill the 26 episodes and then finished with a lacklustre ending with a few details casually given away in a news broadcast leaving too many unanswered questions. I also couldn’t get into any of the characters which didn’t help either. This was a promising if flawed directorial debut for Taniguchi and there are a number of elements in Infinite Ryvius that he would later perfect in Planetes and if you’re a fan of that show then I would say watch this out of interest but other than that I certainly wouldn’t recommend it.

Dragon Half – 7/10

Similar silliness to Ranma 1/2, though lacks the coherence of Ranma and isn’t quite as funny but at only two episodes it is a good short blast of amusing entertainment!

Panda! Go, Panda! – 7/10
Rainy Day Circus – 7/10

An early pre-Ghibli Takahata/Miyazaki collaboration that demonstrates the potential both of these legends had. Despite the short running time and the, at times, simplistic nature of the films both are endearing and enjoyable to watch and do work on multiple levels for both children and adults alike. Certainly a must for any Ghibli fan.

Tokyo Godfathers – 9/10

I thought this was a true classic; the characterisation is brilliant with an excellent story that is funny, sad, endearing, heart-rending and uplifting all at once with plenty of twists and turns throughout. This is just a great anime film but a great film full stop, it has a wonderful cinematic feel to the way the films sweeps along and it has been a while since a drama has captivated like Tokyo Godfathers did. Satoshi Kon was a genius and will continue to be sadly missed.

Origin – Spirits of the Past – 6/10

I found the eco-warrior concept of Origin really interesting and I thought that the film got off to a good start, with an excellent portrayal of the world as it stands and with Toola’s awakening and her adjustment to her new surroundings, but I found that once the film got into its latter half it failed to continue to keep me hooked in and lacked the impact the film started with. The characterisation was good, with believable fleshed out characters. The animation was a mixed bag at times it looked stunning but at other times it looked horrible with atrocious blending of 2D cel animation and CGI giving the film a very inconsistent look. As a whole it was above average and reasonably enjoyable but it didn’t deliver on its initial promise.

mangaman74 said:
FourthLion said:

But didn't Quentin Tarantino say Kill Bill was going to be a 2 volume film in which case you would expect to have to see both films to get a resolution to it (much like with the last Harry Potter book which was split into 2 films and The Hobbitt which is being split into 2 films).

The way Broken Blade was released orginally was as 6 separate films, not series as the release here and I'm pretty sure in any interviews the director would probably have mentioned they didn't cover the whole manga for each film, which is not much different to me than saying there's going to be a part 2 (even if there isn't ever another part made it's the same kinda of plot incompletion).

I understand how knowing an ending type might bother some people, I'm just saying there's a difference between an ending that is open by design (but was always meant to be the ending) and something coming to a close before it finishes. I don't think the latter really counts as a spoiler, otherwise you could say amazon should put in spoiler tags for the Eden of the East movie releases as their existence spoils that the series doesn't have a conclusive ending.

Also I'm definitely one to agree that a review should always mention whether there was a satisfactory ending, but obviously not give any plot details whatsoever. I think it's pretty important to a lot of viewers. I have sleepless nights over Nana and Twelve Kingdoms.

FourthLion said:
Also I'm definitely one to agree that a review should always mention whether there was a satisfactory ending, but obviously not give any plot details whatsoever. I think it's pretty important to a lot of viewers. I have sleepless nights over Nana and Twelve Kingdoms.
Ah, but then we run into the problem that what's satisfactory to one person might not be to another. I can think of several open/unresolved endings that I really liked, and Teo's right that they wouldn't have had the same impact if I'd known about them beforehand. Equally, I can think of things that had rushed, botched but certainly conclusive endings which I personally found unsatifactory.

Ghost Hound

6/10

This series started with quite a bit of intrigue for me but never managed to go beyond that. The story is slowly paced, but I like that, it doesn't drag. However, the series felt quite disjointed from episode to episode, often it felt like something happened in between episodes that we missed out on.

Neither VA cast fully gave a convincing performance for me. Ultimately I stuck with subs, but like I said neither was great. The show has a lot of ideas, but often they're just left at that and never further explored. This was probably best exemplified in the ending which just felt a rushed mish-mash of an ending.

I wouldn't call this a bad series, there was definitely potential in it, with some good ideas and a couple of genuinely creepy moments.

Gundam Unicorn: 9.8/10 - Sure feels like watching movie for every epside!

Fate Zero: 9/10 - Quite good, though a bit dark for my liking, speaking of which, the Japanese voice actor for Kotomine Kirei is coming to an anime convention called Anime Revolution, I'm gonna attend to see him :D

Birdy the mighty Decode season 1
8/10
Pretty good stuff here! I wasnt all that sure when i heard the premise of that i would like it. But its surpriseingly pretty good.

Birdy is probably one of the best female roles ive seen in anime! She's funny, she's loyal, Shes'pretty and she's brave!

The animation was fantastic and especially showed off dueing the fight scenes. But thats where one of the downsides for me were. There wasnt enough fight scenes. The story and character development was good and all, but they could of included one or more fights! But thats only a minor nit pick.

On to season 2 :D

sanji no 1 said:
Birdy the mighty Decode season 1
8/10
Pretty good stuff here! I wasnt all that sure when i heard the premise of that i would like it. But its surpriseingly pretty good.

Birdy is probably one of the best female roles ive seen in anime! She's funny, she's loyal, Shes'pretty and she's brave!

The animation was fantastic and especially showed off dueing the fight scenes. But thats where one of the downsides for me were. There wasnt enough fight scenes. The story and character development was good and all, but they could of included one or more fights! But thats only a minor nit pick.

On to season 2 :D

Oh dear, this will all end in tears.

Have to agree though, Birdy Decode is a very good series and Birdy herself a great character. Animation is definetly the strong point of the first season, though the story is no slouch. I think the story of the 2nd season is even better, the perfect blend would be animation of 1st and story of 2nd. But you'll see for yourself what you think, hope you enjoy the 2nd season as much as I did :D

I just got done watching Birdy Decode 02 on Netflix and I thought some of the fight scene animation was extraordinary, though I can see why people wouldn't be so keen. Birdy's animation director was responsible for some of the more creative battle sequences in Noein, and they were some of my favourite moments of that show.

Back