Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Welcome to the space show

I just finished watching it my self and it was a jolly enjoyable fun anime and yeah it kinda dose remind me of ghibli movies. I really really enjoyed it the charecters are fun and enjoyable and animations gorgeous the story's nice but something about it feel familiar, I'm not sure what it is but it feels familiar, anyways it's colourful it's fun and enjoyable and I'l be watching again I. The future for sure and yeah wolf i know that part does fall flat on its ass but do the kids know that................. remember this animes more for kids and as we all know kids will believe anything you tell them until they learn for them selfs

8.5/10

Kids On The Slope

Just heard about this series today so I though I'd watch it, managed to get all 12 episodes down as well!

It's a really good show, no more, no less, one of the best shows I've seen in recent times, my only complaint is that it could've been a bit longer and it's a little rushed at times, but I guess this kind of show just isn't popular enough to warrant holding back some stuff for a season 2. Here's hoping for some OVAs ala Hellsing Ultimate style.

9/10

Ghost Hunt
8/10

Well this was something a bit different and depressing. Reminds me of Mushi-shi in that it follows a pattern of mysterious thing happens, mainc haracters turn up to solve it, generally supernatural and involves a lot of suspension of disbelief. Made really good use of sound effects like Ghost Hound does, but those dynamic camera shots etc are a little over the top and tended to make me laugh on what were supposed to be dramatic moments. Speaking of making you laugh the show was quite funny too.
Generally prefer a series with a continuous overacrhing story, rather than monster of the week time formula (though this was more monster of the month), but this was a really great watch which didn't really ask too much of me as a viewer. Great characters too, shame they aren't explored a bit more, wouldn't mind an OVA on Naru/Lin's backstory or something.

Macross

Minmay is a b*t*h.
I don't remember the reasons, but I always avoided watching Robotech ages ago, so this was a first for me. I really liked the story and the relationship with the alien race. Misa is one of the best characters in anime. There are also a lot of little details to enjoy, like the Castle of Cagliostro videogame. Overall I would say it's on the same level of the first Gundam.
Did I say Minmay is a *i*c*?

Score: 8.5 / 10

Teo

The Sky Crawlers
Before I go into detail about my thoughts, I have one question: Kusanagi and The Teacher were once doing each other, which resulted in a daughter right? And later on, Kusanagi started doing Kannami, but towards the end Kusanagi referred to The Teacher as his father and considering how every bit of speculation in this film is either treated as, or later revealed to be, fact.....*poker face*.

Anyway, I'm not too sure what to make of this film. I certainly see the artistic message behind it, but it took me until the second half to get that. If I had to sum up the film in a word, it would be "awkward". The dialogue and the characters always seemed out of place, which judging from the second half of the film, I'm guessing was deliberate - but it did make watching it rather awkward as well.

I will give it that the ending was pretty unexpected, even if it was rather...plain with no real emotional investment one way or the other. I think the main thing about this film is that hardly any of it is presented with real emotional attachment from the characters, as if they had become bored with the same old thing, which really fits the film as a whole.

Also, I felt we really needed more background information. I had to look up the film's Wikipedia article just to really find out what was going on in terms of the background story etc.

6.5/10
I see what the film was trying to do and I think it did it well, but it just felt so out of place.

I feel a 6 is too harsh, but a 7 is too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mahoromantic I'm home

I just noticed that tenma from school rumble and maho from mahoromantic look similar if you look close.

Just like the series it's fun to watch and is cute too it's in 2 parts I don't know why they didn't make it in to a mini movie but it feels like filler.

7.5/10
8 is too much and 7 is too low but its ok

Birdy the Mighty: Decode S1

8/10

Not a perfect series but it was a great laugh and I'm looking forward to finishing the second season, where I'll post a more thorough review.

Next on my list before that though, the 12 ep Guyver OVA that I bought on VHS for a £1...

Armitage III

I found this cyberpunk OVA to be fine and nothing more: the story and the settings are good but are the usual. I suppose I would have liked it much more if I watched it back at the time of release. It would have a novelty effect, plus it would not seem dated, especially about all the technology. Oh well, time passed for me and even for this OVA.

Score: 7 / 10

Teo

teonzo said:
Armitage III

I found this cyberpunk OVA to be fine and nothing more: the story and the settings are good but are the usual. I suppose I would have liked it much more if I watched it back at the time of release. It would have a novelty effect, plus it would not seem dated, especially about all the technology. Oh well, time passed for me and even for this OVA.

Teo

theres 4 OVAs and 2 movies of armitage III so if your interested UP1 has the whole collection

From up on Poppy Hill-Well here it is Goro Miyazakis make or break movie,after the disappointment that was Tales from Earthsea which to be honest is not as bad as some people say but it is the only dark shadow in Ghiblis otherwise perfect cannon of work,so is From up on Poppy Hill another clunker for Goro,i,m glad to say no,this movie is amazing yet not without it flaws but no movie is perfect,Goro has grown alot as a director there is a feeling he was out to prove the critics and his father wrong,saying that though Hayao Miyazaki does the screenplay and without a doubt it shows and his influence on the movie is plain to see,but everything you love about Ghibli is here from the attention to detail in the animation to warm likeable characters and an amazing musical score composed by Satoshi Takebe which is one of the high points of the movie and really gives the movie a upbeat,feelgood vibe that will put a smile on your face,the actual story is a simple tale,a slice of life comedy drama so to speak about youth and friendship and falling in love,there is two main stories interwinding in the movie first we have a love story between the two main characters Umi Matsuzaki and Shun Kazama who without a doubt have a crush on each other and both lost there father at war,i wont go into detail about there relationship and how it pans out as it would spoil the movie,the other main story is centered around the Quartier Latin a building the school uses for its clubs and meetings and where they make the school newsletter,but the students find out the Quartier Latin is to be torn down for redevelopment,the feeling of youth and unitiy and just plain old hard work is a joy to behold as the students do everything in there power to stop the redevelopment,so in my humble opinion From up on Poppy Hill is a classic and can stand along side the rest of Ghiblis classics without shame,i,ve watched it numerous times now and just gets better and better,its a upbeat feel good movie and like other classics like My Neighbour Totoro and Kikis Delivery Service it will leave you all warm and fuzzy inside.9/10.

Birdy the Mighty: Decode S2 9/10

A quite follow up to the first season, the only thing that stopped it becoming a firm ten is the ending didn't seem quite as dramatic as the one to S1. Still, this show has entered my list of favourites, glad I picked it up :)

Romeo x Juliet
6/10
a pretty meh show. The animation was actually pretty good for Gonzo.The overall story is nice and the relationship and struggles between Romeo and Juliet is sweet, But the story dragged on a bit and nothing much went on, it was just boring chatter, and by the end of the show i just didn't really care about what was going on.

Overall, not a terrible show but FAR from perfect. Only recommended to those who like William Shakespeares work, if not stay away.

sanji no 1 said:
Romeo x Juliet
6/10
a pretty meh show. The animation was actually pretty good for Gonzo.The overall story is nice and the relationship and struggles between Romeo and Juliet is sweet, But the story dragged on a bit and nothing much went on, it was just boring chatter, and by the end of the show i just didn't really care about what was going on.

Overall, not a terrible show but FAR from perfect. Only recommended to those who like William Shakespeares work, if not stay away.

Moves copy to the bottom of the 'to watch' pile.

I got Romeo x Juliet as for some reaosn I was really excited about it., I liekd some of the promo art and it just sounded like it could work.

I already didn't care about what was going on my episode 2 :(

Armitage III Polymatrix

I bought the Armitage DVDs just because they were really cheap, so I didn't know anything about these shows. After the first seconds I thought "they are recalling how the OVA started, so it's a flashback". After 2 minutes I thought the flashback was quite long. After 4 minutes I hit the fast forward button to check if this movie was just a retelling of the OVA. That was the case, so I stopped watching this DVD.

Armitage III Dual-Matrix

This movie has a new story that happens after the OVA. Some things are different, but overall the style and the atmosphere are in the same vein. I liked this one a bit better than the OVA, but the problems is the usual when it's about cyberpunk stuff: watching it now it feels dated.

Teo

Joshawott said:
The Sky Crawlers
Before I go into detail about my thoughts, I have one question: Kusanagi and The Teacher were once doing each other, which resulted in a daughter right? And later on, Kusanagi started doing Kannami, but towards the end Kusanagi referred to The Teacher as his father and considering how every bit of speculation in this film is either treated as, or later revealed to be, fact.....*poker face*.

I watched this movie about one year and a half ago, so my memories are not fresh. As far as I remember all the facts about the Teacher were put in a misleading way, such that you could interpret it in one way or the other. It was an intended effect, because the focus of the movie was the existence of the Kildren and their weird life: forced in a loophole without realizing it, just for the fun of the normal humans. So the movie is portrayed just from the visual of a Kildren, fighting because you have to fight and nothing more. Kusanagi is the shattering agent of the story, because she started to understand what's going on outside the Kildren box. The spectator just have to start living in the world of the Kildren, then realize it's a forced box through Kusanagi actions, then get frustrated with the ending sequence (after the credits), realizing it's just a loophole that you can't evade. The details about life outside the Kildren box are almost irrelevant and shady, so there aren't clear details telling the real nature of the Teacher, or the relationship between Kusanagi and the Teacher. The Teacher just needs to be almost a mithological presence, he's out there but you don't know anything more. There are some little details here and there, but you could interpret them in various ways. If I recall right, it could also be possible to interpret that Kannami was originally cloned from the Teacher.

By the way, awesome visuals in this movie, the opening sequence with the credits and the shadows is kick-ass.

Teo

Last edited by a moderator:
Back