Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

I have a strange desire to watch FotNS now and perhaps cry (manly) tears as I remember my distant youth. The movie though, as I don't think I can spare the time for the series.

Joshawott said:
sic vita est said:
Deadman Wonderland
Hell, the series would have been much better if they'd manage to stretch the story to 24 episodes. I mean, wasn't the whole point of the story for the MC to find the Red Man and get revenge?
I realised with horror after about episode 9 that they had no time to properly wrap any of it up, so I can only hope they planned more but only had funding for 12 so split it into two series.

RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne

On the whole it was alright. Some interesting scenes and moments in it, and I liked Rin the main character, but for me the ending was rather confusing.

Score: 7 / 10

sic vita est said:
Joshawott said:
sic vita est said:
Deadman Wonderland
Hell, the series would have been much better if they'd manage to stretch the story to 24 episodes. I mean, wasn't the whole point of the story for the MC to find the Red Man and get revenge?
I realised with horror after about episode 9 that they had no time to properly wrap any of it up, so I can only hope they planned more but only had funding for 12 so split it into two series.
I hope so. The series had so much potential.

Metropolis

I rather enjoyed this film. I really enjoyed the animation style, the jazz soundtrack, and the overall feel of the entire thing. However, there were some flashy bits which do make it hard to watch.

Score: 8 / 10

Ian Wolf said:
RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne

On the whole it was alright. Some interesting scenes and moments in it, and I liked Rin the main character, but for me the ending was rather confusing.

Score: 7 / 10

While I thought the plot itself was rather good in all, certainly different, it was far too often gratuitous just for the sake of being so.

Probably give it the same as you in all.

William Shakespeares timeless classic romeo and juliet.................. not the play but the anime.
i thought id hate this series cause of it being a tragedy romantic anime but after watching it i was completely blown away by it. there was a few things at the ending that didn't sit right with me but your going to have to see for you selfs what i mean.
anyway brilliant anime 9.5/10

Arrietty

Yay! I finally got to see it. My Mum loves Ghibli, as does my older brother, so me, them and my 7 year old brother went down to our local Arts Picture House. While we were expecting dubbed, when we got there we were told they were showing it subtitled - no biggy; my 7 year old brother watched Totoro subbed with no problems.

I'll be honest; despite having a membership with the Arts Picture house, this was the first time I'd been there (Basically at Uni, they wouldn't leave me alone until I'd signed up). I loved the atmosphere, it felt more like a theatre than a cinema (probably why I kept on accidently calling it the Cambridge Arts Theatre - name is kinda similar to Cambridge Arts Picture House xD).

After Tales from Earthsea, I was reluctant at how well a new director will do. Hiromasa Yonebayashi did a damn good job. Like usual with Ghibli, the tone was calm - unlike all these damn action films the kids of today are watching. One thing niggled me though; how Ghibli re-uses character designs: Shō looked a hell of a lot like Prince Arren from Earthsea, and Haru looked a lot like every elderly woman in a Ghibli film. Still, the awesomeness of the film made up for it.

Was I the only one who noticed a subtle nod to Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns in the beginning? When the crow tried to pick up the cat (The Cat Returns) and the colour of the cat (Whisper of the Heart). Being a huge fan of both films, I loved noticing that.

I felt that the film was a bit slow in getting started, but once it did it was beautiful. One thing that was fantastic was seeing this world we take for granted through the eyes of Arrietty - all the intricate little structures and the minor details put into things.

Arrietty was quite a wonderful protagonist and I don't know why; a lot of the characters in this film didn't really feel like they had much personality (Except Pod and Spiller), but they just clicked so well together. I did feel Shō was being a douche when he was telling Arrietty about how borrowers will go extinct though, so that's some personality I guess.

For an antagonist, Haru was pretty tame; that would be the only thing I'd change about the film. However, considering Shō's heart condition, I doubt any high drama scenes would have ended well. In fact...Haru's name is in itself another reference to The Cat Returns maybe?

I'd say Arrietty is definitely one of the better Ghibli movies; and I'm glad it was the first one I saw on the big screen. Personally, I've always found the better movies to be the ones not directed by Miyazaki.

As we were leaving, Mum saw a worker with a bunch of posters and asked if he had any Arrietty posters; they had one, and they sold posters for £5 (all proceeds going to charity). So, that poster is sat next to me now. Tomorrow, Mum's buying a frame and it's going up in the front room.[/i]

8/10

Joshawott said:

Appropriately enough, I went to see Arriety today as well.

I felt it was a fairly conventional film by Ghibli standards, but it's executed with such remarkable subtlty and restraint that, as you say, you really appreciate the world with some of the same wonder as a person four inches tall. I felt that the animators must have had a particularly good time working on the borrowers' movements around the house; the scenes showing them scaling ordinary household furniture with their makeshift mountaineering equipment are especially charming.

My only concern would be that the film may be too subtle for its own good. Younger audiences might be less impressed by the lack of a grand showdown that the film does seem to be leading towards, and it was only after I'd left the cinema that the motivation behind Sho's unexpectly stern words to Arriety clicked into place.

Yonebayashi definitely seems like a safe pair of hands though - he'll go far. :)

Professor Irony said:
Joshawott said:

Appropriately enough, I went to see Arriety today as well.

I felt it was a fairly conventional film by Ghibli standards, but it's executed with such remarkable subtlty and restraint that, as you say, you really appreciate the world with some of the same wonder as a person four inches tall. I felt that the animators must have had a particularly good time working on the borrowers' movements around the house; the scenes showing them scaling ordinary household furniture with their makeshift mountaineering equipment are especially charming.

My only concern would be that the film may be too subtle for its own good. Younger audiences might be less impressed by the lack of a grand showdown that the film does seem to be leading towards, and it was only after I'd left the cinema that the motivation behind Sho's unexpectly stern words to Arriety clicked into place.

Yonebayashi definitely seems like a safe pair of hands though - he'll go far. :)
In fact, there were quite a few laughs from the audience when it was shown how the borrowers used ordinary day items (for us) to get around, like the peg for a hair clip, celotape as suction cups etc.

Although my little brother said he liked it, I could tell he was getting bored towards the end; it might have needed a grand showdown just to bring the younger viewers back into the film.

kampfer
what can i say-
the main characters a guy that turns in to a girl and hes in love with a girl that loves his girl side which she doesn't know that she really is a he,
the main character is completely clueless and he annoys me and he wont give me on this girl who a lesbian and cant see 3 other girls loves him.
he is freakin annoying
6/10
more fan service would of been nice

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Bonds beyond over the space and time... On Motorcycles!!!

This has the three main protagonists from each series so it's gotta be good right, well let's see, Story pretty cliche with lack of backstory for main villian (he just showed up, did stuff, explained how his future got wasted, got beat and destroyed), but then again not expecting anything better than average from it anyway, characters: same old leads with lacking of really any support characters (No Joey, TTT, Anzu, Kaiba, Cyrus, Chazz e.t.c), Team 5'ds, Solomon Mutou and Pegasus J all make very brief appearances but nothing of any significance, It did give us a duel which was better than most TV anime duels even if cheating was highly evident [INSERT YGO:A REF]

The Art for this is outstanding, don't have 3D but seen it on blu-ray and I couldn't find any faults, YGO has always had decent BGM (JPN Ver.) and the arrangement of music was good,

Would have only give it 5/10 but for great animation and sound it gets 6/10 from me!

Fist of the North Star (movie) (1986)

Probably not a whole lot I can add to our previous discussion, but I was suitably impressed anyway. The attempts to condense such a large chunk of the story into under 2 hours aren't always successful (it does feel like you're watching the plot in fast-forward at times), but I think they've made a pretty good stab at it all the same.

Introducing Ken's brothers right at the start was certainly a good idea. With hindsight, it would have been nice if they could have done this in the original series too. Perhaps it might have detracted from Ken's search for Shin, but I think the bridge between that arc and... everything else would have seemed far less awkward.

In a way, I do wish I could have seen this film before the series though. Much as I feel the series has some terrible pacing problems, I did miss it's epic sweep, and seeing some of the more entertaining side-characters reduced to cameo appearances was inevitably disappointing. Most shocking of all for me though, was the non-appearance of the 'timer death'. Surely they could have spared 30 seconds for that one?

Nevertheless, it's an entertaining jaunt through post-apocalyptic er... somewhere (answers on a postcard; I used to think it had to be the USSR) that slots in a good selection of highlights from the show and rightly brings Raoh into the picture much earlier on. And yeah, Heart of Madness was awesome. :)

So to surmise, I would easily give this film Hidebu out of ten.

Professor Irony said:
(it does feel like you're watching the plot in fast-forward at times)
The writers definitely left the viewer to fill in some gaps: like what in blazes happened to Airi (Rei's sister) and why Kenshiro was suddenly walking to Cassandra alone when Rei and the kids were driving there. Perhaps he's just too manly to accept a lift?

And yeah, Heart of Madness was awesome. :)
\m/

Last edited by a moderator:
fabricatedlunatic said:
The writers definitely left the viewer to fill in some gaps

Yeah, definitely... Lynn's presence is clearly very significant in this version, but I'll be damned if I know why. I honestly expected Raoh to tell her he was her father.

Oh yeah, that as well. I assumed that whatever it was I'd have to watch the TV series to find out, but judging from what you just wrote that's not the case. Still, I'd like to watch the TV series (with original soundtrack plz) anyway.

Admittedly, I've never finished the tv series (although watching the film has given me the craving to do so), but I got to roughly the half-way mark and there's certainly been no mention of Lynn's aura thus far.

Lynn and Bart certainly had far more screentime in the series, but they were mostly there as comic relief and someone for Ken to rescue every once in a while. I guess, as there wasn't really time for that in the film, the screenwriters were probably trying to give Lynn a reason to be there beyond shouting "KEEEEEEEEENNNNN!" at appropriate junctures...

Professor Irony said:
Admittedly, I've never finished the tv series (although watching the film has given me the craving to do so), but I got to roughly the half-way mark and there's certainly been no mention of Lynn's aura thus far.

Lynn and Bart certainly had far more screentime in the series, but they were mostly there as comic relief and someone for Ken to rescue every once in a while. I guess, as there wasn't really time for that in the film, the screenwriters were probably trying to give Lynn a reason to be there beyond shouting "KEEEEEEEEENNNNN!" at appropriate junctures...
Yeah there are moments in the tv series when she does have the strange aura but it is never explained,i think its just to show the close connection between her and Kenshiro,as i mentioned before trying to cram what is a 109 episode anime into a movie is always going to be hard so many key characters(Toki and many of the south star fighters)were missing,i,m sure they were thinking of maybe making a second movie as much of the story is left untold in the first movie,its more like a taster for whats to come,but the movie rules and does what it sets out to do very well indeed.

Kannagi - 8/10

Takes the basic set-up of Ah! My Goddess, but Nagi is no Belldandy; she's selfish, demanding, bratty, and frequently hilarious. Whether it's gluing her "magic wand" to a table, sulking in a closet, singing terrible songs, or laughing at her own awful puns, she never fails to entertain. The whole series, in fact, is crammed with great comedy, especially during the middle "filler" episodes that benefit from entirely dropping the rather thin plot. Towards the end it picks up the dangling threads and attempts to tie them up, wringing some angst from the characters in the process, but an amusing, fanservice-packed final OVA episode ensures the series ends on a comical note.

Usually I don't care much for animation quality in comedy anime, but here A-1's stellar work adds so much personality to the characters. I don't think it would have been quite as good a show in the hands of a lesser studio.

Arrietty 8/10

First of all I have seen several different versions of the Borrowers story, though have never read the book, second I am a Ghibli nut, but feel I am quite objective and several of their films I can honestly say I do not like (Not Earthsea btw :p)

Anyway, just got back from seeing it an hour ago. 8)

Basically it was an extremely good film for the most part. The British dub was odd at first, but settled extremely well after a short time (wish there were more!) with only Spiller's voice being very poor. I felt the music at times was a little loud, though I really liked the theme song, fit wonderfully.

Graphically I cannot fault it, It was beautiful - Probably the best looking Ghbili film since spirited away. The visuals were gorgeous and the way they were used, as pointed out by a previous reviewer, to highlight the scale differences was great. I imagine the animators had really good fun on this one.

The characters were pretty good for the most part, but I think the film was a little short to give the whole cast a full characterisation - even though it was a small cast overall. Arrietty herself was a classic Miyazaki style heroine, though I feel flashes of Yonebayashi's own ideas broke through. The worst without doubt was Spiller who was a complete non entity and was really only there for the climax of the film Sho was good, though again, just like most of the characters, a little bit more time would have fleshed them out perfectly (94 minutes was just not enough - most Ghibli films hit the 2 hour mark and really get more characterisation out)

As for the plot, I think it was pretty well done - very similar to the other Borrowers adaptions I watched, but with a usual Miyazaki spin of not giving you quite the ending you were expecting - though inside I wish they had stayed in the house/returned I can understand Miyazaki's reasoning. There were a few plot points that didn't work. Sho swapping the kitchen without any warning/or any knowledge of where it was just doesn't sit right with me. The afore mentioned Spiller interlude was pointless like the character, and Haru's motivations don't really carry for me.

I sympathise with those who said it needed a bit more of an energetic climax, but I think I may have upset the overall tone of the film. The entire story is subtle and that is the strength - changing the tone mid film would have done more damage to it than help it in my opinion. The humor as mentioned fit very well into the subtleties of it all, there was no real 'jokes' it was the uniqueness of the mundane items being used in odd ways that carried the humor, which I felt was very well done.

I also liked the little 'easter eggs' - the cat and the crow was definitely shades of Muta and Toto in Cat returns.

Basically anything Miyazaki has had influence on at Ghbili can be divided into the 'epics' (Nausicaa/Mononoke/Laputa) and the 'Slice of life' (Kiki/Totoro/Whisper) This is definately in the latter, but is a much more complete story than some (Kiki ends abruptly for instance) This is not a mark against it by any means, and it does its job very well indeed.

I'd definitely rate it higher than what I consider the two weakest Miyazaki films (Kiki and Porco Rosso) and I'd put it a my second favorite that was not directed by him (After Whisper of the Heart) So in all, despite a few little issues, It was a really good film, and in Yonebayashi is definitely a rising star. 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Panzer World Galient-wow what a series,i love anything directed by Ryosuke Takahashi and this was near perfect,a great mix of fantasy and mech action and a great mix of characters and a great villian at the center of the story,all killer no filler every episode brought something new to the story right until the end and the last couple of episodes were some of the best i,ve ever seen in any anime,fantastic stuff,now i can start watching Fang of the Sun Dougram.9/10.

Back