Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Arrietty

Saw the subtitled version of this at the Covent Garden Odeon last night and enjoyed it immensely.

Ghibli films always look amazing on the big screen, this was no exception. A great story (as it should be, based on the book), superb characters and some very touching, but never corny, moments.

The soundtrack was great too, but I hope Joe Hisaishi does the music for the next one, just not the same!

9/10

Irresponsible Captain Tylor OVA - 7/10

Despite the Tylor TV series being primarily a comedy show, it was set against the backdrop of war, one in which Tylor and his crew became increasingly involved. The OVAs, for better or worse, eliminate most of the comedy.

It's actually two series; the first two episodes are a follow-up of sorts to where the TV series left off, but unfortunately the reset button was pushed for both the Soyokaze crew and the enemy in how they regard Tylor. The second series of eight episodes was produced by a different animation studio, and takes place a bit later, during a cease-fire. It first covers the personal stories of various cast members, who are temporarily assigned to ground duty, then ties it all together as a larger plot emerges and war approaches again.

Sadly it ends with things only partially resolved. But thanks to Nozomi's on-disc liner notes I was able to find out what happened in the original novels, both in this story arc and beyond. The lack of comedy and character interaction that made the TV series so great hurts the OVA, but it was good to see the cast again.

Azalyn-chaaaaaan <3

fabricatedlunatic said:
But thanks to Nozomi's on-disc liner notes I was able to find out what happened in the original novels, both in this story arc and beyond.

They are pretty useful aren't they. ^_^

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Very good. Made up for Origins: Spirits of the Past I can tell you. Great story, better animation, both moving and at times shocking. Although you do have to ask yourself why anyone would put a level crossing through a steep valley in such a busy area of a major city.

Main downpoint for me was the beginning of the DVD. Two minutes of promos for the production companies past before the film actually began.

Score: 9 / 10

Deadman Wonderland
I'm annoyed with myself that I even watched this all the way though. Decent art and character designs marred by pretty much everything to do with the plot and a male lead I want to punch in the face. I really wanted to like it, what with its twisted warden, wronged hero and interesting premise. But no.

5/10 - so-so... and they've left it open for a possible sequel. Joy.

Fist of the North Star movie - 8/10

This is the manliest anime ever made. Brothers and best friends fighting to the death, heads and bodies exploding in showers of viscera, most female characters reduced to damsels in distress... and, er, a little girl growing a flower. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings and ultraviolence, so this is a film really hits the spot for me.

Fist was one of the first anime I watched, and I've always remembered it as looking dark and murky and grim, but the remastered DVD is absolutely stunning. Seriously, I can't believe how good this film looks all cleaned up; the level of detail and the vibrancy of colour is amazing. The image just pops off the screen.

It's a shame, then, about the variety of censorship techniques used obscure some of the film's goriest moments, as those parts look utterly dreadful in comparison to everything else. I'm not sure an entirely uncensored print exists anywhere, though, so it's something one just has to deal with.

fabricatedlunatic said:

This is the manliest anime ever made. Brothers and best friends fighting to the death, heads and bodies exploding in showers of viscera, most female characters reduced to damsels in distress... and, er, a little girl growing a flower. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings and ultraviolence, so this is a film really hits the spot for me.

Fist was one of the first anime I watched, and I've always remembered it as looking dark and murky and grim, but the remastered DVD is absolutely stunning. Seriously, I can't believe how good this film looks all cleaned up; the level of detail and the vibrancy of colour is amazing. The image just pops off the screen.

It's a shame, then, about the variety of censorship techniques used obscure some of the film's goriest moments, as those parts look utterly dreadful in comparison to everything else. I'm not sure an entirely uncensored print exists anywhere, though, so it's something one just has to deal with.
Excellent comments on a fantastic movie,yeah the remastered dvd is astounding to say the least,only gripe i have with the Discotek release is that it only contains the original theatrical ending,would have been nice to have the alternative ending also,a minor gripe to a otherwise fantastic release.

sic vita est said:
Deadman Wonderland
I'm annoyed with myself that I even watched this all the way though. Decent art and character designs marred by pretty much everything to do with the plot and a male lead I want to punch in the face. I really wanted to like it, what with its twisted warden, wronged hero and interesting premise. But no.

5/10 - so-so... and they've left it open for a possible sequel. Joy.
Hell, the series would have been much better if they'd manage to stretch the story to 24 episodes. I mean, wasn't the whole point of the story for the MC to find the Red Man and get revenge?

Professor Irony said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

How do you feel it compares with the series? Much as I like FotNS, I've never actually seen the film, as I've heard some very bad reviews in the past.
The movie is amazing and sure to please fans on the tv series but on the other hand it is a very condensed version of events of what happened in the tv series,then again trying to cram in events which spanned 109 episodes was never going to be easy so they mainly centered the story around the Shin arc and mainly features Jagi,Rei,Kenshiro,Yuria and Raoh,so there is no mention of toki or many other main arcs and characters of the manga and tv series like The Six Sacred Fists of the South Star or the Five Chariot stars,the movie is amazing but some people judge FOTNS on the movie alone while never actually seen the epic tv series,so for those of you who maybe disregard FOTNS after only watching the movie do yourself a favour and watch the tv series.

Professor Irony said:
How do you feel it compares with the series? Much as I like FotNS, I've never actually seen the film, as I've heard some very bad reviews in the past.
All I've seen of the TV series is the drum n' bass soundtrack travesty Manga shat out on their VHS release, which would be the first 20-odd episodes or something? I didn't think it was great, to be honest, but then it's supposed to start getting good shortly after Manga abandoned it. I'd definitely like to pick up Discotek's TV sets somewhere down the line. The film obviously has much faster pacing, rearranges some events with gleeful abandon, and leaves some questions unanswered, but as a spectacle it's absolutely worth watching.

@Doraemon
I read that Discotek were denied access to the alternate ending. Do correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it supposed to be more or less the same, anyway, just with a shot of Ken badly superimposed over the shot of Raoh walking away?

Professor Irony said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

Personally like Fabric I didn't really like what I saw of the series either, but the movie is a different beast..... well not that different to be honest, but its different enough where it counts: The increased OTT gore level, better animation (I think) and more compact nature of the film.

The movie is the only way to go as far as Fotns is concerned in my opinion. As Fabricated said it really is the manliest film ever. I still love that last fight.

Oh yeah and it has got heaps of bad reviews over the years, but honestly if you know what testosterone fest your getting yourself in for I would just ignore them. Also considering that you liked Golgo (which I personally don't) I can't imagine this would go down too badly.

So wait.. has it finally been released on DVD over here now?

vashdaman said:

Well, not over here, strictly speaking, but Discotek have been good enough to give us an R1 release.

I think I'd always assumed from what I'd read that the FotNS movie would be just a condensed version of the first arc from the series - basically a compilation movie with added gore. If they've shoehorned Raoh and Jagi in, I'm curious now.

Also I keep seeing screenshots of Ken with a beard. I think that is about as manly as it is possible to be without creating some sort of singularity.

fabricatedlunatic said:
All I've seen of the TV series is the drum n' bass soundtrack travesty Manga shat out on their VHS release

Hah yeah, I remember that being on C4. I hope it was a licensing issue and not 'making it better' that did away with the original OST for that one - FotNS without "YOU WA SHOCK" is not FotNS.

Well, Silent Survivor was all right, I guess...

Tiger & Bunny 19 - WARNING, HUGE ASS SPOILERS

Okay...I will admit, I was shaking during the latter half of the episode. I knew where it was going as soon as I clocked that Mr. Maverick's left hand was in his pocket the entire time. Still, that didn't prepare me for the impact of the event. Seeing Barnaby's whole world come crashing down on him like that; first he feels that his partner can't trust him, and now this; the one man he thought he could trust. We are slowly seeing the evils behind HERO TV...the evils behind justice...maybe Lunatic is right?

Kotetsu also needs to learn to open up more; maybe if he had just told Bunny outright that he's quitting because his powers are declining, maybe he wouldn't have taken it so bad? In fact, it's because Kotetsu is hiding something that Bunny did. Also, Kotetsu's Mum knows he's a hero; why can't he explain why he can't quit to her? These last couple of episodes, I've really wanted to slap Kotetsu.

9.5/10

Professor Irony said:
vashdaman said:

Well, not over here, strictly speaking, but Discotek have been good enough to give us an R1 release.

I think I'd always assumed from what I'd read that the FotNS movie would be just a condensed version of the first arc from the series - basically a compilation movie with added gore. If they've shoehorned Raoh and Jagi in, I'm curious now.

Also I keep seeing screenshots of Ken with a beard. I think that is about as manly as it is possible to be without creating some sort of singularity.

fabricatedlunatic said:
All I've seen of the TV series is the drum n' bass soundtrack travesty Manga shat out on their VHS release

Hah yeah, I remember that being on C4. I hope it was a licensing issue and not 'making it better' that did away with the original OST for that one - FotNS without "YOU WA SHOCK" is not FotNS.

Oh yeah Roah is definitely in the film, kinda comes out of nowhere though. For like three quarters of the run time the film exclusively builds up Shin as being the ultimate Baddie for Ken to take down, and then suddenly throws in Roah from out of the blue for good measure.

Still I enjoyed it, even though it was hard to get your head around how Ken's ultimate nemesis is this dude who came out of the blue 10 minutes ago. The last fight between them definitely makes up for it.

Professor Irony said:
vashdaman said:

fabricatedlunatic said:

heh heh just saw your small print there yeah i love Silent Survivor and Heart of Madness from the FOTNS movie is pure class,gotta love the Kodomo Band,they,re like a japanese version of 80,s AOR band survivor mostly known for eye of the tiger from Rocky 3 lol,ah AOR i know its crap but its a guilty pleasure and yeah your right about YOU WA SHOCK a classic opening and an amazing song.Yeah check out the movie asap especially if you liked the tv series(not the crappy Manga release,they really did do there best to put people off this classic series)as mentioned before the plot is shallow and characters just appear out of nowhere with really no explanation but its fast pace and OTT action and fights more than make up for it,just dont expect the great character development and epic story telling of the tv series,still a cult move though which would either put you of anime for life or make you fall in love with it. :)

Professor Irony said:
Though I cannot prove anything, I would lay a considerable sum of money on it being a "making it better" move from Manga. In those days they coveted the beer and curry crowd who, Manga apparently reasoned, would prefer some propa wicked innit drum n' bass over 80s Japanese rock.

sanji no 1 said:
Best anime soundtrack ever!!!

What? Clearly, you have never heard a Frenchman singing about Cobra.

Come to think of it, they had a pretty, uh... unique take on FotNS too.

Anyhow, I'm sold. I was going to order some R1 stuff anyway, so I'll get the FotNS film at the same time.

Oh, incidentally, I saw a youtube comment from someone the other night - "My child's first words were 'You Wa Shock'". :D

Professor Irony said:
Oh, incidentally, I saw a youtube comment from someone the other night - "My child's first words were 'You Wa Shock'". :D
Oh man, how proud would you be?

Speaking of tuneage, my favourite part of the movie is the scene towards the end where Heart of Madness plays. Epic, spine-tingling stuff. As for Raoh, I thought he was set up as the main antagonist early in the piece. Considering how much ground it covers, I reckon the movie stands alone pretty well.

Really? In my memory there is very little mention of Raoh at all until Ken takes out Shin, and then he starts popping up.

Still I agree considering how much ground it covers it doesn't do too bad.

Back