Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

wasn't aware of that. did they say she was the only one who could play with others toys, or was it that she was the only one they tried with? last i saw the series was ages ago.

Reaper gI said:
CDAdair said:
Watched Evangelion 2.22 last night.
Very cool.
Easier to understand than the series, everyone's still nuts, huge hooking robot/god things blowing up stuff.
Looking forward to Evangelion Q, or 3, or whatever its going to be called.
8/10
:)
That's the Japanese title, like 2.22 is Ha. It's an alternate spelling of 急.
No idea what the English title will be.

Just realised how much cannon it's changed, children other than Rei can pilot others' evas. That's a big, big change.
At this point, it may as well be "You Can (Not) Watch".

As for the canon changing; considering how when Asuka was piloting Unit 3, it kinda went crazy and had to be viewed as the 9th angel...maybe they still can't pilot another's unit properly? Also, although the dummy systen worked with Unit 1 once, the second time they tried it, the Unit rejected it.

But then again...we have Mari hijacking Unit 2...*scratches head*. Unless it happens again, I'd say Anno had a brain fart.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the pilot. maybe its up to the machine (slash) god thing to decide who works it.

Although cool, i would have liked them to just revamp Asukas` intro reather than remake it, jumping from ship to ship was pretty fun. and the strudel bit, where'd that go? :lol:

CDAdair said:
Maybe it has nothing to do with the pilot. maybe its up to the machine (slash) god thing to decide who works it.

Although cool, i would have liked them to just revamp Asukas` intro reather than remake it, jumping from ship to ship was pretty fun. and the strudel bit, where'd that go? :lol:
spoilers for the original.
It's up to the eva's soul. Which in the original had to belong to the pilots mother, or the pilot had to be Rei (including dummy plugs) or Kaoru(except for unit-01, he can control the others freely as they're made from his (Adam's) flesh)

It's a new Asuka, they changed her personality (and background?) as well as her name so lots of scenes with her would need redoing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaper gI said:
It's a new Asuka, they changed her personality (and background?) as well as her name so lots of scenes with her would need redoing.
I didn't pick that up on my first viewing, I'm going to have to watch again. They'd better not mess with her too much. The characters in Eva are supposed to be f*cked up - that's one of the reasons I love them.

Asuka is still as messed up, if not more so. In the movie she's more overtly misanthropic but she also shows her frailties a lot sooner. Overall her personality doesn't seem radically different to how I remember it from the TV series, but it has been a while since I watched that version.

Rei's different to from what i remember too. A lot warmer though still withdrawn. at least pen pen is the same :p

ayase said:
Reaper gI said:
I didn't pick that up on my first viewing, I'm going to have to watch again. They'd better not mess with her too much. The characters in Eva are supposed to be f*cked up - that's one of the reasons I love them.
She's no longer an oyajicon, and she's shifted to being a more modern tsundere (rather than just being a total bitch initialy, then her facade breaking).

ayase said:
I had to look that word up. You mean she doesn't fancy Kaji any more?
He's been largely written out so far, there's been no aparent interest when he did show up. She's interested in men her own age, or Shinji at least. Whereas before she just held them in disdain.

rahxephon 7/10 i find this anime to be a lil like eav but crap. its ok i guess i haven't watched the movie but the series i just couldn't get in to but next time il give it a nother go and i might change my opinion on it

fabricatedlunatic said:
This boiling down of characters to a set of clearly defined traits is depressing.
Isn't it? What happened to empathising with characters instead of subjecting them to a slapdash psychoanalysis and pigeon-holing them in a single definition?

animefreak17 said:
rahxephon 7/10 i find this anime to be a lil like eav but crap. its ok i guess i haven't watched the movie but the series i just couldn't get in to but next time il give it a nother go and i might change my opinion on it

7/10 for something crap? How bad must something be to get say a 3/10?

ayase said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
This boiling down of characters to a set of clearly defined traits is depressing.
Isn't it? What happened to empathising with characters instead of subjecting them to a slapdash psychoanalysis and pigeon-holing them in a single definition?
There's still the great irony that that was caused by evangelion in the first place.
If all your core audience only care about if a character has a certain set of traits or not, and you have next to no chance of expading to a general audience, why develop them further?

This is how otaku consume media, unless they stop pandering to otaku it's set to stay this way.

Lawrence said:
ayase said:
I had to look that word up. You mean she doesn't fancy Kaji any more?

Not necessarily, I don't think they are even on screen together during Eangelion 2.22 so it's hard to really say. I'm just going to assume she is still infatuated until proven otherwise.
Aye; Asuka and Kaji were never on screen together. Kaji was only really shown groping Ritsuko's melons, farming his melons and looking sexfully at Misato. Oh, and pretending to hit on Shinji, and talking to Gendo the Pimp.

I also noticed the movie really rushed the whole "Asuka <3s Shinji" thing was really rushed. It's like, they only just met, and Asuka wants in Shinji's pants.

Reaper gI said:
ayase said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
There's still the great irony that that was caused by evangelion in the first place.
If all your core audience only care about if a character has a certain set of traits or not, and you have next to no chance of expading to a general audience, why develop them further?
But not all anime characters are so shallow. In fact I'd say a lot aren't; only the lowest common denominator shows produce the one dimensional characters. There does seem to be a tendency to tar more developed characters from better shows with the same simple brushes ("Oh, X behaves in this manner, that makes her a tsundere, etc.") when actually, there is a lot more to them. And that's a shame.

Reaper gI said:
This is how otaku consume media, unless they stop pandering to otaku it's set to stay this way.
I'm going to play along: a character can stay the same within their own set of traits (let's call it personality) while developing in a realistic fashion. It doesn't mean the shy girl next door has to jump from A to Z, but she's allowed to slowly step from A to B otherwise... why bother? What's the point?

mangaman74 said:
animefreak17 said:

7/10 for something crap? How bad must something be to get say a 3/10?
i dont like to give a bad overall
there are stages
11 is over the 10 ( this means it was so freakin amazing it broke my senses and went over 10

9-10 I really really really liked it
7-8 it was good
ect ect ect
it was like eva but not as good as eva i ment to say

ayase said:
But not all anime characters are so shallow. In fact I'd say a lot aren't; only the lowest common denominator shows produce the one dimensional characters. There does seem to be a tendency to tar more developed characters from better shows with the same simple brushes ("Oh, X behaves in this manner, that makes her a tsundere, etc.") when actually, there is a lot more to them. And that's a shame.
A certain amount has to be that anime was originaly kids shows, and it's kept the genre conventions.
Still with eva as an example:
It draws a lot from various tokusatsu shows,
why we have our heros piloting mecha colour coded to match their plugsuits.
We have the same city being constantly attacked by monsters
the city itself appears to bare extensive elements of Gerry Anderson (no idea if they got to Japan, but there's similarites, like colour coordination of characters in Captain Scarlet, with tokusatsu)

A certain amount of needing to be easy to label has to be a holdup from being kids TV, and needing to make characters clearly distinct from each other. Also adds strong apearance, personality/action links.

Back