Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Professor Irony said:
VivisQueen said:
Ga Rei Zero:

I know some people really seem to rate Ga Rei Zero and the 'false' opening is a neat idea, but I always got the impression, from what images and clips I've seen, that it was kind of crass and exploitative (and not in a good way). Is it just that people would be screencapping the baser, more servicey parts of the show?

I think so. I'm allergic to fanservice so any substantial amount of it leads to convulsions and bleeding from the ears. Ga Rei Zero had maybe 1% of what you might call 'fanservice', which means the girls are such amazingly best buddies that they rub each other's backs in the bath and share pocky sticks whereby they nibble their way to the middle. I don't remember panty shots (I wouldn't be surprised if there was maybe one or max two). It's really a serious story. Or rather, a story that tries to be taken seriously but is not scripted with enough sophistication to warrant the comparisons to Berserk and Gungrave that got me interested in the first place.

Can't say anything about the manga, by the way. Maybe that is crass and exploitative.

Professor Irony said:
Is it just that people would be screencapping the baser, more servicey parts of the show?
That's all that normaly gets screencapped form a show: except for animation errors and doing comparison shots between differnt relases.

Ah, fair does - I was actually under the impression it was more or less a straight-up yuri series.

Reaper gI said:
That's all that normaly gets screencapped form a show: except for animation errors and doing comparison shots between differnt relases.

I'd like to refute that, but yeah... this is the internet.

Reaper gI said:
Professor Irony said:
Is it just that people would be screencapping the baser, more servicey parts of the show?
Guess it depends which blogs you read, because I can think of several that don't do this.

Gundam 00 - 8/10

I am honestly surprised I'm rating this series that highly, it started off with a lot of whack moments but kept a steady pace and was interesting enough. It wasn't until the Trinity made their first appearence this show actually gripped me, it got so much more interesting and I actually looked forward to watching more. Some of the characters were truly irritating and some of them didn't seem to have much relevance at first (Saji/Louise for example) but the show went along and gave them a fair bit of development so they did redeem it somewhat. A lot of characters died too and I was honestly glad they did, I was getting tired of the Gundam's only getting their lead paint scratched, some deaths I actually cared about, others not so much.

******* Lockon man.

Music was pretty baller too, but then again I expect no less from Kenji Kawai.

Last edited by a moderator:
Casshern sins part 1
8/10
So far so good. Definitely worth checking out!

Goods things:
Great animation
Fantastic fight scenes
Beautiful backgrounds

bad things
A bit depressing
not much of a story

Wind Named Amnesia - 2/10

I'm going to spoil the plot of this movie (or what I could discern) because I doubt anyone cares about it and certainly won't be rushing out to buy a copy.

So basically an alien race has been watching over earth since humans first appeared on it, and have spent all those millions of years procrastinating over whether to liberate humanity and take them all back to planet Awesome. Eventually they decide to instantaneously wipe the memory of every human on earth, thereby reducing them to primitive beings. Why? To see how they cope without civilisation and to determine whether or not they are worthy of being saved or whatever. But wait... haven't they been watching over humanity since the very beginning? Why, yes. Yes they have. So they should know that it's not pretty, right? Indeed.

The protagonist is an 18 year-old Japanese kid named Wataru. At first he's as feral as everyone else, but then he meets a wheelchair-bound kid in a battle against a telekinetic zombie thing, and helps him out. It turns out ol' four wheels can speak and uses a brain machine to re-educate Wataru. (I'm not making this **** up btw.)

Long, boring story short, Wataru ends up being the only person on earth who remembers anything from before the apocalypse, except for a mysterious silver-haired woman with whom he travels across America, and who turns out to be one of the aliens. Along the way they meet some other folks and the writers foist upon the hapless viewer some heavy-handed messages about how humanity functions in the absence of civilisation. Booooring.

Oh, and Wataru is being chased around by a mecha thing for some reason. And there's some nipple sucking at the end - that's essentially what the two points are for.

I actually thought that one was okay, but it felt like it should have been a three part mini-series rather a single film. Possibly file under "nice idea, lousy execution".

It may also help that I saw it on tv at the time Sci-Fi's other anime programming mostly consisted of stuff like Adventure Kid (and I can think of exactly two things wrong with that title).

The pacing is definitely off. It jumps about all over the place, from subplot to subplot, and 75 minutes just wasn't enough for this supposedly epic journey across America.

My plot analysis may not be a hundred percent correct as I was drifting in and out of consciousness the whole time, but I'm pretty sure it makes no sense and is full of holes.

the whole day i watch every single episode of the series *solty rei* it made me wanna watch it all in one day thats how good it was.
it puts you in to thinking ok it looks like this series is going to be like *get backers* but after watching all the series it put me on the edge of my seat there was funnies, heart wrenching sadness. i recommend you guys watch this anime. but some people have different opinions but i really liked this anime so i give it a 9/10
why minus 1 from 10
because of the extra episodes at the end i would of preferred them in the middle of the series

fabricatedlunatic said:
Wind Named Amnesia - 2/10

I'm going to spoil the plot of this movie (or what I could discern) because I doubt anyone cares about it and certainly won't be rushing out to buy a copy.

So basically an alien race has been watching over earth since humans first appeared on it, and have spent all those millions of years procrastinating over whether to liberate humanity and take them all back to planet Awesome. Eventually they decide to instantaneously wipe the memory of every human on earth, thereby reducing them to primitive beings. Why? To see how they cope without civilisation and to determine whether or not they are worthy of being saved or whatever. But wait... haven't they been watching over humanity since the very beginning? Why, yes. Yes they have. So they should know that it's not pretty, right? Indeed.

The protagonist is an 18 year-old Japanese kid named Wataru. At first he's as feral as everyone else, but then he meets a wheelchair-bound kid in a battle against a telekinetic zombie thing, and helps him out. It turns out ol' four wheels can speak and uses a brain machine to re-educate Wataru. (I'm not making this **** up btw.)

Long, boring story short, Wataru ends up being the only person on earth who remembers anything from before the apocalypse, except for a mysterious silver-haired woman with whom he travels across America, and who turns out to be one of the aliens. Along the way they meet some other folks and the writers foist upon the hapless viewer some heavy-handed messages about how humanity functions in the absence of civilisation. Booooring.

Oh, and Wataru is being chased around by a mecha thing for some reason. And there's some nipple sucking at the end - that's essentially what the two points are for.

Where did you watch this? Hook me up, aniki.

Hyper Police 7/10

Been meaning to give this a rewatch for ages now. Basic premise - post apocalyptic japan where 'monsters' aka furries live far outnumbering humans and where a group of said monsters work as bounty hunters. Sounds reasonably action packed but mostly is comedy/drama with far less action than one would expect. Not bad certainly -it is rather fun but just very lightweight and occasionally boring. Ultimately slightly disappointed.

Hyper Police is a bit like Patlabor, only with furries. And no robots. And shallow characters. It's fun but you'll want to look elsewhere for any substance.
--------------

Summer Wars - 5/10

Well, I finished it, but after seeing how cheesy the ending was I kind of wish I hadn't. At times this movie wallows in pure Hollywood schmaltz.

I think the problem I have with Summer Wars is that it tries to be too many things, and it's none of them convincingly. It doesn't work as a romantic comedy because the leads are painfully dull and there's practically no romantic development between them. As a family drama it's partially successful thanks to the film's one strong character, but most of the rest of the large ensemble cast are non-entities as individuals and do nothing but make noise as a collective. I never really cared about any of them. And the Oz thing I found incongruous and outlandish at best and completely uninteresting at worst. Again, I found it difficult to care.

On the plus side Summer Wars is occasionally amusing and always beautifully animated. One scene in particular, in which two characters hold hands, was moving simply because of the subtle but fluid animation of their fingers intertwining.

Bit gutted, really, as I love The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and now I'll approach Hosoda's next work with less enthusiasm.

I'm currently watching Touch (episode 21). The romance/drama is superb, seriously indescribably good because the characters are characterised with sophistication and loving detail (I love you, Mitsuru Adachi). But in the last couple of eps, we've hit the baseball tournaments heading for Koushien and it's reaaallly dull. I am wondering if I've now hit the infamous filler I heard so much about or if the drama continues for a little while longer.

fabricatedlunatic said:
now I'll approach Hosoda's next work
Shame you didn't like Summer Wars, but I would be happy enough if we knew what this was going to be, so that we could look forward to it with our varying levels of anticipation.

bamboo blade 10/10 in my opinion bamboo blade is a simple anime with funny characters, the character development is great, and it teaches you * "IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, TRY, TRY AGAIN. *it might be a high score but i really enjoyed this anime

fabricatedlunatic said:
Hyper Police is a bit like Patlabor, only with furries. And no robots. And shallow characters. It's fun but you'll want to look elsewhere for any substance.
--------------

Summer Wars - 5/10

Well, I finished it, but after seeing how cheesy the ending was I kind of wish I hadn't. At times this movie wallows in pure Hollywood schmaltz.

I think the problem I have with Summer Wars is that it tries to be too many things, and it's none of them convincingly. It doesn't work as a romantic comedy because the leads are painfully dull and there's practically no romantic development between them. As a family drama it's partially successful thanks to the film's one strong character, but most of the rest of the large ensemble cast are non-entities as individuals and do nothing but make noise as a collective. I never really cared about any of them. And the Oz thing I found incongruous and outlandish at best and completely uninteresting at worst. Again, I found it difficult to care.

On the plus side Summer Wars is occasionally amusing and always beautifully animated. One scene in particular, in which two characters hold hands, was moving simply because of the subtle but fluid animation of their fingers intertwining.

Bit gutted, really, as I love The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and now I'll approach Hosoda's next work with less enthusiasm.

Yeah these are pretty much my feelings on Summer Wars as well. I felt like it tried to be too much and in my opinion would have been better without the weak sci-fi elements to it. The main characters were indeed a little dull, and the whole thing was painfully chessy on the whole.It had some moments, but still Whoever compared this film to a miyazaki one was way off the mark.

I too much preferred The Gil Who Lept Through Time.

Am I the only one who thought that Summer Wars was good? Ok I was slightly dissapointed with the ending, and as a whole it's nowhere near as good as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but still, I think it's quite an enjoyable watch.

My main gripe is the fact that Natsuki lacks the screen time she needs, the romance side of the story could've worked out better if she was around more in my opinion and is therefore the only thing that I can think of at this time that should've been improved.

Back