Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Kanon 2006 - 9/10 Absolutely loved this series, having already seen Clannad/Air I was expecting something good and more than good is what I got, also the urge to make taiyaki! :)

butch-cassidy said:
Destiny of the shrine maiden - 3/10
It's like the yuri and the mecha are divided by each other instead of multiplying into awesomeness. I didn't dislike it quite as much as you apparently did, but yeah.

ilmaestro said:
butch-cassidy said:
Destiny of the shrine maiden - 3/10
It's like the yuri and the mecha are divided by each other instead of multiplying into awesomeness. I didn't dislike it quite as much as you apparently did, but yeah.
Oh god that adaptation was bad.
Manga had way less focus on the mecha, and much more on Chikane.

Escaflowne
8.5/10
a very good anime as expected from Sunrise

Good things
FANTASTIC animation
great mecha battles
a very nice dream-like atsmosphere
some good romance between the characters

Bad things
Was very slow at times
got slightly boring towards the end
some characters seemed pointless
ending was forgetable.

Lupin III:

I blame you, Professor Irony, and your carefully crafted video review that made me think there was something worthwhile in this show. In contrast with your assessment, although the first few episodes by Masaaki Osumi are indeed crass, they held my attention much better than the Miyazaki/Takahata efforts later. The famous duo basically polished the show clean, leaving only the dull, regurgitated heist formula to struggle to keep my attention. At least the crude violence and unapologetic misogyny in the start offered me some grit to chew through, some sense of the absurd to keep me bemusedly intrigued. You know, I could feel something, even if it was just sheer offense. As is, I will only remember Lupin III because it was a complete chore to wade through.

4/10

I'm... genuinely surprised - I rather thought you'd have gotten on better with it after you mentioned how much you liked Cagliostro.

It's certainly fair to say that, even under team soon-to-be Ghibli, the series never really rises above the formula and the plotlines are pretty unsophisticated compared to the film. Even so, I found it quite charming, in a light hearted sort of a way and I thought it was interesting to see the episodes that obviously inspired elements of Cagliostro.

Nevertheless, I do feel that the great tragedy of Lupin is that Castle of Cagliostro was the exception rather than the rule. I can't speak for the entire franchise, but certainly nothing I've seen so far has really come close to that film.

I went in with expectations that Cagliostro was the exception; I was not expecting sophistication from the series. But I don't think I was prepared for just how repetitive it was. Individually each episode was passable and I think the first few had a bit of shock value due to their sleaze. But damn by the fifth episode it's like Chinese torture. One drop on the skin is nothing, twenty-three drops later and we're squirming for any other kind of stimulation.

I've come to the conclusion that Cagliostro only maintains the quaint gimmicks of the original show but actually wraps it up in a whole new story structure, injects it with a soul, and brings art to the direction. Take Lupin: he is utterly cool in the movie - a convincing precursor to Spike Spiegel - but in the series, he's just a clown. It's like Myazaki went 'Oh thank **** I am not catering to a half-hour, pervy granddad audience anymore. Right, roll up the sleeves, time to get serious about slapstick!'

Have you thought about checking out some of the yearly films that have been produced? There's a couple of gems in there from the little I've seen of it.

One of my favourites is The Fuma Conspiracy. It's the closest in tone to Cagliostro, and being an OVA has some of the best art and animation of the franchise (possibly second only to Cagliostro).

The first theatrical movie, Secret of Mamo, is an interesting piece. This Lupin is closer to how you describe the non-Miyazaki TV episodes (which I haven't seen); it's a bit trippy at times, more adult in tone, and Lupin himself is a much less honourable character. Plus, the DVD is 3 quid at Amazon.

I'd also recommend First Contact, a retelling of how Lupin and the gang first met; and Walther P-38 / Island of Assassins for being the darkest and most violent Lupin movie I've seen. Dead or Alive is good as well.

It crossed my mind to mention The Fuma Conspiracy as well, but I wasn't too sure. I like that one as well, but it's a pretty straightforward, Indiana Jones-style caper, when you get right down to it. It's a little darker than the Miyahata (see what I did thar) tv episodes and it does offer a bit of development for Goemon, so it might still be a good shout.

I kinda hated Mamo the first time I saw it, but I warmed to it a bit more latterly. It's the absolute opposite of Cagliostro though and yeah, it's definitely closer to the Osumi part of the first series. If anything, I'd say it's closer to Osumi's work than the red jacket tv season, despite that version being well underway at the time Mamo was released.

Embarassingly, I still have First Contact, Dead or Alive and Lupin vs. Conan sitting unwatched, but I think I'll pick up P-38 as well when I get a chance.

Thanks guys! I have added some to my list: Island of Assassins, Fuma Conspiracy, First Contact, and Secret of Mamo. They seem like a good sample of the Lupin franchise experience.

Fuma Conspiracy is one of the strongest Lupin features,mind you i,m abit biased when it comes to lupin,but you cant go wrong with this one,its got everything you love about lupin and it moves at a exellent fast pace and gets you hooked from the start,a big fun goofy adventure from start to finish,and also at the time of release was the only lupin anime since the pilot not to feature Yasuo Yamada(R.I.P)as the voice of lupin and is the only time Jigen has not been voiced by Kiyoshi Kobayashi due to budget problems at the time,even with these problems it turned out to be one of the best features in the lupin franchise.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the DVD for Fuma? I've still got my old subbed VHS but I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading for the sake of the dub and the commentary track.

I have the Fuma DVD. I've not listened to the commentary but the remastered transfer is lovely and clean. The film itself is a fairly straightforward action caper, true, but what matters is that it looks good doing it =)

And yes, it's a different Lupin in Fuma. That's not a bad thing, though, at least not for me, as it was one of my favourite voice actors, Toshio Furukawa (Ataru in UY, Azuma in Patlabor), who stepped in to voice him. I actually wish he'd done more, as Yasudo Yamada and Kanichi Kurita's voices kind of grate on me.

... is it okay to say that? :p

fabricatedlunatic said:
I have the Fuma DVD. I've not listened to the commentary but the remastered transfer is lovely and clean. The film itself is a fairly straightforward action caper, true, but what matters is that it looks good doing it =)

And yes, it's a different Lupin in Fuma. That's not a bad thing, though, at least not for me, as it was one of my favourite voice actors, Toshio Furukawa (Ataru in UY, Azuma in Patlabor), who stepped in to voice him. I actually wish he'd done more, as Yasudo Yamada and Kanichi Kurita's voices kind of grate on me.

... is it okay to say that? :p
yeah Toshi Furukawa is one of my fave voice actors ever and he really done well in the role of Lupin,his voice just really suits the character and as you said it would have been good to see him do more in the role but at the end of the day there is only one Lupin for me and it will always be the late Yasuo Yamada who actually requested Kanichi Kurita to replace him after he sadly passed away.

Dragonball z movie: History of Trunks
a fun movie. One of the better Dragonball z movies

Good things:
Good action
good animation
Had some interesting character development which is different of Dragonaball

Bad things:
Too short

noir 7/10 spoilers if you haven't seen (noir)

i was a good series to watch but i hate blonde main character. she acts like shes the victim and would kill to get the info she wants but and there was the one part where a man was trying to atone for all the bad things he did for years by feeding the community and they shoot him and the part where the issue of child abuse comes in but besides that is was a good series

Back