Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

ilmaestro said:
My issue is not whether the English dub is good or otherwise, if that's your thing. It's the fact that you would watch it in the first place to find out! I can think of few types of show that seem less appropriate for a "foreign" dub.
Brother was viewing it and tbh, I often find myself watching the dub when its on DVD. Here are my reasons threefold: 1) The subtitles are fugly. 2) Dub is default. 3) I like consuming information in the easiest manner, especially when its on a big[ger]-screen. Haruhi, for all intents and purposes, works in any language. I accept there's an otaku-barrier but when you don't realise that exists, it's nothing more than another quirky character or banal reference.

My brain parsed every clause of that post as "I'm lazy and don't care about artistic integrity" :p

I couldn't disagree more with the notion that Haruhi doesn't have an innate "Japanese-ness" to it on some fundamental level (inb4 link to some PR statement about how much the Japanese creators love the English dub or somesuch).

ouran high school ................................................., amazing truly amazing, its so funny i think this animes the best anime iv ever laughed at, enjoyable very enjoyable to watch, at the beginning i thought it was a ecchi anime only for girls but i say its for guys who love a laugh and can see the M.O.E ecchi of what otaku girls like.
its really a animes that can be watched over and over and over again.
over all total 11/10

animefreak17 said:
ouran high school ................................................., amazing truly amazing, its so funny i think this animes the best anime iv ever laughed at, enjoyable very enjoyable to watch, at the beginning i thought it was a ecchi anime only for girls but i say its for guys who love a laugh and can see the M.O.E ecchi of what otaku girls like.
its really a animes that can be watched over and over and over again.
over all total 11/10
Can you repeat in English, using sentances and punctuation?

Do you mean:
Ouran Higschool Host Club...
, amazing, truely amazing, it's so funny. I think this anime's the best anime I've ever laughed at. Enjoyable, very enjoyable, to watch. At the beginning I thought it was [might be would be, not sure] an ecchi anime only for girls but I can say it's for guys who love a laugh and [what the hell does this bit mean].
It's realy an anime that can be watched over and over again.
Overall total 11/10

Still no clue on that one sentance though.

Bamboo Blade - 6/10

Two thirds of Bamboo Blade is good fun. I'm not a fan of sports anime, and while Bamboo Blade shares some of the things that annoy me about the genre, I didn't mind because it's primarily a comedy. In fact the sidelines commentary that to me is usually like nails on a chalkboard actually proved useful because I don't know the first thing about kendo. The show has a cast of lively, attractively designed characters with distinct personalities, and even though there's not much more to them than a few quirks, it's enjoyable to watch them play off one another. (In the case of Kirino and Saya, it's fun to imagine them playing with one another ^____^)

Towards the end the show becomes more dramatic, an issue because a) I like Bamboo Blade more when it's not taking itself seriously, and b) the characters don't have the depth to pull off drama. Two stupid rival characters are introduced in consecutive episodes and it's they, along with a couple of peripheral characters dragged back into the spotlight, who act as the catalyst for the Kendo-related crises of several cast members. Worst of all, their problems are resolved in horrendously cliché fashion within an episode. By the final disc it was a struggle to keep watching.

Bamboo Blade would have been better as a 13-episode show. That way the anime staff wouldn't have needed to concoct their own drama-filled ending, and I wouldn't have grown weary of the characters' antics.

ilmaestro said:
I don't see what the novels have to do with it, but I am myself, yes. Not even close to up-to-date, mind.
Oh, my point was that it's all different interpretations of an original text. I need to start reading the books again, too. Got up to Disappearance.

Jaymii said:
ilmaestro said:
I don't see what the novels have to do with it, but I am myself, yes. Not even close to up-to-date, mind.
Oh, my point was that it's all different interpretations of an original text. I need to start reading the books again, too. Got up to Disappearance.
It's not suposed to be a differnt interpretation, it's supposed to be a straight translation of the Japanese.
It's still suposed to be Ishihara Tatsuya's version, not some reinterpretation by Bang Zoom.

Jaymii said:
ilmaestro said:
Oh dear, I hoping to not have to respond again in this line of discussion, but that sounds far too much like when the localization team are referred to (or refer to themselves as) the writer and/or director of xxx show, rather than just of the USA localization.

Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (Warning: Spoilers)

Oh how the title makes so much sense after watching the movie. I felt the title of this one was far more poignant than Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone. You Can (Not) Advance is now ranked with Memories of Nobody (Bleach movie 1) as my favourite titles.

I'll be honest, from a narrative point of view, I felt that the previous film was a bit of a mess - a good film, but a messy one. 2.22 doesn't really improve on that much (Does 10 minutes go by without a desperate struggle against an Angel?). However, unlike the last film, this film had a lot more to distract me from the messy story: The characters. No, I'm not talking about the new additions to Rebuild; Asuka and Mari, I'm talking mainly about Rei Ayanami (Which is funny, as from watching the original series, I prefered Asuka over Rei).

What has turned me to Rei's side is merely one part of what I feel makes the film's title You Can (Not) Advance a very fitting one. I don't really think there's a need to state this, but Rei is known for being the quiet type. I felt the way that Rei slowly opened up to Shinji (which in fact started, albeit slowly, in the first film) was incredibly powerful. I myself am a quiet person who does the occasional token gesture, so I found the whole Dinner-Party thing to be my favourite aspect of this movie. In the build up, we had Rei changing, becoming more human. Asuka changing, becoming more concerned about Shinji (shipping flags went crazy around this point in the movie!), Gendo getting closer to his son and even Shinji was started to smile - it was as if they were advancing. Oh wait, you can not advance. Angel attack - everything comes to a grinding halt (and perhaps even goes on rewind). The way things started to advance, then stopped truly shows something we can relate to in every day life - how we want to move on from things, but suddenly, are thrown back into the depths of it.
Evangelion is one massive mind ****. However, this time, I feel that Hideaki Anno decided, instead of confusing his audience, to help them understand the human aspect to this series - and from this film alone, I'll be more than willing to give a thumbs up and a pat on the back for it. Even now, I'm waiting for that tea party with Gendo, Shinji, Rei, Asuka and Misato to happen.

That said though, there were a couple of things I wasn't happy about with this film. A couple of things with breasts - Asuka and Mari. Aside from Asuka creating a bit of a love triangle with Shinji and Rei; the two of them did nothing of importance in this entire movie. I will hold my breath though; being a writer of a planned series, I understand the need to introduce some characters before they become important to the plot, to show your audience that they are there. From the brief 3.0 preview, it seems like Mari will play a larger role in the next installment though. Oh, and Asuka has an eye-patch, which is kinda sexy in a weird way.

The main question is - when the hell will we see 3.0? Nothing is known about a Japanese release (despite 2.0 being out for 2 years in Japan) and FUNimation obviously haven't been told the English title, as "Q" (the Japanese title) was used in the preview.

And lastly, a few minor points: Would it really have killed the staff to make even 10 more minutes to allow Asuka to interact more with Shinji?
How can they can show Rei's nipples but not Asuka's?
And way to go Shinji; your whining and indecisiveness was irritating before, but here you go and cause the third impact - no wonder Gendo's always frowning!

Score: 9.0 / 10

You're Under Arrest OVAs

I felt a bit unsure whether or not to do this review, mainly because the OVAs actually connect into the TV series unlike the ones for Oh! My Goddess! But I can see this as a pilot series for all intents and purposes, which is why I'm writing this.

Overall I Just simply love anything to do with Kosuke Fujishima, whether it be the afforementioned O!MG or even his character designs for the Tales series, his artwork to me is instantly recognisable, unique and just plain awesome, but let us get onto the show.

These four OVAs are a good watch, the animation is excellent such as that at the beginning of File 3 when Natsumi wakes up realising she's late for work, or the various car chases throughout this series, our dynamic duo of Miyuki and Natsumi are possibly one of the best duos I've seen in Anime, equivilant to Starsky and Hutch I guess you could say, and even the, dare I say, secondary characters of Ken, Yoriko and Chief Kachou are a vibrant and diverse bunch of characters that I'm sure won't leave my mind anytime soon.

9/10

Watched Evangelion 2.22 last night.
Very cool.
Easier to understand than the series, everyone's still nuts, huge hooking robot/god things blowing up stuff.
Looking forward to Evangelion Q, or 3, or whatever its going to be called.
8/10
:)

CDAdair said:
Watched Evangelion 2.22 last night.
Very cool.
Easier to understand than the series, everyone's still nuts, huge hooking robot/god things blowing up stuff.
Looking forward to Evangelion Q, or 3, or whatever its going to be called.
8/10
:)
That's the Japanese title, like 2.22 is Ha. It's an alternate spelling of 急.
No idea what the English title will be.

Just realised how much cannon it's changed, children other than Rei can pilot others' evas. That's a big, big change.

Back