Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

With GTO being my favouritist manga, and Onizuka being the ultimate male character, it almost went without saying that I'd love City Hunter, purely because of how similar Ryo is to Oni. I knew only a few minutes into the first episode - when Ryo went under the table/felt-up his client - how much I'd love it.

As of yet, I haven't watched any of your video reviews because of a combination of a lack of titles of interest and your nationality. However, I would watch and grade a CH video review, for I am kind.

I got my bitch to order S2-P2 of CH for me, from TRS. But it's a bummer the rest is impossible to get...

Kurau is also available from Amazon sellers, on the cheap. Naturally, I own the complete R1 art box, thanks to SS, but not everyone can be like me.

Ghost Hunt is a much better version of Yakumo, to be more precise.

AironicallyHuman said:
Kurau is also available from Amazon sellers, on the cheap. Naturally, I own the complete R1 art box, thanks to SS, but not everyone can be like me.

Six ADV volumes of Kurau, plus artbox, = $15.99 + $10 P & P = under the customs limit from TRSI.

Of course I purchased at such a price... If you are into the central characters, then it's a great bit of entertainment. The Bones animation isn't quite pretty too. But if you are bothered with trivialities like plot, narrative, internal consistency, the supporting characters... You may be a little deflated.

I enjoyed it, and I won't even mind rewatching it. But it has too many flaws to make me genuinely enthusiastic about it.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episodes 10-13:
Oh look, this set starts off with a typical "Let's see what normal people are doing" with Saji and Louise that lasts a few seconds. Saji, grow some balls and become a useful character already.

Episode 10 is obviously a direct continuation of episode 9, and it's nice to see Tieria's ego put into check (lol you ruined the mission plan this time - go cry! xD). Hallelujah finally shown his battle potential; and it was truly badass; it's so fun to watch him tormenting people! [/I'mNotEvil].

Also, when the HRL fired that gel on the Virtue, am I the only one thinking "Would that even happen in space?" I mean, laser beams are one thing...but gel?

To quote Sergei Smirnov: "The Big One has more thrust?".

Episode 11. First thing, lol@Darryl Dodge's stereotypical 'Black' voice. I can't take him seriously now; like I could anyway with a name like that.

Damn it Tieria, don't blame Sumeragi for your mistakes. Luckily, Lockon was there to shut him up. This episode, despite a rocky start, really kicked off. During my first watch, Lockon Stratos was definitely my favourite character, but re-watching...Allelujah is pretty close to the mark. To be honest, I wish the series focused on the Super Soldier Institute longer. Oh well. Still one of the better episodes out of those I've re-watched so far. The ending with Sumeragi and Allelujah was pretty nice; and not pointless unlike Saji >>

Episode 12...Starting it off by throwing religion into the mix xD People must love that Rasa, they keep on saying his name (seriously...) and he's the only one wearing a bright colour =3

Louise tricking her Mum into liking Saji with a sob story is so far, the only bit involving those two that I've liked. This episode is really highlighting why politics and religion really shouldn't mix together. It was kind of heartbreaking to see Setsuna shunned when walking around Azhadistan; despite the fact that Krugis is now a part of them. The biggest thing though? Setsuna shown...emotion! It was definitely a powerful episode, with the Religion/Politics motif and Setsuna's flashbacks...although it didn't reach me as much as the previous episode did. Probably because at this point, Marina is a wet blanket and before this episode, Setsuna shown no emotion.

Episode 13 now. Well, Sumeragi had some balls suggesting Setsuna go to the palace unarmed. Although, if the AEU or palace guards saw a weapon, they'd assume the worst and attack.

Also, wtf is this "I am a Gundam" thing Setsuna keeps on going on about? Is it because he's either got an Irishman, a Brat, a nutcase or a Kurdish man inside him? Eww.

Overall, I'd say this batch is the best so far; although the first episode wasn't that strong, the other 3 made up for it. I just hope the next disc can manage to be better than this one.

8/10

Stuart-says-yes said:
Lol, I assume he keeps nattering on about being a gundam, because thats all he has in his life, his guide post, his goal. I suppose its what he aspires to be, a gundam is neutral, despite being a weapon, it doesn't judge, it doesn't pick sides, it just acts.
And yet the Meisters definitely choose sides. Would Allelujah have targeted the facility if not for his connection there? Would Veda have approved it if not for said connection?

If I remember, Graham Aker said this at the beginning of the series "Celestial Being, your very existence is a contradiction." or something like that. =3

Ryu Shoji said:
And yet the Meisters definitely choose sides. Would Allelujah have targeted the facility if not for his connection there? Would Veda have approved it if not for said connection?

If I remember, Graham Aker said this at the beginning of the series "Celestial Being, your very existence is a contradiction." or something like that. =3

Yup. People who are quick to knock OO's characters might want to give consideration to the fact that they're all flawed or damaged in some appreciable way. So it kind of makes it interesting that the decisions they make aren't always necessarily clear cut.

Between Allelujah's psychosis, Setsuna's past as a child soldier, Sumeragi's low self esteem and other quirks enjoyed by the rest of 'em, they feel like a pretty sympathetic bunch of characters.

It gets a double thumbs up from me.

Just Passing Through said:
I enjoyed it, and I won't even mind rewatching it. But it has too many flaws to make me genuinely enthusiastic about it.

Spot on. Like you, I wouldn't mind re-watching Kurau at some distant point in the future, and that's a clear enough indication that it's pretty good. But its flaws are many. I mean, why did Doug even risk his life to such an extent for Kurau and Christmas when it was just a job? Didn't it cross Ayaka's minds that the mutants/Rynax-folk had feelings BEFORE she saw Christmas cooking? Did Saito really need to be evil and have a cliche back-story with Ayaka, just so everything could be tidied up neatly?... etc, etc.

Those Who Hunt Elves: 8/10

Junpei: "Food is better than sex!" - Celcia: "I totally agree. I'm sure the girl you had sex with feels EXACTLY the same way..." | TWHE has the most dirty dub re-writes ever. +1 for lifeless JP scripts getting replaced with witty banter + swearing!

Those Who Hunt Elves II: 6/10

Referring to Britney Spears' virginity as "tightly guarded" must be bad, 'cause the dub of TWHE2 remained faithful to the JP script; meaning no sex jokes or wit. More of the same, just less imaginative, aimless, and duller. Too much mid-series randomness.

AironicallyHuman said:
I mean, why did Doug even risk his life to such an extent for Kurau and Christmas when it was just a job? Didn't it cross Ayaka's minds that the mutants/Rynax-folk had feelings BEFORE she saw Christmas cooking? Did Saito really need to be evil and have a cliche back-story with Ayaka, just so everything could be tidied up neatly?... etc, etc.
Unfortunately I don't remember much about the details of Kurau, having been to sleep since finishing it, so I'm a little hazy on the details. But I'm sure the reason Doug took such a personal interest in Kurau, even risking his life, was because the job came from her father and he himself is a father--although having a child could be an argument for not putting your life in danger for the sake of other people. Ayaka was cold and driven and probably didn't give too much thought to the suffering she caused the Rynax until she actually interacted with them.

I don't know how you can be bothered by any of this when you overlooked Koi Kaze's far more glaring plot contrivance (two siblings kept apart by their parents for close to 15 years for no apparent reason). Compared to something like that, Doug and Ayaka's behaviour is downright logical.

just finished watching Gurren Lagann volume 1 and Bleach Season 5. both are jolly.
Giving Lagann 7 out of 10 and going to give Bleach a 7 out of 10 also. :)

Speed Grapher - 7.5 /10

One of the better Gonzo productions IMO. Didn't quite maintain the initial momentum but it was still pretty interesting to watch and I stuck with it to the end which is more than I can say for Claymore, which I thought was really dissapointing.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episodes 14-17:
Episode 14...how much time off does Celestial Being get? Seriously...

Kinue finally gets a break, and she's told not to do anything reckless or dig too deep, cliché words. Here is when all the different world powers begin to have cake and shake hands (well, get along). Somehow, while making out with a girl, Patrick suddenly knows that he has a job to do - how you ask? Beats me. Well, he then got beat by Kati; somehow getting slapped twice by the woman makes him fall with her...masochist much?

Louise shown her cry-baby attitude this episode...she's so annoying! Saji has no backbone at all. He should have just told her to STFU.

Somehow, Setsuna managed to sneak into the Royal Palace and Princess Marina's bedroom...hmm...I thought there'd be y'know, security.

Sumeragi's ringtone is a sheep baa-ing. Just thought that's worth a mention.

I will admit, this episode bored me. It was one of those full-of-talking episodes.

Episode 15:
First thing first..again, Louise is a brat. Her mum left, she's sad, so she tells Saji to buy her some expensive stuff. Man up, slap that bitch and tell her to get over herself, geez...
This episode really doesn't leave much to say about it. Celestial Being learns what happens when the world unites against them: They get royally owned.

Also, how many times are they going to pull the sudden "OMG Soma is in the battle - Allelujah has such powerful headaches he is able to talk through". So that new character, only introduced last episode was killed already...no biggy, he was just like Patrick - bloody annoying.

Then at the end, just before Setsuna is about to die, a timely intervention saves his life...after Bleach's Deicide arc, I've grown bored of timely interventions.

Episode 16:
Gundam Meisters about to get owned; super-powered unknown allies appear to save them...urgh. And then...we get a recap via analysis (aka a clip show with commentary >>). What. A. Boring. Episode. At least it was shown that Nena has a nice chest...about it xD

My laptop actually crashed just before the last episode...probably because it was trying to kill itself in case the last episode was craptacular as the previous 3.

Episode 17:
Ooo interesting start. Dead scientist and a silent haro floating in a destroyed space-living-place-thingy (What do they call them in this series again? I know they were the PLANTS in SEED).

Upon meeting, Nena kisses Setsuna, only to be pushed away. Whaatever Setsuna (and I thought Tieria was the most likely to be gay xD). Michael Trinity is a lot like Hallelujah, even in looks, and his Haro is a bully to Lockon's too T_T. Why are all the characters in this show at this point that have personalities jerks?

With this episode, the doubts within Celestial Being start. As much as I despise the Throne Meisters (Seriously, they're all obnoxious children) their appearance has mixed things up a bit.

Louise telling Saji not to cheat on her while she's in Spain annoys me as well. Have some faith in the backbone-less wet blanket!

As the message that came across his erm...screen (Does the projection they use even qualify as a screen?), Eifman had learned too much...happens so often in series' like these, and shown that the Thrones are more interested in covering their backs. They definitely have a more crude sense of eradicating war than the Celestial Being we're used to.

Honestly, this set of episodes didn't live up to the last set at all. The last episode of the same quality, but that was only a quarter of the disc's contents. I've noticed that most series' tend to drag around the middle, but wow...a recap episode in a 25-episode series? At least Wolf's Rain had SARS...

6/10 (The last episode brought this up from being a 5).

Gun Frontier - 6/10

Damn. This show is difficult to explain, but I will try.

So basically Gun Frontier is about midget samurai Tochiro and hotshot gunslinger Captain bleedin' Harlock wandering through an Old West filtered through the clearly insane mind of Leiji Matsumoto. Tochiro is searching for a lost clan of samurai, and Harlock is tagging along because Tochiro saved his life. Joining them is wanton hussy Sinonora who, voluntarily or not, ends up naked in just about every episode.

The whole thing has a kind of surreal, Kino's Journey-esque vibe to it. Each town the three visit has some weird rule or custom of which, in one way or another, Tochiro or Harlock are invariably in contravention. This leads to them being captured or beaten or strung up or a combination thereof, which gets tiring after a while. It's a harsh, brutal (though bloodless), and thoroughly MANLY portrayal of life in the Old West, with a high body count and ruthlessly exploited female flesh aplenty--yet the humour and wacky character designs are often at odds with the serious tone. Very odd but strangely compelling in spite (or perhaps because) of that.

Another problem is that identity of the main villain is not revealed until late in the series, and he doesn't actually make an appearance until the last episode. It's a bit rushed and leads to an unsatisfactory conclusion. Also, Darkmeister? LOL.

What's most disappointing are the visuals. I mentioned the striking character designs, but unfortunately the art and animation aren't up to the job. Even the action sequences look cheap, with stiff, limited movement and speedlines in abundance. It's one ugly mofo.

I must confess that I'm unfamiliar with Matsumoto's work (though I do plan on picking up Diskotek's releases of the Galaxy Express movies later this year, just to show that I'm down wit da old skool ting... or something). It's definitely an interesting little curio, right up your obscure street and just begging for a "Your Anime Sucks" going over, I would have thought. Shame the plot's a bit of a mess.

But if you want to watch it you may have to resort to... alternative methods. The DVDs are right sods to get hold of.

Ah, in my somewhat sleep-deprived state, I originally thought you were only likening it to a Leiji Matsumoto series - I didn't realise it actually was one. I'll definitely have to [acquire it in an entirely legal fashion] post haste.

The Sky Crawlers 6.5/10

Nice but a little too dull for me and I hate CGI, they could have least cell shaded the planes, although the plane fights were brill.

The Cockpit 7.5/10

3 Good little stories and I love this sort of animation, they didn't need no CGI for these aeroplanes.

Well, Rebuild isn't really like the main series at all imo. It's basically a completely alternate version in terms of character development and even plot in a lot of cases. Like the manga vs the anime. So the end is not an "alternate end" to the TV series, it will be the "actual end" to the Rebuild version. Very different to this which was presented far more as an alternate take on just the ending.

Back