Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Stuart-says-yes said:
Focus on the AEU, HR ect, portray the side of the human army, and celestial being is used to show the series from the view of the "terrorists", well Saji and Louise are used to show the neutral view point, of a human who is aligned with neither opposing party, and how the actions of the army and the "terrorists" effect there lives.
Yeah, I can see that view. It's just a shame that in Season 1, Saji and Louise don't really do much story-wise. Heck, with this current rewatch, I'm finding the Human Reform League and Advanced European Union far more interesting than Celestial Being xD

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episodes 6-9:
Episode 6 was an improvement on my complaints from earlier episodes; with the Gundam meisters taking a backseat for Marina and the female-half of the Ptolemaios crew. However, the story begins to get good at episode 7; conflict within the Gundam Meisters (Tieria being his usual asshole, and even Lockon losing his temper), and retaliation against Celestial Being (Subway and Bus bombs - something we Brits in particular, are sensitive too).

I have to laugh how in episode 7, Setsuna got in big trouble for going out of his cockpit in battle, yet in episode 8 he goes and tells Marina his codename, and that he's from Celestial Being? xD. Wang Lui Mei was very cute in that episode though =3. Episode 9...proves that Celestial Being isn't as omnipotent as we thought.

In this batch of episodes, were are given insights into the pasts the Gundam Meisters (Excluding Tieria), yet not so much that it bores us.

This batch of episodes is really where the story begins to come together, and we see the weaknesses of Celestial Being. A far more enjoyable watch.

One thing I have to give the writers is, having already seen the series before, it's clearly evident to me now that everything was planned. No Kubo-style trolling here xD

8/10.

AironicallyHuman said:
I don't want to get Roy's pant(ie?)s in a twist once more, but does no-one else see the foolishness in arguing with a guy whose favourite anime is DBZ and favourite manga is DB? Taste and objectivity discussions never end well with such people.
"Objectivity" and "favoritism" are inherently opposed, but I did lol anyway at the attempt.

Look at Ryu and see how intelligent lifeforms should judge 00... wait, nevermind: he'll probably 10/10 it in the end, just to screw me over.

(I'll be interested enough to read your last half reports.)

Do you see me with Naruto: Shippuuden and Naruto as my respective favourites? Just accept I'm the more mature MAN and move on, mate.

I'll be honest: I don't like you because you're like a more creepy version of Fabio. But I want us to be friends because it seems Roy has found him/herself strangely opposed to sending me books from Japan.

If I were nicer to you, would you send me all ten volumes of UxU, whence next you visit Japan?

Btw, my top ten are also my highest rated. What I love and what are near perfect go hand-in-hand. I'm gifted, in that way, y'see.

AironicallyHuman said:
I'll be honest: I don't like you because you're like a more creepy version of Fabio. But I want us to be friends because it seems Roy has found him/herself strangely opposed to sending me books from Japan.

If I were nicer to you, would you send me all ten volumes of UxU, whence next you visit Japan?
I don't like you because I find your online "character" to be incredibly boring, so rather than being nice to me (What are you going to do? Send me some cookies?) it would help more if you just stopped adding in needless bravado to every post. I don't fancy the chances though, so I'd say the odds are I'm more likely to go back to not reading your posts at all pretty soon.

I'll say nice things about you to everyone, and I'll even add '-chan' to the end of your name. You only need to ask Roy: she'll tell you how much nicer I acted after an act of kindness.

It's true that what I love and what I rate highly are one and the same, by the by - that isn't a mere taunt. Simply put, I don't enjoy stupidity anywhere near as much as I enjoy acting stupid.

You've been saying you ignore my posts for ages, yet you read every word and try to make out I don't exist, painfully obviously. Your actions, along with the ease you "rofl", prove beyond any doubt how immature you are, compared to myself. At least I befriend others by insulting them, as opposed to using smiley faces.

ilmaestro said:
AironicallyHuman said:
You've been saying you ignore my posts for ages
Have I?

ilmaestro said:
I'm more likely to go back to not reading your posts at all pretty soon.

As well as lacking common sense, taste and the decency required not to lust after pre-teen girls, do you also suffer from Goldfish Syndrome?

...Just one word and this can all end; painlessly. Tell me that, if I were to give you Fabio's address so as to save myself from you, you'd send all of UxU, later this year. It's THAT easy.

Also:

Kurau: Phantom Memory - 7/10

"It just seems so anticlimactic..." | "Protect Saito? Why am I doing this?" - Agreed, and you tell me, Ayaka. The aimless mini-arcing, plus the vagueness of everything Rynax hurt it. Pairs NEED each other, but can wait 10 years for a deus ex machina?

**** you, Ayase.

AironicallyHuman said:
ilmaestro said:
AironicallyHuman said:
You've been saying you ignore my posts for ages
Have I?

ilmaestro said:
I'm more likely to go back to not reading your posts at all pretty soon.

As well as lacking common sense, taste and the decency required not to lust after pre-teen girls, do you also suffer from Goldfish Syndrome?
Whatever you think I may lack, I'm at least confident in my reading comprehension in this case.

AironicallyHuman said:

I've been having a debate over whether or not to buy this for a while. Whilst most people seem to be reviewing this fairly favourably (anything over a 6/10) I still have my doubts. Sounds like it has some pacing issues but decent characterisation.

Divergence Eve
I've pretty much said everything this merits in the journal thread, except that the CG is pretty badly integrated given when this was made. Even looking past the jarring character designs I have difficulty justifying why I watched this (I think I was hoping for a decent sci-fi story to emerge). I'm going to err on the side of it being actively bad as opposed to so-so and give this a...

4/10 - not really good. Yet it got a sequel.

sic vita est said:
I've been having a debate over whether or not to buy this for a while. Whilst most people seem to be reviewing this fairly favourably (anything over a 6/10) I still have my doubts. Sounds like it has some pacing issues but decent characterisation.
I found the first few minutes of the first episode quite enthralling. This zeal dwindled as the main arc of the story commenced, peaking on several occasions.

Ultimately however, the central characters failed to retain custody of my interests and concerns, and I parted company with them at the series' mid-point.

AironicallyHuman said:
I befriend others by insulting them...
AironicallyHuman said:
**** you, Ayase.
Aw. Thanks Aion. Makes me feel all warm inside.

My love of Kurau is pretty much indefensible, but then it's my subjective opinion so I see no need to defend it. This is why I'm losing the will to argue about things. It's not just you, society (especially consumerism and the internet) has basically made every one of us God in our own eyes now. And as Gods, no-one else's opinion matters to us any more. We're moving back towards the state of bellum omnium contra omnes. The war of all against all. And that's okay with me, just give me my gun and leave me the f*ck alone.

Except... except. Things like Kurau make me wonder if there isn't something to be said for giving a **** about other people. Few things move me like people properly caring about each other in convincing and honest way. Bringing to mind another recent thread of yours, I don't think I've ever really cared much about anybody either. But the fact that seeing other people who do effects me emotionally makes me think it must be possible for me to care about people. The fact that people are capable of writing these characters makes me think they must be capable of caring about people. That makes me feel a little bit of hope and a little less dead inside, and that's enough of a reason for me to 10/10 Kurau. You're not wrong for not liking it; you just aren't me.

sic vita est said:
AironicallyHuman said:

It's character-focused and one for those who care more about characterization than plotting. At first my rating was 8/10, leaning towards 9/10, but the lack of growth in terms of the main relationship, or even the characters individually, as well as the story bouncing from point to point without any real direction made me go with 7/10, in the end.

Y'see, the lead duo are likable, and it was easy for me to feel connected to them, emotionally. But they never advanced beyond the older 'twin' fighting and the younger, more feminine twin worrying/cooking/supporting. I was impressed with the early characterization, and there were some nice touches further down the line, but it seemed to me like the writers were too busy having them move around/run to bother adding onto the early development significantly.

There's also the small matter of Kurau's stupidity irritating me, by the end. She expressed throughout the story how nothing was more important to her than staying with her pair... and yet, she refused to kill psychotic killers/people out to catch them because killing is wrong. She suffered from Vash Stampede syndrome and her childish mentality seriously got on my tits after a certain point.

What's affecting my views is me having recently watched Figure 17. F17 has the same basic premise of an alien element resulting in a human finding herself with a twin. The key difference is that, unlike in Kurau, the twin had a positive impact on the heroine: ultimately changing her from timid and shy into a stronger, more independent girl. That sort of advancement was missing from Kurau.

The two shows are very similar. F17 wins on the characterization front. However, it has even slower pacing and a worse, duller sci-fi side.

Here's my recent MAL rec:

MAL Recommendation said:
Figure 17 and Kurau are remarkably similar. As well as having a blend of slice-of-life and sci-fi, the two share one other fairly unique element: the development of a relationship between two girls; one of which being an 'alien' twin, in both shows.

In terms of characterization, Figure 17 is the better the two--the introduction of Hikaru into Tsubasa's once timid life changing her for the better. In the case of Kurau and her relationship with Christmas, neither of the two had a huge impact on the growth of the other, and the focus was always on remaining together as opposed to growing together.

What lets Figure 17 down is its repetitive, undeveloped sci-fi side and a number of its 40 minute episodes suffering from bothersome pacing issues. Kurau has issues on the sci-fi and pacing fronts also, but not to the same extent.

Be sure to watch the two of them if heartfelt family drama and character-focused stories are your cup of tea.

Ayase: I DO like Kurau. I've seen a lot of anime, and that means - according to my grading system - 7/10 is very much a 'worth owning' score. I'm glad I picked it up. Ignore my teasing.

I fully understand where you're coming from: it was the theme of pure love that drew me in. It's hard to separate love and lust in relationships with a physical edge, and the idea of two 'siblings' wanting nothing more than to remain together throughout their lives and not going their separate ways as real families are forced to, with age, moved me.

I suggest you watch Figure 17 and Witchblade. They, along with Kurau, are all about family bonds. You'd probably like all three.

City Hunter: 9/10

CH is the most watchable & fun episodic anime out there. The series' structure wasn't an issue because of the variation; Ryo saving ladies from killers, helping a nun in need--anything beauties wanted. Only Kaori's repetitive anti-sex hammer let it down.

My only disappointment at this point is not owning all of CH. Towards the end I did start to get tired of Kaori's only reason for existence being to hit Ryo with a hammer whenever he got near a member of the opposite sex, but I'm still pretty much good to go--ready to go through another 60+ episodes. But I'll have a lil' break before moving on, if only to extend the lovefest. After all, remembering the specifics of a series where around 42 episodes were standalone ones and the rest two-parts isn't difficult!

My CH/GTO rec from MAL:

MAL Recommendation said:
So similar are Onizuka (GTO) and Ryo (City Hunter) that I have to assume Fujisawa was inspired by City Hunter when he created GTO.

The way the two alternate between perverted idiot mode - always making women fall for them but, for one reason or another, never getting laid - and superhero mode makes it impossible for me to think of one without thinking of the other. Nothing is impossible for them, no matter the circumstances. Boys are inspired to become men after watching their actions, and no woman can resist the duo's manliness for too long--even if they do get slapped a lot, to begin with.

...oh, and it goes without saying that banging school girls is viewed as morally wrong by them, no matter how... hard they find... it. Taking advantage is also a no-no, comedy scenes aside. Real men aim for fully-developed ladies and don't need to get the object of their affections drunk to do the deed.

It's impossible to like one without liking the other. City Hunter is entirely episodic and lacks the drama of GTO, but the feel of both series is very, very, VERY similar.

AironicallyHuman said:
City Hunter: 9/10

I don't think I would necessarily have made the connection with GTO otherwise, but I can certainly see what you're getting at. It's quite heartening to see that the series still has appeal outside of the die-hard old-school crowd as well. I'll probably try and do a video on City Hunter at some stage, see if I can't pitch it to the youtube audience.

It's just unfortunate how cripplingly expensive the dvd sets are after the first season. While it's to ADV's credit that they actually released very nearly all the anime that was produced, it didn't make much impact in the States and (with the curious exception of series 2 part 2) the TV boxes after S1 are changing hands for silly money now.

They understand it on the continent though. They have nice things like this.

Don't get me started. I've seen the French anime tv channel - the stuff they have airing on a regular basis would reduce any classic anime fan to tears.

VVV Edit: I promise you, Detective Conan is merely the tip of the iceberg.

Ghost Hunt: 7/10

Not sure what to expect from this one when I began, but was pleasantly surprised in general. Definately not something I had expected to see played so straight in an anime (usually subjects like this either go into farce, or gore explosions)

The multi episode plots were a big bonus, really allowing the stories to flesh out. Some of the characters were however annoying (one intentionally so, but they still did my head in) but the lead was likable and you definately see character growth through the story which is nice.

Occasionally formulac beginings to the stories were probably the biggest drag in all (supposedly, checking wikipedia, some critics picked that one up too) but after each story got started, it was mostly good stuff.

Quite impressed in all.

Zin5ki, ayase, Aion: Thanks for the input on Kurau, will put the first volume on my Lovefilm list so it can surprise me when it turns up and see where it goes from there. Shame ADV never finished releasing it in the UK.

Back