Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

The Cat Returns - 8/10

Another Ghlibli that surprised me. I seem to like Ghlibli better when the kids aren't little brats like the girl in Only Yesterday. I think Totoro is my favourite that I've seen thus far, but Cat Returns was a lot of fun too.

I've also got Eathsea and Porco Rosso on my HDD that I recorded back when they were on tv so I'll get round to them sound enough.

Red Hawk weapon of death
7/10
Wasnt perfect, but its alot better than most of the Manga collection DVDs.

The good things:
Some great fight scenes, animation was pretty good especially for the fight scenes, good revenge story.

The bad things:
There was a fight scene ripped completely off from the Street Fighter 2 movie only the characters were different, animation was quite bad in some parts.

Started watching Tales of Earthsea and the long drawn out song in the middle irritates me, as does Ghlibli's continued obsession with showing people doing chores.

Why is that? Is that an intrinsically Japanese thing, like how they often show people enjoying food?

I always seem to come out of a Ghlibli film with the reverse impression that I went in with. If I think I'll like a film (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Only Yesterday) I come away feeling disappointed and if I don't expect to like it at all (Totoro, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle) I end up enjoying it. It's perverse. Though you all probably think that of me already for not being all that keen on Mononoke and Spirited Away :p

Thus far I rate TOE 6/10 I don't expect it to improve anytime soon either. THe opening mislead me to believe it would be hella awesome.

Naruto Shippuden 201.

8/10

Things are really heating up now, and it's great to see what I read in the manga only a 2 months ago come animated, really looking forward to the future episodes now.

FMA:B Part 3

Can't say the score yet as I have only watched Disc 1 and need to finish off Disc 2. But what I have watched it's amazing and can't wait to finish it off.

At last, a new video!

California Crisis: Gun Salvo

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfHJGGsdR_Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfHJGGsdR_Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

If you've ever had the feeling that you were being chased by ridiculously well-armed government agents while in possesion of a bizarre orb that was stolen by a random hitch-hiker, then California Crisis is definitely the anime for you. Also: seek help

Code Geass R2 volume 2
8/10
Very good. Although i didnt like the ending much.

Overall, Code Geass was a fantastic show. It had fantastic mecha action, great twists and characters i really liked. The only bad thing is the ending. I was a little bit dissapointed.

The series overall gets a 10/10. Highly recommended!

X TV series
7/10
It was good, but BY GOD some people have hyped up this series so much!!!

The good things:
Had a creative dream like atmosphere to it
Some of the fights were good.
Some of the characters were interesting

The bad things:
Most of the time it was boring
the characters were your basic Shonen type characters
Animation was good but not great
Kept going on about "dreams" and "destiny"
Some things werent explained

sanji no 1 said:
X TV series
The bad things:
It's shoujo...
Unless it's vastly different from the other two versions nothing shounenish about them.
They look and act like normal shoujo characters. Just a realy odd plot for shoujo series.

Reaper gI said:
sanji no 1 said:
X TV series
The bad things:
It's shoujo...
Unless it's vastly different from the other two versions nothing shounenish about them.
They look and act like normal shoujo characters. Just a realy odd plot for shoujo series.

Seriously? If it's anything like X movie(I hated it by the way!), apart from the character designs can it seriously be considered shoujo? I mean how many teenage girls is that load of freaky, depressing garbage going to appeal to (am I making my dislike for the film clear enough?).

That is defo one film where afterwards I thought "wish I had that hour and a half of my life back, and all memories of that film removed from my head". I was only about 13 at the time I saw it, and it kind of disturbed me, as I hadn't really seen an anime like that before. In fact the only anime movie that I have seen in my life that I possibly dislike more than X, and that probably disturbed me more too... no in fact I think I would say scarred me more is of course: Golgo 13 :evil: . But thats another story. These two loads of crap where major factors in why a young me decided to give up on watching anime for a couple of years.

Phew.. rant over.

Shoujo traits:
the artstyle,
characters can be romanticaly involved,
characters can be bisexual or homosexual,
focus on relationships between characters.

Shounen traits:
focus on events
relationships never resolved (unless to end the series),
sexuality never adressed or questioned, except as pure fanservice
No fixed artstyle.

Every character in X is in a relationship with another. Heavy focus on these and how they are formed and broken by events.

Hmm still don't think they were aiming for the right target audience with that one. Really I don't think it's very shoujo or Shounen, I mean how many teenage girls want to watch a film where a sword is ripped out of a womens abdomen in a gory scene

Last edited by a moderator:
vashdaman said:
Hmm still don't think they were aiming for the right target audience with that one. Really I don't think it's very shoujo or Shounen, I mean how many teenage girls want to watch a film where a sword is ripped out of a womens abdomen in a gory scene
Ones that are there too swoon over the seiyuu for their favourite bishounen ... a hardened fangirl can block out stuff like that.*
Also the shoujo demographic will go upto early 20's, like shounen does (Shounen Ace, Dragon Age etc.). Not all shoujo is aimed at early teens and preteens.
Girls don't just like romance; sci-fi, fantasy, and horror without the male oriented fanservice and with some female oriented will have an audience.

Remebering how popular slasher movies were at secondary school female objection to gore is minimal.

*like how I can ignore the (male) panty shots in Korezomb

Last edited by a moderator:
vashdaman said:
Fair enough, still a terrible movie though! Infact maybe this helps explain part of my deep seated dislike for the movie??
looks beautiful.
It is a total trainwreck as regards to pacing or plot though.
Trying to cover more than than 18 volumes (it's 18.5 long and unfinished, suspension due to the last major earthquake, and some high profile violent crime) of manga in one movie was total madness.

Summer Wars
9/10
Amazing! One of the best anime films ive ever seen. A good mix of family drama and Sci-fi.

I cant believe the review on here gives it a 7. Oh well. everyone has their opinion i guess.

If someone had told me about the first episode of Cross Game before I saw it, I would have said something along the lines of "cynical and rushed", but after you actually watch it, it just works!

Series only gets better, too. :)

Back