Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Aquarion is so crazy I can't possibly call it average, but I understand that that is somewhat beside the point. I also don't really approve of the "fanboyish" sort of reasoning... but that doesn't mean I'm immune to it. ^^;

Ah, now THAT I can understand. ;) We've all bought or watched something 'because it's Writer X / Director Y / Studio Z' and been disappointed at one time or another.

As for Aquarion - I secretly hope it'll get resurrected in a few years and spun into a satisfying story. There's still potential there to be tapped.

You're Under Arrest OVA - 7/10

Kosuke Fujishima evidently likes girls and motor vehicles. You're Under Arrest features both and little else.

Loud, energetic rookie cop Natsumi is partnered up with reserved ace mechanic Miyuki, and together they chase down reckless drivers, assist cats in distress, and deal with love troubles and career changes. While initially it seems as though Natsumi and Miyuki ain't gonna get along, they soon discover a shared passion and tenacity for pursuing bad guys at very high and dangerous speeds. The interplay between them and the rest of the cast is great to watch. It's all incredibly lightweight and lighthearted, like a helium balloon of a smiley face, but the lack of anything too serious actually works in the show's favour. The fun factor is high throughout.

And for a show about attractive women in police uniforms, fanservice is surprisingly absent, although I guess attractive women in police uniforms is itself a kind of fanservice... if you're into that kind of thing.

No doubt I wouldn't be so impressed if not for the quality of the art and animation. This is an impressive production, not just in terms of the money that was obviously spent but the quality of the direction. You're Under Arrest has some of the best, most creatively filmed car chases since Gunsmith Cats (which was animated after YUA, yes, but seen by yours truly about 14 years earlier) and at times they approach theatrical quality.

This OVA was the first of the franchise to be animated. I'm half-tempted to follow it up with the first TV series, but I know that the drop in animation quality would pain me greatly. For now I'm going to track down a copy of the mini-specials and see where I am after that.

Spookily enough, I distinctly remember both the OP and ED songs despite not ever having seen this show before. I doubt I watched them on Youtube either. That's just odd.

The OPs and EDs and insert songs and the rest of the soundtrack for the entire franchise is absolutely top drawer imo, so no surprise that you'd heard them before somewhere along the line. Possibly an AMV?

The animation is definitely the most obvious appeal point of the OVAs, rare these days that you see that level of "full frame" animation even in OVAs, but imo the TV series retains the sense of simple fun and camaraderie that makes it an easy watch. If you're not totally in love with the characters though you won't like it as much as some people would suggest. I'm just not sure how easy it is to buy these days.

fabricatedlunatic said:
You're Under Arrest has some of the best, most creatively filmed car chases since Gunsmith Cats (which was animated after YUA, yes, but seen by yours truly about 14 years earlier) and at times they approach theatrical quality.
Where else can one find a race-tuned mini, complete with a secret fifth wheel, being driven at reckless speed by a monk in order to extend his good wishes to his pursuers?

For now I'm going to track down a copy of the mini-specials and see where I am after that.
I obtained the DVD thereof for the best part of £2. Whilst unfunny, it is still a passable means to prolong one's enjoyment of the cast. Like you, I did not sample the remainder of the series, though I did make sure to obtain the motion picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
maestro: Right Stuf offer a bundle of all 13 TV volumes (the first of which is actually the OVA) for a reasonable $130 + $10 shipping. Slap customs on top of that, though, and it starts to look a little bit less enticing.

In response to your rhetorical question, zin, I don't think there's anything else quite like that. But for more implausible car craziness with the animation frames to back it up, have a look at Riding Bean.

Maria†Holic: 7/10

When transferring to an all-girl school, in search of lesbian love, you wouldn't want to live with a sadistic boy who dresses as a girl. Kanako nosebleeds over girls; Mariya bullies her... repeat. Has SHAFT's wordiness and is fun, but it gets old FAST.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: 8/10

Kyon's cynical commentary made Haruhi tick. It's like other school comedies, but with the heroine being God... as well as THE most selfish bitch EVER. As Haruhi abused Mikuru, I found her cries to be erotic. EP14's time-wasting / worthlessness = painful.

Professor Irony said:
I could not get past the way she reloads that revolver.

Actually wait, it's not trying to be some sort of savage parody, is it? If they were spoofing the likes of Trigun and Gunsmith Cats, that might be sort of clever.

It was merely a copy of Trigun, and other stories involving 'Thou Shalt Not Kill!' leads waltzing around, episodic style, with plot shields protecting them from harm, against all known logic.

Trigun tried to go deeper than Grenadier ever did when dealing with the rights and wrongs of killing. However, Trigun's story also 180'd at the last second, 'cause good guys NEVER kill in cold blood, and that pained me much more than ammo jumping out of the heroine of Grenadier's ample bosom and perfectly fitting into her revolver as she swung it around.

Instead of getting angry over the stupidity of it all, I went along with the ride and enjoyed it. It's a 'low seven' and could later be dropped down to 6/10, but I like keeping it only a point lower than Trigun--Trigun lasting twice as long and frustrating me far more.

fabricatedlunatic said:
maestro: Right Stuf offer a bundle of all 13 TV volumes (the first of which is actually the OVA) for a reasonable $130 + $10 shipping. Slap customs on top of that, though, and it starts to look a little bit less enticing.
Oh, cool, I'll admit I'd never looked at how available the singles were, must be just the box-set releases (which are just the singles inside four chipboard boxes with a bonus disc in each set) that are harder to find cheap.

Pretty good value still, imo, but I'm sure by this point there are few people who "know" me who would listen to my opinion on value-for-money anime. :p

The second and third seasons must be pretty cheap though now that they've had releases Stateside, too. After that all you really need to get started on is buying the soundtracks... ^_^

/likes YUA

Chance Pop Session: 7/10

If lost sisters JUST HAPPENING to reunite with their mother wasn't so contrived, CPS would've been superb. The journey of three from differing backgrounds towards stardom lacked twists/subtlety and, Kisaragi aside, 'greyness', but it was satisfying.

Hand Maid May: 5/10

Another one of THOSE anime where a one-dimensional, four-eyed geekoid inexplicably gains a harem full of boobs without brains. Why does he find himself living with a harem consisting of 'robots' with USB ports for vaginas, from the future? No clue.

Hand Maid May Special: 5/10

The point of this final episode was lost on me when no attempt was made at explaining the incomprehensible dumbness of the story, or pairing up the leads. But x5 mini-May's hanging from their vagina-ports did amuse me, somewhat. A fittingly daft finale.

.hack//Legend of the Twilight - 4/10

Not only was the comical manga plot discarded for nonsensical, sleep-inducing chattering, it even went against the .hack basics. Tween hackers being able to put players into comas (to learn about death)? Data Drain NOT putting players into comas? - WTF!?

^ This C&Ping business is far more satisfying than typing paragraphs no-one reads. Shame about the anime, mind...

Darker Than Black - 5/10

This series is terrible.

Good:
Animation
Mao, Huang, Gai Kurosawa and his assistant.
The episodes related to the above characters.
Some of the contractors powers.

Neutral:
The music (Yoko Kanno's best is still Wolf's Rain and GitS: SAC)

Bad:
The majority of concepts, ideas and general storyline this show moves toward.
All of the characters not mentioned above.
The majority of payments the contractors have to make.
Unnecessary deaths added at the very end of the series to add suspense.
Hei is cliché 101, he's on par with Hitsugaya from Bleach.

Fate stay night
8.5/10
A Pretty good anime!.

Good things:
The character development between Saber and Shiro was nice
Good animation
Some of the fight scenes were good.

Bad things
Too slow
not enough fight scenes
wasnt original

Karas - 9/10

Until yesterday the second Karas DVD, containing the final three episodes of this six-episode OVA, was my longest-owned unwatched DVD. I bought the double pack when it was released in the US (2 or 3 years ago) and only made it through the first disc. It was pretty but the writers were reluctant to explain anything that was happening and I lost interest.

I should have stuck with it because everything becomes clear not long into the second disc. It's all a bit bonkers--in Karas, cities apparently have wills of their own--but if you can accept the rules the show establishes for its world, it's not hard to understand at all, and you can freely enjoy what is a dark, violent, and thrilling superhero story.

And it's still pretty. Prettier than ever, in fact. I don't remember being so taken aback by the quality of the art and animation, both 2D and 3D, first time around. Even though I'm not a huge fan of CG, in Karas it's integrated exceptionally well. It really is an incredible spectacle from start to finish, and the bombastic score (again not usually to my tastes) is just an epic cherry upon an epic cake.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Karas - 9/10

And it's still pretty. Prettier than ever, in fact.

I shortened your mini-review for you.

This is usually where I'd insult you for going all 'BESTEST ANIME EVA!', purely because the anime in question looks good AND starts making some ******* sense, after it made no sense whatsoever for the duration of the first disc. But I had a similar experience where I came close to dropping it... only for explanations to start making me care about the sexy action sequences. All I remember now is some sort of gangster back-story involving the lead, but hey - it was a lot of fun, once it stopped sending me to sleep.

By the way, you might be happy to know that - probably because it's Christmas - we rated the two El Hazard titles the same.

Merry Christmas, also. I'll send over my sealed .hack//SIGN collections, once the snow melts, in order to make you feel like the **** you are for rating my 7-8's lowly.

-----

Figure 17: 7/10

F17's premise of an alien 'twin' making her sis into a stronger person through love, alongside eyeball hunting, IS good. And the characterization IS great... but 40 mins of farm life and repetitive, underdeveloped sci-fi won't satisfy everyone...

Angel: 6/10

Old school perverted comedy goodness. A girl dreams of a hunky, heroic guy saving her, and holds affection for the guy she facesat as a tween. But, sadly for her, the guy from her memories is a sex-crazed freak. Lots of fun... but incomplete. MANGA!

El Hazard: The Magnificent World - 8/10

For those with dreams of adventure set in fantastical worlds, a must-see. As basic as the characters/plot are, the raunchy harem, cross-dressing lead, army of bugs commanded by a cackling prat, and teacher with alcohol woes make it inconsequential.

El Hazard 2: The Magnificent World 2 - 5/10

Looks and plays out as if AIC hired a new team to create it on the cheap. The recurring marriage joke becomes a vital plot point, and the 'demon/weapon of mass destruction' stuff from the prequel gets repeated, poorly. Adds nothing and reeks of cash-in.

Next up is New Angel. Angel sold me on it; five episode hentai or not. There's too much surprisingly good pervy laughs to be had for me to ignore it.

It's mighty charitable of you not to insult me, not to mention uncharacteristic. Feeling the spirit of Christmas?

Like you say, the explanations on the second disc of Karas not only made the story comprehensible, but make it possible to care more about the action and characters (who were just about well developed enough in the end).

As for El Hazard, it's an enduring classic. I watched it not long ago and it still holds up remarkably well. Thanks to the strong design and music it nails that sense of epic fantasy adventure, and (mainly) thanks to Mr Fujisawa and Jinnai it's also highly amusing. Great fun. Sequel is **** though.

Did you watch El Hazard in English? It was one of the first dubs I truly loved, and it's still a riot.

Waitaminute... didn't you start watching El Hazard some time ago and not like it very much? I vaguely recall you having a moan on Eurogamer. While I'm pleased that your taste is improving with age, as tends to happen (see myself as a perfect example), it'd be nice if you could get it right the first time from now on. Merii Kurisumasu!

No.

Have you thought about giving .hack//Trilogy a whirl, since it has a R2 release? It makes no sense whatsoever, and Ovan repeats "100 million" a few times for no good reason, but it looks quite sexy, and Haseo's psychotic expressions make it highly enjoyable. You're never going to play the games, and you care not for insignificant things like writing - as shown previously by your 10ing - so why not? You could even watch it in the hood, online, if SD prettiness isn't enough. (I did, back in the day, FYI.)

If you need some basis for comparison, think Advent Children. Looks pretty, sound wonderful, has some niiice action... and that's your lot.

I did watch it in English, ja, and the only issue I had was Makoto's voice, which became bothersome as his dull voice spoke ****** lines, in the sequel. Part of my reasoning for like it as much as I did was probably listening to it in English and enjoying the view, as opposed to reading 24/7, this time around.

I didn't dislike it or anything, back in the bad old days... it's just, I had yet to understand how cheaply made and unoriginal the majority of anime is. Now, with my brain fully aware that a considerable amount sucks major ****, I'm far more appreciative of classic hand-drawn works that are funny and exciting, at the same time. Plus, I'm a lover of AIC's art style.

Like with some other older work I've encountered, it's hand-drawn backgrounds and distinctive characters add a sort of magic that's missing from the CG festivals of today.

PS: You should watch Angel; it very nice.

Old school art, FTW!

PS2: Should you unseal and drop .hack//SIGN, knowing full well I could've kept/sold the sets, I'll delete you from MAL and never type to your again. It'll be as valid of an excuse as any to get rid of you.

I'll be honest with you: since playing the first .hack game back in 2005 or whatever, I've had no inclination to give anything .hack related a whirl. This is one of the reasons why I would strongly advise that you sell your sealed sets rather than send them to someone who may be reluctant to ever watch them (thereby hammering the final nail into the coffin of our tumultuous relationship).

I knew Angel sounded familiar. I'm pretty sure I owned New Angel on DVD (or maybe VHS) at some point. As you may have inferred from my talking in the past tense, it's no longer part of my collection and I don't remember what happened to it. Given my love for raunchy sex comedy, though, I might check out the manga.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

Your Anime Sucks - Lupin III: Series One

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-xzE43Vr-M8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-xzE43Vr-M8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Youtube actually blocked this the moment it went up. That's how much they like me.

Professor Irony said:
Your Anime Sucks - Lupin III: Series One

Youtube actually blocked this the moment it went up. That's how much they like me.

Its because you put "Sucks" in the title! :p
I liked the review :)

Oh and I love'd the reconstructed sacking, especially the "Oh wank" :D

Back