Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Well, firstly, I'd like to set the record straight. Married, not quite but getting there. My partner and I live in sin everyday by having a child and not being married. I only hope that God will not look down on me too harshly when, someday, I meet my maker. Secondly, I would never do such a thing as insult another person's post. It's just not in my nature. Thirdly, Shhh, please keep it down. If my girl was to find out I was having a lustful affair with The Bount Arc, she might actually leave my ass.

You may have a field day with Gasaraki if you decide to watch and review it. In some ways, I was being kind to it. Gasaraki would have been nice as a 13 episode series, in my opinion.

I've been meaning to go on MAL for a while now. I just keep getting diverted.

Update: I have now opened my MAL account.

Yuvie said:
I, Yuvie, would like to make a wholehearted apology to anyone who was offended by my double post which I replaced with the term 'bla'. I'm deeply sorry if there's anyone else out there who is having a hard time 'understanding' why I didn't just delete my second post. I will thrive to make sure something like this doesn't happen again.
Unfortunately, I can not forgive you. I spent ages looking around the internets for this anime "bla" and was deeply concerned when I couldn't find it.

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen 9/10
You don't often find many good and serious samurai anime but this manages to be both and has been a pleasure to watch, even though it's a fairly short series. What it has done is ignite an interest in the Rurouni Kenshin brand as I'm fairly new to it. The story itself, I thought was excellent and it sucked me in from the beginning. It became a story of an assasin's contentment and the tragic & ironic loss of it. Although short, the series goes at a fairly slow pace which works well. The artwork is among the better half of most anime and the actions scenes are quite impressive. I only hope that the other parts of the story, including the tv series, can live up to how good this version of Rurouni Kenshin was.

Is this a review I see before me?

Otaku no Video

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LPJ2FnDKpg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LPJ2FnDKpg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

You could argue this isn't the right thread as I don't really like grading things out of 10, but I didn't think it really fitted into the 'viewing journal' thread either.

Also, apologies for the slightly jerky image quality during the panning shots, I had a hard time with the deinterlacing.

Silent Mobius: The Motion Picture - 4/10

I get the impression that this film was made for those already familiar with the story through the manga. To everyone else it's not going to make a whole lot of sense.

It starts with a fight scene between a woman named Katsumi and a huge, monsterous creature. The film then shifts into a flashback which shows Katsumi's first encounters with the monsters, known as Lucifer Hawks, and how she came to join the AMP, an elite police unit comprising individuals with extraordinary powers. Unfortunately it does so without explaining much, nor giving any real screentime to the other cast members, and with far too much screaming and wailing as the reluctant Katsumi struggles to come to terms with what's happening. I know the feeling, love. It's back to the present for the last five minutes and the conclusion of Katsumi's fight with the Lucifer Hawk. Yawn.

On the plus side, this 50-minute film boasts some impressively animated fight scenes. The gruesome Lucifer Hawks are brilliantly designed and always seem on the verge of tentacle raping various female AMP members. Indeed, at one point poor Katsumi gets a face full of... something. And there's a gratuitous shower scene in the middle of the film, to which I probably paid more attention than anything else.

I'm looking foward to watching the TV series. I think.

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun: 10/10.

Personally, a new reference level show of the last ten years, that I enjoyed as much as Stand Alone Complex, Gankutsuou, Haruhi, and Mouryou no Hako.

More people should do videos. We could compare notes on editing software and whatnot.

Scramble Wars

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zp8wBHft66A&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zp8wBHft66A&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

The next one will be less obscure (maybe).

Professor Irony said:
More people should do videos. We could compare notes on editing software and whatnot.

Nice video.

Seems you're interested in discussing video editting, just thought I'd mention you should try and get the background noise out of your audio recordings, you can tell when you're playing your voice by the faint (but still noticable) 'hsssssssss' in the background whilst you speak. Just trying to help =).

Might check Scramble Wars out now though :).

Unfortunately I don't have such a silky, smooth voice, and thus video reviewing is out of the question for me. I recall reading about Scramble Wars in the mid-1990s (it was released here by Anime Projects) but never got around to watching it. Looks great =D

Junkers Come Here - 9/10

I love this film, a thoroughly charming Ghibli-esque tale of a young girl and her talking dog. On paper it doesn't sound very interesting but the girl, Hiromi, is not only troubled by the impending divorce of her parents, whom she rarely sees because they're so busy with work, but has a crush on her engaged-to-be-married tutor. Despite this, she's doesn't let how she feels on the inside show on the outside. Her dog, Junkers, is the only one she can talk to about her problems, and as she struggles to cope, he tells her that he has the power to grant three wishes.

The film has beautiful background art and animation, with one scene in particular standing out as particularly impressive. Despite the subject matter, the film never gets too heavy, mainly due to Hiromi being such a likeable, believeable character and the moments of subtle comedy throughout. It's very sweet but, like Ghibli's work, never schmaltzy--something I can't tolerate. Highly recommended.

Thanks guys :) The VHS release of Scramble Wars (part of the Super Deformed Double Feature) is actually really nice. Aside from Ten Little Gall Force and Scramble Wars, there's a few neat extras on the tape as well, such as a look inside Kenichi Sonoda's domain at Artmic and some concert footage. It also comes with some excellent liner notes on the more obscure jokes (should anyone have these, could they possibly hook a man up with a scan? Mine went missing many moons ago...).

cardybean said:
the background noise

Yeah, I do take your point. I've not really been doing anything to the videos to try and cut down hiss as it isn't noticeable on my speakers, but I do hear it when I'm using headphones. I'll need to try running the sound through the noise reduction filter in Reaper, see if that helps any.

So.Ra.No.Wo.To - 9/10

This was a pretty amazing series, overall, although it did wuss out a bit in terms of the ending they gave us. Absolutely gorgeous to look at, can't wait to get it on BD and see the original episodes they're including with two of the discs.

The characters were immensely likable, and the emotions and motivations in the show helped it hold itself up as a far more unique work than people are want to give it credit for.

The "Anime no Chikara" slot is off to a great start, and I can't wait to see the next show (Senkou no Nightraid) that will be airing in it.

Darker than Black season 1; nothing like procrastination form coursework deadlines to make me watch DVDs fast.
9/10
Well surpassed my expectations, oh it's a pretentios looking action show, and managed to develop characters well and have an intersting plot. Also it apears to be more moe than k-on! was, which is massively ironic bearing in mind the director hates moe.

Kobato. - 8/10

Some weak individual episodes peppered throughout the series, but I loved the main story. Kobato x Fujimoto is easily one of my most shippable pairings in some time.

edit:

Ookamikakushi - 7/10

One too many slooooooow episodes in the first half of the show let it down slightly, would have been a much better three hour-long-episodes OVA or something.

Really good setting and atmosphere behind it though, and the last episode was pure jokes. Peach Pit designs are always win, too.

Blue Seed 6/10
This series had potential. It had that old school feel about it and the story seemed half decent. Pretty much every episode in the first half of the series follows the same concept, the first half of the episode contains your general character interaction then the second half moves onto a monster turning up and the fight the follows on from that. This gets pretty repetitive in the end and I'd almost lost interest by then. The main story kicks in in the second half of the series which is good but for me, the series never really takes off. You have a good episode here and there followed by a couple of boring episodes. The series feels a bit too long for what it is and I have to say, instead of getting that old school feel, it was replaced with a 'slightly dated' feel.

SHE, the ultimate weapon 5/10
Visually, this series was pretty good. I did quite enjoy the first half of the series. The love story was done well. Where did it all go wrong? Well, most anime are 'over-the-top' but that's not usually a problem. In this series though, to me at least, it really did feel a bit over-the-top. I found it hard to believe this little girl could be the ultimate weapon. Then in the second half of the series, things just got a little too melodramatic for me. I found the main characters to be a little sad and pathetic. By the final episode, I had nodded off.

Admittedly I haven't seen very much of it, but I always felt quite forgiving towards Blue Seed - purely because the opening contains the amazing Engrish lyric, "pick me up foxy night game".

Eat man 98 - 7/10
I'm a sucker for the 'lone traveller' genre of anime (See Mushi-shi, Kino's Journey, etc). This was along those lines. Granted, this series was not on par with those just mentioned but it was still a fairly enjoyable series to watch. The general concept of Eat man is quite unusual. He eats pretty much anything, though most of the time it seems to be metal objects and can then re-produce them from his hand at any given time. It's a strange power but kinda fun at times. The stories follow Eat man as a mercenary and most of them are 2 parters. It's generally quite a slow paced series and very short, in at 13 episodes. With most of the stories being 2 parters, it's over in a shot. The slow pace will put some people off and if you don't like the older looking anime then you should probably go elsewhere. The lead character, Bolt Crank (what a name!), is likeable but not the most charismatic either, he barely talks. This series is worth a quick watch if you're into that style of anime.

Cobra The Animation (2010) - 7/10

Absolutely no complaints, does what it says on the tin entertainment. Not exactly high-brow, but that's not important.

Omamori Himari - 5/10

Geh. Could have been pretty good. Ended up being a bit predictable and feeling a little empyt. Some stand out characters and one or two really good episodes, combined with some decent fan service, but very, very lightweight over the last few episodes imo.

Hanamaru Youchien - 8/10

Absolutely one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, nearly spoiled by half of most episodes focusing badly on Anzu and Tsuchi. Not bad in a skeezy way, but bad in a way that most of the segments (although not all) were pretty annoying, and took time away from much more interesting characters like Hiiragi, and Hinagiku and her yakuza family. Definitely want to read the manga though, because it was utterly hilarious the rest of the time. Hii-chan is far too cute. Panda Neko far too awesome.

Back