Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Heh, I would actually like to hear you review something that really does suck (but in that good way), if you have anything appropriate available.

Yeah, I'll probably do a video on something I genuinely don't like in the near future. Slight problem being that if I hit on something I don't like, generally I just stop watching it. That said, if you know of anything that sucks so much it becomes good again, I'd be happy to look into it.

And of course, there is always Musashi Gundou...

Just finished Paranoia Agent. 8.5-9/10 I think the character study style episodes were my favourite and the ending was surreal, but I dug it. Still not entirely sure why Lil Slugger/Shonen Bat attacked people since he was the delusion of Tsukiko. I get that he fed of the paranoia of the stories surrounding him but I don't get why. I guess it was a reaction by Tsukiko to make sure he lived up to them so he wouldn't be seen as a hoax etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobile Suit Gundam: 7/10

I loved the strong character development and bonding of the crew on the White Base. I even got two new favourites in Char Aznable and Amuro Ray.

The plot is intensely linear and straightforward, but the themes and fuzzy morality keep things interesting.

The plot is indeed a hangover from Super Robot shows, on an episode-by-episode basis, but it's awesome to see people still watching classic shows these days and appreciating what they did. Too often they get lost amongst the flashy new cool thing.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Heh I finished it recently too. I agree 7/10 It impressed me, much better than expected. Abuse of children and women by heroes seems plentiful though XP

Mate, wait until you get to Zeta. People are using corporal punishment left, right, and centre. I just recently watched an episode (39 or 40?) where a female officer gets punched in the face by her superior, who happens to be male and big. But yeah, the kids get it too. Kamille gets beaten to within an inch of his life by a pratt called Mr Wong, which he likes to call his way of 'correcting' the boy.

I do love 70s-90s anime but I'm glad certain cultural traits have left us. Haha.

Also, last night I watched Char's Counterattack: 8.5/10

Bloody brilliant.

VivisQueen said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Heh I finished it recently too. I agree 7/10 It impressed me, much better than expected. Abuse of children and women by heroes seems plentiful though XP

Mate, wait until you get to Zeta. People are using corporal punishment left, right, and centre. I just recently watched an episode (39 or 40?) where a female officer gets punched in the face by her superior, who happens to be male and big. But yeah, the kids get it too. Kamille gets beaten to within an inch of his life by a pratt called Mr Wong, which he likes to call his way of 'correcting' the boy.

I do love 70s-90s anime but I'm glad certain cultural traits have left us. Haha.

Also, last night I watched Char's Counterattack: 8.5/10

Bloody brilliant.

haha yeah, me too. Oh and with Zeta do the three kids (If they're in it) look any less weird? I mean that has ot be some of the worst art I've seen >.< the girl was permanently cross-eyed from one thing.

In Zeta, there are two new kids (the old set of three have now become teenagers and one of them, Katz, has a supporting role). The new kids are just as badly drawn and just as annoying and just as redundant. I don't know, maybe the Japanese think kids are comedy gold or something.

VivisQueen said:
In Zeta, there are two new kids (the old set of three have now become teenagers and one of them, Katz, has a supporting role). The new kids are just as badly drawn and just as annoying and just as redundant. I don't know, maybe the Japanese think kids are comedy gold or something.

it sadly do seem that way

Sparrowsabre7 said:

I would agree with 7/10 for the tv series and the typical Tomino harshness. The movie trilogy is much better, I found it removed the dead wood and super robot elements from the series and then gave it a proper ending, and as such I would rate it 9/10.

Orgun said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

I would agree with 7/10 for the tv series and the typical Tomino harshness. The movie trilogy is much better, I found it removed the dead wood and super robot elements from the series and then gave it a proper ending, and as such I would rate it 9/10.

Interesting. Different enough to warrant watching? Probably not immediately, I want to finish the rest of UC (work cut out much?)

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Orgun said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

Interesting. Different enough to warrant watching? Probably not immediately, I want to finish the rest of UC (work cut out much?)

Definitely, its a much better story and the rest of the UC time line (Z, ZZ & CCA) is based on the movies and not the TV series as the the third movie changes some of the events of the TV series.

Orgun said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Orgun said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

Definitely, its a much better story and the rest of the UC time line (Z, ZZ & CCA) is based on the movies and not the TV series as the the third movie changes some of the events of the TV series.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffacepalm >.< Ah well, I'll watch 8th MS and MS IGLOO before I go back to check out the movies.

Orgun said:

Ffffffffffffffffffffffacepalm >.< Ah well, I'll watch 8th MS and MS IGLOO before I go back to check out the movies.[/quote]

Hahaha sorry if I upset your plans Sparrowsabre7, also if you want to understand why the Titans were created by the Earth Federation and be chronologically correct then you could watch 0083 before Zeta.

I love the 08th MS Team, one of my favourite Gundam series (if you like this then check out some of Takeyuki Kanda's other works, he is a fantastic director),the IGLOO stuff is ok and even though it's Gundam I can kinda take it or leave it to a certain extent.

Orgun said:
Orgun said:

Ffffffffffffffffffffffacepalm >.< Ah well, I'll watch 8th MS and MS IGLOO before I go back to check out the movies.

Hahaha sorry if I upset your plans Sparrowsabre7, also if you want to understand why the Titans were created by the Earth Federation and be chronologically correct then you could watch 0083 before Zeta.

I love the 08th MS Team, one of my favourite Gundam series (if you like this then check out some of Takeyuki Kanda's other works, he is a fantastic director),the IGLOO stuff is ok and even though it's Gundam I can kinda take it or leave it to a certain extent.[/quote]

Man, I f**ked up trying edit all those quotes :roll:

Heh no worries. Yeah, I've just finished the first of the IGLOO "trilogy" and it was alright. I quite liked the theme of obsolecense (sp) and technology being outpaced, but otherwise rather forgettable. solid 7.5/10 though, but I wouldn't buy it/watch again in a hurry

I've been meaning post reviews for a few weeks now, so in order that I watched or completed them:

Patlabor: The Movie 2 (Bandai Version) – 7/10

My least favourite of the Patlabor movie trilogy, a great film with awesome atmosphere and tension but the pacing is too slow and it is way too talky. Oshii got it absolutely spot on with the first movie but he over indulged himself with the philosophy here. The Bandai version is a massive improvement in terms of picture and sound quality over the Manga version.

Round Vernian Vifam – 8/10

Classic 80’s mecha from one of my favourite directors. A brilliant character driven show that puts character development before the mecha action. The animation is a bit wonky but with a such consistently decent and absorbing plot you quickly look past it.

Porco Rosso – 8/10

I thought this was a bit different from other Miyazaki films and all the better for it, I really enjoyed it, a great story and it was beautiful to look at.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Vol. 1 – 9/10

An interesting continuation and development of the Universal Century rhetoric. Good characters and story and some great mecha action plus the mecha/combat animation is stunning. A solid start and I can’t wait to see how it continues.

Prism Ark – 6/10

I’m not usually into this sort of magical girl anime, but I am a huge fan of Masami Obari, so I had to see it really. It was getting really good but the plot went a bit awry in the last few episodes. It was a typical Obari anime and had all his usual hallmarks, he just made all the knights look like mecha. It was very funny and I really liked the artwork so it was a shame that he cocked it up at the end.

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 – 8/10

GitS is still a magnificent film and continues to stand the test of time, it is worthy of 9/10 and the original version earns this rating but I’ve docked the 2.0 version a mark for being visually spoilt by, IMO, some poorly realised and unnecessary CGI re-working of certain scenes (especially the opening scene) and ruins the look of the film. I watched the original version straight after (its on the disc) and this is a far more effective version.

On the quality of the disc, the transfer to HD is lacklustre and nowhere near Bandai’s efforts with older films such as Akira and Royal Space Force which both look truly stunning, this looks more like a decent DVD re-master. The DTS-HD MA sound track was really good though.

Back