Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Nope, pretty much spot on. ^_^ You could probably figure it out from general baseball knowledge (although it's slightly misleading if you don't follow Japanese baseball), but if you watch the show you would know.

Abenobashi - 7/10

Manic, reference-heavy comedy of the Excel Saga variety, bookended by more serious, melacholy episodes. It's all about escapism and growing up... or something. Often quite funny, especially the hilarious Hollywood parody near the end, but the brash slapstick grated after a while. I really enjoyed the dub and ADV's vidnotes proved indispensible.

------

True Tears - 9/10

This one exceeded my expectations. I watched all 13 episodes in two days, something that rarely happens. For me it's better than Kanon, with which it shares a similar atmosphere if not the supernatural themes.

A remarkably understated romance, it can be absolutely heartbreaking without ever resorting to the cheap emotional manipulation that sometimes afflicts the Key works (e.g. girls bawling their eyes out). But it's not just about romance; it's about growing up, overcoming grief, and moving on with life. Shinichiro is an aspiring picture book author, but he lacks inspiration. A chance meeting with Noe, a cute but slightly quirky girl with a chicken fixation, provides that inspiration. Shinichiro not only has to deal with his developing feelings for her, but with those he has for Hiromi, the girl his family adopted when her parents died. The characters don't always act logically, but that's what makes them so real.

And, oh man, it looks absolutely beautiful. The lovingly rendered backgrounds, whether depicting the inside of buildings or the snow and cold light of winter, create a keenly nostalgic atmosphere. Some scenes rival Shinkai's works for sheer raw beauty. Character designs are attractive and always on-model, and there's so much subtle but expressive character animation.

The only real issue I had is with the over "flying" metaphor. It was bearable when used by Noe, but when it was adopted by Shinichiro, it started to annoy. And sometimes the characters' words and actions could be a little too understated, leaving some things more implied than I would have liked. This could be cultural, I guess. Also, the use of CG for crowd scenes (sometimes with hand drawn characters in the foreground) is rather odd; at times it looks as though there's an army of androids marching through the school.

But those are minor quibbles. If you like the Key anime adaptations, you'll probably like this. It's quite fabulous.

I see you ignored the fact that, after the series should've ended - following the lead chasing after THE ONLY GIRL HE WANTED THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE ******* SERIES on a bike, in dramatic fashion - two or so episodes were added to extend the series; the lead randomly deciding he suddenly wanted the chicken-loving retard, whose very unrealistic existence irked me right from the start. For a romance story to work, the characters can't be fake, otaku-pandering pieces of ****.

And, as much as I like you, I can't be typing to a guy who 9/10's an anime that's pushed forward via basic chicken metaphors in a serious manner; the lead using chickens as some form of artistic inspiration, and the retard using her chicken's inability to fly to motivate the lead.

We're done. I want a divorce. You being into kiddy **** like Giant Robo rubbed me up the wrong way; you even getting me to watch it, but this is a step too far. And you still ******* well haven't done what you said you would and picked up Claymore or Naruto, or ordered me a copy of Kurau 6.

Cocker!

:D

The series couldn't have ended after episode 10. There were still matters that needed to be resolved. I don't know where you're getting the idea that he suddenly decided to change his mind after making a decision, because that's not what happened at all. It was a complicated situation, one that Shinichiro didn't want to deal with, and not as easy as just saying "bai!" and running into the arms of his true love.

Why are you using a laughing face? I'm not joking. I can't be dealing with people with such terrible taste. It's as if you're trying to lower our MAL compatibility with your random scoring method. Just looking at your MAL list makes me... ANGRY!

I thought you'd learned your place after not responding to me expressing why Giant Robo is aimed at children, but seemingly you still need to learn not to type back to me.

There weren't "matters that needed to be resolved".

Aion Fact #1: "Complicated situation"? Bull. The lead only had eyes for the long-haired chick, because long-haired chicks are hot. There was supposed to be a 'love square' but, really, there was one girl of interest, a slut even the lead wouldn't go near and a retarded girl everyone avoided.

Aion Fact #2: When the long-haired chick moved out, the lead FINALLY made his move; showing her he wanted her with his actions and confessing to her in dramatic fashion... Then, because not enough episodes were made, the lead did a complete 180 and decided he was more interested in the retarded girl. Of course, because the anime had already ended a few episodes before, he still ended up sticking with the long-haired chick like anyone with more than a few brain cells to be rub together would; making the last few episodes totally ******* pointless.

I'm not the only person on planet Earth to find issue with this. Even with my horrid memory, I recall seeing someone else say the exact same thing.

Aion Fact #3: Anything that uses chickens to push its plot forward is too dumb to be rated 9/10.

...If you respond without admitting that I'm, as ever, correct, I'll reveal your most secret-secret to all of internet. (Just a small nudge in the right direction.)

^____________^

Clannad

clannad01.jpg

Kyoto Animation have been keen to retain the interests of their established fanbase for several years now. Though not being received as masterful tours de force by all reviewers, fan reactions to their ongoing sequence of mildy-comedic dramas have remained persistently strong since the release of their aestival tragedy, Air. Subsequent shows continue to operate on the foundations this set; a central character engaged with the dilemmas and occasional romantic inclinations of adolescent females, each character receiving due exposition in a well-defined character arc. Clannad remains no exception to this. Tomoya and Nagisa, a self-proclaimed school delinquent and a somewhat timid young girl respectively, are established as the series' principle couple from the outset, with subsequent characters being each allocated a few episodes of stardom during the pair's overarching storyline. One might find such a structure becomes tiring on its third iteration, as if to suggest that Key's fanbases would be averse to synchronic character development or sets of relationships less resemblant of a harem. Such a preliminary criticism ought to be admitted, though to belittle the show just for adhering to a tried-and-tested formula is to discredit it outright. It is clear that Clannad does not strive for a new thematic direction, and as such I don't hold such hefty expectations of it.

Nevertheless, there exists a salient difference in tone exist between Clannad and her sister titles. This difference may be seen as both a blessing and a curse, but one that I found not have worked to the show's overall favour: a smaller number of melodramatic devices being subjected to the central cast. Fans of Air and Kanon will no doubt have much to say of the assorted perils befalling the heroines of such tales, though the comparative devices seem somewhat watered-down on this outing.

We see Fuko, childlike and playful, labouring away at publicising a personal occasion. Inevitably, she suffers a predicament of a sort her outward appearance doesn't suggest, such a predicament culminating in one of Key's patented “climax” episodes. Though the audience keenly awaits a grand cathartic crescendo, the resultant culmination of her efforts fails to reach the level of past arcs from previous shows. (Makoto's arc in Kanon, I hold, is the one to beat.) This is not to say it isn't effective at all, just that the actual plot itself—in addition to imperfect pacing of vital scenes—exerts only a comparatively minor strain upon one's heartstrings. Entertaining certainly, heartbreaking less so.

The standard Fuko's arc sets is bettered by the chapter it precedes, but unfortunately not by a margin sufficient to elevate the series very far beyond the level of appeal set from its outset. A learned and familiarly-retrained girl by the name of Kotomi nurtures new friendships whilst revealing her anguish towards a past tragedy. For those familiar with such an environment, so far so good. To my pleasant surprise, this part of the show counteracted Fuko's fantastical revelations quite aptly: Kotomi's pains are soothed not by otherworldly happenings, but by a the receipt of a somewhat ordinary gift, granting the show a touching moment without employing supernatural devices. Conversely, the sentimental power imparted by her tale is, as mentioned above, far from overwhelming and by no means beyond improvement.

As the series winds to a close, the pinnacle of Kotomi's story remains somewhat unrivalled. Nagisa's achievement of her thespian ambitions is marred by an abrupt injection of conflict into her situation, producing a lingering lukewarm affect to mar one's appreciation of the epilogue.
Not willing to come across as having lost their steam however, KyoAni provide an additional single-episode story as an alternative to this improvable ending. Though perhaps not a one-shot romance of the sort perfected by Makoto Shinkai, this additional act finally grants Clannad its moment of glory. In it, a nurturing relationship becomes dampened by academic concerns, before leading to a moment of reconciliation sufficiently passionate to offset much of the series' duller episodes. Despite not performing quite the hat-trick one might have hoped, this episode provides one last hurrah to silence those who doubt the directorial staff's extant ability to rouse their viewers, despite also suggesting that the canonical story was not made to the highest calibre of which the writing staff were capable.

Being from the revered studios of KyoAni, it was almost inevitable that the series would provide ample production values; the R1 DVD release shows a crisp, clear digital transfer resplendent with details and fluid movements. Character designs nonetheless remain an acquired taste. Exaggerated facial expressions will deter those unfamiliar to the subgenre, even if they are more tolerant of the character mannerisms with which it is filled. Musical cues contain some endearing pieces, with the ending theme being one of the most interesting I have heard in recent months, but with certain incidental pieces being more mediocre to my ear.

Ultimately, Clannad shows that KyoAni are still able to induce emotive responses amongst the Key fanbase when effort is applied, whilst also warning that this requires a fine balance to be struck between the severity of a dramatic device and the time invested in establishing it. Clannad goes through all necessary motions to reach storytelling peaks, but delivers them with less than optimum reliability. One hopes that the direct sequel to this tale better blends character anguish with emotional release, and shows slightly more finesse at exploiting characters' situations to better purge the viewer through cathartic release.

Indeed, only half of the story has elapsed in these 24 episodes, and its occasional strengths might be sufficient to justify the hope—albeit tentatively—that the scene has been set for a triumphant return to past quality in the upcoming half.

Naruto the movie 3: Guardians of the cresent moon kingdom
6/10
Wow....just....wow. This was really bad!

it was so slow! The villains were very boring and unoriginal and Rock hardly said a word!

Definately the worst Naruto movie!

Gunbuster

If my change of avatar wasn't a big enough clue, I enjoyed Gunbuster.

As is typical of any super robot show, Gunbuster had its share of hot-blooded speeches, emotional clashes and farewells, and, most importantly, adrenaline fuelled ass kicking. Gunbuster does well in not getting bogged down in details of why and how things are the way they are by keeping everything short and sweet, unlike other super robot shows, like TTGL. You want passion and fighting, and that's what you're given. Even the characters encountered are typical of a super robot show, but Gunbuster gets them just right. They are never obnoxious or caricatures of the archetypes present in these types of anime (again another aspect that TTGL fails at).

I consider Gunbuster to be an essential watch if you like mecha or want to watch something that inspired the creation of some of today's anime and manga.

8/10

Zin5ki said:
KANON was the first one not AIR, and the first one animated (though not originaly by KyoAni)
Lots of Key fans also hate her character design, although the more recent versions have got much better. I also like CLANNAD's lack of fairytale, with most stories containg none, only: Fuko, Nagisa, afterstory, Kotomi, and Misae contain any.

Not going to pick at bits here too much:
It's not a harem, neither are AIR or KANON (each arc contains 2/3 female characters max)
Time resests after each arc (or should do), CLANNAD actualy does this in the original narative expicitly. (Afterstory requires it, resulting in a rather strange end to the anime)
It's a comedy (or rather the school life arcs are, of which this first season only comprises)

In short it's main fault is the nececity of adaptation of the game into an anime. Mostly loss of the comedy elements, the inevitable chronology issues(and resulting harem-y feel) also cutting the Kyou and Tomoyo routes to 1 ep OVAs as they completly break the Nagisa route; he goes out with Tomoyo midway through her route and Ryou midway through Kyou's route .
Wether keeping to the original character and setting designs so tightly is a good thing or not is a matter of opinion. But does mean you don't piss off harcore fans of the game, who are of course the main audience and buyers of DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
One can but echo the sentiments spoken of GunBuster. Until I'm in a position to buy an expensive imported copy of Macross DYRL, such a series stands as perhaps the most important 1980s mecha releases I've managed to obtain. I plan on purchasing the sequel, preferably at the Expo.

I admit that the order of Key's original Visual Novels is not mirrored by that of KyoAni's releases, something that scaped my mind originally. Appropriately or otherwise, I try to distance myself from interpreting the recent adaptations qua their source material. By lacking knowledge of their origins, my judgement of them will naturally go against that of long-standing Key aficionados. Unlike they, I view KyoAni's Kanon as a KyoAni's own canon of Kanon, so to speak.
Much of what I found to be to Clannad's detriment might, of course, been to the favour of viewers attached to the VN.

Dantes Inferno: The animated epic
6/10
An animated epic? Thats going a tad bit too far.

Why were there different kinds of animations? It would of been better if there were just one! And the animation werent even that good. Plus the action wasnt exactly great eaither.

Another let down :(

Dragonball Z season 9
10/10
Best season of them all! Had action, comedy and drama all into one boxset!

Dragonball Z
100/10

Well Ive finished Dragonball Z. After so many years i was able to watch it again. I absolutly loved it back in primary school and do i still love it now you ask? Yes! Even more than i used to. And i always will. It has everything. Action, comedy, romance, drama, adventure you name it!

So if i was to sum up Dragonball Z in one sentance, it would be this: This anime Is MOTHER F*****G EPIC!

Buso Renkin
9/10
A great action packed anime series. The first 13 episodes are a bit crap but after it is awsome!

Good things
Loads of fighting and action!
Great characters
Fantastic story

Bad things
the first 13 episodes are a bit crap and might put people off the series.
It borrows alot of things from Bleach

But overall this was a great series.

D Gray man season 1 part 1
9/10
This is fantastic. I thought it was going to be a ripoff of FMA, But it isnt! It has a great sotry very likeable characters and some pretty damn action!

Plus The millenium Earl is one badass Motherf****r!!! I have'nt seen a cool villain like him since Majin Buu

Despite the name of the series, I've still never reviewed anything that actually sucks. This time, I ramble about something that isn't especially good, but it's still pretty interesting.

Golgo 13: The Professional

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gB6O7ZhOfyg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gB6O7ZhOfyg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

No luck reducing the background hiss so far, but if I can improve the sound any, I'll re-upload it.

Back