Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Morbo

Adventurer
After watching Akira at Basingstoke cinema yesterday and in hopes to relight my burn out of anime, tonight's viewing was street fighter 2 the movie.

I picked this after watching @HdE's review today and seemed right to pull me back in as it doesn't need a lot of concentration.

As per his review its pretty much mindless violence for the sake of it. Perfect for my current mood as anything convoluted would have put me off.

Easily a 8/10 for me as it's cheesy with plenty of fights with characters from a childhood game.

Joe

Magical Girl
The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya - 9/10

I'd already read (and enjoyed) the first few volumes of the manga and was interested in seeing how it would translate to animated form. I was grinning from ear to ear pretty much the whole way through. Because of it's short runtime, it's also got probably the most concentrated amount of moments that made me laugh out loud from any anime I've seen as well. I really wish there were more of it.

Lutga

Mad Scientist
The Street Fighter 2 movie is an absolute classic, from the grungey 90s rock soundtrack to the infamous Chun Li shower scene and the sweary dub. For my money, the Chun Li vs Vega fight is still one of the most intense and best animated I've seen.

ShipTeaser

Dandy Guy, in Space
The Street Fighter 2 movie is an absolute classic, from the grungey 90s rock soundtrack to the infamous Chun Li shower scene and the sweary dub. For my money, the Chun Li vs Vega fight is still one of the most intense and best animated I've seen.
Totally agree. My only dissapointment in it is Blanka gets way too little screentime. I usually watch this once a year or so with a few beers

orgun

Death Scythe
Galactic Drifter Vifam 9/10

Sunrise's most overlooked and underrated series and director IMHO.

Vifam is an almost perfect character driven drama, it doesn't focus on the mecha or the war that creates the backdrop of the series, in fact it cleverly never fully resolves the war, providing only a snapshot that tells the story of the 13 kids that get to the end. I say almost perfect because some of the arcs tend to drag unnecessarily for an episode that just slow the story down and the two recap episodes aren't warranted either, hence a 9 instead of a 10.

The animation is a big ropey in places but the excellent plot, characters and music more than make up for it.

Takeyuki Kanda was a great director and he is very overshadowed by Tomino and Takahashi but he did some awesome series and I rate him right up there as part Sunrise's triumvirate of mecha masters.

Baggie_Saiyan

Thousand Master
Your Lie in April. 8-9/10 can't decide.

Bittersweet ending to an overall solid anime that was actually more times then not pretty hilarious. Course there were a few emotional moments scattered through but yeah really enjoyed this one. Definitely recommend if anyone wants a "cozy" anime.

HdE

Comic Book Guy
After watching Akira at Basingstoke cinema yesterday and in hopes to relight my burn out of anime, tonight's viewing was street fighter 2 the movie.

I picked this after watching @HdE's review today and seemed right to pull me back in as it doesn't need a lot of concentration.

As per his review its pretty much mindless violence for the sake of it. Perfect for my current mood as anything convoluted would have put me off.

Easily a 8/10 for me as it's cheesy with plenty of fights with characters from a childhood game.
I'm late seeing this, but cheers for the mention, Morbo!

I reckon that's about as on-point a summary of the film as you could get. It's not actually that great a film, but certainly good fun! And watching it with a six pack to hand is certainly recommended. Heck - I'd be tempted to push the boat out and get a chicken bhuna in as well. Add friends and hey presto - perfect night in!

Incidentally, I'm working on some new Street Fighter content for my channel right now. It's looking likely to appear sooner rather than later at this point.

Lutga

Mad Scientist
There's definitely a line in classic anime from the late 80s through to the early 2000s - basically the 'beer and pizza' stuff that used to be Manga's main line. Other favourites from the period including Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Wicked City etc.

qaiz

Pokémon Master
Manga Entertainment released Akira in cinemas to a surprising degree of success and figured that a little upcoming project called Ghost in the Shell would replicate that success so when it failed and a little film that they released on VHS called Ninja Scroll instead did amazingly well, their best selling title at the time even, well that put them on a different trajectory that would be felt by us all. It was an edgy time.

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
I suppose they must have done alright out of Naruto and Bleach, but on some level, I've always felt that Manga never quite recovered after the supply of bubble-era video nasties dried up.

Lutga

Mad Scientist
I think that era is definitely still the era of Manga that remains strongest in people's minds - certainly as a brand 'name' with individual value. When you bought a Manga VHS back in the day, you were buying into the Manga brand and all it represented. Whereas by the era of Naruto, it had flipped and it were the shows themselves that were the real stars.

I do wish we'd got a few more steel-books / BR remasters out of the period when Manga were reissuing their classics. Sure, Akira, GITS, Ninja Scroll and even Street Fighter 2 were the obvious ones - but I'd have loved to have seen Wicked City get the same treatment too. A lot of the old Manga era video nasties were utter garbage *cough Psychic Wars cough*, but a few were notably decent. There were even the ones like RG Veda and the old Arslan OVAs that never made the transition from VHS to DVD.

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
That's a good point - I wasn't that interested in the new Arslan, but I would certainly buy a DVD/BD of the old oav series.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

It leaves no cliche unturned in terms of its characterisation, but this was a consistently exciting and entertaining action series, much elevated by its wonderfully realised retro visuals. It's a shame that it'll probably never escape the comparisons to Attack on Titan as, while it certainly owes a debt to AoT, it is not the blatant knock-off some would have you believe, and arguably maintains its pacing far better than its illustrious forebear. I don't think I would go as far as to say Kabaneri is the better show, but it's most definitely deserving of your attention.

Lutga

Mad Scientist
Kabaneri went in with such high hopes - and I'd say for the first half at least, it matches them. The first two episodes alone were absolutely terrific. But yeah, the second half went so scarily off the rails (heh...) that it was kind of shocking.

Rosencrantz

Dragon Knight
Nisekoi Season 2 - 8/10

I've fallen behind with the Manga but this season felt largely like a holding pattern of those in between chapters. Still enjoyable though.

-edit-

Forgot I also watched the Strike Witches Movie

Felt somewhat like a longer episode, decent but nothing ground breaking.
At least this time when she got her powers back they didn't disappear at the end, that sucked in S2 and I'd of totally lost it if they did that here.

Last edited:

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Kizumonogatari - Parts 1+2

Having only seen Bakemonogatari prior to this, I'm unsure quite what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it.

It's still got all the hallmarks you'd expect of the series, with the agressively artificial setting, off-kilter direction and flippantly existential dialogue, but it's a bit grander in scope and I appreciated the greater emphasis on action. The level of fanservice is about where you'd expect - not severe, albeit highly fetishised - but the only thing I really objected to was that I found some of the more expository scenes a little boring. Monogatari seems to live on its quirky style and quick wit, so when it's not doing anything visually interesting and the dialogue isn't being clever, it feels a bit unremarkable - the story itself really isn't that complicated, when you get right down to it. Mercifully there wasn't much of that though - it held my interest pretty well and there are some real standout action sequences, particularly in the second part.

Actually my one other negative comment would be that I'm very glad they showed both parts together - had it just been the first, I'd have felt rather cheated. There are a few nice cuts, but part one does feel a lot like it's just setting things up for part two.

Smeelia

Thousand Master
Free! Eternal Summer

This was an enjoyable second season that basically provides more of the same sort of thing as the first season (which is perfectly fine). It's still an appealing mix of character driven comedy with occasional light dramatic content and a good dose of heart.

While the first season is occasionally referenced and has affected our characters to make them who they are in this second season, I do think it'd be possible to jump into the second season without needing to have seen the first. If you watched the first season afterwards you'd know how certain events would turn out but I wouldn't say the first season was entirely unpredictable and the actual details of events (not to mention the comedy) are probably more important so I don't think anything major would be lost.

I have to say, I do think this season benefits from having Rin more directly and openly involved in the show. In the previous season he often stayed in the background due to the need to keep him somewhat mysterious, with that restriction removed we get to spend a lot more time with him and he's one of the strongest characters in the show. I wasn't entirely sure about him through most of the first season but, for me, he stole the majority of scenes he was in this time around.

I'm still not entirely sold on Haru as the main character, he suffers from a tendency to be mysterious in a similar way to Rin and he has the added disadvantage of having everyone talk about how great he is. On the plus side, this season actually takes that situation and builds some effective drama out of it and that makes much of the issues with Haru retroactively easier to accept (in fairness, the first season did something similar so it's probably easier to accept Haru in general if you're following on from the first season). While I still tend to prefer other characters, I do have to give the show credit for making Haru more of an actual person rather than just a magical superbeing for everyone else to look up to.

This season introduces some new characters, which has it's good and bad points. The new characters have some strong moments, with Momotaro mostly being there for comedy and Sosuke having a solid dramatic storyline and helping to drive some of the other stories too. On the downside, the show already had quite a few characters and a tendency to leave some underdeveloped in the first season, so that trend does continue here with most characters only getting an episode of attention (and some not getting even that) while only a few get more in-depth storylines. It's especially disappointing to see certain characters have a further reduced role when they clearly had some potential that the show doesn't seem interested in making anything of.

I should probably give special mention to the OVA episode, where even Haru manages to have some strong moments. It's all very silly but it's also quite entertaining and it probably does benefit from the background we've had on the characters. It doesn't include any major developments but it still feels worthwhile and is a pretty nice way to round out the series on a fun note.

Overall, this was another enjoyable season of a solid and entertaining show. Certainly worth a watch if you enjoyed the first season and it'd probably be worth a try if you have any interest in shows with light drama and slice of life type comedy.

Smeelia

Thousand Master
Battle Girls: Time Paradox / Sengoku Otome - Momoiro Paradox

This was kind of an odd show, it has elements of action, slice of life comedy, fanservice, haremish romance and yuri (kind of essential to the harem/romance, given the all-female cast). It doesn't really do much with any of them though, so it's hard to say exactly who the target audience is.

I suppose it's mostly a very light comedy with fanservice elements. The fanservice isn't always particularly strong though, some of the outfits are fanservicey (several characters wear bikini armour) and there is some detailed nudity on a few occasions but that kind of fanservice doesn't feel like a major focus. I suppose the yuri aspects would mostly count as fanservice in this case, with only a little relevance to the almost non-existent plot.

The character designs are okay, although they kind of remind me of characters from other shows and that may be part of what I liked about them. Much the same applies to their personalities (in as far as they have personalities), they're all fairly basic but vaguely reminiscent of characters from other shows. Still, I feel like I should give special mention to the "villain", Tokunyan, probably mostly because of the name (well, it's technically a nickname) but I did also find her "evil" antics quite amusing.

I'd hesitate to call this a bad show, at least partly because I found it mildly entertaining, but there's really very little substance to the show. Things happen in the show but the events never seem too important and the characters don't really grow, change or reveal hidden depths. I think it'd be fairly reasonable to call it "mindless entertainment" and I suppose it does achieve some success if that's what it's aiming to be.

I don't think I'd be likely to recommend the show to anyone and I'm not sure I'd watch it again but I can't say that I regret watching it either (even if I could have spent the time on better shows instead).

Smeelia

Thousand Master
Expelled from Paradise

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this because I hadn't read too much about it beforehand, I thought it might be a flashy action heavy film but it's actually kind of a quiet character story (with a bit of flashy action for good measure). More specifically, it's a story about three characters, with different backgrounds and perspectives, who each grow through their interactions with each other.

I also found the film to be surprisingly fun. There's a fair bit of talking in the show but the characters can be fairly charming and the film avoids having the dialogue drag by always having it delivered in interesting ways or while also giving something to watch. It also doesn't restrict itself to just telling everything, many of the developments are shown in the way that characters act or through their expressions. Some of the dialogue could potentially feel a little preachy, with one of the main themes of the film being that freedom and choice are important aspects of life, but this is only occasionally likely to be an issue and only for people who especially dislike that kind of thing. For the most part, the characters each express slightly different opinions and it rarely feels that any character is being outright denounced as wrong.

The introduction doesn't really give the best impression, starting off with a mixture of fanservice and action that doesn't really seem to be saying much. It does, however, work quite effectively as a way to introduce the home of Angela (one of the main characters). We don't see too much of Angela's home during the film but the brief glimpses that we do get generally felt like enough.

The show does have a sci-fi setting but it doesn't examine any of the sci-fi concepts it brings up too deeply. There's only ever one "copy" of Angela, whether she's in a physical body or not, so there aren't any questions about what digitising might mean in a spiritual sense nor are any similar issues examined. This generally works quite well, the world building is sufficient without being too distracting and the main focus remains on the characters. The film essentially treats all of the characters as people, regardless of whether they are digital or physical, and that benefits the kind of story it's telling.

The art and character designs for the film are generally quite good. Angela's old school sci-fi outfit is perhaps a little silly but feels appropriately so, and the other character designs are fairly effective (if not necessarily entirely unique). The animation is probably where some people will struggle, since it's a slightly odd CGI style. I didn't have an issue with it for the most part (and there are some scenes where it works fairly well, or at least isn't noticeable) but it is somewhat distracting a little too often. I wouldn't say I'm the most perceptive when it comes to seeing details in animation, so if I notice times where the animation feels too jumpy or unnatural then that's probably a bad sign. Still, I didn't feel that the animation issues significantly undermined my enjoyment of the film, so if you're more likely to focus on the story and art than the animation then there's a reasonable chance you'll be fine.

Overall, I did enjoy the film quite a bit. It's not necessarily the deepest or most impactful film but it has it's moments and is pleasantly enjoyable as a whole. There's a good chance I'd watch it again and I'd probably recommend it to people who enjoy more character focussed sci-fi.

Lutga

Mad Scientist
I really enjoyed Expelled From Paradise - mainly just because despite the CG visuals, everything in it, from the hard sci-fi tone to Angela as a character seemed like such a retro throwback to the 'golden days' of anime sci-fi (the 80s - early 90s) that so many fans lament there isn't enough of these days.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
Yuri on Ice-Episodes 1-6 (Dropped)

Yuri on Ice is an incredibly popular show at the minute, and to a lot of people it's their favourite anime of the Autumn. However, to me, it's the most bafflingly series I picked up this season. Not because of the show itself, but because of the rampant popularity. You see it topping the Crunchyroll popularity graphs and the MAL score is crazy high considering far better shows are currently sitting at less than an 8/10. Everywhere I turn, I see people pouring heaps and heaps of praise on this and I just do not understand it. Not only is it the worst show I'm watching out of all this season's crop, I'd almost certainly say it's the worst show I've seen of any season this year. I haven't liked it from the get go, but I gave it 6 episodes and it just still did nothing at all to impress me.

To get the massive elephant in the room out the way first, I didn't just dislike this anime because of the yaoi. I won't lie, I don't like yaoi, and I didn't like the yaoi aspects on display here in particular. I'm not a homophobe or anything like that, I think that goes without saying, or at least I'd like to think, but this kind of thing doesn't appeal to me. With that said, even if I distance myself from my bias, I still don't think the whole yaoi fan service thing works at all. I thought it was an incredibly distracting element, and the relationship between Yuri and Victor seemed mostly played for laughs. There were a couple of more genuine moments between the two but the bits that seemed to play the whole yaoi thing for laughs massively outweighed the more serious side of their relationship. This just comes across as mindless pandering to the fujo crowd and I'm surprised more people haven't called this show out on the endless bait. I'm not a huge fan of fan service aimed at straight men either, so perhaps the fact I don't like either kind of fan service gives me the perspective to see it for what it is, but the fact that most male aimed fan service shows get almost universally derided yet this is so popular comes across as a little hypocritical from the anime community as a whole. However, I digress.

As well as the rather disappointing relationship between the two lead characters, I must also say that I wasn't even a fan of the characters in this show to begin with. Having only seen the first 6 episodes, this is the one area where I think I can give the show the most slack, because there is still another 6 episodes or perhaps more, if there is a follow up season, to flesh these characters out a bit more than I saw here, but I thought each and everyone of them was not only lacking in the development side of things, but they weren't even massively likeable characters anyway. The Japanese Yuri, I felt, was just an incredibly boring character. I never really feel attached to him, and as such, I never felt any investment in the outcome of the ice skating events that occur throughout the show. Victor was just a total annoyance, and was always the one at the center of all the yaoi centric jokes that fell flat and felt like bait, and the Russian Yuri was just a plain unlikable jerk. I guess he might be some kind of tsundere type, but I didn't really see enough of him to come to that conclusion, and what I did see I really didn't like.

Perhaps the biggest crime committed by this show though is the fact it is boring. This was mainly the case in episodes 5 and 6, but the general direction of the series at that point was what made me decide to drop it now. The actual competition sequences on display here are just incredibly dull. I've been told this is just because I don't like ice skating, but I find that excuse to be a rather poor one at best. There are a ton of shows about subjects I wouldn't like outside of an anime that I love. I have less than zero interest in swimming, yet I still adore Free!, I don't like brass band music, yet Sound! Euphonium is one of my favourite shows of recent memory. Basically, just because I don't like ice skating doesn't mean that it's impossible for me to like an ice skating anime, yet I still ended up quite disliking this. The thing is, all of the ice skating routines by the various different contests all looked identical, but set to different music. I'm not saying they are all the same, but they feel all the same. There are only so many times I can watch a guy spin around in a sequined costume before they all start blending together in a blur of sameyness. Even the direction of these scenes feel identical to one another. If the director varied up the angles or added in some more interesting moves, even if the moves aren't realistic, it would have done a ton to help out in staving off my boredom.

Despite the fact I did end up heavily disliking this show, I will give credit where I think credit is due. This is my first time watching an anime by the studio MAPPA and I was generally quite impressed at the level of visuals on display here. It's not the best looking show I've ever seen in my life, but I'd certainly say the quality was above average, especially in the ice skating bits. They may have been dull as dishwater, but that doesn't mean they weren't pretty to look at! I also can't fault the voice acting in any way, that was also pretty great, and the opening, Time to Make History, was a song I begrudgingly started to like far more than I should, and the visuals of the opening were also top notch.

In the end, I don't think I'll ever see the appeal of Yuri on Ice. I gave it a fair shot, watching half of it, but at this point it just feels like masochism. Every week I'd hope I'd finally get it, but it just never happened. I am quite happy that so many people do seem to be loving this show, and I'm quite jealous of the fact they can get so much enjoyment out of it, but for me, I just genuinely can't stand it, and as such, I won't be watching any more of it.

5/10

Blog Version

Last edited: