Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

I think Arise is worth a look, even though the first episode is absolutely dire. There's enough decent stuff in the second to make you (read: me) feel liek the effort is worthwhile, and it looks great.

But, definitely go straight to Stand Alone Complex. And pester the hell out of Mangamatsu for a blu ray re-release. It's a modern classic.

Personally I really didn't enjoy Arise, especially as part of the ongoing GITS franchise. It's glossy and nice to look at, but I hated the character designs and both the plot and general staging of the whole thing are pretty clunky and forgettable.

Smeelia said:
On a related note, do people recommend watching Innocence next, the TV series or something else?
Seeing as you've shown an interest in Togusa, I'd strongly recommend Innocence. While I wouldn't call him the lead - that title belongs to Batou - Togusa's place in a world ruled by cybernetic augmentation is definitely a strong, underlying theme of the movie. It seems to have somewhat of a bad rap due to the clunky nature of the narrative, which isn't necessarily unfair, however if you go into Innocence with the understanding of it as more of a vehicle to gain insight into the characters, world, and Mamoru Oshii's mind it's a great watch.

It might also help if you're writing an essay on it for university. :lol:

I probably won't write an essay on it but I'll try to get around to watching Innocence soon. I've been trying to catch up on films that I've been accumulating for a while.

On a related note, I watched Wings of Honneamise/Royal Space Force.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've heard it described as slow but I didn't really feel it was, there did always seem to be something keeping my attention.

The way the characters were handled is interesting, I did get a feel for them watching the show but I also felt an odd kind of "distance". While we spend a lot of time with the main character we don't really see much about his life, he mentions a few things at the beginning and there's a scene with him and his friends out after work but mostly we see him either at work or meeting the woman he's interested in. It could just have been me, although in some ways it seems appropriate because he doesn't seem to feel that he had much of a life before and part of the film is about him finding motivation and a purpose in life rather than just coasting his way through. Either way, I thought it worked quite well.

Although I may not remember many of their names (which is at least partly just me), the characters themselves were often quite memorable. For some reason, I particularly liked the moments with the foreign leader (who sounded a bit like Jabba the Hutt) and his assistant.

I'd imagine the visuals are probably the main attraction for many people. It really is a well built and detailed world and there's always something to see. I'd imagine I missed a ridiculous number of little details in the way things are designed.

With regard to the scene that had previously been removed, I didn't think it was too bad although I don't think removing the scene would be a problem either. I would say that I tend to have a strong distaste for this kind of content so I was surprised that it didn't really bother me. I think it helps that Shitotsugh seems to stop before he's forcibly stopped. As for the aftermath, I felt Riquinni was more apologetic about hitting him rather than feeling she was responsible for his actions.

I couldn't decide if the film was trying to be pro-religion or if it was more trying to say that the important thing is what people do. The main character is at least partly inspired by the things in the Holy Book but even the book itself admits that they are really just the thoughts of people and that we don't really know what a god's morality might be. Even so, the book does also encourage prayer so it's implied that we should still have faith in something. Still, I suppose that faith doesn't necessarily have to be in a "higher being" and prayer could easily be interpreted as "hoping for the best". Maybe it's not really intended to be important but I thought it was interesting.

At the end of the day, I think the main thing that appealed to me here was the idea of finding a purpose in life and inspiring others. I'd say that's probably mostly what the film is about, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Street Fighter 2 - The Animated Movie - 8/10

Picked this up as I'd heard people talking about Manga's infamous sweary dub for it for ages and wanted to see what it was like. And having watched it, I have to say it was less lewd than I thought it was going to be - just a couple of 'f**ks' and a 'dickhead' and that was it really. On paper, this film just shouldn't work - based on a game and with a practically nonexistent plot. But somehow it just all comes together and just 'works', powering through the cast of characters and locations at a serious rate of knots (I swear the location changes country about every five minutes or so!)

From Bison's cheesy as hell lines to Chun Li's tits-ahoy shower scene and the kick ass industrial/alt-rock soundtrack (Alice In Chains? Hell yeah!) this is pure 90s beer and curry movie territory - a Friday night fun-fest of gold old fashioned thrills. The production values are really high for something made in the early 90s too, and even though the version I saw wasn't widescreen, the animation is fluid in all the right places - the Chun Li/Vega fight in particular is probably one of the best hand-to-hand punch ups I've ever seen in anime.

So yeah, all in all, really pleasantly surprised with this one. I thought it was going to be awful 'so bad it's good stuff', but instead it's *actually* good.

^ That Chun-Li shower fight with Vega ranks highly among anime's best sequences. The music (was different depending on sub/dub, iirc?) as Guile tried to get there added to the scene immensely. Tho, for me, Kawajiri will always be the master of anime action.

Smeelia said:
The way the characters were handled is interesting, I did get a feel for them watching the show but I also felt an odd kind of "distance". While we spend a lot of time with the main character we don't really see much about his life, he mentions a few things at the beginning and there's a scene with him and his friends out after work but mostly we see him either at work or meeting the woman he's interested in. It could just have been me, although in some ways it seems appropriate because he doesn't seem to feel that he had much of a life before and part of the film is about him finding motivation and a purpose in life rather than just coasting his way through. Either way, I thought it worked quite well.

That part of the film you type of was as close to capturing nilhilism as anime is going to get, unless you count the Korean 'King of Pigs' and 'The Fake'. The lead drifted through life without a goal, just going along with the flow, whilst being deeply unsatisfied and unhappy. I remember the walks through the town, such as the one where the lead met the religious woman, conveying this sense of bleak unease better than anything else.

-----------

Was surprised to see this thread still exists. Here are my most recent anime scores, forum posts and MAL tags (short + capital emphasis due to MAL limitations), whilst I'm here:

Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden - 6/10
Planning: "Make Yin a love interest & give her an EVIL split personality based on a Goddess prophecy. Contractors = failed dolls, also." LOSES CHARM w/o Kanno's music. Liked ep1 bonding, ep4 Hei SMEX & dark tone but series identity lost in DISJOINTEDNESS.

Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini - 3/10
WHER KANNO? Snow replaced green-purple. Hei = drunk HOBO; Mao = RAT. New cast (lightsaber lesbo) + PARODY BAD pedo son / gay dad = NO! World reset morning toast space car end WTF!? Cleaning duty IN RUSSIA. Contractors: now autistic.

----

As a standalone series, until the final ep, it was just painfully average, with numerous low-points. But as a DtB sequel? It didn't even look like S1 and Kanno ran for the hills, taking her music with her. No identity, no episodic variation to escape the ****fest twin cloning story and no S1-S2 cohesion. Contractors suddenly went from rational to autistic as the the writing reached toilet levels of parody bad.

My friend mentioned the blonde informant woman wearing a Power Ranger outfit randomly, complete with retro space gun, and some kind of retro-futuristic space car flying off at end, but the final ep was even more ANIME NOOOOO than I expected. Shion made a moon, met world-ending Yin yet world didn't end and a deal was made, the world was reset/cloned, everyone revived/cloned and Hei walked off with Yin in his arms, never to be seen again.Who knows. That Section 3 head honcho guy was even doing a bearchested Arnie gun pose. And Yin got out of a coffin as a boy, or sumat. There are just no words. No wonder there was never a sequel. I can't even say the budget impressed since the art was noticeably off; especially when Hei attacked Misaki. CHEAP.

Also, Mari Okada can *expletive*. She did the screenplays for eps4-6 (the pedo guy + crossdressing gay dad crying WTF, and Mao's coincidental ankle memories) and I'm willing to bet it was her bright-eyed feminist idea to have that lesbian samurai woman rape guys with kisses and act like a victim. Someone needs to explain to anime people that feminine WTF is anti-cool. No wonder she worked on Michiko & Hatchin as well. Jesus...

The new support cast were laughably bad... but the returning cast almost matched them. Hei turned into a drunk hobo without the coat/mask, and Mao became the ugliest flying rat EVER. Misaki, meanwhile, became a virgin just to please otaku and was entirely worthless. Oh, and July? Hei killed April, yet he became a comrade of Team Hei. At least he was consistent in terms of having no personality.

What really pisses me off about this mess is the S1-S2 OVA: that was decent. Yet it came after S2 almost as an afterthought to explain just WHY Yin was an evil Goddess outta nowhere. It had badarse Hei, and it had Hei-Yin, it had episodicness... it was actually a DtB continuation. So why not just sodding make that into S2 instead of bizarrely timeskipping to Mother Russia (yeah, they have JP cleaning duty + WUV confessions, fo sho) without EVER explaining what the deal with Yin was? What, did Hei teaching Suou to belly dance matter more?

*Expletive* anime sequels. They all, almost universally, suck. Only good parts of this were Hei killing BritTits and Hei's car badarse sequence. Ep9 was the best ep because it had detective idiot duo... one of the weakest aspects of S1 was the best part of S2. Says it all.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 4/10
Invisible unwanted brats in our world (/making bros via apples) + INEXPLICABLE 1950's gangster terrorism = WTFNO. 180 characterisation: complete LACK OF SUBSTANCE. White/black void ARSEPULL end. Penguin lulz + stalking = FUNI. Everything else, TERRIBAD.

----

The surrealism was blended with actual plot points since it had no plot beyond "FATE!", and the whole 'child broiler' / terrorism bollox made the series utterly stupid and a challenge to endure. Plus, it was so simplistic that, after Pink Hair waffled about people living in boxes, the leads had flashback talking in caged boxes. UGGGHHHH.

4/10 from me. Only the early stalking humour that grounded the background penguin lulz entertained. The rest was ****. The anime white/black void end was the cherry on the top.

And just in case someone links me to a symbolism essay relating to sodding apples, NO. Evangelion was x10 deeper than this, and that used Christianity for superficial coolness, FFS. This reminds me of when Death Note's author used apples because he likes apples...

Tiger & Bunny Movie 2: The Rising - 7/10
Ouroboros NOT MENTIONED & Lunatic had a CAMEO role! More 'Naruto movie' than sequel. COOL bits missing in TV series (/Black Guy's backstory) + more of Kotetsu's '1-min-man' arc, but a DISAPPOINTING "Thanks-Bye!" 'grand finale'. +1 ALL-ACTION end.

----

My Blu-ray ended with text on the screen saying, "Thanks, and thanks again! See ya." So, gonna go out on a limb and assume there will be no sequel. The title and lack of conclusion suggests otherwise but I guess it bombed after the pointless recap-filler that was The Beginning.

The film was highly enjoyable, some Black Guy WTF aside (tho it was nice they used the movie to explore his character), but it was like a Naruto movie: some things fans wanted added... and no actual progress/nothing of note occurring. Lunatic's cameo role as he failed to beat Kotetsu not powered up was especially YYYYYY.

Devil Survivor 2 - The Animation 7.5 / 10

This one was a bit of a weird experience for me. All through the first half of the show, I felt the plot and characters just weren't really connecting with me. Everything that was happening on screen was pretty, but it felt very much like I was watching a video game adaptation, and one that lacked all the charm and emotion of something like the Persona 4 animation, at that.

But then, something seemed to happen around the halfway mark and it just started clicking for me, and suddenly I was caring about the characters that were dying (and that happens a heck of a lot in this) and getting psyched up about the fight scenes. Episode 10 in particular really struck a chord with me, with a pretty spectacular finale helped along by some strong musical cues.

For me though, the thing that really shone about this show for me was the visuals. I've always liked the aesthetic of the SMT/Persona franchise, it always feels really smart and modern, very 'designed'. And I found the way it was conveyed here really lent itself to the apocalyptic scope of the story - everything is cast in this really ominous, depressing grey light - even when the characters are outside, it's like the sun is barely breaking through the clouds. So you have a show that's visually very 'dark' to look at, but then offset by these lovely flourishes of neon blue and yellow.

There's also some spectacular special effects work in the battle sequences - probably some of the best I've seen outside of Unlimited Blade Works. Kinda makes me wish I'd picked up the Blu-Ray for this instead! But yeah, mixed feelings overall, but I felt it came good in the end - and definitely worth checking out for the visuals, if anything.

Plus, it made me curious to dig out my old Manga Collection copy of Tokyo Revelation, for a more old-school taste of the franchise.

Space Dandy season 1

A rewatch just in time for the release of season 2 on blu ray. Very enjoyable show with a fantastic dub and a great trio of main characters.

A couple of sublime episodes (zombies, the alien girl and the groundhog day episode) with the rest being good or great other than two episodes which are just awful imo underpants vs vests and the booby monster episode.

Overall this is av treat of a show. Can't wait to watch the rest.

8/10

Barakamon

Since I've been away on my parents' boat since Sunday, with only my phone internet (so no streaming), I decided to tackle something from my "downloaded" backlog. I missed this show when it aired (probably because Funi streamed it...) but I'd heard people speak highly of it so I decided this would be the one to keep me occupied. For a show full of little kids (I hate kids IRL) I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and I enjoyed seeing Handa grow through the show. I'll definitely be buying the manga, and I hope there's a second season. 8/10

I can't post the entire reviews for these two because they are too long, so here are my scores and intro/final paragraph summaries to go together with my above recent(ish?) scores:

Akatsuki no Yona: 8/10

MANY males were no doubt put off by the reverse harem stigma the series unfortunately has (and many more reading his will be put off by my CUTE SQUIRREL obsession). This is because the focus of the series eventually becomes a quest to find four very shoujo-convenient male reincarnating dragon warriors that serve Yona's bloodline, as she attempts to survive and get justice against Su-won. But the 'harem' does not even fully form until the end of the series, and nearly half of the series simply has Yona with only Hak as her protector. This is not the sort of series that throws ten hairless pretty 'male' suitors at viewers from the get-go. Not at all. What is more, it is tasteful... aside from Hak deciding he likes fingers with honey on them and invading Yona's personal space occasionally, and only Hak/Su-won are treated as potential love interests. However, most people will be disappointed to learn that the future tease at the very beginning will have to wait for a second season, with the first season serving as a foundation for what SHOULD follow. On the plus side, Yona's growth into a mentally stronger, more independent heroine is handled so convincingly that I think a lot of people will come away satisfied... providing there is a sequel. Maybe.

The humour transforms what would have been bland into something else entirely; especially when paired with the anime's directional focus on its comedy aspect. What could have been an adventure of misery becomes one that should put a smile on even the coldest of squirrel hating faces, whilst retaining interest in where the political intrigue will eventually - hopefully - lead to; aided by an outstanding soundtrack that fits the series and its setting like a glove. The artwork consistency and squirrel activity convinced me the production was a labour of love for the staff and I am happy that the first manga Kusanagi has had animated was adapted with such care. In the author's earlier work, NG Life, she made a reincarnation tragedy about Pompeii's volcanic end into a romantic comedy that was equal parts tear-inducing and amusing. So, a medieval warfare epic that fills one's heart with warmth was a given, really. It has its flaws - chugging along pace-wise and not striking an ideal balance between death/funny - but I am just happy it is not another anime sequel that makes me want to beat my head against the nearest available wall--for that, I eagerly await season 2.

Parasyte: 5/10

There could not have been a more fitting end. Shinichi and Migi's dream in the final episode, along with the internal monologue life preaching that followed immediately after (consisting of HALF the sodding episode!), aptly summarised everything wrong with an anime that may as well have been titled 'Parasyte: Maximum Chatter Within'. It was telling that, with the chance to have AN ACTUAL CONVERSATION outside of Shinichi's head, instead the last exchange between the two characters played out internally. Migi said it was because he (genderless, but forever a bro) wanted Shinichi to forget. And I most certainly agreed with Migi's sentiment.

I do like some things. Not many, but some. Migi, for one. The brains AND personality of the series... in spite of being emotionless and machine-like by nature. Easily one of the most unique characters ever created and, despite not being human, more relatable than the rest of the the human cast combined. His intentionally unintentional deadpan "That would be a problem" moments of comedy gold are my favourite parts of the series, along with the bizarre grotesque broship bond he shares with Shinichi. And Parasyte does have an undeniably cool concept. There is something genuinely disturbing about a head turning into a mouth and eating people. Some of the music is uniquely excellent, also: 'hypnotik' being my favourite, if only for the previews. But the rest of the show?... the lack of a plot, or any kind of answers given by its tacked-on 'ending', were issues all those years ago. All the anime added is internal monologue emphasis emphasis suffering and... Aya Hirano as a talking hand. An uninspired adaptation of a manga lacking direction and without any closure does not satisfy me, and nor should it satisfy anyone else.

Also, here's a Space Dandy forum post:

Space Dandy: 5/10

It just wasn't anywhere near as funny as the writers seemed to think it was. Right at the start, with fourth wall breaking comments/the narrator, it set the bar sky high. Then it satisfied itself with mostly shallow episodic nonsense and.... boobies. Too many bad episodes mixed with a few good ones and no direction/style other than randomness for the sake of randomness. Even an episodic series needs an identity beyond 'daftness in space'.

Cowboy Bebop was funny because it was natural with its humour and had a strong, well-developed cast. The best comedies are those grounded in some form of realism that allow for relatability and make the more OTT-zany parts, such as the mushrooms/drugs in Bebop, truly funny because of the contrast. With Dandy being batshit from the get-go, it resulted in the only really good episode - for me - being ep5 since that attempted to do something with Dandy other than him be an idiot with two uninteresting support characters. The only comedy episode that amused me was the zombie one, maybe. But that was offset by ramen and plant NO.

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Wow, this one sure is wordy and heavy on the quotes. I'd imagine this is what an ancient Greek philosophy debate was like (well, maybe with slightly less guns, robots and cyborgs). It's kind of a scatter-shot of potentially meaningful sounding phrases in the hopes that some of them might stick.

Still, there's some good stuff here. I particularly liked the Batou/Togusa team, they had a believable relationship of slowly building trust and trying to get along after the "loss" of a good friend. It's also pretty clear that Batou is struggling to find a place for himself in a world that seems to be getting more and more alien to him. Does he figure things out by the end? I'm not entirely sure, I'd like to think so.

It was fairly enjoyable, although it could have done with less flowery language and it wouldn't have hurt if it was more focussed. To be honest, many of the best moments had either very little or no dialogue anyway (or at least were more direct). I think the character interactions between Batou, Togusa and the others were probably generally the strongest parts.

I've already started on the Stand Alone Complex TV series and it's looking like it'll be fun too.

By the way, is it worth watching Ghost in the Shell 2.0 at some point? As I understand it, it's the same as the original film but with new graphics that are maybe a bit outdated now (and possibly new audio too?).

Weirdly, GITS 2.0 was my first encounter with the film (I picked it up out of curiosity in HMV back in the day) - having now seen the original though, I'd say it's not really worth it. The CG probably looked good when it was new, but seems pretty dated now - think Final Fantasy Spirits Within. It's literally only in a handful of scenes anyway - and now we have the Blu-Ray transfer Manga released last year, it's best just sticking to that.

Lutga said:
Weirdly, GITS 2.0 was my first encounter with the film (I picked it up out of curiosity in HMV back in the day) - having now seen the original though, I'd say it's not really worth it. The CG probably looked good when it was new, but seems pretty dated now - think Final Fantasy Spirits Within. It's literally only in a handful of scenes anyway - and now we have the Blu-Ray transfer Manga released last year, it's best just sticking to that.
The Manga Blu-ray was the one I watched so that's fine, thanks. For some reason, I thought 2.0 would be the whole film redone rather than just certain parts.

Bunny Drop/Usagi Drop
Very enjoyable slice of life show this one. Although it tends towards being positive and heartwarming, it usually also felt realistic enough. There are some moments that are quite sad really but rather than getting bogged down it just keeps going.

I did really enjoy the "family" focus of the show. There are vague hints at possible romantic plots but those aren't really important to the story. In some ways, they may even be more realistic by being handled the way they are. It wouldn't make as much sense for the family issues to be set aside when everyone is still trying to adapt to the new situation. On the downside, the characters are so likeable that it would have been nice to see something developing but I think what we get is enough and anything more would likely have got in the way of the rest of the story.

I mentioned before that I've enjoyed episodes in other shows where characters are sick, Usagi Drop has two episodes where that is the case and they both have some really great moments. Even if it's just me, I think that's becoming a thing.

If I have one complaint, it's the resolution of Haruko's story. It's not exactly "bad" as such but I felt that it was kind of wrong for her to force herself back into a situation that would almost certainly cause her significant harm (at least mental and possibly physical). It's harder to say for sure without knowing all of the details but it didn't sound like something where just "bearing it" would be a decent solution and it clearly was a bad situation for Reina too (contrary to what Haruko seemed to believe, since Reina was keeping that a secret). There are almost certainly cultural issues at work there too so it's tough to say what the "right" thing is but I think I'd have preferred if she found the strength to leave that situation and find a better alternative (possibly with Daikichi's help, there's no reason she couldn't stay for some time) rather than having the "strength" to go back. Still, maybe that also ties into the "realism" of the story since different people will have different ideas about what is "best".

I've noticed a few people comment that the art style could put some viewers off, I'm not sure I've seen anyone say that it actually has put them off though. I personally liked it a lot.

Although there's not a definitive "ending" (though I'm not sure there could be really), I did feel satisfied at the end of the show. I wouldn't mind seeing more but I wouldn't say it's necessary either.

As for the manga, I might pick it up at some point. I do know about a few of the events and it does put me off slightly, having seen the characters and knowing how I'd like things to go. Still, the majority of the story is probably fine so I'm not sure it'd be worth missing out on that just because it doesn't go exactly the way I'd like in every area.

Anyway, at the end of the day it's a really good slice of life, family focussed story. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone that has an interest in that kind of thing (might even be worth trying if you don't, it could surprise you).

I really enjoyed the art style - it was nice to see something that varies things up a little from the norm.

I think in regards to Haruko's story, the way I took it anyway, was that because the show does strive so much toward realism, the point it's trying to make there is that sometimes there isn't a perfect black and white/right and wrong ending - sometimes we have to choke down a compromise, even if on the surface it hurts us. But yeah, I think there are definitely some cultural issues at play there too.

Lutga said:
I really enjoyed the art style - it was nice to see something that varies things up a little from the norm.

I think in regards to Haruko's story, the way I took it anyway, was that because the show does strive so much toward realism, the point it's trying to make there is that sometimes there isn't a perfect black and white/right and wrong ending - sometimes we have to choke down a compromise, even if on the surface it hurts us. But yeah, I think there are definitely some cultural issues at play there too.
I could certainly see that being what was intended and I think there was an aspect of it maybe not being best for Haruko but her thinking it was best for Reina (which is an important theme in the show). The problem with that being Reina is probably suffering more than Haruko realised. It's certainly a story I'd have liked to see re-visited, so that's another reason to consider trying the Manga to see if they do more with it.

Kaiba: Review (2008, TV, 12 Episodes)
jzyaONk.jpg
Memories are priceless. They collectively make up our perception of reality; from our past to our future they shape our view of the world, those around us as well as our self. And even so, our memories are fragile with each person’s being different and we interpret them in different ways each and every time we jump back and forth between them, reconstructing and refining them. This is intrinsic to the way in which our brains work and thus relying on our memories alone for a definitive truth is difficult, as memories by their very nature are subjective and ever evolving. We re-experience those events each and every time we recollect them.

Memories are powerful and memories make up what we know as our identity. They personify our past and give our lives a narrative, like a film or a book. This is what makes each and every one of the seven billion people on the blue planet we call earth, unique. What makes our memories so fascinating is the gentle balance between the chemical reactions and synaptic transmissions in our brain and our romanticized view of what we like to call imagination. Our memories by definition are flawed, skewed in a way that may benefit ourselves, sometimes blocking out certain fragments that we wish to forget, or to focus on the events that we wish to remember. Our childhood, our family, our home, our friends, the first time you rode a bike, your first love, we all harbor such memories within ourselves, each time that little bit different shaping and changing our view of our selves.

Nostalgia, the desire to rewind and pause time, to go back to a place that we remember fondly, but as I stated above those memories themselves have been altered and changed to a degree that what we remember may not actually represent reality, and yet we yearn to go back. Maybe it’s the feelings attached to nostalgia that we actually thrive on instead of the notion of actually going back in time itself. Change is scary, and yet it is inevitable. Everything changes including the world around us, often making us feel as if we do not belong anymore. The past is always more desirable, and yet today will one day become the past we too crave. Maybe it’s the fact that we look back with new eyes and from a different viewpoint that makes looking back so satisfying.

Humans have always had a desire to find the truth, to gain and share our experiences, but in the end there’s no one truth, just many different ideas and facts that can be reinterpreted again and again. But that’s the point, the fixation with finding a defined truth is not the important part, it’s the journey that we are attracted to.

It is this theme that brings us to Kaiba, a 2008 animated series directed by Masaaki Yuasa, the man behind series such as Ping Pong and The Tatami Galaxy among many other striking series and films and like the aforementioned series, Kaiba is a short series capping off at 12 episodes. Prior to Kaiba I had not seen any of Yuasa’s other series but it goes without saying that I was nevertheless very aware of his talents and merits. Being a show that centers on the theme of memories, Kaiba can without a doubt come across as strange at times, dreamlike in its structure, it flows like a lucid dream. Nothing is what it seems as the main character jumps from body to body, from place to place.

In the world of Kaiba, memories can be preserved and transferred from body to body so in this sense, the death of the body is not the death of the person. People work in order to afford the perfect body, but still retain their memories. Kaiba delves into the idea of the marriage between our physical being, our memories and the importance of identity. The things that we lock up, our experiences, our memories are what make us who we are.

Kaiba follows an episodic structure with each episode telling a different story, but each episode is still tied together and as the series progresses it becomes more focused until it reaches its conclusion. I generally have no qualms with either approach, being a big fan of episodic series and as such I found myself enjoying the first half of the series more although it too wasn’t without its faults. The stories themselves are great and highly fascinating and it’s abundantly clear that a lot of thought and consideration has gone into the research and preparation for Kaiba. What didn’t work for me however is the juxtaposition of the somber, sad tone of this dystopian world and the more flamboyant scenes that try to dabble in both comedy and spectacle which can get in the way of it all, like oil and water they don’t mix here, almost like telling a joke at a funeral I find myself awkwardly sitting there wishing to move on. Am I supposed to laugh or cry as a once sad scene unceremoniously jumps into a comedic one that hits you with its punchy and vibrant visuals?

One of the first things that stood out from this series is the beautiful visuals. Kaiba is without a doubt a fantastic looking series with inspired character designs by Nobutake Ito who also did the character designs for The Tatami Galaxy. The visuals pop and come to life with each and every frame. Kaiba is a series that is reliant on its characters so it’s a good thing that the designs are as vibrant, varied and as interesting as they are.

Kaiba is covered with many little details that make up the world and ultimately it’s these intricate little details that add life to this world. The world building is done through its visuals and many things are never said outright but instead shown and I appreciated this. The world itself is beautifully animated with personality oozing from each and every frame. I’d say that the character designs and visuals may remind one of something that you’d see in a Tezuka production, which is to say charming, full of life and pleasing to the eyes.

The music in Kaiba is also pleasant and does its job, a few tracks got my mind racing and blood pumping however I'd say that the music is a week link here, with none of the pieces being memorable and a few tracks feeling out of place. The soundtrack is composed by Kiyoshi Yoshida (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time). To continue the theme of audio, the voice acting is perfect and I have no qualms in that department. Each line is delivered with conviction and the voice actors really sell each and every line and deliver the emotional punches needed in quick succession. While I’m on the subject, the OP is great and makes for an appropriate introduction to each and every episode, with a catchy song and beautiful visuals that represent the quality of the series perfectly while the ED bookends each episode nicely and allows for you to soak all of the events in.

Even though I have many qualms with Kaiba, from the pacing to the comedy, I still would like to express my happiness that such a series was able to come to fruition in a world of copycat clones full of uninspired stories, dull characters and art that lacks any conviction, lacking any attempt by the creators to push the boundaries and test the audience, instead opting to give everyone what they want in order to appeal for the lowest common denominator. Kaiba is without a doubt a passion project, one that has successfully found an audience that it speaks to, and that makes me happy. So even though I didn’t enjoy Kaiba as much as I expected, as much as that pains me to say, the fact that it found love elsewhere has me at ease.

I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed many aspects of this series, however the theatrics and the mishmash of scenes and emotions ended up being too much for me. Before picking up Kaiba I desperately wanted it to be the next big thing which is why it might have ultimately fallen short with such big shoes to fill. A few of the episodes are outstanding, hitting me just where it needed to while other episodes are littered with great ideas here and there but ultimately those seeds fail to bloom into anything other than promise. And thus Kaiba was a disappointment for me. Many moments took me out of my otherwise meditative state that the show had me in. In the end I still enjoyed Kaiba, but not as much as I expected to, but maybe one day my memories of this show will become fonder.

Memories are powerful and memories make up what we know as our identity and reality which is why we should cherish them, even if they aren’t exactly what we expected.

7/10.

Kotoura-san
Myself and the other half decided to watch this over the past couple of weeks and i have to say it's been a fairly enjoyable series, but not without it's issues. It also has the most misleading lead-up into a comedy series i've ever watched. I had to double-take about 10 minutes into the first episode to make sure i was actually watching a comedy. But when it did kick in, it had it's hilarious moments. A lot of the reactions and way things where said really clicked with me. It did get a little samey going forward however, but it didn't get too tired. The biggest issue with the series really came into play when we reached the final episodes, where things felt rushed and a little too unnatural(if you ignore the fact it's about a girl who can read minds, of course). Some of the ways that things got resolved just left me scratching my head. "can they justify a solution that quick?" i guess it's an issue i see fairly often when it comes to series taken from manga that where at the time, still ongoing.

Regardless however, it's a very funny show and has a decent pace throughout. It's just marred by it's attempts to close things off, and i dare say the occasional point where they try to add humour to serious points in the story. It's not always necessary to add humour, even in a comedy show.

Oh, i should do a rating i guess? I hate those things. 7? 7/10 should do

I really liked the first episode of Kotoura san. It juxtaposed well with the rest of the series. I gave the series a 7 myself though I couldn't tell you why, it was ages ago. That show is pretty nostalgic for me, it was the first anime I watched that was subtitled. I still absolutely adore the design of Kotoura herself, easily one of the cutest anime character I've seen. I just love her hair. The OP is really catchy too.

Back