Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Vampire Wars
2/10
Wow.....Just wow! This was one of the worst animes I've ever seen. Almost as bad as First Squad! The story made no sense and it was too short for me to give two s***s about what was going on! No wonder why it was 1p!!!!

Ill admit the animation was a big improvement over Psychic Wars, And the violence was entertaining. Plus the dialouge was so stupid to the point it was funny.

I love Toei Animation, but by god they do produce some crap!!!

Those who hunt elves

First off

Its aged like slayers you know how old it is but I can forgive that.
I liked the comedy in it it was fun to watch but the main characters are *******. They get drag in another world thanks to an elve and they try to get back home but the spell that's suppose to send them back backfires and they have to find these magic fragments that are on elves body's and so they go forth to strip all of them to find the fragments, I'm a fanservies fan and watching something like this is awesome but I have a problem with it,

They go around stripping elves and embaress them why couldnt the creator of this show have a reason to strip them like if you want the fragments you have to strip them and the elves will he embarrassed and the fragments will show when they embarrassed. Why couldn't they go hey can we examan your body or is there any magic fragments on you but no they strip them, this is the problem they didn't have to strip them they could of asked but nope they said sorry I'm stripping you. The first half was better and the second half you don't see that much elve

It's a fun series to watch and I enjoyed it and Il be watching it
again

8.5/10

House of the Five Leaves

The most initially striking thing about this 12 ep series is definitely it's idiosyncratic character designs, all angular, pointy, often emaciated looking, with large mouths and ghoulish eyes. I appreciate it. I'm not sure I can call them particularly beautiful, but there's a ghostly charm to them certainly. It's nice to see this in an anime industry with a million and one copy and paste cookie cutter designs.

The story itself also dares to be different to the usual samurai action fest, and takes the route of a slow burning character drama, relying on intrigue to keep us hooked. The show does pretty well with only 12 eps, I was kept guessing just long enough, and felt that the slow revelation of who Yaichi is was handled quite well. However, one of my biggest problems with the show was Yaichi himself. Admittedly, I wanted to find out about him, but he was still just so lacking of the charm the writer presumably thought he imbued him with, he just came across as a archetypal aloof anime twit to me. What's worse is that he hardly get's any more sympathetic after we learn his past, in fact he actually comes across as an even bigger self centred dick, but I'll go into more of this in a spoilery section below. So for me it's a bit of a shame that the whole show revolves around this character.

Masa, the show's protagonist is a bit more likeable. He's skilled but has a flawed personality, he's not too overly angsty and moany though, mostly he just seems to want to improve himself and help those around him. However, his admiration and infatuation with Yaichi (much of the show is essentially a romance between the two) seems to be completely misguided, I mean, what are these qualities he seems to admire in Yaichi, his archetypal anime aloofery? Masa's excessively meek personality does grate at times too, for example when Masa is duped by Yaichi and gang into unknowingly aiding the kidnap of a young child he has befriended. I was at least expecting a half hearted protest from Masa when he found out, but he can't even give us that! He just mopes along after Yaichi as he does far too often for my liking. The rest of the cast are fairly good too, even if they are quite typical. Though, for some reason Otake's character seems to get less exploration than the rest (nor are we really clued in as to what role she even plays in the gang, as she is mostly just seen sitting around drinking sake), and Yagi adds less to the plot than I was hoping he would, given the obvious potential of his character.

It's a good show, and one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to a fan of historically set character driven shows, but for me it fell short of great.

6/10

My problems with Yaichi are not just that he's a charmless kidnapper who appears to have the help of the others simply due to fact that they are "indebted" to him. But also that he's evidently a murderous bastard who has no gratitude towards the gang (his "sworn brothers") that spared his life and even took him in as one of their own. we're not shown anything to make us feel especially unsympathetic towards his old gang, nor are shown how or why Sei transitioned from a young boy to a ruthless albino sociopath. Not only this, but the gang member who comes to kill him at the end of the series seems entirely more respectable than Yaichi (presumably this is why the Elder feeds and shelters him?), and I was disappointed that Yaichi got the better of him at the end. But okay fair enough, that's his past done and dusted, he's also found the kidnapped boy whose like him and who he was supposedly doing it all find, in an attempt to come to terms with his emotional scars, right? Oh wait, no, sorry, he still want's to carry on kidnapping... :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
moonphase

ok il say i like this i like the cuteness and the light dark elements i was expecting something different to what iv seen but it was good all the cutey stuff was ............. well cute and the story very likeable but the last episode was way to silly and i like the running gag of things falling on gthe characters

8/10

papillon rose

ok the 6 episodes was cheesy and the series takes references from sailor moon and cutey honey and its a sentai with unmasked heroes that would make superman disguise look more like a disguise lol but i guess it was ok but the ovas makes them look like sluts which isn't kool at all

7/10

vashdaman said:
House of the Five Leaves 6/10

Yeah, I had much the same experience with Five Leaves. I liked it well enough to watch a handful of episodes when it came out, but evidently I didn't like it enough to bother finishing it.

If you like the art though, it might be worth having a look at Ristorante Paradiso, which was by the same author and has very much the same style. It is, however, a contemporary romantic drama about people working in a restaurant, so I fear there may be substantially less swordfighting...

Madoka Magica - 8/10
It was good, but i think the art style wasn't for me.
I felt like something was missing, but i can't think what. :3

Gaogaigar

Defiantly a fun show and it gets bigger and bigger and I can tell loads of shows got it's ideas from this show-

I could see a bit of gurren largann, transformers, power ranger, ect in this all packed in to one and again.

In a kids eyes a hero would consider how the world works......... Going to save the world with out telling where you are, how a corporation that save humanity acts old men acting like kids lol

The first seasons in English and the second is Japanese I don't know why they didn't dub it I think it was loads of fun to watch but but it was a pain in the ass to watch the subs while trying to watch the anime.

Like I said it has power ranger gurren largann transformers mixed in so if your in to those shows have a look.

There a few things that kinda pisses me off tho in nearly every ep theres always something that pops up conveniently that always helps out in the end like new gadgets allies ect and I'm like * oh wow who knew they had that to help them out lol*

Besides that it's a good series and yeah there's alot of gurren largann in the second half

8.5/10

It feels like ages since I finished a show, so I'm gonna attempt to dredge up the last one from memory, a thoroughly unremarkable show by the name of...

My Otome - 5/10 & Zwei - 5/10

I assume My-Otome was made at the ****-end of the maid boom anime had a good few years back now. There can't be any other reason why super-powered schoolgirls are forced into the most hideous maid outfits.

Arika is a spunky, simple-minded 14 year-old girl who wants to become an Otome - normal girls infused with nanomachines and equipped with gems that transform them into magical girls. Uh huh. After graduating from magical girl academy they are paired off with a King or Queen of some nation or other and are bound to defend it, even fighting another Otome should the need arise.

Oh, and they lose their powers if they end up with male DNA inside them, which gives the writers a convenient excuse to play up the "guess the lesbian" angle. I may as well also mention that this show features a love triangle between a man in his late 20s, his 15-year old adoptive daughter, and another 14/15 year-old girl. Too creepy, Sunrise.

That's about all I can remember of My-Otome. It takes forever for anything to happen, the first 15 or 16 episodes consisting mainly of fanservice fluff, and when **** does finally hit the rotating blades it's typically melodramatic and retarded with plot twists aplenty. I can't say I wasn't entertained, though, and seeing as I finished the show there must've been something worthwhile in there.

Zwei is the OVA sequel and ups the fanservice quotient some, finally delivering some much-coveted nippleservice - but far too little and too late to redeem everything I had to suffer through until that point.

Urotsukidōji
Jesus f*****g christ! Im completely speechless! I've never seen anything like this! Ever! This was so messed up! It is by far the most f****d thing i've seen ever!........And i thought it was fantastic!

Legend of the Overfiend
9/10
I was absolutely gob smaked whiled watching this. Its got sex, gore, action and bad dubbing! Reminds me when i first got into anime, which is the reason why i liked it so much. It made me feel really nostalgic and reminded me as to why i got into anime in the first place. The animation and action scenes were absolutly amazing!

Urotsukidōji II: Legend of the Demon Womb
4/10
wtf? This was awful! The animation wasnt as good, there wasnt as much action and worst of all: It wasnt a continuation to Legend of the Overfiend!!! What the hell! If anyone can tell me if there is a continuation to Legend of the overfiend can you PLEASE reply to this! I would be greatful!

Overall, If you are looking for something other than "KAIWAI DESUUU" or emo-ish characters wanting revenge, than check this out ASAP!!!

It's been a while since I've watched Urotsukidoji but I know there's some debate over whether the second OVA (Demon Womb) could have taken place at some point during the first OVA (Overfiend), or whether it's best viewed as an "alternate universe" story.

The third OVA series, known as Return of the Overfiend, continues the story by taking characters and plot threads from both previous OVAs, but by then the budget had fallen away and it just wasn't very good.

Along with Violence Jack, the uncut version of Urotsukidoji is probably the anime I find hardest to watch because of how relentlessly cruel it can be. That it's such an ambitious story and the production values are so good (at least for the first OVA) lends it a certain gravitas you just don't get with other adult anime, and for those reasons I have to respect it even if I don't like it very much.

Urotsukidoji is awesome but i didn't get the new saga Urotsukidoji felt like it was focusing on the story more.

Violence Jack is another awesome series it has sex and stuff like that but isn't a hentai which is awesome

oh the old classics are awesome

Maken-Ki

Certainly the most Delicious show of the shows I've watched This show greatly falls in to the camp of: "being fun to watch with not much more to say about it", "not a masterpiece but again the show was never intending to be" and "it's one of those where your brain/common sense should be switched to a very low setting". The show itself was at times anti-climactic and sometimes not very interesting to watch but there were decent moments...But to be honest there's certainly a whole lot more to see here other than the story, let's just say for this I liked the character design (Himegami was my favourite character, just saying), maybe less so for the main male character who let's just say closely resembles a well-known character from a certain show which is set in the country which I come from. Censorship of course was a hindrance, but then again there's always the JPN BD/DVD's or the eventual Funimation release (probably unlikely though!). But a season 2...Something tells me that won't be happening anytime soon!

6/10

Chihayafuru

Now a show which will have a second season. Chihayafuru's main selling point can also be a hindrance as the show has too much Karuta at times. The show mainly focuses on a rotation of Training and Tournaments based around Karuta with a small underlying romance plot at times which I felt was a little undervalued and underused I wish more of this was shown (another season though) The matches were quite a spectacle to watch though especially with the fact how intense some of them got, the show looks gorgeous with it's Shoujo artstyle coming courtesy of Madhouse. Enjoyed the show quite a bit but based on my ranking system I can only really give it 6, but a second season could change this score.

6/10

I'll clean these up later...I'm in a rush to go somewhere!

sanji no 1 and fabricatedlunatic said:
Urotsukidōji

There's a pretty comprehensive summary of the entire Urotsukidoji series in Helen McCarthy's book on erotic anime, but, having read that, I don't feel any great desire to go and watch it.

As fabric said, I do respect what Maeda tried to do. There was clearly a very grand vision of the apocalypse behind all the violence and rape, but I don't mind admitting that it's beyond the level of what I'd be comfortable with watching.

Perhaps reading about it is even worse than watching it in some way, as the more horrible sections are left entirely to your imagination, but I am at least glad to have experienced it in some fashion. It made me far less dismissive of 'top-shelf' anime in general, and I'm certainly now open to the idea of such things having artistic value beyond sheer exploitation.

Much as I like Go Nagai though, I don't much fancy Violence Jack either. Although the dub definitely has some comedy value and the theme tune is pretty good too.

Y'know, it's really interesting reading how diverse different people's reactions to things are. Even reading the Kino's Journey thread (which I've failed miserably to contribute to) I'm struck by how affected some are by what they're watching. My heart isn't entirely black - I cry at the end of Gunbuster and Only Yesterday every time and found certain episodes of Kurau, Haibane Renmei and even Fullmetal Alchemist pretty heartbreaking... Yet I could happily munch popcorn through Overfiend and Violence Jack.

mangaman74 said:
animefreak17 said:
i wounder why we dont have a Rate the last manga you read out of 10

We do have one in the manga section. It is called 'The Volume Rating Thread'

oh really i didn't know.

im going to have my hands full after iv finished lucky star cause i have 3 series to rate

ayase said:
Y'know, it's really interesting reading how diverse different people's reactions to things are. Even reading the Kino's Journey thread (which I've failed miserably to contribute to) I'm struck by how affected some are by what they're watching. My heart isn't entirely black - I cry at the end of Gunbuster and Only Yesterday every time and found certain episodes of Kurau, Haibane Renmei and even Fullmetal Alchemist pretty heartbreaking... Yet I could happily munch popcorn through Overfiend and Violence Jack.

Mm, interesting indeed. I mean I know so many people cried at Toy Story 3 and I've been a fan since the first, but I was 100% cold through it =P Whereas Millennium Actress' ending really affected me.

kiddy grade

ummm its starts slow and it has that element of they try and make friends along the way sort of thing and it had a interesting characters and the stories not bad but the main problem with this is that the main character has a past that looks interesting and mysterious but all i got was hints of what her past was all about, we dont get to see what her past was like and theres a few things unexplained and i felt confused about a few things but i guess it wasn't all that bad and the main character looks like meg from bust angels, i guess it wasn't bad and if i for got what happens in it il watch it again

7.5/10

air gear

it kicks ass in some parts and in some parts theres fanservice and in some parts theres a girl who likes a guy who doesn't seem to notice, this series reminds me of another show bayblade but with roller blades if this series went on id totally watch it and yeah i know theres a manga continuing the story but i really wish the anime continued my least favourite characters ringo she gets on my nerves badly and ikkis the bad ass along with agito. to bad the ova wasn't with it otherwise it would be complete, theres a few things i liked and a few things i hated but all in all its a ok series

7.5/10

lucky star

one of my favourite animes ever its funny it has a healing factor and it has everything i like yukatas the cutest character ever, in this series they talk about random stuff which would be boring but this series makes funnies about them i get the impression that the life style is like the lifes of these 4 girls are like the majority of japan lol kagami works off konata and visa versa which is funny these two make the show there just funny together, the otaku and the responsible one its just funny, i really love this show i really do and it deserves a

9.5/10

Back