Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

K-On! (Series 1)

Having finally seen all of the first series, the anime seems to be faithful to the manga (at least to the voulmes it goes up to). I liked the manga so it was obvious I was going to like the anime as well due to its faithfulness. The music was enjoyable as well. However, it was not as funny as other anime that I have seen.

Score: 9 / 10

The Eureka Seven movie with the crap title

I'm so glad i didnt buy this movie because holy crap was it awful. having watched about half of the series and generally enjoyed it i was expecting at least decent storytelling but f*** me it was crap. the occasional burst of cool action couldn't save this travesty. Also the constant lovey dovey between renton and eureka seriously made me consider slitting my wrists.

2/10 because the action was at least competent.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Twas cool till it got all steven moffat on me with the time travel. still enjoyed the hell out of it though it was a tad long.

8.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
ghost stories

the hole series in english dub O_O OMG there was everything to washed celebritys to racist jokes to dirty talk to pop-culture to insensitive talk about nealy everything. the english dubs like it was done by american high school students that was taking the piss out of it.the boxset says best dub 2006 i say otherwise, the dub makes robotech look perfect that how bad it was.

buy other then that the subtitles was as it was attended it to be, the series its self was really good the character were average but the ghosts was interesting, each episode had a new ghost so it was fresh each time. its not has good as ghost hunt but for ghost anime fans its a yes. if you watch it in english dub you have me sympathies but watch it in sub its a good series.

not including *the english dub* 8/10

Ocean Waves

Not the best Ghibli film I've seen. I think however it may be something to do with the fact that it is very different from most of their output. There are almost no young children in it. The main characters are teenagers. While you could fit it in the same mold as "Whisper of the Heart", it does lack the more whimsical feeling the other Ghibli films have. On the plus side, it is one of the shortest Ghibli films, so it is a short blast if you don't have time for a longer film.

Score 6 / 10

edan of the east

im at confusion with this series i mean i know the basic idea what its about but im having trouble understanding it i know he uses a phone to get what ever he wants and the reasons behind it sort of but im having trouble understanding what the *neets* are and other things and the conspiracys

its a really good series and kinda unique in its own way and it keeps the funny anime stuff as well as keeping it a good story.

im going to have to rewatch the series to fully understand it but i still enjoyed it. it kinda makes you wounder if conspiracys in this series makes you think of conspiracys in reality.

il rewatch it somewhere in the future.

9/10

if i rewatch it i might change my rate on it to fully understand the series.

eden of the east series and movies

as a hole the series is really really good, at first i thought it was going to go my hime on me * crush the others to win thing* but it didn't, it stuck to the story and the movies was like long episodes. i feel this series was trying to give us a message and if you watch it you'll know what im talking about.

it was short but sweet, cheery and a awesome story. its unique, its fun and has a few mysteries.

animation 9/10
music 8/10
characters 8.5/10
story 9.8/10

its worth a

9.5/10

eden of the east series 8/10

Honestly, this show sucked until episode 7/8. Then someone turned on the ferrari and everything happened so fast after that and in a good way.

I have to admin i've struggled to see the entire show cause i was about to quit after every episode. Still i saw everyone talking good about it and the reviews the same. In the end, I did like the last episodes but werent good enough to compensate how boring the beginning was. Im gonna see the movies and hope it will be better.

I know there are people who truly love the show so dont take me wrong but its my opinion. Its not my kind of anime but it was fine.

I gave an 8 just because of the end otherwise it would be lower.

Love Hina (+ Christmas, Spring, Again specials).

So MVM's deal of the week last week was Ken Akamatsu's critically acclaimed Love Hina; a series I had heard so much about in the past but never actually watched. I may know that Ken Akamatsu is mostly known for Love Hina and Negima, but the only title of his that I've actually seen was Always my Santa, which was released a few years back. Those of you hear are probably bored of me ranting that whenever there's a Deal of the Week that I want, that my money is more often than not in my Mum's hands...so this was one I had to snap up. So anyways, now that the prologue paragraph is over, let's get down to it:

I've had an obsession with romantic comedies as of late (Toradora! being my favourite manga right now; also, the fact that the Premium Edition releases of it are not out of print being a source of annoyance for me) and I have to say, Love Hina has definitely stuck out.

I will say this though - for a series about a guy who ends up being surrounded by numerous girls; Keitaro fits the bill (but given the age of this series, I can easily let it slide - after all, Love Hina is infamously known as being one of the first series' to be available as a digital fansub). I guess that's the problem with a young guy like me watching an older show (When the series was airing in Japan, I was 8 years old - yet I'm 20 on Thursday): I've seen so many shows with a similar genre or set-up since.

Still, this series has one thing that a lot of recent shows (except a few, like Toradora!) has: the main couple actually have personalities and serious development. Naru may not be my personal choice for a potential girlfriend (considering how she seems to love punching Keitaro xD). Sometimes I have had to wonder though - is it being drawn out for the sake of being drawn out, or is Keitaro really that stupid at times? Naru's reluctance to admit her feelings about Keitaro is cute at first, but as you get to the end of the series (particularly in the OVAs), it can get rather annoying. Sometimes I want to just give them two a kick up the backside (Good thing that in Again Kanako does just that). One thing I did find really cute though, was how the two first really started to come together - coincidentally ending up on a trip in the same place together and spending a day in the other's company without knowing who they really were until the very end.

Now, with any show like this, you have to talk about the supporting cast. First off, I'll talk about Kaolla Su. I had to laugh and go "Oh, Japan!" when I saw her in the opening theme eating a banana and how her apartment looks like a jungle. She also kept on reminding me of Ed from Cowboy Bebop (Taking a gander, Cowboy Bebop came a few months before the Love Hina manga started). I found the series getting interesting (but also weird) when her older sister was introduced, as well as the whole thing where she transforms into an older version of herself under the red moon.

I group Shinobu and Sarah together as aside from the episode where they're introduced, they don't seem to do much at all. Shinobu is cute (in the "d'awww!" sense, not the "fap fap fap" sense) and her role really seems to be a way of voicing questions that the older, but just as inexperienced cast are too embarrassed to ask. Sarah though? Well, she smashes some vases and then becomes a background character and an excuse for Seta to appear.

Motoko's role at first mainly consists of getting annoyed and yelling attack names. She does however, receive some nice development later on (particularly in the unaired episode 25; which can be found as an Extra on the Christmas OVA disc). For the majority of the series she appears to me as being rather one dimensional, but then there are episodes which give her a lot of depth (which is probably a problem with the "balancing act" I'll mention a bit later on).

My favourite resident of the Hinata Apartments though, has to be Mitsune (also known as Kitsune). Her character is such a unique mixture of things - she likes to drink and she does like making money (and spending that which isn't hers) and likes to create a bit of chaos for the sheer purpose of keeping things lively but she also has a deep moral side when it comes to love. I'm not sure what it is that has drawn me to Mitsune; probably the fact that she's probably the most complicated character in the series.

I was honestly quiet surprised to see Mutsumi gain a larger role towards the series' end; serving as the obstacle between Keitaro and Naru. While she may be attractive, I just can't warm up to her due to her weird moral compass (even Mitsune won't go near a guy she knows someone else likes; whereas Mutsumi would go in purely for herself - the wikipedia article on Love Hina characters says that she always puts the happiness of others over her own, but I really can't see how...perhaps it's something that was shown in the manga but not in the anime).

And then we have Kanako, who is really weird. Sure, she and Keitaro aren't blood related...but seriously?!

One thing I do like about this series though, is that I'm used to having girls fall for harem leads for no reason at all. At least in this case, Keitaro does something to positively affect Shinobu, Motoko and Naru that would make such affections understandable.

Anyways, earlier on I mentioned a "Balancing Act". I've noticed that this series doesn't seem to be able to decide if it wants to be really down to Earth, or completely crazy - I've noticed that the really crazy episodes seem to follow the more serious ones (for example, the Spring special comes after the Christmas special. I'd bring up episode numbers too, but I wasn't taking notes of particular numbers xD). There were some things, like the mechanical turtles that I could find hilarious, while others (like the whole deal with that building in Love Hina Again) that I just found ridiculous - keep the seriousness and the silliness separate.

I may complain about how the series jumps from light to deep, but that's only when the two collide. The light-hearted episodes are thoroughly enjoyable, while the deeper episodes are real seat-gripping stuff. I was in hysterics with the absolute hilarity of the Turtle tribe, whereas I was biting my nails with nervousness during the Christmas special. The fact that this series can bring both extremes out of a viewer is fantastic. One thing I really loved was how Ken Akamatsu himself would appear to help some of the characters out (particularly during the two seasonal specials).

In regards to my favourite moments of the series - the Christmas special is a must watch; it is truly breathtaking. I personally would not have minded if the series had ended there (just swap the order of the Tokyo University stuff with it and the Spring special). As much as I enjoyed Love Hina Again, it didn't really have the weight to end the series like I felt the Christmas special had.

Now, what's a review without poking at some bad points? Well, when I watched the series I watched the English dub...Mitsune and Koalla's voices are hilariously bad (although as the show goes on, it becomes one of its charms...I guess?).

Overall, I feel that this is a really good series; I just wish the supporting cast were fleshed out more.

8.5/10

For those of you who purchased the "Complete Series + Spring and Christmas Specials", you might be wondering how to obtain "Love Hina Again" right? Well, I made the mistake of getting the Specials Collection (About £13) from Play.com, which also includes the Spring and Christmas specials before realising that United Publications sell Love Hina Again separately for £9.

Based on your feedback above, and your comments on the silliness, it sounds like you don't really believe that 'Love Hina Again' is worth picking up, if you don't already have it.
If the Chistmas/Spring specials are far better endings to the series, I think I'll stick to those for my watch! Hopefully I won't watch them in the wrong order :D

alexrose1uk said:
Based on your feedback above, and your comments on the silliness, it sounds like you don't really believe that 'Love Hina Again' is worth picking up, if you don't already have it.
If the Chistmas/Spring specials are far better endings to the series, I think I'll stick to those for my watch! Hopefully I won't watch them in the wrong order :D
Even in the boxset, the Christmas and Spring specials are in the wrong order. I corrected that myself for when I get around to rewatching the series.

In regards to Love Hina Again, it's a tricky one. Hell, I'm not even sure why it was excluded out of the main boxset, while the other two specials weren't (license expired maybe? *shrugs*). Episode 2 is a lot more fanservice heavy than the main series (which is actually relatively tame). It's such a shame that pretty much all of the fanservice (save for some groping at the beginning of episode 1) revolves around Kanako trying to lure Keitaro...which despite them having no blood relation, I still find a bit unsettling (she'd sit in his room and sniff his clothes!).

With the silliness, I wouldn't have minded it if not for the final episode revolving around a house that's for some reason magical. Besides, the whole "A new promise girl appears!" thing kinda happened in the end of the main series anyway.

I personally enjoyed the episodes, but I felt that the silliness in the final episode distracted a lot from the story and kinda lessened the impact of the end (well, I am a sentimental git xD). Although if you're a completest or like me and couldn't live without seeing Naru and Keitaro finally kissing then you'll want to buy it xD

For £10 though, even if you buy it and don't like it, it should hit the bank too hard.

What is the correct order with the Specials, Christmas then Spring?

I'm not planning to watch my set yet, as I'm going to have a big drama season with a Toradora! rewatch (last time I did it was via less legitimate versions whereas this time I can finally open and savour my NISA Premium versions) and a few other series I've had in the wings for a while, but it'd be good to get it right. I am indeed a sentimental git, even if I don't like admitting it in person, so perhaps I'll rethink about it at a later date :)

On the subject of Kanoko...I guess you've never seen the KissXSis TV series then :D

The Tatami Galaxy 8/10

That was quite a turnaround. The Tatami Galaxy is story of a nameless university student seeking a "rose-coloured campus life", and when he joins a circle and later meets a beautiful girl a year younger than him, he thinks he may have found it. But somehow he gets roped he into time-wasting ventures thanks to his mishiveous friend, and ends up spending two years going nowhere. And so he goes back in time, chooses a different circle, meets the beautiful girl under different circumstances... and makes the same mistakes all over again. Rinse, repeat.

While the first five episodes largely failed to draw me in, the three-episode arc beginning at episode 6 mixed things up a bit and finally got me interested. The last three episodes are excellent, and end the series on a much more positive note than that on which it began.

The Tatami Galaxy seems to be pushing the message that seizing opportunities that are right in front of you is more important than fixating on what's far ahead (or worse, allowing oneself to simply drift). Having neither near nor distant opportunities I find it somewhat hard to relate, but nonetheless it was satisfying to see how it all came together at the end.

Early on I found the experimental visuals a barrier to my enjoyment, but as the series went on it became less of an issue. I suppose you could say I appreciate the style more than I like it.

alexrose1uk said:
What is the correct order with the Specials, Christmas then Spring?

I'm not planning to watch my set yet, as I'm going to have a big drama season with a Toradora! rewatch (last time I did it was via less legitimate versions whereas this time I can finally open and savour my NISA Premium versions) and a few other series I've had in the wings for a while, but it'd be good to get it right. I am indeed a sentimental git, even if I don't like admitting it in person, so perhaps I'll rethink about it at a later date :)

On the subject of Kanoko...I guess you've never seen the KissXSis TV series then :D

It goes Christmas > Spring > Again

I wish I had gotten into Toradora earlier...the volume 1 premium edition is out of print, but I can still get volume 2...don't know whether to buy them both regular, or get volume 2 as premium (but volume 1 as a regular) now...

and nah, I haven't seen KissXSis yet.

Cheers for confirming.
The premium edition is a rather nice boxed entity, so if it doesn't cost much more and you're planning to buy, I'd say go for it. Unlike some I've seen, whilst not as extravagant as some of the Japanese releases, it's definately a nice western release, and probably the nicest I have.

Comes in a Big Card case similar size to an A4 and other nicknacks. I've had to sit them on top of my shelving as they don't fit in the DVD rack :)

I look forward to seeing your comments when/if you get round to giving KissXSis a watch (I might be getting a few shows mixed up, but I do remember it making me laugh, the teacher especially)

Robotech: The Masters Saga

I think the second series is better than the first. The animation is crisper, and I like the character of Dana. Again, the dialogue was not the greatest, but this series has always seemed to have problems.

Score: 6 / 10

genshiken

i really like this series cause its like showing how the other side do things, e.g. otaku are the main focused of the series and another person named Saki that hates otakuand though out the series it shows what otaku do and a lil of what non otaku dose,

im glad i cam across this series, all it is is about a group of friends and otaku lifestyle.

its funny
its Comical
it gives you a lesson on otaku lifestyle
and i now know what word mean what.

9/10

Baki the Grappler season 1
9.5/10
Havnt seen an action packed and fun series like this since Ninja Scroll the series. Its a great show with epic characters, epic fight scenes and a great show of the importance of friendship.

BAKI THE GRAPPLER!!!

Sword of the stranger 10/10

can i give 11/10?? xD

Great samurai action movie! It was the second time i saw this one and samurai stuff its my favorite. The charactercs, the music the fights animation are gorgeous, so fluid. The final battle its nothing but epic in the snow and violence/blood all over the place.

I advice everyone to see it!!

A masterpiece for samurai fans![/b]

Back