PSN update from Sony - Not good news.

@Mutsumi: So far, the only announcement for a successor console is Nintendo and their "Project Cafe". Already known to be more powerful than the 360/PS3, playable at E3 and companies such as rockstar, retro studios, ubisoft, etc etc have games planned for it. The intention is to make the console attract the hardcore audience back.

As much as i'd like to see microsoft come up with something new console wise, it seems a little too out of the blue, considering how they said the kinect would add so much more to the consoles lifespan. But hey, i'll cover that again in another thread.

@Tach: Personal opinion doesn't count for the majority ;p Besides, when i said weaker of the 3, i was not meaning in console power. And console power has nothing to do with the quality of games that are released. Sony has become the "weaker of the three" because of trust, and to run a successful company with so many consumers, you need that trust. Nintendo still have that trust, microsoft still have that trust, sony? Not so much. Hence why they are now the weaker of the three to some. Free games are an apology, maybe with a scheme to bring back in the trust, but freebies only do so much.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am sure I heard somewhere that Microsoft planned to make a significant announcement concerning the 360's successor at E3, and that they aimed to have it in shops before the end of 2012. I should think that following such an announcement, 360's will begin to lower a little in price.

Also, why should there be less reason to trust Sony? Everything they did in response to being hacked has made sense to me, and they've not tried to screw anyone over.

Also, don't you think Microsoft have less reason to be trusted, after the very well known reliability issues of the different 360 models? I'd rather have online gaming downtime followed by compensation, than to have to send my console in for repairs again and wait six weeks to get it back.

@Mutsumi: Hmm, that's possible actually. It's probably just been a while ago since it was hinted at that i've completely forgot about it due to Project Cafe and such, hah.

As for less reason to be trusted. Possibly due to being hacked in the first place. I'm not really bothered regardless, it's not changed my opinion on the PS3/PSP in general, and i still continue to purchase for them both(despite not having a PS3, no less). But there are many which will take this series of events, and use it as a reason to not trust them, regardless of whether everything was sorted without loss of money or whatever. I can certainly understand for people in Germany losing all forms of trust, there was cases of bank details being taken there, but here? It's not as understandable. Chances are, the vocal minority are the ones given the wrong impression again. It's happened plenty of times before.

Microsoft are a mixed bag. They are trusted, but they have absolutely no clue about what they are doing at the moment. Kinect has been out for ages as an example, and name me one game since the launch titles that has been released on it? They said Kinect would be their next big thing, and from what i can tell, there has been only the launch titles for it with some DLC. Their XBL is more stable overall, but it's a paid service, if it wasn't we'd want our money back.

Maybe in terms of console repairs it's just me, but i've never had to repair my 360, i only replaced my launch console last year because it was overall cheaper to get an elite with the way i went about it than a new HDD. But yeah, 360 reliability issues are a dead cert for being untrusted. As said, a mix bag. Sony where pretty strong up until now, much like Ninty, there was no reason to really fault it. Now there is a small factor and as can be seen by a few in this topic, they jumped on it. Tis the way of things i s'pose

Arbalest said:
name me one game since the launch titles that has been released on it?

Michael Jackson: The Experience. I was planning to get this on Kinect when I eventually got it, but the Move version has mic support, and for better or worse, I just love to sing... XD Otherwise, I think the Kinect one will be better for dancing, given how it detects your whole body, not just the controller in your hand.

As for trust issues, Nintendo have their own dirty little secret too; apparently they are one of the worst companies at the moment for environmental things of some kind. Cannot remember where I saw that, but I doubt it is of any great concern to us.

Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:
Too little, too late, Sony, already bought a replacement 360. At least next time there won't be so many left using the console for them to **** up on such a large scale.

Replacement 360? Implying you have some experience of the 360's poor reliability already...
Yeah, my launch model that I bought at the end of 2005 finally gave up the ghost over five years later. Probably the most reliable console I've ever had considering how much I used it.

Tachi- said:
"Even" you? Are you the CEO of a large multinational or something? ;)

edit: egotistical, fate-tempting rant removed.

ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:
Too little, too late, Sony, already bought a replacement 360. At least next time there won't be so many left using the console for them to **** up on such a large scale.

Replacement 360? Implying you have some experience of the 360's poor reliability already...
Yeah, my launch model that I bought at the end of 2005 finally gave up the ghost over five years later. Probably the most reliable console I've ever had considering how much I used it.

Then you have had poor luck with consoles if your most reliable one is one that died on you, regardless of the level of use it saw. You are fighting a lost cause if you wish to defend the 360's reliability, my dear. They may not be dropping like flies, but 360's are comparatively less reliable than pretty much every major console thus far.

If you are going back to 360, at least do it for the right reasons. Any notion of doing so to spite Sony is mistaken. As a particular phrase I used to hate having said to me as a kid goes, "don't cut off your nose to spite your face". I feel this phrase is more fitting of those on the 'moving to 360' bandwagon.

Mutsumi said:
If you are going back to 360, at least do it for the right reasons.
Did you not read my post? Admittedly I edited out some of the more pertinent points but, to sum up, I still have a working JP 360 either way and play on it more than PS3 even as things stand, but there was no pressing need for me to replace my UK one until Sony's balls up meant I couldn't play the game I wanted to play on the PS3.

ilmaestro said:
Tachi- said:
"Even" you? Are you the CEO of a large multinational or something? ;)

lol no, but browse the forums and you'll see that i do tend to spend rather alot of money on a weekly basis, i'm a sufferer of impulse buying you see, but thankfully payday rolls around again next week :p

ilmaestro said:

I wonder, did you personally make that edit, or did someone mod you ;)

ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:
Did you not read my post? Admittedly I edited out some of the more pertinent points but, to sum up, I still have a working JP 360 either way and play on it more than PS3 even as things stand, but there was no pressing need for me to replace my UK one until Sony's balls up meant I couldn't play the game I wanted to play on the PS3.

I guess were from different strokes of the board. You mainly play 360 so the psn attack just pushed you more towards microsoft. And me and Muts are more Playstation gamers, so its only natural to stay loyal to the company but understand they f***ed up badly. Atleast their trying to sort it out though,

never going to please everyone but trying is a start.

@ arby, don't take my posts too literal ;)

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/86370 ... word-reset

Just two days after the PlayStation Network came back online, Sony has been forced to shut down some key features again after it emerged that an exploit could allow an attacker to reset a customer's password.

Sony was forced to make PlayStation Network sign-in unavailable for a range if its websites, including the main PlayStation.com, after details emerged of an exploit that meant a user's password could be reset with just the email address used for the account and the user's date of birth.

Both of those bits of information, of course, were among those compromised in the original PSN hack - meaning that users were potentially at risk of having their accounts stolen.

The exploit was first revealed on Nyleveia.com, who said they had contacted Sony to warn them of the security threat - and that Sony took down the web-based password reset option shortly after responding to them.

Sony said in a statement that: 'Those who are still trying to change their password via Playstation.com or Qriocity.com will be unable to do so for the time being. This is due to essential maintenance and at present it is unclear how long this will take.

'In the meantime you will still be able to sign into PSN via your PlayStation 3 and PSP devices to connect to game services and view Trophy/Friends information.

Nyleveia wrote: 'I would suggest that you secure your accounts now by creating a completely new email that you will not use ANYWHERE ELSE, and switching your PSN account to use this new email.'

Earlier today, Sony CEO Howard Stringer told the Wall Street Journal in an interview that: 'We had no reason to believe that our security was not good and still no reason to believe it because we have plenty of people looking at it. We've learned that we just have to keep improving our security.'

More bad news for Sony.

Hmm, i guess this is why i couldn't log into my psn on my phone all day yesterday. Now that you mention it, it was abit overlooked/naive to think the password reset proceedure was safe.

ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:

It isn't really Sony's balls up that brought PSN down though, it was the malice of some thick-wristed nerds.

Anyway, if I got the wrong idea about your choice to buy another 360, then you have my apologies.

@Mangaman: I was going to say that could easily explain the reasoning behind the PSN e-mails not getting through, however that was a different case entirely. That was apparently a mix of server overloads on sonys end and microsoft being gits at the other.

Still, i guess this shows that the PSN is still at it's iffy stage of repair. Sure, things are up, but there is still a lot they haven't got properly sorted. It might have been a better idea to leave it a bit longer to be honest.

Arbalest said:
@Mangaman: I was going to say that could easily explain the reasoning behind the PSN e-mails not getting through, however that was a different case entirely. That was apparently a mix of server overloads on sonys end and microsoft being gits at the other.

Yeah i covered that the other day, what a joke ¬____¬

Arbalest said:
Still, i guess this shows that the PSN is still at it's iffy stage of repair. Sure, things are up, but there is still a lot they haven't got properly sorted. It might have been a better idea to leave it a bit longer to be honest.

They where so eager to have it all back up and running but someone overlooked the reset proceedure, it happens *shrugs*

Muts is right; Sony aren't to blame, in all the years the psn has been up i don't recall ever having a prblem. it was the fault of bitter nerds collectively getting angry over something that tbh doesn't really serve much purpose.

Having a second OS on a ps3? whats the point of getting angry about that, get a laptop and problem solved. (probs annoyed that they couldn't run linux to hack the system/games)

Tachi- said:
lol no, but browse the forums and you'll see that i do tend to spend rather alot of money on a weekly basis
I see. I tend to tune out the noise posts at this point, but rest assured that I also have no qualms with spending my disposable income.

Tachi- said:
ilmaestro said:

I wonder, did you personally make that edit, or did someone mod you ;)
I didn't even actually post the rant, I made the edit pre-submission to indicate clearly that there was a response, without the need to actually continue it further.

Mutsumi said:
Anyway, if I got the wrong idea about your choice to buy another 360, then you have my apologies.
No problems, I wasn't entirely clear. :)

STORE BACK UP BY END OF WEEK

ABOUT BLOODY TIME

My theory on the playstation blog last week (the "welcome back" post) about them releasing the maintenance on the tuesday and then rolling out the store by the end of the week seems to be ringing true.

Atlast well all be able to access the store ( i think the E3 being so close now was even more of a kick up the backside for sony)

Imagine the shame and mocking comments made if Sony turned up at E3 without the store running, microsoft and nintendo will just sit back and laugh about it.

As ever though, sony aren't replying to posts and the team leaders seem to know literally nothing.

* Access to the free games and exclusive features finishes at the end of the 30-day subscription period. Anything you buy with exclusive discounts, dynamic themes and premium avatars are yours to keep forever.

Don't forget to exploit that PS+ discount too! Thanks to Tachi's facebook for me finding out.

Mutsumi said:
* Access to the free games and exclusive features finishes at the end of the 30-day subscription period. Anything you buy with exclusive discounts, dynamic themes and premium avatars are yours to keep forever.

Don't forget to exploit that PS+ discount too! Thanks to Tachi's facebook for me finding out.

Yeah i should have wrote that on here too, but you got it covered :)

Ironically the JP store came back sooner, despite it taking so long for the government to allow them to re-open PSN in any fashion.

ilmaestro said:
Ironically the JP store came back sooner, despite it taking so long for the government to allow them to re-open PSN in any fashion.

Where've you heard this? If it is indeed true then a return of the ps store worldwide could be within the next 24 to 48 hours (guesstimating)

There's been rumours of a "Lulzsec" on Twitter yesterday hacking the sony systems again. I doubt it, but its not exactly something helpful for the people awaiting the store.

With the FBI involved in this business i highly doubt another attack would happen, using tracking programs to find the source of the hackers and being able to enforce the law upon them is enough of a deterrent.

Back