Possible UK [adult swim] channel coming soon?

fabricatedlunatic said:
A few weeks late but... Akira got viewing figures of 1.25m in 1994? Blimey. I don't remember seeing WoH, Patlabor, or Roujin Z, but given the lack of anime coverage on the Beeb since, it's probably fair to assume they didn't set the ratings alight.

Yah, I remember. I was there.

I remember watching Roujin Z on BBC 2 late at night after failing to grab it on DVD. I dimly recall watching patlabor on network TV and I can vividly remember Jonathan Ross introducing Akira before it got its UK premier on BBC 2.

The thing is, back in the early to mid 1990s, anime was more in the zeitgeist. It was even - whisper it - cool for a while.

I'd still love to think there's a possibility for a renaissance - a second or third boom, if you will. If Hollywood could actually make good on its promise to knock out a decent movie based on some decent anime, then I can see that being the catalyst, maybe.

Who knows - if that Bubblegum Crisis movie actually happens...

I have to go and wash my mouth out with soap and water now, for that shameful use of the term 'zeitgeist'. :oops:

Got another e-mail

Thanks for your email.

I’m afraid im unable to disclose any information about the future of our programming that hasn’t already been publicly announced. All future announcements about adult swim will be communicated via our website, twitter and facebook pages, so keep your eye on those and you’ll be fully up to speed.

.......SOMETHING BIG THIS WAY COMETH!!!!!! :D :D

Ryo Chan said:
R.I.P Adult Swim
Hmm? The FX thing was just a six month deal. The email would have said "there are no plans for the future of [as] in the UK" if it was going off UK telly forever.

If you're on about Adult Swim in the US being crap, then this is different. They won't be showing Family Guy since they don't have the license

Paradox295 said:
Jayme said:
I think your reading into it too much.
I could be, but they wouldn't be saying that if there was something that was unannounced..

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Paradox here, if nothing was going to happen in the first place why would they have come back with that reply ?

Mo3ooo said:
Paradox295 said:
Jayme said:
I could be, but they wouldn't be saying that if there was something that was unannounced..

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Paradox here, if nothing was going to happen in the first place why would they have come back with that reply ?

I don't know, I think unless they had some sort of deal with FX that if the figures were good the could renegotiate their contract.

I don't think TBS would launch adult swim as it's own channel, because whether you hate to admit anything other than Family Guy on the US adult swim barely registers with viewers. Anime on the US adult swim is more a labour of love, it's ratings are dismal and are often mocked on their bumps, it only really exists on the schedule as Williams Street are fans, show like Metalocalypse and the brilliant Venture Bros do marginally better but not strong enough to merit a full blown channel.

Unless TBS UK has something up it's sleeve, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mo3ooo said:
What reply? That's just a standard "we ain't telling you anything" message. Doesn't mean there actually is anything.

Mo3ooo said:
Paradox295 said:
Jayme said:

Mhm, if they weren't hiding anything, they would have given me a reply similar to the one in the OP

J_C_X said:
Mo3ooo said:
Paradox295 said:
Jayme said:

I don't know, I think unless they had some sort of deal with FX that if the figures were good the could renegotiate their contract.

I don't think TBS would launch adult swim as it's own channel, because whether you hate to admit anything other than Family Guy on the US adult swim barely registers with viewers. Anime on the US adult swim is more a labour of love, it's ratings are dismal and are often mocked on their bumps, it only really exists on the schedule as Williams Street are fans, show like Metalocalypse and the brilliant Venture Bros do marginally better but not strong enough to merit a full blown channel.

Unless TBS UK has something up it's sleeve, I wouldn't hold my breath.
But, we have a lot of channels here in the UK that wouldn't make anything in the US. Spinoff and +1 channels, for example.

[as] on FX gets within the region of 60k a week, channels that get less than that include Diva TV, Film24, Kix!, NME TV, Prime TV, Scuzz, Wedding TV, Sky Arts 2 etc, etc.

Channel 4/E4/4Music could have an [as] block, but just like AS on Bravo, it will fail miserably =/

They have said on their Facebook page that they want to launch an [as] channel in the UK, but haven't managed to convince the Turner heads that it's worth investing in.

Of course a 24 hour AS channel is definately not worth the space, seeing as they don't have enough shows to fill it, and most of them wont be allowed before the watershed. But as I always say, a 8pm-4am channel, similar to BBC3, will most likely work.
Jayme said:
Mo3ooo said:
What reply? That's just a standard "we ain't telling you anything" message. Doesn't mean there actually is anything.
But in the OP, I emailed them and they said "there's exciting stuff in the pipeline!". This time, their reply was "can't tell you, sorry".

Back