Possible UK [adult swim] channel coming soon?

Paradox295

Pokémon Master
[adult swim], the late night US programming block which premieres english-dubbed anime such as Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kekkaishi and previously aired FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: SAC and Death Note, may soon be getting a UK spinoff:

Thanks for taking an interest in Adult Swim. Unfortunately Ofcom regulations in the UK don’t permit us to put any grown-up content on a kids channel, even after the watershed. The USA have different restrictions, hence them being able to run Adult Swim late night on Cartoon Network.

We’re currently exploring new possibilities for Adult Swim, nothing is yet 100% confirmed so I can only suggest you keep an eye out on AdultSwim.co.uk for future updates, but I can say there are exciting things in the pipeline…
^(Email I got from Turner Media Innovations)

Adult Swim's own programming currently airs in the UK on FX and adultswim.co.uk

My guess is that it will be timesharing with CN/CN:Too/Boomerang/Cartoonito on a different EPG number like how Anime Central used to with Pop Girl (I think)

ummmmmm Adult Swim has been on FX for about 2 month now :D

Thanks for taking an interest in Adult Swim. Unfortunately Ofcom regulations in the UK don’t permit us to put any grown-up content on a kids channel, even after the watershed. The USA have different restrictions, hence them being able to run Adult Swim late night on Cartoon Network.

what was CNX/toonami then? lol

"Ofcom regulations in the UK don’t permit us to put any grown-up content on a kids channel"
Isn't this self-defeating? Surely once you put "grown-up" content on it ceases being a kid's channel and becomes just.. a channel that has kids stuff on before the watershed.

FX's three shows on repeat isn't a segment, its just three [adult swim] shows on FX. They show Robot Chicken (for 10 mins) at 10PM, followed by Metalocalypse (for 10 mins) three hours later and three hours after that The Venture Bros (20 mins). Too much S1 - 3 FG inbetween the stuff.

Shiroi Hane said:
and becomes just.. a channel that has kids stuff on before the watershed.
Or a kids channel that has adult stuff on after the watershed. Sounds better. lol.

It makes sense though. The way are channels are split up now, a proper [as] channel is where its at. I don't want them to take it away from CN though. I want my late night Cartoon Cartoons.

ilmaestro said:
Aren't there rumors like this every few months, and then nothing happens? And do they even show much anime these days?
Only on saturdays, the saturday schedule is currently

10:00pm KOTH
10:30pm KOTH
11:00pm American Dad
11:30pm American Dad
12:00am Bleach (New)
12:30am Kekkaishi (New)
1:00am FMA Brotherhood
1:30am FMA Brotherhood
2:00am Cowboy Bebop
2:30am Cowboy Bebop
3:00am GITS: SAC
3:30am GITS: SAC
4:00am Bleach (12am rerun)
4:30am Kekkaishi (12:30am rerun)
5:00am Inuyasha
5:30am Inuyasha
Ryo Chan said:
ummmmmm Adult Swim has been on FX for about 2 month now :D

what was CNX/toonami then? lol
Actually, it's been about 5 months, with 1 episode of Robot chicken a week, and it's nearly finished
And CNX was on Channel 244, so it wasn't in the Kids section
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Anime or not I would watch adult swim provided it was freeview.
Probably won't be on freeview, but, as long as it's on Virgin, then it would be perfect
Jayme said:
FX's three shows on repeat isn't a segment, its just three [adult swim] shows on FX. They show Robot Chicken (for 10 mins) at 10PM, followed by Metalocalypse (for 10 mins) three hours later and three hours after that The Venture Bros (20 mins). Too much S1 - 3 FG inbetween the stuff.
I agree, if they replaced two of the FG repeats with The Boondocks and Home Movies, then it would be great!
(King of the Hill Season 13 is replacing Better Off Ted on the 30th October, btw)
Jayme said:
Or a kids channel that has adult stuff on after the watershed. Sounds better. lol.

It makes sense though. The way are channels are split up now, a proper [as] channel is where its at. I don't want them to take it away from CN though. I want my late night Cartoon Cartoons.
IMO, they should close Turner Classic Movies 2 and have [adult swim] timeshare with Cartoonito, so it runs 8pm-4am

(Ideally I'd like a channel with Toonami from 6am-10pm and Adult swim from 10pm-6am, but that's never gonna happen =/)

Paradox295 said:
(Ideally I'd like a channel with Toonami from 6am-10pm and Adult swim from 10pm-6am, but that's never gonna happen =/)

CSC used to run Popgirl 6am to 9pm and Anime Central 9pm to 6am, its been done before.

And no need to close TCM2. They show the odd good movie.

Paradox295 said:
I agree, if they replaced two of the FG repeats with The Boondocks and Home Movies, then it would be great!
(King of the Hill Season 13 is replacing Better Off Ted on the 30th October, btw)
Chuck in ATHF and I'll be dandy. And are you insinuating King of the Hill is better than Better Off Ted? How dare ye. :p

Project-2501 said:
Paradox295 said:

CSC used to run Popgirl 6am to 9pm and Anime Central 9pm to 6am, its been done before.

And no need to close TCM2. They show the odd good movie.
No, I meant a Toonami channel that has an adult swim block, rather than 2 channels that timeshare. But it's more than likely gonna be the former, if anything

And they should close TCM2, because rather than having two that show the odd good movie, they should have 1 channel that shows alot of good movies. :wink:

Jayme said:
Paradox295 said:
Chuck in ATHF and I'll be dandy. And are you insinuating King of the Hill is better than Better Off Ted? How dare ye. :p
ATHF will probably replace Robot Chicken when Season 4 is over

And Better off ted and King of the hill are both great shows, but Better off Ted kinda doesn't fit with it being live action and all.

Its TCM, the don't have a lot of good movies :)

As said before OFCOM get rather uppity about direct sharing of channels like that. The Cartoon network channels are for kiddies and they don't care that its 3am and its just insomniac/stoned adults watching, its still a kiddies channel.

At the end of the day no-one would watch as they are 120+ eps behind with Bleuch on [AS] and I'm betting that its dubbed. ;)

Project-2501 said:
Its TCM, the don't have a lot of good movies :)

As said before OFCOM get rather uppity about direct sharing of channels like that. The Cartoon network channels are for kiddies and they don't care that its 3am and its just insomniac/stoned adults watching, its still a kiddies channel.

At the end of the day no-one would watch as they are 120+ eps behind with Bleuch on [AS] and I'm betting that its dubbed. ;)
*points up at the whole Pop Girl/AnimeCentral conversation*

And seeing as they won't have Family Guy/KOTH/etc, I would see the schedule being something like

8:00pm Home Movies
8:30pm Home Movies
9:00pm Bleach
9:30pm Bleach
10:00pm Robot Chicken
10:15pm ATHF
10:30pm Metalocolypse
10:45pm Sealab
11:00pm Venture
11:30pm Boondocks
12:00am-4am Repeat Block

So, they would catch up to the current dubbed episodes within a couple of months
Also, remember that Bleach Movie 2 sold 1,000 copies on the first day alone, so they should get a decent amount of viewers

Paradox295 said:
Actually, it's been about 5 months, with 1 episode of Robot chicken a week, and it's nearly finished
602 (or 603 actually (sky) CNX wasn't a channel, it was a segment of the Cartoon Network channels before they phased out into Toonami, which then became CNToo

Ryo Chan said:
Paradox295 said:

602 (or 603 actually (sky) CNX wasn't a channel, it was a segment of the Cartoon Network channels before they phased out into Toonami, which then became CNToo
According to wikipedia..

2000-2002: Toonami starts as a block on Cartoon Network
2002-2003: CNX Launches
2003-2005: Rebranded into the Toonami channel and moves to 602
2005-2007: Loses DBZ and starts showing crap like Life With Derek and Parker Lewis
2007-present: Rebranded as Cartoon Network Too

Well, it looks like ye olde anime on UK TV rumour mill is starting up again! Giving mostly false hope to the masses since 2005 or whenever.

I doubt it, Turner Broadcasting Company UK try everything in their will to not broadcast anime, but it's funny to know that in my whole area everyone knows and loves anime, I remember two parents in HMV buying their daughter a Bleach season box set and then in WH smiths man people were buying manga.

Back