Pokémon Black & White

So the hardest thing about making B&W different was making it for the DS again... and now they're making the sequel on the DS... again.

I'm back at "short on ideas", now.

Joshawott said:
Nintendo have stated all along that they intend for the DS and 3DS to coexist for some time
They also said the GBA and the DS were supposed to be just two of the "three pillars"... I will lean more towards sales figures affecting their decisions over random PR speak.

ilmaestro said:
So the hardest thing about making B&W different was making it for the DS again... and now they're making the sequel on the DS... again.
Basically, Generation V of Pokémon is comprised of Black, White, Black 2 and White 2. GameFreak have kept each Generation on its own console (While Gold and Silver work on the original Gameboy, they are marketed as Gameboy Colour games).

GameFreak had the problem of making a new generation feel different to a previous generation on the same console. Now that they have Black and White out of the way, they can just make subsequent Generation V games feel similar to that one, without the problem they had with BW's development.

If they had moved to the 3DS mid-generation, the difference in the games would have been vast - so much so that it would feel like a completely different generation. So in that respect, it was better for them to wait until the next generation to move onto the 3DS. This is why I feel that Black 2 and White 2 will end this generation, so GameFreak can move onto the 3DS. Also, if they moved onto the 3DS with Black 2 and White 2, that would have meant that when Generation VI came along, they would have had the same problem occur with making those games feel different to B2W2.

This is also supported by Meloetta being leaked on a movie poster shortly before the Black 2/White 2 announcement (which took the attention away). For once this year, we are having 2 mythical Pokémon being used to promote a movie (well, a movie and its short), which leaves Genesect as the only mythical Pokémon yet to be released and the only Unova legendary yet to appear in the anime series or movies- so it will obviously be in next year's movie alongside a Generation VI Pokémon

The point being that with B&W this went from being their own console to merely the same console, sharing the DS with the previous games.

My point is that they absolutely should have moved to the 3DS, because they should be on the brand new games by now, but they are short on ideas so they are still releasing the game on the DS.

Failing that, my other theory is the one outlined above about money and sales figures.

Saying "we're making it on an old platform, so we can make the game as fresh as possible" makes as much sense as the ModNation Racer on Vita guys saying "we are taking out competitive online multiplayer, because we want to get rid of tired, old online functions".

Under the proviso of "you guys had better make B&W2 now, because we need money", I absolutely agree with you it was the right decision to just make them/it on DS. :)

Shall we just agree to disagree then? Either way, they're on the Nintendo DS and the next games will be on the 3DS. If they don't move to the 3DS for the next set of games, that will indeed by very silly xD

Also, Autumn 2012 UK release confirmed.
This makes it the shortest amount of time between a main series game being released in Japan and elsewhere.

I do get what you're saying Josh, I just think with the copies and money they must have made on B/W, it seems a rather strange and dissapointing move not to just go straight to the 3DS. I see where you're coming from, but given the fact that people were already dissapointed BW werent 3DS titles as again they would have shifted machines, it seems even sillier the sequels STILL aren't 3DS.

Like Zelda, a GOOD pokemon title that takes advantage of the 3DS's increased hardware features and power would definately have shifted systems, especially to younger users who perhaps aren't as bothered by some of the things the Vita/3DS offer over the original DS.

Werent the sales on the 3DS really poor though? Would they really move to a system where there player base may drop just because they want to enhance something that doesn't really need to be enhanced?
I suppose they could use it as an opportunity to increase 3DS sales but would that really work?

Taylor said:
Werent the sales on the 3DS really poor though? Would they really move to a system where there player base may drop just because they want to enhance something that doesn't really need to be enhanced?
I suppose they could use it as an opportunity to increase 3DS sales but would that really work?
At first, the sales were poor. However, following the price drop last August and the release of games like Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 just before Christmas, the Nintendo 3DS' 8 month sales beat the original DS' 1 year sales.

Joshawott said:
Taylor said:
At first, the sales were poor. However, following the price drop last August and the release of games like Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 just before Christmas, the Nintendo 3DS' 8 month sales beat the original DS' 1 year sales.

Hmm, I remember reading something that was posted after christmas that said they were still in a loss because of the 3DS; though I cant remember what kind of a loss it was.

Yep, like Josh says, the system is shifting serious numbers now, outselling all other hardware combined in Japan.

Joshawott said:
Shall we just agree to disagree then?
Sounds fair. :) I am just a little disappointed - I don't play Pokemon any more, but I might have come back for a 3DS version.

New event on the pokemon global link, you can get yourself a Lucario with Justified and the move Bullet Punch. Password is LUCAEUROGAMERNET.

Also, the UK Video Game Championships Qualifier happened this previous Saturday. The winner was Ruben, who won the event last year - however, he has since been disqualified for improper conduct at the hotel prior to the event (which I had the misfortune of witnessing first hand).

Basically, a fair few of the players competing in the VGC on Saturday were staying at a hotel at Birmingham International Airport on the night of the 2nd; the Spanish team had their own room (or rooms?) and during the early evening, one of them thought it was a good idea to leave their poo into the hotel hallway (As well as generally being loud). Other websites have claimed that a "poo fight" broke out, but that is false.

While me and my group were at the airport having dinner, apparently the police were called and the group of Spanish players were kicked out of the hotel and given a £100 fine - as we found out via Facebook as it happened; with Ruben being named as the one who did it.

As for how I got on - I went out in Round 2, which is better than last year!

Wow Josha you were actually involved? Thats pretty awesome!

Does that mean you got a Shiny Larvitar or whatever it was? Was pretty annoyed when i saw you had to attend to obtain it :(

Taylor said:
Wow Josha you were actually involved? Thats pretty awesome!

Does that mean you got a Shiny Larvitar or whatever it was? Was pretty annoyed when i saw you had to attend to obtain it :(
Well, you could show up and sign up (granted, there is a cap on entrance).

Yeah, I got 2 Shiny Larvitar (1 on Black, 1 on White) - one of them is now an awesome Tyranitar. Everyone who shown up could obtain one, regardless of if they competed or not.

Awesome Josh, shiny Tyranitar is awesome :D

Going to try hatching one myself later once I get a good Pidgey. It's a good thing my Japanese Ditto is a jolly nature and the Tyranitar I will be using, helped me get my perfect Hydration Lapras.

Ruben has apparently been banned from Play! Pokémon events indefinitely. If there's a lesson to be learned, it's that poo goes in the toilet, not in the hotel hallway.

Rena Ryuugu said:
Awesome Josh, shiny Tyranitar is awesome :D

Going to try hatching one myself later once I get a good Pidgey. It's a good thing my Japanese Ditto is a jolly nature and the Tyranitar I will be using, helped me get my perfect Hydration Lapras.
I SR'd for a bit to get some good IVs (All above 25, except Sp.Def which is 21 iirc).

That means I now have a row of 6 shinies in my Pokédex xD (Due to the Shiny Raikou, Entei and Suicune events, now Larvitar and its evolutions).

Back