PlayStation Retro Discussion (inc. PS3, digital PS1 & PS2 Classics & PS Plus Premium)

Sony have announced their July batch for Classics, which covers 2 PSP games:
  • No Heroes Allowed! (PSP)
  • LocoRoco Midnight Carnival (PSP)
Also coming soon are:
  • Dino Crisis (PS1) - leaked by PS Asia listings
  • Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) - One of the confirmed titles from Sony's blog
  • Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (PSP) - leaked by Italian PS blog

Also coming soon are:
Oh sweet Dino Crisis

Also coming soon are:
A snail's pace release schedule it is then. 😑

it's a shame we won't get a proper remaster of Midnight Carnival considering they did 1 and 2, wonder how long it'll be before PSP Syphon Filter pops up and if we'll get the US versions or the slightly censored EU versions

A quick update.

Echoshift (PSP) has been added at the last second to this month's Premium line-up.

In addition, Japan is apparently going to receive Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP port of the original PS2 game).

First page has been updated with the current PS Plus Classic line-up.

Since July we have had the following added:

September:
  • Key of Heaven / Kingdom of Paradise (PSP - £7.99)
  • Syphon Filter 2 (PS1 - £7.99 with Trophies)
  • Toy Story 3: The Video Game (PSP - £7.99)
December:
  • Oddworld: Abe's Exodus (PS1 - £7.99)
  • Pinball Heroes (PSP - £7.99 with Trophies)
  • Ridge Racer 2 (PSP - PS Plus Premium Exclusive)
There were no new additions for October & November other than PS3 streaming titles.

Coming Soon, either rated, leaked by PS Blog or announced for Asia are:
  • Dino Crisis (PS1)
  • Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP)
  • Resistance: Retribution (PSP)
  • Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (PSP)
  • Syphon Filter 3 (PS1)
  • Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PSP)
  • Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow (PSP)
  • Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP - Arriving sometime this week supposedly)

September:
December:
There were no new additions for October & November other than PS3 streaming titles.

• Dino Crisis (PS1)
  • Syphon Filter 3 (PS1)
Half a year on from the launch of the tiered PS+, the PS1/PSP side of the equation really has been pathetic. I pity anyone who subscribed to the most expensive tier hoping for a big catalogue of 90s games.

Half a year on from the launch of the tiered PS+, the PS1/PSP side of the equation really has been pathetic. I pity anyone who subscribed to the most expensive tier hoping for a big catalogue of 90s games.
I got 'Premium' (lol) free for an extra year thanks to a weird lapover with my PS Now ending 3 days after my PS+ renewed and I would 100% never subscribe to it!

The 'Extra' tier is actually pretty good for £20 extra a year and i will most likey downgrade to that when my current sub ends.
But they should really just get rid of the premium tier, even if they start banging out PS1 & PS2 games at a rate of 10 a week they've still alienated anybody who actually paid for it and have been shafted.

September:
December:

• Dino Crisis (PS1)
  • Syphon Filter 3 (PS1)
Oh neat the only good Dino Crisis game.

I got 'Premium' (lol) free for an extra year thanks to a weird lapover with my PS Now ending 3 days after my PS+ renewed and I would 100% never subscribe to it!

The 'Extra' tier is actually pretty good for £20 extra a year and i will most likey downgrade to that when my current sub ends.
But they should really just get rid of the premium tier, even if they start banging out PS1 & PS2 games at a rate of 10 a week they've still alienated anybody who actually paid for it and have been shafted.
Yeah the handling of the PS Premium classics has been an absolute mess.

I can only speculate that the reason it's been awful is down to the PAL controversy for UK/EU/Asia owners and perhaps the emulator not being up to scratch along the way (it's been said on the forums elsewhere that apparently Pinball Heroes is an updated version of the emulator).

I know folks were expecting PS2 games but I don't believe they were officially marketed to make an appearance (the ones already on PS+ were technically PS4 ports), plus that PS2 on PS4 emulator is not properly compatible for PS5 so trying to get games added to the service using that would be a death sentence.

Let's also not forget that their PS3 additions were basically titles that were removed from PS Now and then re-added months later as if they were new additions.

Yeah the handling of the PS Premium classics has been an absolute mess.

I can only speculate that the reason it's been awful is down to the PAL controversy for UK/EU/Asia owners and perhaps the emulator not being up to scratch along the way (it's been said on the forums elsewhere that apparently Pinball Heroes is an updated version of the emulator).

I know folks were expecting PS2 games but I don't believe they were officially marketed to make an appearance (the ones already on PS+ were technically PS4 ports), plus that PS2 on PS4 emulator is not properly compatible for PS5 so trying to get games added to the service using that would be a death sentence.

Let's also not forget that their PS3 additions were basically titles that were removed from PS Now and then re-added months later as if they were new additions.
Yeah I called it months ago, it was entirely half assed and rushed to market. Took me a while to get past my initial skepticism and upgrade to extra (which I actually think is a decent deal for a rental service).

There are some PS2 games that do work on PS5, like Kinetica for instance, though whether a game would work is rather unpredictable; I did find a workaround for those with a good internet, choosing to stream the games renders them on a PS4 rather than 5 so any incompatibilities are generally eliminated; just FYI for anyone who has premium and wants to play a PS2 game that doesn't work properly and supports this option; like Ape Escape 2 for instance.

All in all though, the premium tier needs some serious work; not that that's stopped me from subbing to it when it was £25 off as there are still a ton of games for the price of 2 and a half.

Last edited:
January's PS Plus line-up was recently revealed and we have 3 more PlayStation games arriving!
  • Everybody's Golf aka Hot Shots Golf 2 - Expected to be available for purchase, have trophies and free to download for those who purchased the PS3 PSN version

• Star Wars: Demolition - Expected to be available for purchase

• Syphon Filter 3 - Expected to be available for purchase, have trophies and free to download for those who purchased the PS3 PSN version

January's PS Plus line-up was recently revealed and we have 3 more PlayStation games arriving!
  • Everybody's Golf aka Hot Shots Golf 2 - Expected to be available for purchase, have trophies and free to download for those who purchased the PS3 PSN version

• Syphon Filter 3 - Expected to be available for purchase, have trophies and free to download for those who purchased the PS3 PSN version
I grabbed premium for £6 in the January sales so now I can pay attention to what's coming out now lol.

Considering the paltry amount of PS1 games on the service, I'm struggling to understand this weird boner Sony have for Syphon Filter. I can only assume something about the corporate ownership of the IP made it easy to clear.

A mini-update. Sony have started to go back and add trophy support to a few of their already released Classics.

PlayStation:
  • Jumping Flash!
PlayStation Portable:
  • No Heroes Allowed
  • Super Stardust Portable
In addition, Super Stardust Portable is now available for purchase after being released exclusively through the PS Plus service.

Back