PlayStation Retro Discussion (inc. PS3, digital PS1 & PS2 Classics & PS Plus Premium)

Just renewed my PS+ and dropped from Premium to Extra so I guarantee you they'll announce Dino Crisis for next month!!
You're welcome guys.
My PS+ Premium renewed in early April and for some reason it kept the PS Now price when I originally bought that sub before it switched over.

My PS+ Premium renewed in early April and for some reason it kept the PS Now price when I originally bought that sub before it switched over.
I had similar when they switched to tiers.
I had 2 months left on my PSnow and my PS+ auto renewed 5 days before the switch so pretty much got an entire year of Premium.
Think I've maybe played 3 "retro/PSone" games, only thing I'll actually miss is the game trials which have convinced me to buy at least 2 games.

The good news is that Pursuit Force can be downloaded if you bought it on PSP. The bad news is that the game is even worse than I remembered. The steering is trash whether you use the d-pad or analogue stick. The slightest nudge on the steering sends you slamming into civilian cars (which carries penalties) and most corners are tight 90° that the controls don't deal with well.

Looks like LucasArt's classic overhead adventure game Herc's Adventures is coming to PlayStation 4 & PlayStation 5 for the June slate as it was listed on a PS Deals site with Disney Interactive Studios as its publisher.

The game should also quality for a free download if you purchased the game during the PlayStation 3 era.

LikablePlainHoki-size_restricted.gif

Decided to get a US PSN card for more classic PlayStation games and to my surprise, Ape Escape and Kurushi (I.Q.: Intelligent Qube) were both on sale over on the US PlayStation store for $6.99 so I bought them. While Sony has been working their way to adding NTSC support for the UK/EU store it's apparently incomplete and inconsistent for each title and I would rather just get the US Version without hassle. It is interesting to see that the PS5 Dashboard does retain the UK/EU artwork while the game is still NTSC. Fun fact I completely forgot that Kurushi has trophy support.

Meanwhile I also downloaded Hot Shots Golf (Everybody's Golf) at full price as I wanted to own both games today. The second game Hot Shots Golf 2 as well as the entire Syphon Filter trilogy (Syphon Filter, Syphon Filter 2, Syphon Filter 3) were all purchased via the PlayStation 3 store because it is cheaper to buy them from there. And yes I can confirm that each of them were free downloads for PlayStation 5 as a result, especially considering it's been many months since these games were made available on PS5 so you are still entitled to the special deal even if the PS5 version came first and you bought the PS3 version afterwards.

In case you aren't in the know, you can still get a good deal also downloading the PS3 versions for Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, Jumping Flash, The Legend of Dragoon, Toy Story 2, Wild Arms and Wild Arms 2 so that you can get them for free on PS5.

The PS Plus Premium in Europe & Australia reaches its first year anniversary which means more suffering games on their way. PlayStation 5 cloud streaming is also being added for Premium members but this thread will continue to focus on the proper stuff - the classics.

The classics were confirmed via PS Access video rather than the blog.

Herc's Adventures
Originally planned to be exclusive to the SEGA Saturn, this is an overhead Diablo/Zombies Ate My Neighbours type game developed by LucasArts and is published by Disney Interactive Studios for this release. The game was listed on a PS Deals site a month ago so at least it was on-time and not gone for months and beyond like Dino Crisis was. In addition, it was also released on PlayStation 3 as part of the PS One Classics line-up, so you will be able to download the PS4/PS5 versions for free if you've bought it on that console. Like Star Wars Demolition and Toy Story 2, don't expect any trophies for this game.

Killzone Liberation
Another one of Sony's first-party games from the PSP era, this 2006 top-down isometric game was developed by Guerrilla Games and is considered one of the best in the franchise and for the device. Like Syphon Filter and other first-party games, do expect trophy support and may be entitled for a free download if you've bought the game digitally on PSP and Vita.

Worms
Team17's original Worms is also coming to the PlayStation store, which is a surprise given we have two already from the PS Plus Premium launch. This is the 1995 release on PlayStation and like the other two it is expected to be PAL only for all regions. This was also never released on the PS One Classics line-up.

Mentioned but an error as per usual was Coded Soul: Uketsugareshi Idea, a first-party Japan only PSP game developed by Gaia (the same studio who made the PS3 cult-classic Folklore) and Japan Studio. Could be for Japan only but still how many titles do you just randomly mention a game and then retract it.

Last edited:
Sony has revealed their Classics line-up for July which once again consists of three titles.

Gravity Crash Portable
Developed by Just Add Water and published by Sony, this is the PSP version of the multidirectional shooter. The game started on PS3 and was also released on PlayStation Vita.

Twisted Metal
Developed by SingleTrac, this is one of Sony's classic IPs now making a return for the modern platforms ahead of its live-action television series. The first game was released on the original PlayStation back in 1995 and was also brought over to the PlayStation Network as well as the PlayStation Classics device. If you own the game digitally on PlayStation 3 as part of the PS One Classics line-up, you will be able to download the PS4/PS5 versions for free. As this is a Sony first-party title, trophies are expected.

Twisted Metal 2
Also developed by SingleTrac, the second game was released on the original PlayStation back in 1996. If you own the game digitally on PlayStation 3 as part of the PS One Classics line-up, you will be able to download the PS4/PS5 versions for free. Like above, trophies are also expected.

Here's a brief list of Sony first-party developed or published PlayStation 1 titles that could also make an appearance at a later point:
Developed:
  • Arc the Lad (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up)
  • Arc the Lad II + Arc Arena (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up)
  • Arc the Lad III (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up)
  • Jumping Flash! 2 (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up)
  • MediEvil (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up)
  • MediEvil 2
  • Motor Toon Grand Prix (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up)
  • Omega Boost
  • Ore no Ryouri
  • Pocket MuuMuu
  • Um Jammer Lammy (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up)
  • Vib-Ribbon (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up)
Published by in some regions:
  • Aconcagua
  • Armored Core (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up)
  • Bushido Blade (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up in Japan)
  • Crime Crackers (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up in Japan)
  • Dead of Alive (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up in Japan)
  • Devil Dice / XI [sai] Jumbo (also released for PS3's PS One Classics line-up in Japan)
  • Elemental Gearbolt
  • Firebugs
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Love & Destroy
  • Rapid Reload

Sony has revealed their Classics line-up for August which is all PSP focused but intriguing inclusions.

Ape Escape: On the Loose
Another Ape Escape game joins the line-up and this is in fact a 2005 remake of the original PlayStation version which is already available on the PlayStation store. Expect your usual trophies and PSP emulator features here.

MediEvil: Resurrection
Another one of Sony's first-party games and yet again a 2005 remake of the original PlayStation version which is actually available on the PlayStation 4 remake of MediEvil when you complete the game's story. Again, expect your usual trophies and PSP emulator features here.

Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
This is a 2007 sequel to the 2005 PSP game with Bigbig Studios returning to develop. I have heard this game is better than the first so this is a neat addition to the line-up. Expect your usual trophies and PSP emulator features here.

So far here's a round-up of PSP games available on the PS4/PS5 console:
  • Ape Academy 2
  • Ape Escape: On the Loose
  • Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light
  • Coded Soul: Uketsugareshi Idea (Coded Soul -受け継がれしイデア-) [Japan PSN]
  • Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 3: The Video Game
  • Echochrome
  • Echoshift
  • Gravity Crash Portable
  • Key of Heaven / Kingdom of Paradise
  • Killzone: Liberation
  • LocoRoco Midnight Carnival
  • MediEvil: Resurrection
  • No Heroes Allowed!
  • Pinball Heroes
  • Pursuit Force
  • Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
  • Resistance: Retribution
  • Ridge Racers 2 [PS Plus only]
  • Super Stardust Portable
  • Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
  • Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
  • Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth [Not part of PS Plus]
Leaked/rated/rumoured:
  • Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness [Japan PSN]
  • Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny

Two major updates for the classics line-up.

In Taiwan, two Bandai Namco PSP games got rated - Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny and Tekken 6, The former has been known thanks to the PlayStation blog while the latter is an intriguing addition, so we'll see what's next for that in the future.

The other update is that all of the Bandai Namco games that were exclusive to PlayStation Plus Premium (Mr. Driller, Ridge Racer Type-4, Ridge Racers 2, Tekken 2) can now be purchased without a subscription - plus if you have bought the PS1 games on PlayStation 3 you will be able to download them for free.

My PS Plus subscription is due to renew next month and I’m conflicted on keeping the Premium tier, that is unless we’re meant to be getting some really good retro titles in the near future.

My PS Plus subscription is due to renew next month and I’m conflicted on keeping the Premium tier, that is unless we’re meant to be getting some really good retro titles in the near future.
Did you buy your sub through PS Now? I did and for some reason it kept the PS Now price.

There's been no indication of the retro catalogue getting better any time soon, so I wouldn't bother. You can always upgrade your subscription at a later date if the retro offering stops being trash.

After a break due to the focus being on remasters (can't go wrong with Star Ocean), Sony has revealed their next batch of Classics line-up for October which features three PlayStation Portable games and one PlayStation game.

Ape Escape Academy
Yep we once again have yet another Ape Escape game being added to the service, this time it's the first game in the mini-game portable line-up released in 2004. We received the second game earlier in the year which had trophy support so expect this one to do the same.

Kurushi Final: Mental Blocks (I.Q.: Intelligent Qube Final)
The puzzle game returns with the updated 1999 release from PlayStation which makes its digital debut on the modern platform. If you enjoyed the original base game, then you're in for a treat for more puzzle fun. The previous one included trophies so expect this to do the same.

Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
Leaked by Sony's blog last year and recently rated, the Bandai Namco fighting game spin-off is heading to the platform. Released in 2009 by Project Soul, this portable fighting game was notable for featuring God of War's Kratos as a playable character. Now it's not yet known if this game will be PS Plus Premium exclusive or be available for purchase so we won't know until it goes live.

Tekken 6
Recently rated and the next game to get the common approach by Sony (by utilising the portable version than the original PS3 version), the Bandai Namco fighting game was released on PSP back in the day in 2009, a month after its release on PS3 & Xbox. Now supposedly this version was reviewed well, with some mentioning better loading times compared to the original so I suppose we got lucky here. Now it's not yet known if this game will be PS Plus Premium exclusive or be available for purchase so we won't know until it goes live.

So far here's a round-up of PlayStation games available on the PS4/PS5 console:
Highlighted means if you bought them on PS3's store, you can download PS4/PS5 version for free.
  1. Ape Escape
  2. Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue!
  3. Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf)
  4. Everybody's Golf 2 (Hot Shots Golf 2)
  5. Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
  6. Herc's Adventures
  7. Jumping Flash
  8. Kurushi (I.Q: Intelligent Qube)
  9. Kurushi Final (I.Q Final)
  10. The Legend of Dragoon
  11. Mr. Driller
  12. Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
  13. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  14. Resident Evil Director's Cut [PS Plus Exclusive]
  15. Ridge Racer Type-4
  16. Star Wars: Demolition
  17. Syphon Filter
  18. Syphon Filter 2
  19. Syphon Filter 3
  20. Tekken 2
  21. Twisted Metal
  22. Twisted Metal 2 (Twisted Metal: World Tour)
  23. Wild Arms
  24. Wild Arms 2
  25. Worms
  26. Worms Armageddon
  27. Worms World Party
Leaked/rated/rumoured:
  • Dino Crisis
  1. Ape Academy
  2. Ape Academy 2
  3. Ape Escape: On the Loose
  4. Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light
  5. Coded Soul: Uketsugareshi Idea (Coded Soul -受け継がれしイデア-) [Japan PSN]
  6. Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 3: The Video Game
  7. Echochrome
  8. Echoshift
  9. Gravity Crash Portable
  10. Key of Heaven / Kingdom of Paradise
  11. Killzone: Liberation
  12. LocoRoco Midnight Carnival
  13. MediEvil: Resurrection
  14. No Heroes Allowed!
  15. Pinball Heroes
  16. Pursuit Force
  17. Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
  18. Resistance: Retribution
  19. Ridge Racers 2
  20. Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
  21. Super Stardust Portable
  22. Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
  23. Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
  24. Tekken 6
  25. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth [Not part of PS Plus]
Leaked/rated/rumoured:

Good thing they haven't stopped putting out PS1 games yet, though I honestly can't shake the feeling that it'll turn out the same way as the PS2 lineup eventually, given how slow it's been lately, I hope not though as there are a ton of PS1 games that could do with porting, many of which never got a UK release before.

This November we have more Premium games! Two of which are remaster types (Klonoa Phantom Reverie Series and PaRappa the Rapper 2) but below are our traditional retro games making a return.

GRANDIA
One of the biggest surprises for this line-up is the return of the classic JRPG by Game Arts. This is the 1999 version of the game which was released on Sony's PlayStation back in the way, but published in the US by Sony and in the UK by Ubisoft. While this won't be the HD Collection version that Switch owners have, it will receive the same offerings that previous PS1 games have done with the emulator's features. This was also released on PS3's PSN service in the past so there is a good chance a free download may be available for PS4/PS5 users and also a chance of trophy support.

Jet Moto
From the developers of the first two Twisted Metal comes a hover bike sports racing game from Sony's PlayStation back in 1996. This continues the trend of Sony bringing back various games from their IP catalogue and this was another one that was also released on PS3's PSN service in the past so there is a very high chance for not only a free download but also trophy support since its from Sony. I expect the second game (and maybe their first developed game Warhawk) will be added at a later point.

Up
Disney bring back another old Pixar title from the PlayStation Portable catalog onto the service. This will be similar to Toy Story 3, in which the PSP version is different in design compared to the PS3 version. Don't expect any trophies here.

So far here's a round-up of PlayStation games available on the PS4/PS5 console:
Highlighted means if you bought them on PS3's store, you can download PS4/PS5 version for free.
  1. Ape Escape
  2. Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue!
  3. Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf)
  4. Everybody's Golf 2 (Hot Shots Golf 2)
  5. Grandia
  6. Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
  7. Herc's Adventures
  8. Jet Moto
  9. Jumping Flash
  10. Kurushi (I.Q: Intelligent Qube)
  11. Kurushi Final (I.Q Final)
  12. The Legend of Dragoon
  13. Mr. Driller
  14. Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
  15. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  16. Resident Evil Director's Cut [PS Plus Exclusive]
  17. Ridge Racer Type-4
  18. Star Wars: Demolition
  19. Syphon Filter
  20. Syphon Filter 2
  21. Syphon Filter 3
  22. Tekken 2
  23. Twisted Metal
  24. Twisted Metal 2 (Twisted Metal: World Tour)
  25. Wild Arms
  26. Wild Arms 2
  27. Worms
  28. Worms Armageddon
  29. Worms World Party
Leaked/rated/rumoured:
  • Dino Crisis
  1. Ape Academy
  2. Ape Academy 2
  3. Ape Escape: On the Loose
  4. Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light
  5. Coded Soul: Uketsugareshi Idea (Coded Soul -受け継がれしイデア-) [Japan PSN]
  6. Disney/Pixar's Up
  7. Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 3: The Video Game
  8. Echochrome
  9. Echoshift
  10. Gravity Crash Portable
  11. Key of Heaven / Kingdom of Paradise
  12. Killzone: Liberation
  13. LocoRoco Midnight Carnival
  14. MediEvil: Resurrection
  15. No Heroes Allowed!
  16. Pinball Heroes
  17. Pursuit Force
  18. Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
  19. Resistance: Retribution
  20. Ridge Racers 2
  21. Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny [PS Plus Exclusive]
  22. Super Stardust Portable
  23. Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
  24. Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
  25. Tekken 6 [PS Plus Exclusive]
  26. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth [Not part of PS Plus]
Leaked/rated/rumoured:

1700236904826.png

The Taiwanese ratings board have covered a few more classic games from Disney Interactive Studios (which covers Disney, Pixar and Lucasarts titles).

First up, we have Disney/Pixar's Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, a 2000 Sony PlayStation game developed by Traveller's Tales and based on the animated series spin-off from the Toy Story universe. I actually own this for PS1 and it's a pretty tough one to my recollection due to the time limit that's present in a lot of the levels. Having done some research, this game wasn't added to the PS3 so it's a brand new addition to the Classics line-up.

Next we have Thrillville and Thrillville: Off the Rails, a 2006 & 2007 rollercoaster game developed by Frontier Developments (they developed Wallace & Gromit in Project Zoo, Dog's Life, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 & 3, LostWinds, Kinectimals, Elite: Dangerous and Jurassic World Evolution so they have a pretty large variety). Both of these games will be arriving to the Classics line-up from Sony's PlayStation Portable (the first game was released for the device in 2007). Lucasarts published these games but will be under Disney when they are added like Herc's Adventures was.

A mini thread update.

I have updated the PS Classics on PS4/PS5 section with some amended file size values as some games did receive patch updates (for instance right-stick support for Syphon Filter PSP games and a big patch for both The Legend of Dragoon and Wild Arms).

In addition, Sony went back and added trophy support for PSP games Echochrome (which re-uses the PS3 list so no Platinum) and Key of Heaven aka Kingdom of Paradise, which is neat. Jet Moto also supports trophies whilst Grandia does not, as the latter is noted as a third-party title which often don't deal with trophies.

I also want to give you lot a heads up regarding Twisted Metal 1 & 2. Both of these games do qualify for free downloads if you own the PS3 versions but ever since both games were made available on PS4/PS5 it bugged the PS3 store listings so when you purchase the first game it won't recognise that you own it and therefore won't let you purchase the PS4 or PS5 versions. Sony did remove the option to purchase the second game on PS3 likely because of this issue.

Back