PlayStation Retro Discussion (inc. PS3, digital PS1 & PS2 Classics & PS Plus Premium)

I think I will possibly stay with retroarch that does not require me to pay money for games i already own and gives me more options than pay more money for very old games with less options

Legend of Dragoon and Wild Arms 2 are announced to be coming to PS Plus Premium, the latter of which never before got a UK release while the former costs silly odd quid on Ebay last I checked.

Harvest Moon Back to Nature is the other PS1 game announced; might give this one a try as well.

Also the extra lineup is really good if, unlike me, you don't have most of the games on it already lol.

Legend of Dragoon and Wild Arms 2 are announced to be coming to PS Plus Premium, the latter of which never before got a UK release while the former costs silly odd quid on Ebay last I checked.

Harvest Moon Back to Nature is the other PS1 game announced; might give this one a try as well.

Also the extra lineup is really good if, unlike me, you don't have most of the games on it already lol.
It's a really surprisingly selection as well, like I didn't expect both Dragoon and Wild Arms 2 to appear this soon. It's very handy for me because I bought both of them on the PlayStation 3 store so they'll be free to download when they appear.

Since they're also Sony titles, I wonder if Sony is mainly focusing on their own published games before getting the likes of Capcom, Square Enix, and many others to get more involved. We know Dino Crisis is happening though I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to add it for March to coincide with the release of Resident Evil 4 Remake or later down the line for Exoprimal.

Looking at my notes the remaining Sony PS1 games now are Arc the Lad trilogy, Cool Boarders games, Destruction Derby games, Jumping Flash! 2, Motor Toon Grand Prix, Twisted Metal games, Warhawk and if possible UmJammer Lammy and Vib-Ribbon.

Would like to see Kula World make an appearance too.

Not a bad lineup. A chance to play another Horizon game for no extra cost (or maybe just play Elden Ring some more, sorry Horizon) and also Scarlet Nexus too.

The three games are now live on the store.

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature is £4.99 with no trophies, but it is free to download for PS3 PS Classic owners.

The Legend of Dragoon is £7.99 with a Platinum trophy, and it is free to download for PS3 PS Classic owners.

Wild Arms 2 is £7.99 with a Platinum trophy, but currently PS3 PS Classic owners can't yet download for free. My guess is that this is an error, as the first game was free and that this game was never released in Europe previously.

For this month we have Ridge Racer type 4, Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and Ape Academy 2; I might check out Ridge Racer as I did like RR2 PSP that came out for the service back in December, though otherwise nothing sticks out for me this month on Premium like it did last month.

Extra on the other hand.

Last edited:
For this month we have Ridge Racer type 4, Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and Ape Academy 2; I might check out Ridge Racer as I did like RR2 PSP that came out for the service back in December, though otherwise nothing sticks out for me this month on Premium like it did last month.

Extra on the other hand.
Type 4 is my favourite Ridge Racer. It feels like a significantly more complete package than its content-thin predecessors.

Extra on the other hand.
This is another solid month in my opinion. Ridge Racer Type 4 is a classic that I tried for the first time via PlayStation 3, now whether it'll be free to download for buying the PS3's PS Classics version is likely not happening because Bandai Namco are annoying (as seen with Mr Driller and Tekken 2).

And while Syphon Filter PSP is expected, Ape Academy 2 I am curious about and will probably get trophies as well.

Ridge Racer Type 4 is up, but it's subscription-only. No free access for PS3 purchasers and you can't buy it at all. Thanks a bunch, modern gaming.

Yeah Ridge Racer Type-4 being subscription only and unable to purchase/download is due to Bandai Namco. An absolute pain in the neck, and personally a waste of resources keeping it exclusive to the service since it will eventually go away at some point.

I personally don't want to download the UK/EU version when it's probably PAL only (and even if there is an NTSC option, some games had technical issues) and I own the PS3 NTSC version. I am hoping it's just a timed exclusive deal so that it will be available at a later point for purchase like Super Stardust Portable was (which wasn't in a timed deal but was initially exclusive for the first few months of the service).

At least Capcom is willing to allow download-to-own for those who own Resident Evil Director's Cut on PS3 (just to recap for those who missed it, the US owners can't do this because their PS3 Classics version of the game was actually the Dual Shock version whilst the EU PS3 Classics version & what's used for PS4/PS5 is the original non-DS release).

I'm pretty sure RR is Namco to be fair; though it is pretty ridiculous that they're doing this, while I'm all for subscription based gaming as an option, it needs to remain just that, an option.
I guess that would be out of character for Jim "why would anyone want retro games" Ryan

Thanks Bamco

I personally don't want to download the UK/EU version when it's probably PAL only
What beggars belief for me is that for until very recently, Sony have been pushing PAL versions of old games, like, PAL and NTSC only tellies have been out of commision for over a decade and it's only after the very recent pushback that they are finally doing the right thing and offering the option of NTSC versions to us Brits; and that doesn't guarantee that all games will give the option to switch regions; for instance, Toy Story 2 didn't last I checked; though, after doing a bit of research, I've discovered that it is already NTSC to be fair; though I honestly thought it was PAL all this time lol.
I guess that would be out of character for Jim "why would anyone want retro games" Ryan
In fairness Wild Arms 2 and Legend of Dragoon (both Sony IP's) are available for purchase last I checked; this one's currently only on Namco as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the infuriating situation with Ace Combat 5 on PS4 (another Namco franchise). It was supposedly included as a pre-order bonus with Ace Combat 7, and that port has never been made available any other way. I say supposedly because I did pre-order Ace Combat 7 a couple of days before release, but didn't receive a download code for 5, so I'm not certain if that port ever really existed.

After two months, we now have more retro Classics - this time PlayStation Portable gets the attention which is fair given we don't see that much of it. Some interesting picks we have from the Sony published line-up.

Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow
This is the last Syphon Filter game that has been rated and known about throughout the past year. The only Syphon Filter game remaining is the PS2 title The Omega Strain, which will probably be a launch title if Sony plans to bring PS2 classics to the service properly (i.e. a brand new emulator). Like previous games, this one will have trophy support and I presume the analog support will also be available.

Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light
A 2006 Turn-Based RPG developed by Hit Maker (who worked on The Last Rebellion aka that game which NISA apologised for releasing, and Dino Crisis 3 on Xbox). Always nice to see some niche Japanese games especially from the RPG scene make its way onto the service. NIS America published the game for North America also.

Pursuit Force
A 2005 action game developed by Bigbig Studios (MotorStorm: Arctic Edge) and this one might look familiar, especially if you watch MetallJesusRocks or Matt McMuscles on YouTube, but the sequel I believe is the more preferred one from my understanding.

Just renewed my PS+ and dropped from Premium to Extra so I guarantee you they'll announce Dino Crisis for next month!!
You're welcome guys.

Back