Panty and Stocking discs may be defective...

animefreak17 said:
Ummmm I think my copy's ok iv had a look and the eps are all here
Have you watched all of the episodes though? It's not "Episodes 11-13 are missing" it's "Episodes 11-13 have BITS missing".

Joshawott said:
animefreak17 said:
Have you watched all of the episodes though? It's not "Episodes 11-13 are missing" it's "Episodes 11-13 have BITS missing".

I'l give the whole series a watch but I don't know what I'm looking for tho

animefreak17 said:
Joshawott said:
animefreak17 said:

Just Passing Through said:
Manga authored them themselves to get them out quickly, and now Hanners has tweeted that episodes 11, 12, and 13 have missing footage. The episodes stop before the end.

https://twitter.com/Hanners1979

Manga are looking into it...

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/229276812897812480

As far as I understand it the last 3 episodes end around 20-30 seconds early.

From what I understand, Manga authored their Panty & Stocking discs themselves, not because of NTSC and PAL issues, but because they wanted to get the show out in a timely fashion close to the US release, rather than wait for Australia to come up with the masters.

Madman have their P & S release scheduled for the end of October, and quite naturally the UK release would have been at that time or after.

In hindsight, I guess waiting would have been better.

Just Passing Through said:
From what I understand, Manga authored their Panty & Stocking discs themselves, not because of NTSC and PAL issues, but because they wanted to get the show out in a timely fashion close to the US release, rather than wait for Australia to come up with the masters.

Madman have their P & S release scheduled for the end of October, and quite naturally the UK release would have been at that time or after.

In hindsight, I guess waiting would have been better.

Things involving Manga are always better in hindsight (such as buying the R1 dvds in this case).

If nothing else this does explain why a line in the final episode is subtitled as 'Mum?'. I've gotten so used to seeing the ported over American subtitles (particuarly annoyed me in Bamboo Blade when they're discussing the Mega Drive and we get the 'Genesis' translation) that it took me by surprise. Funnily enough because with the American motif of the show, 'Mom' would have fit perfectly.

animefreak17 said:
Joshawott said:
animefreak17 said:

I received the DVD Saturday and then heard of the problems, I thought the same as you that i wouldnt be able to notice it was cut as i didnt know when the episode was meant to end anyway.

But its very easy to see the fault. The episodes get cut off mid sentance, and also dont have any credits to them. So trust, you wont mis it once you get to Episodes 11 to 13.

animefreak17 said:
Congratulations! Your application form for position of Manga quality checker is in the post, welcome to the team :p

I'm honored that you would remember. :lol:

I think where you all went wrong in this first place was buying this show at all, though. >_>

Yeah, I just didn't think it was funny at all, dropped it moderately quickly. Ironically I suppose this could almost take some part in the "potential gateway anime" discussion in another thread.

http://www.facebook.com/mangauk/posts/10151962268085023

Thank you to all of the customers who notified us of technical problems on our recently released DVD box set, Panty And Stocking With Garter Belt.

After investigating the many complaints we received via Twitter and Facebook we have examined the master tapes supplied to us and discovered faults on episodes 11, 12 and 13 of Disc 3. We run a vigorous quality control process at Manga Entertainment and unfortunately in this instance a critical error was made during the mastering process.

On behalf of Manga Entertainment I would like to apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment this has caused you. I know that many of you have been highly anticipating this release for many months and it is deeply regretful that you have received an inferior quality product.

Manga will be re-authoring both Discs 2 and 3 of the P&S set and creating all new stock. We will re-release the DVD soon, but an exact release date cannot be confirmed at this stage.

In the mean time we advise any customer who is unhappy with their purchase to return it to the point of purchase for a refund or credit. It is my hope that we shall have a brand new and flawless DVD release of Panty and Stocking available online and on-shelf at all good retailers by the end of September.

Please stay tuned for more information as it comes to hand. Thank you again for your patience and support.
Jerome Mazandarani,
Head of marketing and acquisitions,
Manga Entertainment LTD.

I assume there's a typo in there somewhere regarding the discs, but having to redo disc 2 as well sucks for them. I winced reading it; hopefully this presumably expensive error will improve quality control going forwards.

R

Japan's not everyone's best friend at the moment...

But anyway glad to see that this will be resolved and I will once again look forward to purchasing P&S when the time comes.

mangaman74 said:
I thought only disc 3 was faulty. What was wrong with disc 2 that meant it needed re-authoring as well?

The Outtakes on Disc 2 were just over 5 minutes long and cut off in midword.

The same outtakes on the US release run to 16 minutes.

I really don't think it was Japan's fault here. For one thing the US release is perfectly fine, and for another it seems implausible nobody at Manga UK watched their own masters of their own show even once in the entire PAL conversion and authoring process. I presume he means the PAL masters they made or the DVD image they received from their authoring company or something.

I wonder if the BBFC were sent a truncated version of the last few episodes..?

Japan's just an easy target for every possible problem since the Japanese companies will never read or respond to anything published in the western world. People can blame the Japanese side for everything and get away with it because everyone already knows they are protective and difficult to negotiate with.

(If I were MangaUK I'd stick those disc 2 outtakes on the fixed disc 3s to save some cash, though :()

R

Heck, they might as well go back and reauthor all three discs while their at it. A product recall like this basically means taking the current print run and pulping the lot. They aren't going to go through 1000 boxes, rescue all the disc 1s and put them with the new discs 2 and 3 into the old packaging and rewrap, or into new packing...

They'll dump the whole lot, buried in the desert like a load of Atari cartridges, and print off a whole new batch with all new packing.

If they've got the time, they can go back and get things right. There are a few niggles with all three discs, which while they aren't faults, are annoyances, not least of which is that none of the episodes are chaptered. Skipping just takes you to the next episode.

I have some sympathy for Manga though, they'll have lost a five figure sum on this, but in terms of customer relations, it's the least they can do.

Back