[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Doremi? KSM claimed once that they may license further seasons of Doremi if the first sold well enough.
They have answered outright, that no further seasons are coming. (I asked somebody registered on facebook to ask them there.) That was a week or so ago. They probably aren't going to put Doremi on BD in the future either, as SD on BD is not a thing here.
So I'd assume, it's probably fairly dead, whereas Gintama is still somewhat pending.
(I never expected them to ever dubbed the other seasons, still hoped for sub-only if sales went good enough, but I guess sub-only for a show that's targeted at younger audiences if probably even more unfeasible.)

Well: The mentioned the option when preorders for the first DVD Box started - before they knew that it's impossible to reach these numbers.
SDBD? KSM offers several of those (without a warning that it's SD only), but not for Shoujo-series.

Sub-only? Translation + License + Censorship Fees

Do you mean those Digimon steelbook BDs?
Well, it's what they said about SDBDs, no idea how true it is. I know there were a couple out there for oldies like Lady Oscar (I think?), but I haven't tried any SDBD myself so far either.

Digimon was HD, but not the best masters...

SDBD? Naruto (+ the first Seasons of Shippuden), some Nippon Animation Classics, Lady Oscar and Captain Tsubasa.
+ Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Masters (several SDBD volumes still pending)

I would totally be going for Spanish, Italian, Portuguese or whatever edition, if it contained the Japanese audio. Don't even need subs. I watched the later seasons in japanese raw back in the day anyway.
But looks really like I have to get the japanese releases. Wonder if there is any info out on the quality of the BD boxes...

Gintama sold poor - so unless the TV-station orders more episodes I wouldn't expect more.

KSM Germany also licensed the new 50-episode Layton Anime.
(Can't imagine any profit without support of a TV-station for this)

If KSM knew how to price their items it would probably have done better. One does not sell a x-cour show at such price per volume. This is not Naruto.

If KSM knew how to price their items it would probably have done better. One does not sell a x-cour show at such price per volume. This is not Naruto.
Do you mean to say the price was too high or too low?

But regardless, I don't think the price of the release would have made that much of a diffrence either way. The manga also sells poorly and the manga is still normally priced. (Tokyopop did raise it from 6.5 to 6.95, but that raise is more reflective on the average price of manga that isn't a super seller. Even bestseller Detective Conan got raised from 5 to 6.5 to reflect rising average prices at some point.)
It's just that this show really makes it not easy to get into at the beginning. (There is a reason it took me 5 years and 5 tries to get into it.)

I wonder if anybody will ever fill up the rest of the first two series anywhere. Sentai stopped exactly were KSM or the Italian release stopped as well. Funi/CR jumped over right into series 3. The rest remains Japan-only in terms of physical media as far as I could track anything down. If nobody does, that's another couple of 300€ boxes on my list. =/

KSM charged around 5€ per episode (65€ for 13 episodes), which is at least lower than the average 7-10€ for other series.
But the main problem is: Unless you can co-finance the dub with a TV-station (or maybe Netflix), you can't go much lower :(
(You'd need to sell very high numbers - but if the show was that popular, you wouldn't have problems to get a TV- or Netflix-deal)

A German or English dub costs at least 5.000€/$ per episode, but as the English dub can be sold in more areas it reaches way higher numbers. That's why an English dub doesn't affect sales prices that much.
(And rembember: Gintama didn't sell well in the US and remains unavaiable in most other markets)

I don't know how it works in France (where the sales are low, despite the lower prices), but in Spain a publisher argued that the whole dub for Magical Girl Raising Project would be only 5.450€ (for 12eps x 24min, incl authoring)

@Lambadelta:
Not only you. The spanish announcement on Crunchy was misspelled :D

I'm not getting that with the title. If it's not "The Prince of Smiles" what is it then? It's on the picture and even Sentai calls it so in the tweet text. oo"
KSM charged around 5€ per episode (65€ for 13 episodes), which is at least lower than the average 7-10€ for other series.
Actually it's wasn't even that hard to get the volumes for about 40 at release time.

Franxx is in AUS as a LE in May (and SE)
Also Chaos Child and Citrus, GiTs SAC, FMP IV, LLS s2,Phantom world,both rezero parts same day now, YAMATO AUS HAS YAMATO

Madman’s slate Madman B2B » Catalogue » In stores May
Franxx is in AUS as a LE in May (and SE)
Also Chaos Child and Citrus, GiTs SAC, FMP IV, LLS s2,Phantom world,both rezero parts same day now, YAMATO AUS HAS YAMATO

Madman’s slate Madman B2B » Catalogue » In stores May
nice wil get franxx and rezero

Back