[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Funimation's December 2017 release slate has been revealed. 3 Crunchyroll titles are coming out plus 1 limited edition release.

Info on on-disc extras are scarce at the moment so I focused on just showing the main titles and will update later on the rest of the info. Everything else (regions, dates, cover art) are all there.

& yet again

abda4407fd8b0eac14281f1faec1ae19954b7721_hq.gif

Ah well, one day it'll be there (I hope...)
Biggest shock of that line-up? The lack of a collectors edition for Love Live Sunshine.

Riddle story of devil is still DVD only in the US. I can't see AL doing their own blu ray discs for a series that obviously didn't do that well... possible change to DVD only here maybe?

Maybe some D Gray-Man, but I'm not 100% if I should grab any UK of that to match my existing sets. Otherwise nothing of note, looks like a quiet December for me to pick up some stuff in the Rightstuf sale it seems.

Pretty ehh month, probably just pick up Dragonar and D Grayman. Glad it is an ehh month tbh so much released this back of the end of the year so fortunately nothing too tempting from FUNi to round off the year.

Don't both of us in the UK & AUS companies use masters from the US? & don't DVD's outsell Blu-Ray's here? .. :S

Australia for the most part usually create their own authors to be honest.

UK however in recent years we've been using more of the US master than AU with some exceptions.

Plus, DVDs are way too expensive for UK distributors to author so there's no point in them now. I would rather have the UK go straight into Blu-ray only (like Anime Limited are doing with subtitled only shows).

Hmmm..It forces me to feel a little concerned about the likes of MVM. It's likely that I'm just overthinking it all tbf but a little company like them being forced to go primarily Blu-Ray (sure they get other titles but it's mainly Sentai) sets off alarm bells.

Honestly? This is great news. BDs (generally speaking, not anime specifically) and BD players are cheap enough now to where I don't see the point in having DVDs around anymore, they are far past sell by date. HD is the norm and has been for almost a decade, it's time to move on. I applaud Sentai for having the stones to do so.

Very interesting. I've been expecting this for a while with LEs as DVDs were a bit of an anomaly with streaming filling the gap for low income fans already and the number of people wanting the best possible edition without the (ideally) best possible quality presumably dwindles over time. We're always a little behind the curve but hopefully this won't hit the UK companies too hard; Australia will likely help absorb the blow for some.

DVD's region arrangement has presented unique problems with the UK too as AL and Manga have mentioned before. Really niche stuff should be fine as it will still get a DVD anyway but maybe this will hurt genres like the female-orientated shows MVM puts out. They're often getting BDs in the US now but are still niche over here. Hoping for more shared production plans so our companies can support one another.

R

A good move especially since DVD masters will still be favored when appropriate (something Nozomi aren't doing). My hope is this will help people finally upgrade as well as help free up funds for more releases etc

D-D-D-D-D-D-DISCOTEK DAY

21743185_1828590400503379_6842286890056525123_n.jpg

All of the following are due for December:
  • Barefoot Gen is coming to Blu-ray. Includes both films. Dub & Sub for Movie 1, Sub for Movie 2.
  • Yowamushi Pedal the Movie is coming to Blu-ray & DVD combo pack. Sub.
  • Photon the Idiot Adventures is coming to DVD. Dub & Sub.
  • Lupin the Third Part II Collection 2. Episodes 41-79. Dub & Sub.

Great news. DVD needs to die. I'll support back to N-1 generation wise and seeing as current gen is 4K as a collector who always wants the highest quality that is what I will always go for. If that isn't available then Blu-Ray is acceptable. DVD is to me what VHS was when BD came out.

I can't recall any mainstream 4k release not being triple play, so the only legitimate excuse not to pick up the 4k version is price even if you don't have a player. (because you want to future proof right?). Hopefully once the 4k catalogue grows a bit we'll see enough special offers and price drops to encourage more people to dip that way.

The space savings alone added up over a large collection like I've amassed would probably be measured in the cubic meters compared to if it was all DVD's.

Strangely I wouldn't have been opposed to an extended period of double play DVD+BD from the Anime distributors. But dropping DVD altogether works too.

Back