[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Going by the titles on the BBFC website, The first 2 series (or about ~90 episodes) have already been rated by the BBFC when MVM released them, so if MVM or anyone else wanted to pick it up, they wouldn't have to rerate I don't think. There is a new dub, so I'm unsure how that would change things, but there is definitely a rating for a good chunk of episodes already. I think those 2 series would be enough to gage interest in releasing the rest of the franchise.

MVM released the DIC English edited version. It was the butchered Sailor Moon, and probably why it didn't sell to anime fans. If someone released the original Japanese version, that it will be re-rated.

I'd be very surprised if MVM ever touch sailor moon again. Disc sales are even lower these days and it's till a risk due to the size of the series regardless of if it's rated or not. The only publisher I could see putting it out would be Manga and I'm sure I read somewhere Jerome hated Sailor Moon so that won't happen either.

I figure there must be at least some Sailor Moon fan base in the UK. HMV have posters, mugs, pins and other merch. I figure there must be some demand for a UK release.

Sailor Moon was huge back in the day, even I'd watch it on TV, the franchise still has cache in the UK when it comes to merchandise but has been mismanaged when it comes to home video releases. The 90's are in big time and the aesthetic of Sailor Moon resonates strongly with these people. Home video sales are dwindling and the anime market continues to shrink as distributors preach to the choir so I understand the reluctance, I just feel like this reality was a case of a self-fulfilling prophecy and the distros are reaping what they sow.

I probably wouldn't buy Sailor Moon on disc, but I would try watching it if I could stream it legally in the UK. How likely is that to happen?

I'd be interested to see what the sets look like. I might sell my Viz sets depending on reviews. Would like to see the series get a UK release too.
You should sell the Viz sets and buy Madman's just for the upgrade to the video from the Japanese BDs.

Sentai Filmworks' release of Beyond the Boundary's Limited Edition is officially out of print. That means access to the Daybreak OVA is now gone from the North American release.

December 2017 release slate revealed for Sentai Filmworks. Only new release is New Theatrical Movie Initial D 1: Awakening which also includes an English dub.

The Familiar of Zero and To-Love Ru are expected to have re-authored discs due to increased disc count on the cover art. Previous releases both suffered from Sentai's daft 1 disc system.

Psyched about the Initial D movie getting a dub, I was unaware if that had been announced. I think these rereleases are a nice thing, good space savers. Though given Sentai's Collector Edition frenzy of late I'm surprised titles like Clannad and Higurashi haven't been considered.

If you're referring to the re-release of Clannad and Higurashi I've had an email from the Sentai Shop with preorder info on the complete Clannad/After Story and Higurashi/Kai/Rei sets due for release in December

If you're referring to the re-release of Clannad and Higurashi I've had an email from the Sentai Shop with preorder info on the complete Clannad/After Story and Higurashi/Kai/Rei sets due for release in December

Yeah but they are just normal releases. No sign of any collector editions which given the fanbase for those shows seems like a weird oversight almost. I wouldn't want them personally but I know plenty would certainly be interested in a CE for both of those franchises.

Yeah but they are just normal releases. No sign of any collector editions which given the fanbase for those shows seems like a weird oversight almost. I wouldn't want them personally but I know plenty would certainly be interested in a CE for both of those franchises.

Higurashi won't happen at least. They seem to only focus on shows that have dubs. Higurashi flopped when it came out under Geneon so it was too much of a risk for them, same with Familiar of Zero.

Clannad though I was hoping would get a LE but it doesn't seem like they will bother, now I'm debating on whether to pickup After Story (as I have Season 1) or just wait for this re-release in case they re-author it or not.

Back