[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

I spotted on ANN in the discussion thread about Sentai's announcement (I think after it was the focus of an Answerman column) that Justin Sevakis has already chipped in on the matter, describing current software options as 'buggy but usable' - or something to that effect.
He only mentioned Macs though! We penguin aficionados are still left, quite literally, to our own devices.

I spotted on ANN in the discussion thread about Sentai's announcement (I think after it was the focus of an Answerman column) that Justin Sevakis has already chipped in on the matter, describing current software options as 'buggy but usable' - or something to that effect. .

He said that many of the popular authoring tools for DVDs have been discontinued meaning they don't work properly on newer operating systems, which is why he keeps an old mac around for authoring DVDs

I tend to notice a £10 - £15 price difference when I go shopping for discs online (which I haven't done properly all year.) In real terms for me, that's been the difference between picking up certain shows or not. It's enough of a margin for me to kill some impulse purchases. So in that sense, I do think asking price is a factor. Perhaps it's the cynic in me saying this, but I certainly don't see anime on Blu Ray becoming CHEAPER at any point.
I can see Blu ray getting cheaper (in fact it already did), but whether Anime does, will depent on that niche (and the country). And probably the title. And to my observation mostly the publisher (and packaging). The publisher diffrences easily make up to 200USD, so the BD upgrade kind of becomes peanuts against that. Usually those felt around the 3-5€ treshold for less pricy publishers, when I factor shipping into it. It does make a weight and size diffrence if it's 6 discs or just 3 + the paper is smaller + chipboxes/slips are smaller + less cases. (Which is why sentai's DVD sized CE's that even adds all that merchandise stuff are just absolutely horrible for shipping fees. Not to mention storage space. And not to mention you can't removed the DVD part without it looking bad with that hole inside. x.x) In a way I am glad that combos for digipacks and chipboxsets will be gone then. Combos in simple amarays like Funi's are really pretty fine, but combos in digipacks either look bad with the DVDs removed or I'm irked over the useless deadweight. I really like the Funi-Combos, since I actually make full use of them, but from an overall ecological perspective it's certainly better they will be gone, when anybody else really is just keeping them as dust gatherers for completition's sake.

But my best wishes for the near future are for some usuability upgrades. Sometimes the menu hangs onto me and overjumping ads/companylogo/FBI warning doesn't really work all that well either. And me really wants a player with accelation playback feature without cutting out the sound. Not every streaming service is using an html5 player yet, and those services are a major clutter for titles availability in my region, too, so not the most viable replacement for my way of watching blind tryouts. (Plus streaming versions are always of worse prodution quality than home video versions.)

I can see Blu ray getting cheaper (in fact it already did), but whether Anime does, will depent on that niche (and the country). And probably the title. And to my observation mostly the publisher (and packaging).

I think you pretty much answered that question right there.

I don't see the asking price of anime dropping in the foreseeable. We're talking about a niche industry where the cost of doing business is reportedly astronomical.

TL;DR - don't hold your breath on that one.

Funi NYCC announcements:
  • Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is coming to Blu-ray & DVD combo in standard and limited edition sets sometime in 2018. English dub cast will be revealed soon.
  • Keijo!!!!!!!! is coming to Blu-ray & DVD combo in standard and limited edition sets on February 6th 2018.
  • My-Hime & My-Otome series comes to Blu-ray & DVD combo on January 8th 2018. This is part of the long delayed Sunrise package deal. The set will also include My-Otome O~S.ifr~ and My-Otome Zwei.
  • To the surprise of no one, Funimation have acquired the third season of My Hero Academia.

What a coincidence. There I just snagged mai hime's Japanese bd box from eBay and it's getting announced. Hopefully Zegapain will come next.

3ZiEWsw.gif

Crunchyroll x Funimation's January 2018 Release Slate is now here, which includes the first seasons of Attack on Trains and CLANG!

Man that Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress LE artwork looks weird to me. I mean I wasn't exactly a big fan of the show but it was kinda pretty so surely there's something better than that to use?

Last edited:
Guess I should of expected Hime and Otome to come in 3 sets, though I did hope it might be 2 (could of been worse and been 4 I suppose). I assume we are looking at upscales for them?

Guess I should of expected Hime and Otome to come in 3 sets, though I did hope it might be 2 (could of been worse and been 4 I suppose). I assume we are looking at upscales for them?

They are upscales I'm pretty sure but they also look quite good. I think they got the same treatment that the likes of Eureka Seven, FMA 2003 and Scrapped Princess got wherein a film grain was applied and the Upscale has no smearing on the lines etc.

Here is some screens I took of Mai Otome from the JPN BD. These are 1080p screenshots.

iyz5kKV.png

q8xKjvw.png

sbblNPT.png

giLpbdG.png

In these closeup shots the line detail is really nice and the backgrounds are also pretty detailed. Sure there is a softness to everything but it's solid enough.

Sentai Filmworks

Clannad: Complete Seasons 1-2 [Blu-ray]
SRP: $149.98
Episodes: 49
Audio: English & Japanese audio with English subtitles

Disc 1: Season 1 Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 2: Season 1 Episodes 10-18 (225 min)
Disc 3: Season 1 Episodes 19-24 (150 min)
Disc 4: Season 2 Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 5: Season 2 Episodes 10-18 (225 min)
Disc 6: Season 2 Episodes 19-24 (175 min)

Special Features: Commentary; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon: Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
SRP: $99.98
Episodes: 25

Disc 1: Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 2: Episodes 10-18 (225 min)
Disc 3: Episodes 19-25 (175 min)
Disc 4: Extras

Special Features: Special Interview by Momoka!; Japanese Commercials; Cross Ange Talk Show; Music Videos; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

The Familiar of Zero: Complete Seasons 1-4 [Blu-ray]
SRP: $129.98
Episodes: 50
Audio: English (Season 1 only) & Japanese audio with English subtitles

Disc 2: Season 1 Episodes 10-13 (100 min)
Disc 3: Season 2 Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 4: Season 2 Episodes 10-12 (75 min)
Disc 5: Season 3 Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 6: Season 3 Episodes 10-13 (100 min)
Disc 7: Season 4 Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 8: Season 4 Episodes 10-13 (75 min)

Special Features: Extended Episode Previews; Japanese Promos; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Hakkenden -Eight Dogs of the East-: Complete Seasons 1-2 [Blu-ray]
Episodes: 25

Disc 1: Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 2: Episodes 10-13 (100 min)
Disc 3: Episodes 14-22 (225 min)
Disc 4: Episodes 23-26 (100 min)

Special Features: Japanese Commentaries; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

The Squid Girl: Complete Seasons 1-2 & OVAs [Blu-ray]
Episodes: 27

Disc 2: Season 1 Episodes 10-12 (75 min)
Disc 3: Season 2 Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 4: Season 2 Episodes 10-12 (75 min)
Disc 5: OVA Episodes 1-3 (75 min)

Special Features: Japanese Promos & Commentaries; Mini Squid Girl Short Stories; I Th-INK That's English!? Clean Version Short; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

To-Love Ru: Complete Seasons 1-4 [Blu-ray]
Episodes: 64
Audio: Japanese audio with English subtitles

Disc 2: Season 1 Episodes 10-18 (225 min)
Disc 3: Season 1 Episodes 19-26 (200 min)
Disc 4: Season 2 Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 5: Season 2 Episodes 10-12 (75 min)
Disc 6: Season 3 Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 7: Season 3 Episodes 10-12 (75 min)
Disc 8: Season 4 Episodes 1-9 (225 min)
Disc 9: Season 4 Episodes 10-14 (125 min)

Special Features: Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

When They Cry: Complete Seasons 1-3 [Blu-ray]
Episodes: 55
Audio: English (Season 1 only) & Japanese audio with English subtitles

Disc 1: Season 1 Episodes 1-8 (200 min)
Disc 2: Season 1 Episodes 9-15 (175 min)
Disc 3: Season 1 Episodes 16-21 (150 min)
Disc 4: Season 1 Episodes 22-26 (125 min)
Disc 5: Season 2 Episodes 1-5 (125 min)
Disc 6: Season 2 Episodes 6-13 (200 min)
Disc 7: Season 2 Episodes 14-21 (200 min)
Disc 8: Season 2 Episodes 22-24 (75 min)
Disc 9: Season 3 Episodes 1-6 (150 min)

Season 2's technical issue may be fixed with this release.

Special Features: Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Back