[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Or they're just anticipating a major change to the market because they know something we don't.
Funimation broke up with Crunchyroll and released subbed versions of the new "Fruits Basket"-Trailer in several languages.
They also revealed in Autumn, that they intend to expand in other regions - what may, or may not affect the abilities of local publishers to get new simulcast series.

Funimation May 2019 round-up

New Additions:
Chio's School Road
DARLING in the FRANXX Part 2
Junji Ito Collection
Kakuriyo Bed & Breakfast For Spirits Part 1
Katana Maidens Part 2
My Hero Academia Season 3 Part 1 (limited edition available)
Tokyo Ghoul:re Part 1

Added to Essentials:
Eden of the East
Gonna Be the Twin-Tail!!
Guilty Crown
Jormungand
Kamisama Kiss 2
Lucky Star
Maken-Ki! Two
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
Yuri Kuma Arashi

There isn’t one listed on RS, unless they intend on adding it later. Maybe Root A didn’t sell well so they didn’t bother this time around. I wonder if AL’s (eventual) release will be standard only too.

Funimation broke up with Crunchyroll and released subbed versions of the new "Fruits Basket"-Trailer in several languages.
They also revealed in Autumn, that they intend to expand in other regions - what may, or may not affect the abilities of local publishers to get new simulcast series.
Funimation has been pointing out they've been trying to reach wider audience for years. It was written on Funimation Now at some point. The CR catalog is out of reach for FUNimation anyway so it shouldn't justify such licence rush. It should also be noted that Kazé (=ViZ) shouldn't be startled by FUNimation, they've got offices in a lot of countries around the world and as much credits as FUNi to the japanese licensors. It's possibly something in the German market. In the last two years the cards have been redistributed amongst the different publishers there.

Don't overestimate the Anime division of VIZ:
Their German branch looks healthy for me - but their French anime branch seems having some trouble (e.g. no planned releases on Planning ). Others? Not even worth mentioning...

It's hard for a local publisher to compete, if a larger publisher asks for e.g. worldwide (ex Asia) rights.

The French market is difficult for all distributors. Even ATA which had a steady flow previously is starting to have blank spaces in the release schedules (also all theirs recent titles are from CR). Unlike Funimation, ViZ (which you seem to have forgotten that they do sometime take worldwide rights) has ties with many smaller distributors (Dynit, Manga UK to mention a few). They will always manage to have a show released in the markets they bought the right for (sublicence or themselves) while CR or Funi won't (no distributors seems to be able to get CR shows in Italy for some obscure reasons for example but I suspect it's because the company which owns them or work with are direct competitors with CR). I can't see how Funimation will have more success than Universal in Europe tho. I'm tempted to believe FUNi will start to expand their digital activities first before entering any physical market.

If they do enter the global market for physical rights, this will start to look like ADV and Geneon all over again. And we know how those two ended.

Last edited:
@SpaceDandy :
It's uncommon for VIZ to bid on worldwide rights, at least for Anime. Maybe Jojo (unreleased in Germany) or One Punch Man, but most if not all are only avaiable in selected regions.

The Italian Market? It's the smallest European market, even smaller than the Spanish...

The italian market is the smallest? Nah, don't think so. Distributors like Dynit don't have too much trouble selling a thousand copies of limited edition, french publishers usually struggle to reach those numbers for anything recently released.

eu2018-HC42.png

Hours of dubbed anime released on DVD/BD by country in 2018
excluding dubs commissioned by Netflix and TV stations

There is no really reliable source for sales numbers. Some rumored numbers might be wrong, as independend researchers (e.g. GfK) don't include numbers from Amazon or shops directly operated by Anime-publishers.

But take a look what was released in Italy: Tokyo Ghoul: re, My Hero Academia, Kill la Kill, Fate UBW, Attack on Titan S2, Gun Gale Online
There were a few movies, but no other series (ok: sub-only, dvd-only Nisekoi)

Food Wars? Overlord? Danmachi? Assassination Classroom?
Licensed - but as far as I know currently no DVD/BD planned. Same for dozens of other smaller titles.

Back