New Beez Anime Legends Releases

HdE said:
Just out of curiosity - has ANYONE on this board actually picked up an Anime Legends box set at RRP?
Has anyone ever bought any DVD or BD at RRP? Not even physical shops sell video discs at full RRP.

Crazy. Don't recall ever seeing anything in my local HMVs for those kind of prices. It still beggars belief that they undercut their own retail shops online. Wouldn't you equalise prices to make people shop instore again? Unless they don't want people to shop inshore anymore as it's less profitable, which makes you wonder why they don't just shut all their retail stores down. Everyone has a smart phone these days, so surely anyone with half a brain will check online prices before they buy of the shelf and see they can knock at least a fiver off by ordering online?

ayase said:
Crazy. Don't recall ever seeing anything in my local HMVs for those kind of prices. It still beggars belief that they undercut their own retail shops online. Wouldn't you equalise prices to make people shop instore again? Unless they don't want people to shop inshore anymore as it's less profitable, which makes you wonder why they don't just shut all their retail stores down. Everyone has a smart phone these days, so surely anyone with half a brain will check online prices before they buy of the shelf and see they can knock at least a fiver off by ordering online?

They may well be soon shutting them down =P Their ever increasing debt is edging HMV closer to going into administration.

ayase said:
Online shops have more stock than local shops. For example, if the wholesale price for an Anime Legends release is £10, then the online would sell it for £15 and be getting £5 profit per sale. Whereas the local sells it for £25 and gets £15 profit. If the online sells 2,500 and the local sells 25, then..

Online: 2500 x £5 = £12,500
Local: 25 x £15 = £375

The local shop would get a lot less profit because less people buy from them, even if the price goes up by £10.

Paradox295 said:
ayase said:
Online shops have more stock than local shops. For example, if the wholesale price for an Anime Legends release is £10, then the online would sell it for £15 and be getting £5 profit per sale. Whereas the local sells it for £25 and gets £15 profit. If the online sells 2,500 and the local sells 25, then..

Online: 2500 x £5 = £12,500
Local: 25 x £15 = £375

The local shop would get a lot less profit because less people buy from them, even if the price goes up by £10.

I'm pretty sure the cost is higher due to overheads, not stock. Stores require staffing, lighting, heating etc. Online shops require none of that, just a big ol' warehouse which is how the stores get stocked anyways, the only cost incurred is that of web-related and shipping costs.

What Sparrowsabre said. I get that it costs more to run a retail business (I have experience of doing so) but I don't get why HMV doesn't subsidise it's store prices with the profits it makes from the online side of the business. Presuming of course that they want their retail stores to keep going.

ayase said:
Has anyone ever bought any DVD or BD at RRP? Not even physical shops sell video discs at full RRP.
They certainly used to and I have. Used to be that most anime discs cost £19.99 each and they were very rarely discounted - when I first started buying anime DVDs the only way to get it for less than RRP was using MVC's £1 membership discount. I distinctly remember the shock when Virgin had a huge sale which actually included a a number of ADV titles like Boogiepop Phamtom, Noir and Rahxephon.

Shiroi Hane said:
ayase said:
They certainly used to and I have. Used to be that most anime discs cost £19.99 each and they were very rarely discounted - when I first started buying anime DVDs the only way to get it for less than RRP was using MVC's £1 membership discount. I distinctly remember the shock when Virgin had a huge sale which actually included a a number of ADV titles like Boogiepop Phamtom, Noir and Rahxephon.

Ah the good old MVC membership - a good way to get money off the RRP back in the day. I once got the Hellsing TV Series Collection for around £15 from MVC when it was first released - I think it had a RRP of around £60 at the time.

That wasn't a discount, they mis-priced it (I got a copy too and told a friend who rushed over. I considered getting a couple but thought it might look suspicious..)

In the early part of the last decade I found myself at HMV in Oxford Street. Not in the best frame of mind having recently gone through a difficult time, I suffered temporary insanity and took to the checkout all three Bubblegum Crisis and both Oh My Goddess discs. A hundred quid on some of the worst looking DVDs my eyes have ever been offended by.

Some people turn to alcohol, others to drugs. I comfort buy :-|

fabricatedlunatic said:
In the early part of the last decade I found myself at HMV in Oxford Street. Not in the best frame of mind having recently gone through a difficult time, I suffered temporary insanity and took to the checkout all three Bubblegum Crisis and both Oh My Goddess discs. A hundred quid on some of the worst looking DVDs my eyes have ever been offended by.

"Anime is my Anti-Drug. When you got anime, you don't got drugs" :lol:

Paradox295 said:
"Anime is my Anti-Drug. When you got anime, you don't got drugs" :lol:[/quote]

It's true!

Why, I don't even have a single paracetamol in the house. And my head is KILLING ME!!!

Anime pretty much is a hallucinogen in its own right =P Just one viewable from a distance and less likely to have damaging effects on your health (note I said LESS likely :p)

The whining and bleating about prices, holy ****.

Either way, please more details on Gundam stuffs instead of shows that people should already have bought, thanks.

Lawrence said:
ilmaestro said:
The whining and bleating about prices, holy ****.

Either way, please more details on Gundam stuffs instead of shows that people should already have bought, thanks.

True, is suppose even if we pay an extra five/ten quid, were still only paying about the same as the Americans and still far lest than the Japs.

I have to admit though, the more you like a series, less likely you are to complain about it costing an extreme amount, one supposes.

Truth. I was willing to fork out £60 for Code Geass. Fortunately r2 which I didn't like as much wascomparitively cheaper.

Back