New Beez Anime Legends Releases

If I can get it cheap enough (i.e. cheaper than that listing) I might pick up the TTGL set to replace my sub-only R1 DVDs. The dub would give me a decent enough reason to re-watch it.

Noo I own all of these already :(

My TTGL is sub only too, but I'm not going to buy the dub.

R

Sweeeeet! Already won the first volumes of TTGL and Code Geass in their contest a year or so back, but gonna pick up the AL sets cos they're cheaper than finishing the volumes >_<

I'll be getting TTGL and Code Geass for sure. I'd been waiting for box sets.

Already have PlanetES, the two 3-disc sets. One of my early anime purchases and totally worth it.

Planetes is a pass for me as I already own it. As for Code Geass and Gurren Lagann - HELL YEAH! Bring 'em, ON!

EDIT: Ah. Just noticed the prices.

Hurrm. Not so impressed now.

Got, got and got.

I'm with Hokum, buy Planetes if you have some spare cash, it's a great series.

To be fair HdE, those two are pretty recent releases and probably cost a fortune to license and stuff. Also now that Andrew is gone Beez don't really seem to want to know us fans as much any more.

We-e-eell...

It's good to see these shows surface on the AL label, no two ways about it. But I do feel that they could be priced a bit more astutely.

Yes, these have been comparatively recent offerings, and I've no doubt that the cost of putting out DVD box sets has risen along with everything else in this economic climate.

But here's what rankles with me: We recently saw the Outlaw Star box set show up in online listings with a similar price tag. Seems more understandable on account of the show not having had a UK DVD release before, hence the costs likely involved. Licensing, PAL conversion, BBFC fees, etc.

Both these shows have been through that mill once before, and the prices don't compare favourably with similar titles in the Legends line. By 'similar', I mean shows like Wolf's Rain, Gundam SEED, and Escaflowne, which have already had a UK release via Beez. Even factoring online discounts into the deal there's a jump in price of about £7 - 8 from those box sets. Held up alongside Outlaw Star's price, the difference is just £2 - 3.

I make these observations about pricing and RRP quite a bit, I know. But it's not simply to grouse. It's because I feel a trick is possibly being missed.

A complete TV series or 25 episodes for fifteen quid, as we saw with the initial Anime Legends releases (and once again, factoring in online discounts) represents AWESOME value - and the sort of deal that might persuade someone to lay money down on a show out of curiosity. These sets - not so much. Gurren Lagann, for example, I have only been mildly curious about. It was a 'must buy' for me when the Legends set came out. Now it isn't.

At this point, I'd REALLY like to know what necessitates the extra on the asking price. Because with re-issued anime, cheaper prices seem like better business sense, as well as being more charitable to the fans, which is a neat by-product.

I don't expect these sets to be 'cheap' as much as I'd like them to be 'affordable'. This kind of price hike tarnishes the brand's 'value for money' reputation, in my opinion.

Not wishing to slam Beez, but there it is.

I still don't see how anyone can complain about 6 or 7 disc sets for £23. Still seems like a great deal, especially for such popular and recent shows. I'd be happy to pay £15 for a 3 disc set, so this is still a bargain in my eyes.

*kicks down door* I was told there was new Ani-
WHERE IS GUNDAM 00!!!

Damn you Andrew!
DAMN YOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU AAAAAAAAAAAAAANDREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW! =P

I agree that £22 for TTGL is entirely reasonable. I mean come on that's less than a single volume of it costed and less than £1 per episode. It's still a steal!

King Jimmeh said:
I still don't see how anyone can complain about 6 or 7 disc sets for £23.

Just to clarify (read: 'repeat myself') That IS a good deal. But as I stated above it doesn't compare favourably with other prior releases in the range that were released under (I assume) similar circumstances. When you can also buy a 7 or 8 disc set (Wolf's Rain, Escaflowne) for £15, that sort of throws it into a certain light.

Worth mentioning as well - I' have happily paid £20 for my Wolf's Rain box. I'm a little concerned that by overshooting the £20 barrier, there's a possibility of turning casual punters off, what with psychological price barriers and all that stuff.

I'm gonna be watching and waiting to see if the online prices should creep down as the release date draws near - not to mention if these sets actually appear when they're slated to.

Like I say, not meaning to complain as such - I'm just sincerely interested in how this brand label works out in 2011.

It's not like I have any money at all but I've paid £15 for a shirt before... I can justify paying for nerdy things when I weigh it against travel costs, food and clothing. :p

I paid £130 for the Star Trek TNG boxsets when they first came out ten years ago. On the other hand I bought all of IGPX for £6 in two artboxes last month.

I'll only pay what I think something is worth. I waited till Gun Sword was £15 before I shelled out for it, but I don't feel at all aggrieved that it's £10 now. I still paid what I think it was worth.

For a Beez re-release of a series, I feel that £20 is the magic number. If on the day of release you can get it for under that, you'll attract the casual buyer. With their first tranche of re-releases going at £15, that was like a magnet. Naff economy and all that, yes, maybe they need to up their prices, but it would still be a price in the teens that would draw me to Geass. They'd have to pay me to try Gurren. Already got Planetes (£13 import back when there was $2 to the pound)

Back