Neon Genesis Evangelion

hopeful_monster said:
There as not many people who 'hate' it, just quite a few who think that it is not as good as other series. Mecha or otherwise. Thing is to some diehard fanboy's this is sacrilege of the highest order and those slandering Eva's good name is a sin worthy of being burnt at the stake

extreme fanboyism is trully annoying =(
I find it funny how animes like EVA and Gundam gets so many fans to become almost brainwashed.
One thing is to like something and tell people how you like (with moderation). Another is trying to convert everyone else to your belief /tastes, it really bother me....

Kendarr said:
NGE has to be the best Mecha anime i have seen.

It gets very deep at points. This was the first mecha anime i ever watched and will be a favourite for a long time.

Every anime forum i have been on always has a really long thread about it! this is because its so rich in everything everyone wants from anime!

out of interest, is there many people here who hated it?

I don't 'hate' it, Though I have to say I do seriously dislike the fact that it is supposedly the most popular Anime series of the past 15 years.

The story of how I saw it I've mentioned, but briefly I saw it on sci fi channel in 2002. I wasn't on the internet much then so had no idea what this series (or martian successor nadesico, or blue gender which were on at the same time) was about or anything about the fandom. I found it average to start with, getting progressively more meh as it went on, with the last two episodes being diabolical. Both the other series I found much more interesting and engaging.

Then I found out about the series popularity on the internet and to be honest I was shocked and disbeliving. I still haven't accepted it, It is an average mecha series with lots of angst and a rubbish ending for me. Heck I wouldn't put it in my top 10 mecha anime (though it isn't the worst I have seen)

And for those who say 'He doesn't get deep and intelligent Anime' - I adore Serial Experiments Lain/Paranoia Agent/Haibane Renmei/Patlabor - and I didn't find Eva remotely 'intelligent' beyond bog standard mecha terminology and a load of faux monologuing trying to pass itself off as 'psychology' or whatever.

Sorry, not much of a fan here.

Whoa, Warmaster. You didn't think Evangelion was "intelligent"? That strikes me as absurd; most people that watch Evangelion think it's an intelligent series. And it really is. It deals with sexuality, human suffering (depression, loss etc.), has themes centering around existentialism - it's very definitely more intelligent that the overwhelming majority if anime out there.

RetroRainbow said:
Actually, quick question. I've a song called 'Angel Night', and I know it's from one of the Eva soundtracks, but I can't figure out which one, and it's actually annoying me.

I think that's just another name for "A Crystalline Night Sky" from the second OST ("Evangelion II"), but I'm not sure!

Warmaster said:
And for those who say 'He doesn't get deep and intelligent Anime'

I don't think I've ever heard anyone use "deep" in a positive way.

Warmaster said:
- I adore Serial Experiments Lain/Paranoia Agent/Haibane Renmei/Patlabor

Which of these is supposed to be intelligent? Paranoia Agent is making a point but it's certainly not intelligent when spread over 13 episodes. Plus he already made the same point in Perfect Blue.

never watched patlabor, but paranoia agent is intelligent (even if repetitive, although I haven't finish watching it to judge) .

Lain is awesome, didn't see it all as well, but it's pure existentialism, questioning reality, etc.

Raibane Renmei is pure philosophy...

You don't agree with him WRT Eva is something, but he does list intelligent series there - Attacking his list just play against you mate....

Ark said:
Which of these is supposed to be intelligent? Paranoia Agent is making a point but it's certainly not intelligent when spread over 13 episodes. Plus he already made the same point in Perfect Blue.

I thought Paranoia agent was pretty smart at it's high points, it was only in the middle section that I felt it was being dragged out (the start and finish are excellent though).

It never bothered me too much that he was making the same point as perfect blue, it's unsurprising given that he used leftover ideas from that and besides that, in my mind there's nothing wrong with making the same point if you do it in a different way.

Anyhow I'll shut up now since I've gone way off topic.

chaos said:
Lain is awesome, didn't see it all as well, but it's pure existentialism, questioning reality, etc.

I like Lain as well but I just don't see that there is anything intelligent about existentialism. People have been questioning existance forever. It doesn't produce anything positive though.

chaos said:
Raibane Renmei is pure philosophy...

Please expand

chaos said:
You don't agree with him WRT Eva is something, but he does list intelligent series there - Attacking his list just play against you mate....

Maybe I did come on a bit strong and I'm sorry but I just don't see how you can argue that Eva isn't intelligent but those series are. If the themes Eva explores don't appeal to you then that's a different issue.

Wildcard said:
It never bothered me too much that he was making the same point as perfect blue, it's unsurprising given that he used leftover ideas from that and besides that, in my mind there's nothing wrong with making the same point if you do it in a different way.

But the way he did it wasn't an improvement. Perfect Blue didn't need to be 13 episodes long. Being a 90 minute film didn't compromise it in anyway. The point he's pushing when stretched over 13 episodes doesn't seem genuine anymore.

Ark said:
Maybe I did come on a bit strong and I'm sorry but I just don't see how you can argue that Eva isn't intelligent but those series are. If the themes Eva explores don't appeal to you then that's a different issue.

Wildcard said:

But the way he did it wasn't an improvement. Perfect Blue didn't need to be 13 episodes long. Being a 90 minute film didn't compromise it in anyway. The point he's pushing when stretched over 13 episodes doesn't seem genuine anymore.

I'll definitely agree it felt stretched, I guess Satoshi Kon is more skilled at making films than TV series'.

CitizenGeek said:
Ark said:
If the themes Eva explores don't appeal to you then that's a different issue

That is the issue, IMO. Few people that "dislike" Evangelion are able to make that distinction, I think.
I think this is because Evangelion can easily pass off as a drama/mecha piece without people looking into it. I think it disguises the fact what it is truly trying to say and does it very well. It allows for it to be enjoyable for the people whom both want to look into their anime and those whom do not.

Ark said:
chaos said:

One of us is reading too much... Never said I don't like Eva, I actually can't undertand why you attacked the brilliant animes he listed, saying they are not intellingent. Can't see how Eva being an intelligent anime excludes haibane, lain and paranoya from being intelligent too...

About haibane, I can't remember who came up with the cave myth, was one of those greek phylosophers I've studied long ago... their names coming from dreams is particularly significant, like a message about how dreams would define the persona. Also, the redemption message, adds a bit of depth to the anime.

chaos said:
One of us is reading too much... Never said I don't like Eva,

I didn't say you did.

chaos said:
I actually can't undertand why you attacked the brilliant animes he listed, saying they are not intellingent. Can't see how Eva being an intelligent anime excludes haibane, lain and paranoya from being intelligent too...

I never claimed Eva being intelligent was the cause of the others not being. The two things aren't connected at all.

chaos said:
About haibane, I can't remember who came up with the cave myth, was one of those greek phylosophers I've studied long ago

Plato. What does that have to do with what's happening in Haibane Renmei
though?

chaos said:
... their names coming from dreams is particularly significant, like a message about how dreams would define the persona.

What is intelligent about this though?

chaos said:
Also, the redemption message, adds a bit of depth to the anime.

Taking tropes from Christian theology doesn't make the show intelligent anymore than in Eva when it does the same thing.

That sounds right, especially because of the whole moon thing.I wonder what eva unit 05 looks like properly,i remember putting a screencap i got of it on here before the 2.0 trailer was taken offline,but it wasn't very clear.

Kendarr said:
when does the live action movie come out?

The short answer.. Probably never.

ADV wanted to fund it themselves and make a good job of it, unfortunatly, making a good job of it would take a lot of money, which they really don't have and probably never will.

To be honest, I think it was just wishfull thinking.

Edit.. Oh and Judging by the concepts that they had done by Weta, i'm glad it's not being made. Urgh... the plug suits are horrid.

http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/ ... on_genesis

And why they had to get concepts done at all baffles me... They had the entire anime to go off. Why change what works.

To throw all your well crafted arguments out the window has any one heard anything about a new spin off game and comic/manga? Came across some materials for it, but not much more. Here's what i managed to save.

Wow, that game (and manga) look AWESOME! I -so- hope they get released here. But the chances of that are virtually zero (unless some great company decides to release it in order to coincide with RoE's US release?) ...

CitizenGeek said:
Wow, that game (and manga) look AWESOME! I -so- hope they get released here. But the chances of that are virtually zero (unless some great company decides to release it in order to coincide with RoE's US release?) ...

RoE's? Google tell me about Return On Equity and Record of Employment, but i don't think it's any of them...

Back