Neon Genesis Evangelion

Oooh I own and have read all six volumes of Angelic days (read part of volume 1 on my first day at Uni)

Yes Evangelion, my favourite series. I was able to get that platinum tinned version with the booklet and everything before it went out of stock (£67 and my pride and joy of my collection :oops: )

This was something I was thinking about yesterday...would Eva be as iconic/remembered (can't think of the right word) if the ending had been different? What if the budget hadn't run out, and the last three episodes were able to go on, with EOE in a two part episode. No arguments over which ending is best, no crazy storyboard/sketch style episodes, no film released two years later, just a fully animated conclusion? Because I feel the two endings, and budget runout add to the overall experience.

Apologies if the above doesn't make sense, the words are there but won't come out :(

Truered said:
Oooh I own and have read all six volumes of Angelic days (read part of volume 1 on my first day at Uni)

Yes Evangelion, my favourite series. I was able to get that platinum tinned version with the booklet and everything before it went out of stock (£67 and my pride and joy of my collection :oops: )

This was something I was thinking about yesterday...would Eva be as iconic/remembered (can't think of the right word) if the ending had been different? What if the budget hadn't run out, and the last three episodes were able to go on, with EOE in a two part episode. No arguments over which ending is best, no crazy storyboard/sketch style episodes, no film released two years later, just a fully animated conclusion? Because I feel the two endings, and budget runout add to the overall experience.

Apologies if the above doesn't make sense, the words are there but won't come out :(

I've wondered about that too; what would have happened if it had all gone as planned the first time around? Regardless of what I think about the seperate endings (both have different merits I feel), it has to be said that controversy can be a massive selling point. It's interesting to consider how it effected its popularity. A lot of Eva's fame and infamy could be attributed to the way it divided it's viewers.

chaos said:
Im not sure I agree with you as well Sy. I found EoE pretty good exactly because of that. It's been a while, but I did watch the series and replaced eps 25/26 with EoE. The result is simply great.
I like end of Eva too don't get me wrong but I guess at some point I began to appricate the original ending more for what it was, it reaches out and displays a character in a brutally honest way. End of Eva did something similar but in a slightly different way putting more focus on giving it a story. I felt that it was less sucessful but there's no doubt it felt more like an ending to a sci-fi series.

Rebuild seems to have taken that one step further but forcing elements and events too early or too quickly and losing what I personally find so interesting about the series now. I mean sure fine, I can see why people would love the new shiney visuals and whatnot but that doesn't really interest me. There's already a lot of sci-fi out there.

Sy said:
Rebuild seems to have taken that one step further but forcing elements and events too early or too quickly and losing what I personally find so interesting about the series now. I mean sure fine, I can see why people would love the new shiney visuals and whatnot but that doesn't really interest me. There's already a lot of sci-fi out there.

At this point I still favour the series over Rebuild by a vast margin, however as a film it was always going to be difficult to fit all the material from Evangelion into a shorter running time.

The films shouldn't be considered as a replacement by any means, besides which I doubt they could ever live up to the ravenous fanbase. However as a movie I thought it all worked quite nicely. Rather than be dumbed down I just thought of it as tighter editing. It's remained remarkably faithful overall, which I suppose could be a good or a bad thing depeneding on your perspective. It doesn't betray the series but it doesn't demonstrate the level of invention the original did on release.

The psychological elements do seem a little premature at this stage in the story or even forced, however that's on the assumption it's going in a similar direction- which it could very well deviate from. I won't draw any solid conclusions till I see more. I hope Anno will do something unexpected and bold in the next films instead of replaying the same story on fast-foward.

Sy said:
I like end of Eva too don't get me wrong but I guess at some point I began to appricate the original ending more for what it was, ....
I see, I guess I've read too much in your previous post. I've seen a bit of rebuild and possibly under the "Oh more EVA, Yay" feeling. Didn't stop to evaluate the overall experience of it against the original series.

I do think rebuild has it's merit regardless of the original series. I also like angelic days very much. While Akira was the first anime to really move me, it was Eva who made me realize I was an anime addict.

Edited because somethings I choose the words I use very badly when I drink....

Well that's fair enough I'm not trying to force others to take my opinion too, just explaining my reasons. :p

Sounds stupid but seeing this thread has made me decide to go and watch Vol.1

I bought it in HMV a while back on offer, and I never got around to watching it. I hope its as good as some people make it out to be, if I like it, il probably end up buying the other vol's.

evangelion rocks said:
It's really a marmite anime:you either love it or you hate it!

QFT

If you do make it to the end of the series, remember to watch End of Evangelion to see the different take on the series ending

BlackWolf said:
evangelion rocks said:

QFT

If you do make it to the end of the series, remember to watch End of Evangelion to see the different take on the series ending

And then watch rebuild immedeately after and notice that the ocean is read like at the end of third impact and get so confused you pass out!

Last edited by a moderator:
evangelion rocks said:
BlackWolf said:
evangelion rocks said:

QFT

And then watch rebuild immedeately after and notice that the ocean is read like at the end of third impact and get so confused you pass out!

Well also notice that Kawrou is introduced a heck of a lot earlier and who knows what else will change...man that news you posted of ver2 not coming out till 2009 has now left me wanting more information about it :(

I'm taking NGE series and movies with me when I go to America at the end of the month. I've had a craving to watch it again and seeing as tho ver.II isn't out till next year.... I reckon I'll defenitely be ready for another dose by then ^_^

evangelion rocks said:
Just adding an update on Rebuild 2.0:
A japanese newspaper has indirectly stated that Rebuild will be released summer 2009 as opposed to the original date of 2008.:?

So, another year in fan purgatory wondering how right or wrong this film could go. :(

Wildcard said:
evangelion rocks said:
Just adding an update on Rebuild 2.0:
A japanese newspaper has indirectly stated that Rebuild will be released summer 2009 as opposed to the original date of 2008.:?

So, another year in fan purgatory wondering how right or wrong this film could go. :(
Time for me to make my rash prediction for Eva 2.0. :wink:

I don't think things are going to be anywhere near as different as people are suggesting. With Eva 1.0 fresh in my mind, it struck me that everything was very similar to the series, there was just more background and explanation, therefore...

...who's to say the Kaworu segments aren't just going to tell us what Kaworu was up to during the events earlier in the series? I don't see this going in the wrong direction - they have too much to lose if they piss off all the fans during the second film.* This stuff about the new girl (probably an Eva pilot) - it's fairly standard practice to add the odd new character when doing a remake. I doubt she'll be of major importance to the overall plot - more merchandising potential though, and we know how much Gainax love that.

Interesting, I just learned that the kanji used to spell Evangelion in Rebuild actually spell "Wevangeriwon" as opposed to "Evangerion" in the series...

*they'll save that for the end.

Nice prediction, probably true as well, though rumours presist of an extra two Eva units will be seen maybe Toji will actually get to fight this time before his unit turns Angel Unless that is of course the new girl doesn't take his place in that unit. Still The third film looks to be intresting (since that's the one which is suposed to be the remake of End of Eva) though the fourth film is probably the biggie of them being a sqeuel to the series and all. Thing is though with ver 2.0 not coming out till 2009 then we may not get to see the 4th film as the Mu will have invaded :p

RetroRainbow said:
I've also been reading a lot of hearsay around the ye olde intarwebs, and some people are saying that Mari may be Touji's sister. I don't think that's possible, but I wouldn't rule it out completely. Also, about Kaworu; apparently, he awoke on the Moon, yes, but apparently it was NERV's moonbase where he awoke. That doesn't make sense, surely it would've been SEELE's? He's then apparently supposed to descend to Earth in Eva Unit 06.

Mari is the bespectacled girl shown in 2.0 preview, right? Well, I would doubt that she's Toji's sister, to be honest. She seems too old and I got the impression that Toji's sister was young in the series (he had to look after her, she had toys etc.)

It was SEELE's moon base. One of the SEELE monoliths talking to Kaworu. Also, even it was NERV's base, that wouldn't be significant because NERV is under the control of the Human Instrumentality Committee, which is a puppet organisation of SEELE, anyway.

Kaworu's exchange with the monolith sure is mysterious, though. The SEELE monolith refers to the Dead Sea Scrolls and then mentions a "contract" that's nearing it's fulfilment - no such "contract" was ever mentioned in the original series. Kaworu says "the third again, huh? You guys never change". WTF!? It hints that it all happened before and now SEELE are going after the third again or something. In any case, I can't wait to see what RoE 2.0 has in store! 8D

CitizenGeek said:
RetroRainbow said:
I've also been reading a lot of hearsay around the ye olde intarwebs, and some people are saying that Mari may be Touji's sister. I don't think that's possible, but I wouldn't rule it out completely. Also, about Kaworu; apparently, he awoke on the Moon, yes, but apparently it was NERV's moonbase where he awoke. That doesn't make sense, surely it would've been SEELE's? He's then apparently supposed to descend to Earth in Eva Unit 06.

Mari is the bespectacled girl shown in 2.0 preview, right? Well, I would doubt that she's Toji's sister, to be honest. She seems too old and I got the impression that Toji's sister was young in the series (he had to look after her, etc.)

It was SEELE's moon base. There was one of the SEELE monoliths talking to Kaworu. Also, even it was NERV's base, that wouldn't make a difference because NERV is under the control of the Human Instrumentality Comittee, which is a puppet organisation of SEELE.

Kaworu's exchange with the monolith sure is mysterious, though. The SEELE monolith refers to the Dead Sea Scrolls and then mentions a "contract" that's nearing it's fulfilment - no such "contract" was ever mentioned in the original series :s Kaworu says "the third again, huh? You guys never change". WTF!? It hints that it all happenend before and now SEELE are going after the third again or something :s In any case, I can't wait to see what RoE 2.0 has in store! 8D

Well now that's an intresting thought...Something simliar to Turn A Gundam's premise (bascially all gundam shows operate on one gigantic timeline)

Though i guess we won't find out now till 2009 :(

BlackWolf said:
CitizenGeek said:
RetroRainbow said:

Mari is the bespectacled girl shown in 2.0 preview, right? Well, I would doubt that she's Toji's sister, to be honest. She seems too old and I got the impression that Toji's sister was young in the series (he had to look after her, etc.)

It was SEELE's moon base. There was one of the SEELE monoliths talking to Kaworu. Also, even it was NERV's base, that wouldn't make a difference because NERV is under the control of the Human Instrumentality Comittee, which is a puppet organisation of SEELE.

Kaworu's exchange with the monolith sure is mysterious, though. The SEELE monolith refers to the Dead Sea Scrolls and then mentions a "contract" that's nearing it's fulfilment - no such "contract" was ever mentioned in the original series :s Kaworu says "the third again, huh? You guys never change". WTF!? It hints that it all happenend before and now SEELE are going after the third again or something :s In any case, I can't wait to see what RoE 2.0 has in store! 8D

Well now that's an intresting thought...Something simliar to Turn A Gundam's premise (bascially all gundam shows operate on one gigantic timeline)

Though i guess we won't find out now till 2009 :(

That's a new angle on the situation CG!It certainley is different than the whole "kaworu knows shinji" theory on Eva Geeks.I wouldn't be suprised if you were right about this idea that "the third" reffering to re-attempting third impact and the "you never change"reffering to SEELE.Our Conan strikes again eh?

Back