Neon Genesis Evangelion

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
So, I've been trying to decide on wether or not to get this boxset for the past few days. It's around €115 and can be found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HOJEWY/kelkoocpc-dvd-21/ref=nosim

Has anyone else bought this set, would you reccomend it? Do you think it's a better idea to just collect the DVD volumes?

Oh and I've never watched Evangelion before, so no spoilers please! Thanks! :D

Edit: Just changed the title, as I want this to be a more general Evangelion discussion ^_^

Watch it on propellor TV, because you prolly get your opinion from them better than ours.

I don't really like mecha, so I have got no opinion on it, except mecha sucks.

Sounds like your a euorpean, Propeller TV is a channel (195) on Sky in the UK. I really didnt like Evangelion, its like marmite really, you either love it or hate it, I hated it.

Xelis said:
Sounds like your a euorpean, Propeller TV is a channel (195) on Sky in the UK. I really didnt like Evangelion, its like marmite really, you either love it or hate it, I hated it.

Hmm, I don't have Sky Digital, so I won't be able to check that out.

Did you like the first of Evangelion, or did you dislike it from the first ep? I've seen the first one and I rather liked it!

I've got the thingy, got it christmas last year, its quite good although I haven't watched through all of it yet because I got a little side tracked and never went back to it, plan to watch it again in the future though, its a nice series. The set comes in a tin, you got a little booklet that features information on the angels and evas, you get a lot of commentaries and a glossary/time line which is useful for making sense of some of the more confusing things.
You get 7 dvds that are stored in a little bound thing that folds out. All dvds have episodes on them, with some further commentaries so there isn't a special edition dvd that stores all the extras. Some of the episodes are repeated (some are OC and some are DC, I don't know what that means if someone could lend me a hand here) and there are extra scenes if I remember correctly, "Extra: Full length cinematic for episode 23" .etc

I don't have the dvd volumes so I can't vouch for them and I don't know what extras are in there or how much it all costs, it all depends on if you want to pay extra for the added stuff in the collectors tin.

I would recommend you watch evangelion, it is certainly something different, I really enjoyed it but had to look at wiki and this booklet I got to fully understand everything. Some episodes can be a little slow in my opinion but others more than make up for it. I'm terrible at telling a story without spoiling it so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_genesis_evangelion
It may not be everyones cup of tea, but I recommend you give it a look.

I'd recommend it. It's a landmark series with plenty of 'rewatchability'. From a technical P.O.V., the picture and sound quality of the Platinum edition are a great improvement over the older DVDs. Oh yeah, that tin looks damned shiny too. :D

CitizenGeek said:
Xelis said:

Hmm, I don't have Sky Digital, so I won't be able to check that out.

Did you like the first of Evangelion, or did you dislike it from the first ep? I've seen the first one and I rather liked it!
It was a whiney little emo boy called Shinji that put me off the most, as well and the nonsensical plot line as well.. People look way to deep into the series and find meanings that arent there.

Play.com are cheaper for this series' i'm waiting for X-mas for the almighty tin to come a knockin'.

I do recommend trying to see the first few episodes to see if its you're cup of tea though; even though the story does differ a lot throughout the entirety of the series.

Roadie said:
I've got the thingy, got it christmas last year, its quite good although I haven't watched through all of it yet because I got a little side tracked and never went back to it, plan to watch it again in the future though, its a nice series. The set comes in a tin, you got a little booklet that features information on the angels and evas, you get a lot of commentaries and a glossary/time line which is useful for making sense of some of the more confusing things.
You get 7 dvds that are stored in a little bound thing that folds out. All dvds have episodes on them, with some further commentaries so there isn't a special edition dvd that stores all the extras. Some of the episodes are repeated (some are OC and some are DC, I don't know what that means if someone could lend me a hand here) and there are extra scenes if I remember correctly, "Extra: Full length cinematic for episode 23" .etc

I don't have the dvd volumes so I can't vouch for them and I don't know what extras are in there or how much it all costs, it all depends on if you want to pay extra for the added stuff in the collectors tin.

I would recommend you watch evangelion, it is certainly something different, I really enjoyed it but had to look at wiki and this booklet I got to fully understand everything. Some episodes can be a little slow in my opinion but others more than make up for it. I'm terrible at telling a story without spoiling it so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_genesis_evangelion
It may not be everyones cup of tea, but I recommend you give it a look.

Thanks for that! :D I think you have convinced me to buy this set!

Also if you see it on the TV you may not like it as the English dub is pretty bad. It's so over the top.

Xelis wrote:
People look way to deep into the series and find meanings that arent there.

Such as?
At the end of End of Evangelion Shinji came back to earth and apparently everyone else had the chance to as well if they wanted to, to his left was Asuka and she had one blue eye and a red eye (not that I could tell the difference :S), the internet speculates she is a mixed version of rei and Asuka, oh she also was bandaged like rei was eariler in the series. If you ask me I think thats a meaning that wasn't mean't to be, or is it true and I just made a fool of myself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ark said:
Xelis said:

Such as?
I cant remember anymore, so I cant back up my claim, but at the time I remember thinking there was no point to the series and felt it was way over hyped. I may have to do the unthinkable and rewatch it... definantly with subs this time though.

No point at all? I think you might have to rewatch it. Some people do tend to go overboard with the theories (like those stupid extras on the platinum DVD's with the Eva philosopher guy) but there is definitely something going ont here.

Roadie said:
Xelis wrote:

Such as?
At the end of End of Evangelion Shinji came back to earth and apparently everyone else had the chance to as well if they wanted to, to his left was Asuka and she had one blue eye and a red eye (not that I could tell the difference :S), the internet speculates she is a mixed version of rei and Asuka, oh she also was bandaged like rei was eariler in the series. If you ask me I think thats a meaning that wasn't mean't to be, or is it true and I just made a fool of myself?

That is complete fanfiction. However it doesn't have anything to do with the meaning of the show it's just claimed iconography. There is a lot of genuine iconography in the show so it's natural that people are going to look for it when it isn't even there. There are a lot of aspects of Eva where I think the fan speculation is totally valid and correct. This just isn't one of them and to be fair people only say it after they listen to the EoE commentary and then quickly disgard it after they talk to other fans. In other words its not something that is debated anymore.

Anyway none of that still has anything to do with the meaning of the show.

I cant remember anymore, so I cant back up my claim,

Well at least you're honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will try an keep this as objective as possible so as to not end up in a flame war with Ark. I STRONGLY suggest that you rent the series before buying it. As you can see from this thread there are many complicated and confusing views on this series. While I think it worth watching, if your reaction to the ending is the same as mine it may not be worth buying out right.
As for the depth or shallowness of the symbolism really can't be bothered for the fight.

Either way,you really should watch this series.
Its as important for an anime fan to watch this as it is to watch Akira as far as Im concerned.
Oh and I LOVE eva.

hopeful_monster said:
Will try an keep this as objective as possible so as to not end up in a flame war with Ark.

RahXephon struck me as a very evil show.

hopeful_monster said:
I STRONGLY suggest that you rent the series before buying it. As you can see from this thread there are many complicated and confusing views on this series.

Probably

hopeful_monster said:
As for the depth or shallowness of the symbolism really can't be bothered for the fight.

Symbolism is by it's nature pretentious as it's trying to emphasize a point that's already been made directly. It can't be shallow or "deep". Whether it stimulates a reaction effectively will depend on the individual. Basically it's a psychological trick. Again that has nothing to do with the meaning of the show.

I know that the symbolism was most likely just put there to distinguish Evangelion from other mecha shows, but the imagery is still striking. In any case, I've decided to buy this thanks to the reccomendations of certain people here. Thanks for the help, all of you! :D

I thought Evangelion was universally loved in anime circles, but I guess I was very wrong, huh?

Back