MyM Magazine

While those are valid points, I'm starting to wonder whether half the posters in this thread are spies and counterspies from both MYM and NEO. AUKN is turning into a battle ground.

vashdaman said:
While those are valid points, I'm starting to wonder whether half the posters in this thread are spies and counterspies from both MYM and NEO. AUKN is turning into a battle ground.

Can I just say at this point that I'm not a spy, mainly because everyone here knows I work for MyM and thus I don't have much of a cover.

A few people may well be personally annoyed about the subscriber mass-mailing incident, though I don't know much about it myself. I'm just annoyed whenever anyone damages the anime industry, irrespective of who they are!

I'd quite like to buy both MyM and Neo (at the moment I subscribe to and buy Japanese magazines, so the local ones are a bargain!) but the current offerings and scope aren't really grabbing me yet ^^;

R

vashdaman said:
Muu_Puklip certainly doesn't seem to have done anything other than draw attention to MyM's problems (and the less said about scuttlebutt the better). Of course there will be people with no specific vested interest in seeing either magazine do well or poorly who are just loyal to one magazine or the other because they prefer it or something (a bit like console fanboys).

Maybe we can influence Ian Wolf to influence his publisher to take MYM in an interesting and distinctly non- NEO direction? I really do think more people would pay for an anime magazine that featured more reflective thought provoking articles, and such things that you might not be able to find online for free. Pretty much everything in NEO you can find online for free and probably at a higher standard too.

scuttlebutt

Yeah he was bad spy.

vashdaman said:
Maybe we can influence Ian Wolf to influence his publisher to take MYM in an interesting and distinctly non- NEO direction? I really do think more people would pay for an anime magazine that featured more reflective thought provoking articles, and such things that you might not be able to find online for free. Pretty much everything in NEO you can find online for free and probably at a higher standard too.

If you want more thought provoking articles, I would suggest we should persuade DVD providers and manga publishers to bring out more interesting titles, and to be more innovative themselves. That would help for starters.

vashdaman said:
Btw, does MyM give Naruto and Bleach 4/5 like Neo does?

Ian Wolf said:
vashdaman said:

If you want more thought provoking articles, I would suggest we should persuade DVD providers and manga publishers to bring out more interesting titles, and to be more innovative themselves. That would help for starters.
Everything I think classes as "thought provoking" recently has been licensed...

...I think. Right?

ayase said:
vashdaman said:
Muu_Puklip certainly doesn't seem to have done anything other than draw attention to MyM's problems (and the less said about scuttlebutt the better). Of course there will be people with no specific vested interest in seeing either magazine do well or poorly who are just loyal to one magazine or the other because they prefer it or something (a bit like console fanboys).

You know, you could try talking to me directly. I won't bite. I will answer questions in a frank and straight way too.

Paradox295 said:
vashdaman said:
Btw, does MyM give Naruto and Bleach 4/5 like Neo does?

Naruto Shippuden Vol. 9 was given 3/5.

The Bleach film "Fade to Black" was subject of a feature article, but no rating was given.

Muu_Puklip said:
You know, you could try talking to me directly. I won't bite. I will answer questions in a frank and straight way too.
I don't really have anything to ask. You don't appear to have posted about much other than MyM and Neo since joining though, so I get the impression you joined just to talk about this single issue.

I notice now looking at your posts that you did start a topic in another section about being a Neo admin, so I apologise if you feel I inferred that you were attempting to hide your bias.

^I don't think it was you who inferred that, it was me!

I apologize for inferring you were a potential spy Puklip. I guess you'd qualify for being a counter diplomat instead. So, since Ian Wolf seems to be resisting our influence, is there any chance we could influence you to influence the editor of NEO to take the mag in a new, interesting, slightly broader and more grown up direction?

ayase said:
I notice now looking at your posts that you did start a topic in another section about being a Neo admin, so I apologise if you feel I inferred that you were attempting to hide your bias.
Ex NEO forum admin. I stepped down in February. Had my Muu account banned around March for saying things one of the Uncooked Media directors did not like. I have no bias towards NEO. My interest is in the entire community.

vashdaman said:
I apologize for inferring you were a potential spy Puklip. I guess you'd qualify for being a counter diplomat instead. So, since Ian Wolf seems to be resisting our influence, is there any chance we could influence you to influence the editor of NEO to take the mag in a new, interesting, slightly broader and more grown up direction?
I wouldn't describe myself in those terms. As above, I am not speaking for NEO.

It would be better if you made suggestions about the content of both mags directly to the respective editors. You don't need an intermediary. Just send them an email with your views. Draw your own conclusions about whatever response, or lack of it, that you get.

vashdaman said:
So, since Ian Wolf seems to be resisting our influence

I'd wouldn't say I'm resisting influence. I'd just say that it is probably better for you to take up the issue yourself. If you want to change things, then change them yourself. You have issues with the editor, contact him. All the contact details are in the magazine.

In the meantime, I'll see what manga and anime are on offer, read them, watch them, and write about them.

If we're laying down cards, I'm on the neo side.
I bought the first issue of Mad Madam MyM, but more information about the mailing list incident soured things rather. The fact that the first page of the magazine just plain didn't make much sense doesn't help...

My editor Tarik is interested in find out what people make of the latest issue of MyM. If you have had a chance to get a copy and read it, please let me know what you think of it. Has it improved over the last issue and what still needs improving.

Ok hi. I was thinking a bit more space for reviews would help. It does feel like they are a bit bunched and have very small word counts. Also some coverage on japanese music would be great as well.

Back