MyM Magazine

vashdaman said:
To be fair though, I think it's a little unfair that people on NEO were calling scuttlebug a troll when it seems like he does have a fair point or two, albeit put forward in a provocative manner. Though it's not much different to when anyone on the net is called a troll is it, don't agree with you point of view often seems to = troll.
By "people" you mean person? Only one poster accused the guy of trolling.

And in my experience people are not labelled trolls for having a contrary viewpoint. They are labelled trolls when either a) **** stirring, or b) when expressing an uninformed opinion in a deliberately provocative way.

Also, this thread makes me feel dirty.

And in my experience people are not labelled trolls for having a contrary viewpoint. They are labelled trolls when either a) **** stirring, or b) when expressing an uninformed opinion in a deliberately provocative way.

Not at all in my experience, I have witnessed people being labelled 'troll's' on internet forums frequently just for holding an opinion that is contrary to the majority of forumites or simply posting something that another forum member passionately disagrees with. Troll is such a vague and nondescript term that it's effectively meaningless, and thus is often used by some internet users as an effective way to belittle someone's posting content without constructing a coherent argument against it. It's a stupid term and I personally prefer to use real vocabulary.

Fabio's definition of "troll" would be the correct one, it definately does have a meaning and that is it. However, it's not surprising you've heard it used outside of that context vash, as it's one of those words newcomers to the internet latch on to and then throw around liberally without understanding what it means. I imagine this has been passed on to another generation of netizens now, who in turn probably heard the term from people who didn't understand it in the first place. There should be a written exam before people can use the internet if you ask me (or at least certain sites, just stay on Facebook kiddies). It's not the place it used to be...

And yeah, nice setup by this Scuttlebutt character there "Neo vs Mym is being discussed at AUKN"? Well, Mym was being discussed. Not a single mention of Neo before he brought it up.

There used to be an unwritten exam, ie. you didn't write anything until you understood enough about the community to mingle in well and not mis-use terms, but in this age of Ultra Self Entitlement Syndrome that would seem to be forever lost.

I'm not sure why people don't like Neo, I find it a decent purchase...

Anyway I bought issue one of MyM and it was a decent enough read. I suspect I'll end up buying both it and Neo monthly

So that's where Martin's been hiding for the past three years. Good to know we're not the only ones to suffer from chronic thread derail syndrome either...

Ah, That's so cool how people from here are working on the magazine!

Can i just say, i really enjoyed it the magazine, definitely prefer it to NEO.

Thumbed though it. I'm presently surprised that they took ADV to task for announcing they had the VA for Persona 4 before asking them. NEO would probably find an excuse to call them great for it.

Managed to get a copy from WHSmiths in Leeds today.

Page 8 appears to have the wrong story printed, as the pictures focus on the Girls und Panzer anime, yet the text talks about a browser-based card game?

I think you're a little harsh on Flowers of Evil in your review, Ian. I've read a bit further ahead through scanlations and the story does pick up from the rather slow start, and gets fairly intense quite quickly. Also, I'm not sure who told you that the series is a comedy, because I wouldn't describe it as being anything like a comedy - more of a psychological drama/romance story.

VoxPhantom said:
I think you're a little harsh on Flowers of Evil in your review, Ian. I've read a bit further ahead through scanlations and the story does pick up from the rather slow start, and gets fairly intense quite quickly. Also, I'm not sure who told you that the series is a comedy, because I wouldn't describe it as being anything like a comedy - more of a psychological drama/romance story.

Well, I might have been a bit harsh. I might review Volume 2 to see it does get better. I'll have to ask the editor.

In terms of describing it as a comedy, I based it on the description on the ANN.

I have seen A few of Reviewers/Vloggers have mentioned the series to contain comedy elements now, the common thing mentioned though is that the comedy is not for everyone and that the comedy aspect is only going to be found funny/comedic by a very small minority of people of certain persuasion.

I wanted to check FOE out too but I'm really on the fence at the moment. But I might Definitley have a look at Until Death Do Us Part.

MrLaserSharkKH said:
I have seen A few of Reviewers have mentioned the series to contain comedy elements now, the common thing mentioned though is that the comedy is not for everyone and that the comedy aspect is only going to be found funny/comedic by a very small minority of people of certain persuasion.

I think you summed it up best. I may have a look at it again, either for MyM or AUKN, but I wasn't impressed by volume one.

I think one problem for me is that the ratings system for MyM does not have much leeway. It's just "Hit, Miss or Maybe". If I were reviewing it for AUKN I'd have probably given it between 3-5 out of 10.

Back