MyM Magazine

I agree on the ratings system being restrictive.

Furthermore, it seems a bit odd to me that the magazine has ratings out of 10 for games, out of 5 for anime and then the hit/miss/maybe for manga.

Anyway, just wanted to offer my thoughts on your review. It'd be nice if you do get to have another look at the series later on.

I too noticed the girls und panzer story wasn't about girls and panzers :)

QA could do with an extra once over no doubt but it's still only issue 2 so teething issues can be forgiven :)

Nice shoutout to Homestuck in the cosplay section by the way :)

Supposedly they've also done a Metro in this issue and advocated an illegal manga scanlation app. Not very impressed if it's true (and it seems to be from the Facebook response they gave to someone).

R

Rui said:
Supposedly they've also done a Metro in this issue and advocated an illegal manga scanlation app. Not very impressed if it's true (and it seems to be from the Facebook response they gave to someone).

R
I recall something about an App that links to several scanlation sites being in the magazine.

Rui said:

R
It is indeed true. The first paragraph of the offending articles reads as follows.

Apple and mango, now that's a good combination. Apple and manga? Until now we wouldn't have thought those two really mixed but an updated iPhone and iPad app has changed all that. The *name deleted* software from Apple's iTunes Store offers a huge collection of manga books to read on the go. It works by accessingmanga titles scanned and uploaded by *3 scanlation sites which shall remain nameless here*, which adds up to more than 10,000 manga titles to pour[sic] over!

I'd be against that, but, yeah, no. Untill Viz opens thier ebook store to the UK (and maybe get an android version up too? Maybe?) I'm not sympathetic to thier calls.

Actauly, why can I buy Otaku USA for my Shiny new not a kindle fire and not Mym or Neo?

Hmmm, well scanlation sites are always going to be around for translating manga that don't get translated officially, if nothing else.

I think that's a use that most people wopuldn't feel was too wrong...

I'm saying Viz have the power to be in the right but they can and will blow it off (I Mean, come on, guys, Kazé exists, you're telling me a few letters, a few bows here and there can't get SJA up and running in Europe?) thus making scanlations look a hell of a lot less skeezy.

I agree that Mym shouldn't have said where people shoudln't have gotten the app but it's not like they can actauly report on SJA any.

I'd kill to read Barage legaly. But untill I can, it's Bulge for me.

I've got to admit that I didn't give the article more than a glance as I have no need of scans on the move as it were but the fact that the app also has a paid version mentioned is somewhat dodgy to the max I guess...

Anyway on a positive note I do prefer the way the release schedules have been separated and polished up this issue 'tis a vast improvement on issue ones...

Scanlations are illegal, there's no grey area whatsoever. And the fact that some editor let that through without thinking about it first is shocking, especially since they're trying to make money from the printing industry themselves.

Thanks for the confirmation Vox, though I'm going to excise the app name too ;)

R

Rui said:
Scanlations are illegal, there's no grey area whatsoever. And the fact that some editor let that through without thinking about it first is shocking, especially since they're trying to make money from the printing industry themselves.

Thanks for the confirmation Vox, though I'm going to excise the app name too ;)

R
Yeah, editoraly, this was a mistake.

With regards to the scanlations business, I mentioned this to my editor, Tarik Alozdi, who has asked my to report the following.

We confirmed it would not have been published if the news reporter knew it was illegal. However the news reporter did not know that they were. The app was Apple approved, so appeared legal to him. Going forward staff have been informed, and we can confirm stories of this nature will not be published going forward.

I hope this helps to settle the matter.

Thanks Ian, it's good that you pushed them. While I'm sure they'll be more careful in future, I hope they also consider taking the opportunity to publish a retraction in future and perhaps try to educate their readers about better ways to enjoy manga online. When I reported the app to Apple last night I saw there were almost a hundred reviews for it on the store, so there must be a lot of people using it :(

R

SunlightHeart said:
I too noticed the girls und panzer story wasn't about girls and panzers :)

QA could do with an extra once over no doubt but it's still only issue 2 so teething issues can be forgiven :)
Yeah, that's an epic blunder. I decided to give it another chance after issue one, but I've lost all hope after this one.

I'm trying to get my head around the headline of "Does the future hold for Studio Ghibli?" on page 23. If you're gonna print stuff in big letters, try to make sense...is there meant to be a "What" at the start?

The claim that the DMC and Lost Planet 3 articles are reviews (top right of both pages) is either a blatant lie or another amateur hour mistake. They're not even out this year.

Page 74 has nice big bold text for something called "Fariy Tail".

Bad cover design too...dark blue on dark green = cannot read. They put a white stroke on "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" so you can actually see what it says, but they couldn't be bothered doing the rest. I know you're not meant to judge a book by its cover, but if a company can't be bothered getting the front page right, there's no hope for the rest.

I know this might sound over-critical or dickish, but this is something we actually have to pay real money for, so I expect some kind of quality. I can read almost all of this stuff online...I don't need to pay £3.45 for a printout of typos.

I can only assume it's proofed by a cat.

Just noticed that the Clannad review has inset text attributing the review to Ian Wolf, but the review has 'Written by: David Axbey' down the side of it.

Perhaps Manga's quality control guy is moonlighting as MYM's proofreader.

VoxPhantom said:
Just noticed that the Clannad review has inset text attributing the review to Ian Wolf, but the review has 'Written by: David Axbey' down the side of it.

Perhaps Manga's quality control guy is moonlighting as MYM's proofreader.

Not only that, but Moley's review of GTO: 14 Days in Shonan by Moley was accidentally attributed to me down the side. So overall, what I lost on a swing I gained on a roundabout.

I'm trying to get my head around the headline of "Does the future hold for Studio Ghibli?" on page 23. If you're gonna print stuff in big letters, try to make sense...is there meant to be a "What" at the start?

It could make sense depending on the context of the article. If for example it was about Ghibli's preference for hand drawn animation techniques opposed to more modern styles, than that title would be just about passable. Unfortunately I'm not quite convinced such an interesting article would be featured in the mag. That's a bit harsh of me though, as I'm still yet to read it. Good to see AUKN'ers getting published.

Ian Wolf said:
With regards to the scanlations business, I mentioned this to my editor, Tarik Alozdi, who has asked my to report the following.

We confirmed it would not have been published if the news reporter knew it was illegal. However the news reporter did not know that they were. The app was Apple approved, so appeared legal to him. Going forward staff have been informed, and we can confirm stories of this nature will not be published going forward.

I hope this helps to settle the matter.

Right. So the news reporter and editor know less about the market they are supposed to be serving than the people reading the mag? That'll be one to sort out quick.

Will Mr Alozdi be applying the same thinking to taking adverts from companies that sell counterfeit merchandise? Anyone working for MyM know how to spot the counterfeits? From the above it looks doubtful. That'll be another one to sort out quick.

Back