MyM Magazine

Basically a large chunk of the first page is thinly veiled mockery/insult at Neo.

It's pretty cringeworthy and unprofessional and was the low point of an otherwise improving issue

devilrules666 said:
Getting better. Less taking childish shots at neo on the front page please. Also enough with the Bleach coverage. Japanese music would be great. Also I would like it if you guys would get rid of any western films or comics. If I wanted to read about that stuff I would pick up another magazine.

To be fair, they've probably done this to attract more readers, it wouldn't surprise me if a number of the fanbase is also into western comics. I myself am partial to a bit of Green Lantern here and there (aside from the live action movie...that can jump off a cliff) and the transformers stuff that IDW put out.

Going to have a look for this mag next time I'm in town this week, haven't read a magazing like this in a longgggg time.

Having the western stuff as well as the comics and all the comics is the reason I'd pick this up over the lacking inferior rivals mags that think being totally Japanese is what people actually want, if I wanted a JPN mag i'd import one of the really nice ones they have that usually comes out once a month if if feel like it. If they dropped those things it would be just make them the same as the others, and also whats wrong with having a bit of "Variety".

Hopefully I will pick up Issue 4 Today, if not probably be sometime Nearer Thursday, quite busy this week.

MrLaserSharkKH said:
Having the western stuff as well as the comics and all the comics is the reason I'd pick this up over the lacking inferior rivals mags that think being totally Japanese is what people actually want,
That is what a lot of people want...Neo wouldn't have made it to 100 issues otherwise.

Yeah but Neo is just so ridiculously cringe worthy in it's attempts at being all Japanese-y. In the issues I've read, they seem to adhere to flawed philosophy that as long as an article has something to do with Japan, the actual quality of writing or subject doesn't matter too much.

To be honest, I'd much rather a whole magazine dedicated to anime and manga. It's an entire medium (two entire mediums, actually), there's more than enough to write about before one would feel the need to dabble in Japanese pop, surely?

I see what you mean, but I guess there's an audience for it.

In what feels like every other issue, someone sends a letter in either saying "I wish Japanese Band Z would tour the UK", "I wish HMV would sell J-pop" or "OMG visual kei is awesome" (I don't even pretend to know what that means).

If people are expressing interest, it makes sense for them to continue covering it.

I'm not really interested in it, but it's better than endless photos of fat girls cosplaying as Sora.

As a whole, definitely an improvement on the previous issues.

That said, the start of the MGS HD collection review was a bit of a train wreck.

The Vita version of the may not be as robust as the console versions, due to the omission of , but it's still got enough content to keep you occupied for a long while. As well as HD upgrades of and , there are versions of and to play too.

The review seems to be cut off at the end, too.

Muu_Puklip said:
It's a sad thing that both MyM and NEO are sub-standard on the basics. As a rule there shouldn't be any spelling or grammar errors in each issue. That's a minimum requirement for any worthwhile publication.

Slapdash editing and not bothering to do any proofreading gives off the correct impression that a publication is not worth paying for. It is even more unforgivable when you factor in the free sites on the internet that have proper standards. When free is better quality than paid, paid goes to the wall and deservedly so.

My biggest issue is always that most of the content I can get online for free (reviews & release info) or does not interest me. Essentially speaking there's probably going to be 1-2 articles that actually say something interesting and the rest is useless to me, I can't justify paying what they are asking for.

Not to mention I went and bought a Neo (this is a while back) that had on its splash page an article about code geass season 2, when I actually sat down to read it it was 2 paragraphs long and basically said its coming sometime to the UK, I felt massively cheated.

vashdaman said:
But print magazines surely still have a place in our lives, a place the internet can't get to, a place next to our loos.

Yes, not to mention that if you are reading a magazine on the loo, don't like, and run out of toilet paper, you've got an easy substitute.

I know that some people say that there is no point to reading the reviews because you can get them online for free. However, I think it is important to try and get a range of reviews from different people and media in order to get a total picture.

This is something I know personally with one of my other jobs. I work for the British Comedy Guide, and at the moment I am collecting every Fringe Festival review I can find of every comedy act and posting them on our website, in order to give our readers easy access to what critics are saying. Perhaps something like this service would be useful for anime and manga - links and extracts to reviews from online and print that everyone can share.

vashdaman said:
But print magazines surely still have a place in our lives, a place the internet can't get to, a place next to our loos.

That's what tablets and smartphones are for. ;)

Rosencrantz said:
My biggest issue is always that most of the content I can get online for free (reviews & release info) or does not interest me. Essentially speaking there's probably going to be 1-2 articles that actually say something interesting and the rest is useless to me, I can't justify paying what they are asking for.

Not to mention I went and bought a Neo (this is a while back) that had on its splash page an article about code geass season 2, when I actually sat down to read it it was 2 paragraphs long and basically said its coming sometime to the UK, I felt massively cheated.
I'd feel cheated too.

All these things add up. Bad editing, shoddy articles that don't give you anything worthwhile. Untrustworthy reviews. The list goes on. When the negatives outweigh the positives then there's no point buying.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that there's always a percentage of people (mostly subscribers) who keep on taking magazines they no longer like or get anything out of. Humans can be strange that way. It can be hard for people to break habits.

Ian Wolf said:
Yes, not to mention that if you are reading a magazine on the loo, don't like, and run out of toilet paper, you've got an easy substitute.
Ewww, shiny paper. Shiny paper is baaaaaad.

Ian Wolf said:
Perhaps something like this service would be useful for anime and manga - links and extracts to reviews from online and print that everyone can share.
Extending Metacritic to cover anime and manga? http://www.metacritic.com/

Hanners said:
vashdaman said:

Expensive toilet paper if you ask me.

Muu_Puklip said:
One thing I have noticed over the years is that there's always a percentage of people (mostly subscribers) who keep on taking magazines they no longer like or get anything out of. Humans can be strange that way. It can be hard for people to break habits.

My brother still buys Sight & Sound and Edge even though he rarely goes to the cinema and doesn't buy many video games (not sure when the last time he brought a video game was).

Edge even though he rarely goes to the cinema and doesn't buy many video games (not sure when the last time he brought a video game was).

This is sort of me too. Though, it's not that games don't interest me, I just so rarely have the time to play them. Yet EDGE is absolute top tier loo reading material. The price is a bit steep nowadays at £6 (though I wouldn't be adverse to using EDGE's new and improved ultra luxurious pages as a decadent substitute to toilet paper), so I have to really read an issue front to back (which in loo reading time is maybe 3 months plus) before I'll get another issue.

I once dabbled with the idea of buying an issue of Monocle- which maybe has an even greater volume of pages than EDGE- in order to impress any guests of my house whom would enter the toilet. Would be pretty classy loo material (and the rougher/thicker paper quality may be an ideal wiping substitute). I didn't pull the trigger though....was worried the shop owner would think I was a ponce....

Hanners said:
vashdaman said:

Yeah, but you really can't tear a page out of a tablet, or an iPhone when you run out of bog roll. :lol:

I read NEO to find out what and when something is going to be released, and NEO covers all distributors, Doesn't MyM just cover only MVM's releases? :wink:

the only stinker of a f***up I read in NEO was the recent front cover with Spice and Wolf with the sub-headline "economics and cat girls". :roll:

Note to MyM you shouldn't advertise those ******* fakes at tokyotoys. Neo should ashamed of themselves for knowing that TT sell fakes and still knowing that they still give them space each month

devilrules666 said:
Note to MyM you shouldn't advertise those **** fakes at tokyotoys. Neo should ashamed of themselves for knowing that TT sell fakes and still knowing that they still give them space each month

I shall mention this to the editor.

With regards to Tokyo Toys, I've just heard back from the editor:

We have recently discovered this about T/Toys. I had a meeting with Sq/Enix last week and their MD told me about it. I told them that we would pull their advert out going forward.

Back