My own personnal review on Neon Genesis Evangelion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
After hearing how good this was i thought i would buy the metal tin boxset. and i did. Last week i started watching it. I was looking forward to watching this because of the good ratings it gets. its practically praised by anime fans. And now i have finished it. I have finished watching the anime that gets so much praise. The anime thats supposed to be one of the best anime ever. After finishing it i think that it was (drum role please)...........................Good.........JUST good........it doesnt diserve the amount of praise that it gets.

The first half of the series is just a normal mecha anime and i loved it. The animation was very good. The battles were great to watch and the characters were very likable.........However

The second half got really serious and dark and all the characters starting to hate themselves and hating everything else (EMO ALERT).
I didnt like the Evas very much. They were too........i dunno know....Life like. The Angels were weird. they werent cool like other villains from other animes (Such as Majin Buu or Orochimaru)

Also there were things i didnt really understand. Such as What was Gendo Ikari trying to achieve? His wife? World control? I dont know. Also the part about Rei and the dummy plugs, i hardly understood that at all. something about a soul in a EVA? i dont know. or it could be me, cuz i do actually have a learning diffuculty. so if i didnt have that i probably would of understand it more lol. And if someone could tell me what gendo was trying to do, I would aprecite it.

The ending was ******* HORRIBLE!!! All that went on in the last episode was Shinji talking about his dull, sad life untill he realizes he can still be someone even if he doesnt pilot the TWAT. Oops i mean EVA. What i want to know is what happend after the last angel was killed. The worst ending ive seen in a anime.......No......Scratch that........The worst ending EVER!

I do believe there is a movie called The end of Evangelion. I will probably order it of the internet some day.

In summery:
7/10
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too over hyped. Its good, But doesnt diserve the praise that it gets. But still worth a watch.

now these are MY thoughts on the anime so i would like if people dont diss me because i gave "The ultimate anime" a 7 out of 10. Also i would like if people dont diss me for not understanding the religious-ness of this anime.

Eva's not an instant satisfaction anime. It's subjective whether that's a good or a bad thing.

I'd say it's near impossible to understand it with one viewing even if you had an unlimited memory and above average intelligence. My advice, get the answers to your questions about the show then rewatch it and the film.

As to the specific questions you asked

sanji no 1 said:
Also there were things i didnt really understand. Such as What was Gendo Ikari trying to achieve? His wife? World control? I dont know. Also the part about Rei and the dummy plugs, i hardly understood that at all. something about a soul in a EVA? i dont know. or it could be me, cuz i do actually have a learning diffuculty. so if i didnt have that i probably would of understand it more lol. And if someone could tell me what gendo was trying to do, I would aprecite it.

Gendo was trying to be re-united with his wife. You need to watch the film to fully understand this.

Rei's brain patterns were copied into the dummy plugs which could then be put into Evas without pilots. Again, more of this in the film.

Eva Unit's 1,2 and probably 3 had the souls of the pilot's mothers placed inside to allow the pilots to synch with the Eva.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with your review *goes to look up how to spell thoroughly* pretty thoroughly, although I didn't find it quite as confusing I don't think. I rate this in a similar way to Cowboy Bebop, WAY, WAY overrated and really not particularly great. It does not warrant a purchase in my book.

sanji no 1 said:
The Angels were weird. they werent cool like other villains from other animes (Such as Majin Buu or Orochimaru)

You know, not every anime villain is a snake lovin' psychopath and an overlarge, pink blob =P.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
sanji no 1 said:
The Angels were weird. they werent cool like other villains from other animes (Such as Majin Buu or Orochimaru)

You know, not every anime villain is a snake lovin' psychopath and an overlarge, pink blob =P.
Very true. They are giant squares as well ;D

The mass prod. evas were way more "villainesque" than all the angels in my opinion.

sanji no 1 said:
GOOD villains are like Majin Buu and Orochimaru. Not like pansy, weird looking aliens called angels

But i don't think the Angels were suposed to be seen as villains like that. I quite liked the mystery around them, the fact they just appeared (often without warning) The members of SEELE could be seen more like traditional villains with their manipulations and plottings.

Chaos said:
Very true. They are giant squares as well ;D

The mass prod. evas were way more "villainesque" than all the angels in my opinion.

The Mass Production Evas were nasty :p

sanji no 1 said:
GOOD villains are like Majin Buu and Orochimaru. Not like pansy, weird looking aliens called angels
Orochimaru is ok, but Majin buu kick ass and that's all there is to him. Nothing else. I like Cell a whole lot more in DBZ.

I think Gendo Ikari is more a villain than all the angels in Eva.

Envy in FMA is a good villain and I also like Sephiroth a lot. Shishio in Samurai X is also another great villain.

If we're talking about 'baddies', CitizenGeek >>> Orochimaru.

You shouldn't type up a review with bad grammar, swearing and a lack of confidence with regards to what you're talking about. If you don't understand something fully, and you can't explain certain aspects of the story (or, in your case, ask questions during your review!) then you should just stop. With a review you have to convince the reader that you're smart, you know what you're talking about and your thoughts are worth their time.

I like Evangelion for the simple parts I understand (the characters for instance) and dislike it for the parts I don't...which, in all honesty, amounts to all the important elements of the story. I feel that Evangelion tried too hard to be incomprehensible, pushing watchers towards reading detailed plot summaries and watching every scene like a hawk, looking for clues about what's going on. Series like that and me just don't get on very well, mainly because I'm an idiot with an awful memory.

I rate it roughly 8/10 and, despite the flaws its near incomprehensible story brings, think it's worth owning on DVD. It'll never be a favourite of mine because I don't understand many of the important plot points (and don't care to bother reading about it), but I'll also never hate it because I appreciated the excellent characters.

sanji no 1 said:
Mass production evas? I dont remember seeing them in the series.
They appear in the movie end of evangelion. Asuka's battle against them in the movie is in my opinion the best mecha fight in anime I've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back