MVM looking to get the rights back to two older series...

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:
As non-flippant suggestions I would quite like to see Kaiba or Welcome to Irabu's Office (Kuuchuu Buranko) come out over here and they have Australian releases.
I think you misspelt Dennou Coil there.

Haha, I don't want that as much as the other two, but I'd certainly pick it up as well if it appeared on Amazon/AOL in future.

R

Rui said:
No stuff we get in the UK is actually new. NHK will be new to a lot of anime fans in this particular market, and if they've waited patiently this long they're probably not the types to stress over what goes on in other regions.
They're also not the type to make any money, ether.

NHK wasn't even that good (Gonzo? Gonzo.) so what MVM are going picking up ADV's old entrails is anyone's guess.

And I won't be held responsible for people failing to know their stuff.

christor said:
So, NHK isn't new enough for you so you suggest... Yu Yu Hakousho, which is what, 20 years old?? And it'd probably sell about 7 copies :p.

Also you should probably let the Disgea thing go now! On the bright side, cos you reviewed it at least you didn't pay (money) for it
I know MVM dun have the balls to release a good show, so I'm just going to take them down as many pegs as I can so do. Also, they never had NHK before so that removed the get back part of that idea.

I was also not paid to watch Disgaea byond being allowed to keep the DVD (which I chose not to, what I'd rather do than have that POS near me is not for this board) so I conciser that a net loss for myself.

Oh for crying out loud I really hate the whole "they hate making money" mindset when someone disagrees with a business decision made by a company that they don't like...can't you be positive about anything for once?

HdE said:
Talk of Bubblegum Crisis is enough to bring me out of my lair.

I won't lie - I don't look on the show with rose-tinted specs. Parts of it are pretty naff. BUT, when it's good, it's GREAT, and the show is so iconic, so important form a historic perspective, that I really, REALLY Hope it gets a re-release in some form or other.

So, yes, Mr. MVM. You pass that along to your Boss. Pass that along like the wind!

I'd like to see Bubblegum Crisis but I've already got the series twice so it'd really have to be the Blu-Ray version to tempt me at this point. Or maybe a DVD from the blu master at a push.

Invisible Crane said:

Oh for crying out loud I really hate the whole "they hate making money" mindset when someone disagrees with a business decision made by a company that they don't like...can't you be positive about anything for once?
Well, I'm not going to buy it, and it's been out for years in the US where people can import it (and don't say that didn't happen because if we can have that arugment for Dragonball we need to have it here) so how on earth is it going to make any money?

And, what do you want me to do? I can't be positive here because it's not a good thing that's happening. Oh right, I get it!

This totally doesn't look like a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a market that has largely forgotten them in favour of Manga, Beez and Kaze by picking up a licence which, by this point, has to be relatively nonesixtant and sugercoating it as "new" even though it's a two bit Gonzo show from around five years ago.

The two old licences will not be things that should have stayed dead in obscurity and will totally be things that I would even begin to give even half a thought about buying (like YuYu Hakushou and Bubblegum Crisis).

Also, Manga's Blu Ray methods are genius and I totally love that The Anime Legends set of Outlaw Star uses the old masters from about 2000.

And done! I have been positive in a situation that has no positivity to have by the method of lying.

I was going to import NHK but now MVM are going to release it i'll be buying it from them to support the British anime scene.

Hoping by doing this it will encourage them to licence more shows :wink:

ConanThe3rd said:
This totally doesn't look like a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a market that has largely forgotten them in favour of Manga, Beez and Kaze by picking up a licence which, by this point, has to be relatively nonesixtant and sugercoating it as "new" even though it's a two bit Gonzo show from around five years ago.
Remember that MVM is the only independent UK anime company - Manga is part of Starz/Anchor Bay, Beez is part of Namco Bandai, Kaze is part of Viz/Shueisha/Shogakukan, Optimum is CAnal+/Vivendi...
There are stories of Tony funding licenses out of his own pocket.
They're "locked out" of a lot of the best titles and probably can't afford a lot of what it left, but they make the best of what they do get.

NHK hasn't been released here and I've never seen it so would like to have it. I already have all of Chobits (and Lain and Haibane if those are the rescues), but there are others who don't and there is apparently still a market for them; if Chobits wasn't doing as well as they expected they probably wouldn't be re-licensing other older titles so why not just believe that they know what they are doing?

Point in favour of MVM - and it's a HUGE one as far as I'm concerned:

Look at their catalogue of shows. Some strong shows there. Gantz. Starship Operators. Trigun. Samurai 7.

They may not be shiny, new licenses, but they're STILL IN PRINT. And that fact has been a boon for someone like me, who wanted to pick up the shows after several years away from the UK fanbase.

New, or not-so-new, Tony can count on my money for NHK. I've been waiting for that to come over here for forever. I'm also waiting for the re-print of Paranoia Agent boxset too. :wink:

I'll be getting NHK since I don't own it yet.

If Haibane is one of the re-releases, I won't be picking that up as I already have the UK box set of it. I do quite like that one though.

Mohawk52 said:
New, or not-so-new, Tony can count on my money for NHK. I've been waiting for that to come over here for forever. I'm also waiting for the re-print of Paranoia Agent boxset too. :wink:

Wasn't it already reprinted last year? Has it sold out since? That's good news (in a way :p), it's a great show and I hope more people see it.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Mohawk52 said:

Wasn't it already reprinted last year? Has it sold out since? That's good news (in a way :p), it's a great show and I hope more people see it.
Only those who are unaware of the cuts made would buy PA

memorium said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Mohawk52 said:

i was unaware that pa had any cuts when i first watched it but at the same time when i watched the episode that they cut i was like ..................what happened.
sometimes i can tell when a animes cut

memorium said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Mohawk52 said:

Really? REALLY? You'd dip out on a great show for lacking one minute or so? Of a single episode? Also "cut" it was a single cut. Not "cuts" plural. I'm not saying I defend the cuts (especially since they were partially left in the episode preview) but because I don't see how missing a single minute would ruin an entire series. It's like SW fans who complain that Greedo shooting first ruins Star Wars. Was it really that important? Do you really care THAT much that you'd deny yourself the entertainment of watching the rest of the film for a single alteration?

Back