MVM looking to get the rights back to two older series...

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
A Facebook post discovered this morning...

Riding on high with the news of getting NHK, we should be getting the rights back to two older series long out of print, yet firm favourites. More news as and when we know for sure!

So what MVM titles are out of print and hard to get now...

I want it to be Bubblegum Crisis, but I think the masters for that, and older titles like Vampire Princess Miyu and Blue Gender went up in the VDC fire (and Blue Gender's licence was pulled by Funimation and given to Revelation, along with Yu Yu Hakusho, Gunslinger Girl and Fruits Basket)

Could MVM be getting some of those back, or Kiddy Grade, Tenchi Muyo or the original Oh My Goddess?

I think it will probably be something more recent. Haibane Renmei's licence has been allowed to lapse, and certain volumes are rare. But fans have been begging for more Black Lagoon, and I think this will definitely be top of their list.

Two of Fruits Basket, Lain, and Haibane Renmei would be my bets. I don't really know how licensing works, though.

I'm surprised Black Lagoon remains out of print in the US and UK, and I would definitely expect to see it back at some point.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Two of Fruits Basket, Lain, and Haibane Renmei would be my bets. I don't really know how licensing works, though.

I'm surprised Black Lagoon remains out of print in the US and UK, and I would definitely expect to see it back at some point.

Agreed, BL is a series I'd pick up if it wasn't going for extortionate OOP prices, but since they say "Long OOP" I'm guessing it won't be that.

I don't suppose there's any chance it might be Evangelion? Or do Manga own the rights since they got Rebuild?

Sparrowsabre7 said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

Agreed, BL is a series I'd pick up if it wasn't going for extortionate OOP prices, but since they say "Long OOP" I'm guessing it won't be that.

I don't suppose there's any chance it might be Evangelion? Or do Manga own the rights since they got Rebuild?

From the context of the statement, I'm certain they mean a show that they have released in the past, but have allowed the rights to lapse.

Didn't they release KOR on VHS once upon a time? You don't think...?

Paradox295 said:
VDC Fire? What happened there?

It's probably gonna be Haibane and Lain. Black Lagoon would be cool, too.

Remember the Sony DADC fire last month that torched a whole lot of independent film companies stock?

Well back in 2005, there weren't any riots, but the VDC factory that replicates DVDs went up in smoke, torching a whole lot of stock for a whole lot of small distributors.

In terms of anime, this time around it was just Beez that got hit, but back then, MVM, Manga Entertainment, and ADV (I think maybe Beez as well) all used VDC to press DVDs. Manga quickly switched to another replicator, but MVM was especially badly hit, their new releases delayed by about six months. Worse for them, they had some of their masters on site, and they were destroyed. Newer series at the time, they could get new masters created, but older shows like Vampire Princess Miyu and Bubblegum Crisis, they were gone forever.

Just Passing Through said:

I remember buying the OVA on VHS when MVM released it (still have it somewhere) and according to Wikipedia they also released the first movie,

In the UK, only the OVA series and first movie were released on VHS by MVM Films, subsequently attaining the somewhat dubious distinction of being the worst-selling anime title ever in the UK. (Clements & McCarthy 2001:359)

As I already own the OVAs and movies on Region 1 dvd now, I would rather see the series being released but I don't see it happening as it has lapsed with AnimEigo.

No, I think we can safely rule that one out. Love Hina aside I'm strugging to think of shounen romance or romantic comedy that's even seen the light of day here, which probably says a lot about how well those genres are received.

EDIT: just seen that "worst selling anime title evar!!1" remark. If true, that wouldn't bode well...

Saw that it was listed in Neo this morning, well chuffed with the NHK licence been wanting to own this on DVD for ages.

So hope black lagoon is the other licence, been wanting the second barrage on dvd for ages but no one had any stock :(

Re: MVM looking to get the rights back to two older series..

Could MVM be getting some of those back, or Kiddy Grade, Tenchi Muyo or the original Oh My Goddess?
Kiddy Grade is licensed in the UK by FUNimation so is one of the "lost" titles that Revelation no longer has the rights to and neither does Manga.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Lain and Haibane were Geneon licenses that have since been picked up by FUNimation so they may fall into the same categeory as Chobits - which MVM eventually did manage to get back.

I don't see much of a point in getting back the Oh My Goddess OVAs and I say that for two reasons:

1. Not all of the OVAs were released outside of Japan IIRC, only the first 3 were so there'll be little point unless they get all of them

2. You might as well get the TV series, the only concievable edge that the OVAs have is the opening theme and the artstyle, TV series has a more accurate plot

Would love to see Black Lagoon though and if they do, hopefully they'll finish it off as it's still uncomplete IIRC, maybe the original Evangelion (MVM did have that series right?), or Fruits Basket, that's the only Shoujo series I can watch besides Kare Kano and not consider it a guilty pleasure.

But all of the OMG OAVs did come out...several times outside Japan. Since they have the TV already it probably makes a lot of sense to get more back in circulation if it is doing well. Tenchi Muyo however I suspect has long run its course by now.

Black Lagoon would make an awful lot of sense, therefore it's probably something else entirely.

R

Did they? It might be the fact that I can't find any of them subbed past the 3rd one online or the fact that everywherre I look only has volume 1 that made me assume

Re: MVM looking to get the rights back to two older series..

Shiroi Hane said:
Lain and Haibane were Geneon licenses that have since been picked up by FUNimation so they may fall into the same categeory as Chobits - which MVM eventually did manage to get back.
So is what MVM can acquire generally contingent on what they can sub-license from the US, or do they go straight to Japan in some cases? They still have Paranoia Agent and Requiem From the Darkness, two old Geneon licenses that must have lapsed by now and haven't been rescued AFAIK. It's all too confusing for me...

Rui said:
I have the R1 [of Oh My Goddess! OVA], but I'm pretty sure I remember the R2UK coming out as well. And the second half was definitely out on VHS.
It was definitely all out on DVD as I paid £20 for each of the two releases. And that's in addition to the £13 I spent on each of the first three VHS tapes (couldn't bring myself to buy the last two). And I don't even like the show ;_;

Better watch your language on these forums, you never know who's reading...

It's not Black Lagoon... :(

Latest Facebook post...

Not wanting to burst people's bubbles but I can tell you its NOT Black Lagoon sadly. Though what's been discussed on Animeuknews forums are some good guesses. IF - big IF, all goes well we're hoping to get the more popular title out in time for December!

Back