MVM looking to get the rights back to two older series...

Just Passing Through said:
Better watch your language on these forums, you never know who's reading...

It's not Black Lagoon... :(

Latest Facebook post...

Not wanting to burst people's bubbles but I can tell you its NOT Black Lagoon sadly. Though what's been discussed on Animeuknews forums are some good guesses. IF - big IF, all goes well we're hoping to get the more popular title out in time for December!

Ah.

Well, they said "more popular title". Lain is more popular than Haibane, right?

Also, Hi, Tony. Why don't you post here? You'd be more cooler than Jerome, and almost as cool as Andrew :lol:

iv watched Lain and its not fantastic nor is it terrible. maybe its me but i really dont know why everyone's so hyped about Lain.
i might need to rewatch it to get what everyones saying about Lain.

but anyways look on MVM WIKI and it'll give you all the titles they have licensed to sell.
im still rooting for bubblegun crisis

Ooh we are being listened to!

Shame about Black Lagoon, I know a lot of people missed out on that so I hope it's still being pursued in the long term. At least they stopped people getting their hopes up quickly.

Hmm, it's hard to guess which of all the strong possibilities the rescued series are going to be, especially as actual sales may be very different from how popular we think things are. Lain must definitely be more appealing than Haibane Renmei to the average casual buyer, though.

I also noticed ROD the TV seemed to have become scarce in these parts, so perhaps that is one which needs renewing? It's not really long out of print, though.

It was definitely all out on DVD as I paid £20 for each of the two releases. And that's in addition to the £13 I spent on each of the first three VHS tapes (couldn't bring myself to buy the last two). And I don't even like the show ;_;

The funny thing is, I don't like Oh My Goddess either. Only the wonderful opening really stuck in my mind, but it was so high profile in fandom that I ended up trying to like it anyway.

I remember buying the tapes at a comic shop for an unthinkable (and very marked up) fortune back in the day, then it seemed natural to upgrade to the DVDs. I think the reason I have mixed regions is that I merged collections with my husband and we both had it. He actually genuinely likes the series though.

R

Re: MVM looking to get the rights back to two older series..

fabricatedlunatic said:
So is what MVM can acquire generally contingent on what they can sub-license from the US, or do they go straight to Japan in some cases? They still have Paranoia Agent and Requiem From the Darkness, two old Geneon licenses that must have lapsed by now and haven't been rescued AFAIK. It's all too confusing for me...
They definitely do license direct from Japan - their Gonzo titles for example. I believe Geneon USA handled all the English rights so Geneon stuff would have been licensed from them rather than from Japan (I believe this is how Kadokawa USA worked too, and it looks like Aniplex USA is going the same way also).
What we know is that MVM's license for Chobits expired (or was otherwise cancelled) at some point and ended up with FUNimation, and that MVM had trouble getting it back.
It could be that their existing Geneon licenses are safe until the original term expires, although Chobits and Paranoia agent were both released in 2005 and only a few months apart. Perhaps they are 'safe' until a new license supersedes them, given that Paranoia Agent hasn't been rescued in the US yet. Maybe Chobits did just expire and, having problems renewing or extending it, they were quick to do something to save PA? We can only speculate unless someone feels like being forthcoming, but Tony is less accessible and, if there are really only 2 people at MVM (I'm guessing the second is an Andrew :p), also very busy.

We're being listened to? Hey, MVM, say on Facebook that you think I'm a jerk...dare you =3

I'm taking it that by 'very good guesses' that someone guessed right...

Joshawott said:
We're being listened to? Hey, MVM, say on Facebook that you think I'm a jerk...dare you =3

I'm taking it that by 'very good guesses' that someone guessed right...

The two we're [hoping] to get have been mentioned on here yes.

Welcome, Mr MVM!

And thanks to Shiroi Hane for that interesting post.

Rui said:
The funny thing is, I don't like Oh My Goddess either. Only the wonderful opening really stuck in my mind, but it was so high profile in fandom that I ended up trying to like it anyway.
I remember the first episode of Oh My Goddess getting 5 stars in Manga Mania. I gave it a shot because it was was unique amongst what was available here at the time; a gentle romantic comedy, subtitled, and with a huge fan buzz surrounding it. I did actually like OMG at first, but my interest waned over the years.

Oh cool, cryptic industry hints! Made all the more entertaining by the voice I have created for the creature in that MVM logo to read out the posts.

Also shocked and awed that off all the mish-mash of maybe-not-so-good shows that "Everyone" from the "Before Time" likes, OMG is the one getting pilloried.

That will earn you some +rep, even if ̶P̶i̶r̶o̶t̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶ I do have some respect for the series' place in history.

Bah, I won't hear anything said against Lodoss ;_; I even liked the TV version because I'm a tragic person.

Good to see you here, MVM!

R

@MVM

ummm sorry but i have to say this - few mouths ago MVM said they would be back in the game and i was looking farward to new releases but all we're getting is old titles *i know we got the new battle vixens* but thats all and we're getting two old titles. altho i wouldn't mind getting my hands on *bubblegum crisis*.

what other titles are coming out in the future

animefreak17 said:
@MVM

ummm sorry but i have to say this - few mouths ago MVM said they would be back in the game and i was looking farward to new releases but all we're getting is old titles *i know we got the new battle vixens* but thats all and we're getting two old titles. altho i wouldn't mind getting my hands on *bubblegum crisis*.

what other titles are coming out in the future

Welcome to the NHK is new as well don't forget. And while our other two titles may be re-releases they haven't been available for a few years and theres people constantly getting into anime who would have never seen them...so re-release is never a bad thing.

With regards to Bubblegum Crisis I'll pass the comments to the Boss.

Make my day, you Disgaea peddling soandsos! Release Yu Yu Hakousho in the season boxes, I dare, you, I double dare you, Melon farmers!

And NHK is about as new as Disco. It being available in the UK for the first time doesn't magically make it new. It just means it took a really long time to get out here.

Make my day, you Disgaea peddling soandsos! Release Yu Yu Hakousho in the season boxes, I dare, you, I double dare you, Melon farmers!

And NHK is about as new as Disco. It being available in the UK for the first time doesn't magically make it new. It just means it took a really long time to get out here.

So, NHK isn't new enough for you so you suggest... Yu Yu Hakousho, which is what, 20 years old?? And it'd probably sell about 7 copies :p.

Also you should probably let the Disgea thing go now! On the bright side, cos you reviewed it at least you didn't pay (money) for it
Good to see another company rep on here MVM, don't let Conan scare you off!!

MVM said:

So it's not BGC, a clue! Can we request other things too? >.>

As non-flippant suggestions I would quite like to see Kaiba or Welcome to Irabu's Office (Kuuchuu Buranko) come out over here and they have Australian releases. I could import them but I don't usually import from that part of the world often because it's effort and I'm backlogged with stuff anyway. Would that kind of suggestion be more viable than the usual ones, since presumably they have already been done up for PAL and translated?

I know Manga has gone on record to complain that sub-only releases are commercial suicide and sell half as much as bilingual ones, but since MVM is also in the live action side of things where sub-only foreign cinema is clearly viable, it would be interesting to see more niche anime come out this way rather than having to pull dubs from America and deal with the problem that most of the hardcore fans already imported. Beez is doing it and I'd like to support more of that kind of thing!

ConanThe3rd said:

Melon farmers?

No stuff we get in the UK is actually new. NHK will be new to a lot of anime fans in this particular market, and if they've waited patiently this long they're probably not the types to stress over what goes on in other regions.

R

Rui said:
MVM said:

So it's not BGC, a clue! Can we request other things too? >.>

As non-flippant suggestions I would quite like to see Kaiba or Welcome to Irabu's Office (Kuuchuu Buranko) come out over here and they have Australian releases. I could import them but I don't usually import from that part of the world often because it's effort and I'm backlogged with stuff anyway. Would that kind of suggestion be more viable than the usual ones, since presumably they have already been done up for PAL and translated?

I know Manga has gone on record to complain that sub-only releases are commercial suicide and sell half as much as bilingual ones, but since MVM is also in the live action side of things where sub-only foreign cinema is clearly viable, it would be interesting to see more niche anime come out this way rather than having to pull dubs from America and deal with the problem that most of the hardcore fans already imported. Beez is doing it and I'd like to support more of that kind of thing!

R

I would definitely support a sub only release if it was something I was interested in =)

On a not unrelated note, I would totally buy the ever-loving **** out of a sub only Monster =DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Talk of Bubblegum Crisis is enough to bring me out of my lair.

I won't lie - I don't look on the show with rose-tinted specs. Parts of it are pretty naff. BUT, when it's good, it's GREAT, and the show is so iconic, so important form a historic perspective, that I really, REALLY Hope it gets a re-release in some form or other.

So, yes, Mr. MVM. You pass that along to your Boss. Pass that along like the wind!

Back