UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

I'll throw in another recommendation for Land of the Lustrous, tis very good and about as close as I have ever been to picking up a manga after watching an anime... We need a season 2 ;_;

Can I be the first to say that I didn't like it 😜
Very pretty certainly, but I really didn't like the plot. Not much got explained and, like mentioned, nothing gets wrapped up by the end. The MC's growth is down to nothing but luck. Like they're a bit of a ditz and brittle. They stupidly break their arms and legs and then get new ones made of a harder material and thus are stronger and quicker without any effort on their part! Just stupid!
Having said that £15 isn't a big risk or you could try HiDive. I think it's available to watch with ads, not sure as I'm a member.

Can I be the first to say that I didn't like it 😜
Very pretty certainly, but I really didn't like the plot. Not much got explained and, like mentioned, nothing gets wrapped up by the end. The MC's growth is down to nothing but luck. Like they're a bit of a ditz and brittle. They stupidly break their arms and legs and then get new ones made of a harder material and thus are stronger and quicker without any effort on their part! Just stupid!
Having said that £15 isn't a big risk or you could try HiDive. I think it's available to watch with ads, not sure as I'm a member.

I mean the series is ongoing so it was pretty much impossible to have any sort of conclusive end. Given how much the manga ramps up the chaos in subsequent volumes, it was honestly the best stopping point they could find.

As for the best of your comment, I’m honestly not sure you quite got the point of show if you viewed the changes Phos undergoes as some kind of unearned character development. That’s not what Land of the Lustrous is attempting at all. If anything it’s using Phos, and later on the rest of the gems as a microcosm for the human experience of living.

Nothing Phos experiences prove to be a net gain, if anything they’re likely more miserable than they were at the beginning. Their various trials & traumas aren’t even necessarily meant to be taken as literal, but rather serve as analogues for the kind of various events that cause the loss of innocence and changing of personality or principals as one enters into adulthood & beyond; whether that be from accidental trauma (the snail), physical betrayal by someone you trust (the ocean), self-harm (the ice), external supplements for perceived deficiencies (the gold alloy), the loss of idolising your parents and several other elements that go beyond the scope of the anime. It’s the kind of story that would be incredibly unpleasant to watch in a show about humans, but by making the cast gems, you can abstract all the more physical connotations into the realm of pure emotion & psyche.

The fact that one of the few requests mangaka Haruko Ichikawa made to Studio Orange was to not pass judgement on whether the changes Phos undergoes are good or bad really highlights the decision as being deliberate. Growing up is a painful experience, but whether you long for it, yearn for the nostalgia of childhood, or most likely both, it’s an inevitable step to move forward. Land of the Lustrous is essentially a fable about those experiences, wrapped in a sci-fi puzzle box. A story where no path may lead to a happy ending, but your only choice is to move forward. Or to quote the manga:

Eqr-jfMXEAcituP.jpg

So yeah, Land of the Lustrous is essentially another Nier Automata when it comes to asking difficult, often unanswerable existential questions, while not overwhelming the viewer with lectures or lore dumps. If that sounds intriguing to anyone, I'd definitely take a gamble on the show.

Last edited:
Ah another show where you have to actually think about the point of it. I think I've demonstrated enough in other threads that I don't really get shows like that, see my comments on Lain for example.
asking difficult, often unanswerable existential questions
I mean what's the point in asking unanswerable questions? I think I'm just very logic driven, stuff has to make sense to me. Also I'm very scientifically minded as well, I do have a Bachelor of Science degree in Archaeology rather than an Arts degree, so philosophical questions don't mean anything to me either. Is there a God? No, because you can't prove one exists, but we can prove with science how we got here through chemistry and biology, and why here in particular with physics.
Now that's not to say I don't enjoy stories with gods in them, see well loads of anime and the Greek myths for example. The question of why people made them up is an interesting one!

Ah another show where you have to actually think about the point of it. I think I've demonstrated enough in other threads that I don't really get shows like that, see my comments on Lain for example.

I mean what's the point in asking unanswerable questions? I think I'm just very logic driven, stuff has to make sense to me. Also I'm very scientifically minded as well, I do have a Bachelor of Science degree in Archaeology rather than an Arts degree, so philosophical questions don't mean anything to me either. Is there a God? No, because you can't prove one exists, but we can prove with science how we got here through chemistry and biology, and why here in particular with physics.
Now that's not to say I don't enjoy stories with gods in them, see well loads of anime and the Greek myths for example. The question of why people made them up is an interesting one!

Coming from watching Blade Runner the other night do robots dream of electric sheep? :p
Coming from playing Umineko can you prove that devil's proof that that there isn't a god? :p

Coming from watching Blade Runner the other night do robots dream of electric sheep? :p
It's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' 😜 Probably not because they would process their memories the way computers do. Replicants on the other hand seem to be genetically engineered and thus have brains, so probably would.
Coming from playing Umineko can you prove that devil's proof that that there isn't a god? :p
Don't get that reference!

Yeah, it definitely sounds like we’re on very different sides when it comes to perceiving & examining the world, although that actually also serves as a beneficial litmus test for whether they’d be interested in the show. For example, if someone were to ask me whether there was a god or not, I’d be less interested in about proving if they existed or not, or more curious about how human belief propels action in their name, regardless of authenticity, and whether or not we effectively will them into a form of existence through our physical effect on the world. Funnily enough, Land of the Lustrous could arguably be described as having an analogue for that very concept with Sensei, and how blind belief vs loss of faith will affect a society, but that’s going into future spoiler territory.

Oh, and coincidentally my undergrad degree was also in Ancient History & Archaeology, although that was a loooong time ago, & as you might expect, I clearly veered more to the anthropological side :)

Don't get that reference!

I won't spoil Umineko as it's a damn good VN so I recomend it, but in laymens terms a Devil's Proof is a logic argument which states that a lack of evidence cannot prove a negative. So in the example "does god exist" if we can still cuss "god damnit" then we acknowledge a probable existance of god whether we believe or not and the answer can no longer be a negative until actual physical proof that god doesn't exist is presented.

So in context of your post we need to prove that chemistry, biology and physics are not something created by god.

I paraphrased a bit so it might not make as much sense as I hoped sorry

It's an early attack by the Witches but effective until the Hempel's Raven argument destroys it

No, because you can't prove one exists,
Scientifically speaking I think it would be inaccurate to state something doesn't exist as you may not have the means to prove it; as an example people previously not knowing for a fact that the earth isn't flat or not knowing of the constituents of matter at an atomic level, etc.
I won't spoil Umineko as it's a damn good VN so I recomend i
I didn't realise umineko was available in the UK and was hoping for a release on switch or for MVM to bring the anime, if that is comparable!

I didn't realise umineko was available in the UK and was hoping for a release on switch or for MVM to bring the anime, if that is comparable!

It is indeed for sale in the UK 100% translated as is the prequel Higurashi When They Cry and the sequel Ciconia When They Cry

Ryukishi 07 (the creator) after hearing that there were western fans went out of his way to make sure we could play it, and Ciconia in particular is getting releases in parity with Japan as each chapter comes out.

Last edited:
i didnt know there was a sequal to higurashi however they were looking at doing a umineko remake via kickstarter but no progress yet on that as yet
Just to clarify:
Higurashi is the first VN
Umineko is the 2nd.
Ciconia is the 3rd.

It's strongly recommended to play them in order but some do accidently play them out of order.

The kickstarter remake is dead sadly but the modding community basically has already made it just as it was promised to be minus the english dub.

Last edited:
It is indeed for sale in the UK 100% translated as is the prequel Higurashi When They Cry and the sequel Ciconia When They Cry

Ryukishi 07 (the creator) after hearing that there were western fans went out of his way to make sure we could play it, and Ciconia in particular is getting releases in parity with Japan as each chapter comes out.
Sweet, always wanted to get in on this after watching higurashi but didn't think it was available in any form here and certainly not in English. Was hopeful about a switch version but on review it seems one is planned but only for Japan? Right, will have to sign up to steam and hope I can play on my phone. Didn't even know there was a third one but this shopping suggestion from Google now makes sense:

Screenshot_20210102-230832_Chrome.jpg

i didnt know there was a sequal to higurashi
Is it meant to be a sequel or a separate story in the same universe? Actually I don't want to know in case of spoilers!

Sweet, always wanted to get in on this after watching higurashi but didn't think it was available in any form here and certainly not in English. Was hopeful about a switch version but on review it seems one is planned but only for Japan? Right, will have to sign up to steam and hope I can play on my phone. Didn't even know there was a third one but this shopping suggestion from Google now makes sense:

View attachment 16396

Is it meant to be a sequel or a separate story in the same universe? Actually I don't want to know in case of spoilers!

I want that poster...

It's set in the same universe but the stories are different, there are returning characters however. So while you won't get any direct spoilers it does make it easier to guess the mystery. Honestly it's strongly recommended to play them in order but you can just play Umineko if you really want to.

When They Cry is my favorite visual novel series. If you have any questions about the games we can make a thread if you like and you can tag me :)

Last edited:
Back