UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Slipcovers are nice as in you don't have to worry about which side you put stuff into the rows/piles. This is incredibly convenient for me because my room is like a big rubic's cube or tetris field and if I am having one pile in one hand and need half of the other hand to prevent the rows from tumbling all over, a "damn, I need to turn this around!" gets rather painful to do with just 3 fingers. But on the other hand, if I am not quick enough to prevent the half row in the shelf to tumble all over, slipcovers are the first to get damaged. (Aside from the usual tansportation issues...) Also, print on cardbox does look a bit diffrent than print on cover wrap paper (below plastic). Unless the cardbox got a lot of scratches on transport/tumbling over, it has nicer colours.

Sidewards slipcovers or boxes are obviously still better. I'm a sucker for BD sized artbox chipboxes in particular.

Slipcover you mean those pieces of cardboard that go over the case..... yeah I usually just throw mine in the bin, didn't realize you were supposed to collect them.
There are people who would buy those slips from you, I'm sure.

Question is what sort of release will it be? If it's just a standard Blu Ray Case I'll import for the slipcover or seek out the LE release. It is cool to see more titles like this being released though.
The US one for Heaven's Lost Property is in a DVD case though. One of the earlier combos where everything was still stuffed in DVD cases.

Girlish Number does interest me quite. I've had my eyes set on the Sentai one so far, but a UK one is cool, too. Hopefully the logos are places in a way they don't hurt the artwork. (Any chance for a reversible cover btw?)

Slipcovers are nice as in you don't have to worry about which side you put stuff into the rows/piles. This is incredibly convenient for me because my room is like a big rubic's cube or tetris field and if I am having one pile in one hand and need half of the other hand to prevent the rows from tumbling all over, a "damn, I need to turn this around!" gets rather painful to do with just 3 fingers. But on the other hand, if I am not quick enough to prevent the half row in the shelf to tumble all over, slipcovers are the first to get damaged. (Aside from the usual tansportation issues...) Also, print on cardbox does look a bit diffrent than print on cover wrap paper (below plastic). Unless the cardbox got a lot of scratches on transport/tumbling over, it has nicer colours.

Sidewards slipcovers or boxes are obviously still better. I'm a sucker for BD sized artbox chipboxes in particular.

There are people who would buy those slips from you, I'm sure.

The US one for Heaven's Lost Property is in a DVD case though. One of the earlier combos where everything was still stuffed in DVD cases.
Yeah I noticed that HLP comes In a DVD sized case, it's strange but since I own several Funi LEs that are DVD sized it isn't as much of an issue (though why they did a bunch DVD sized and then changed them is a mystery in the first place.) In any case I'll see what MVM do, there are other releases of theirs that I'm interested in anyhow.

Yeah I noticed that HLP comes In a DVD sized case, it's strange but since I own several Funi LEs that are DVD sized it isn't as much of an issue (though why they did a bunch DVD sized and then changed them is a mystery in the first place.) In any case I'll see what MVM do, there are other releases of theirs that I'm interested in anyhow.
No real mystery to me though. BD (or having a BD player) wasn't quite as common at the time, so casual buyers from retail or the like probably were expected to be more reluctant to get it.

No real mystery to me though. BD (or having a BD player) wasn't quite as common at the time, so casual buyers from retail or the like probably were expected to be more reluctant to get it.
That is a valid point, now I think about it I did read somewhere that the use of DVD sized cases was due to how retailers would display the sets alongside DVDs so it does make some sense.

Question is what sort of release will it be? If it's just a standard Blu Ray Case I'll import for the slipcover or seek out the LE release. It is cool to see more titles like this being released though.
I'd say considering HLP came out in the US and Austraila about 48 years ago and they're region free and cost under £20 they've got to do something a little special or at the very least not just a barebones minimum effort 'we've released it. You will all buy it. Thanks'
Here's an idea, do something that hasn't been done but is still special. Release the first one with an art box that holds season 2 or shock horror the film as well! That way you can set the first one at a higher price point to cover costs and still bang out those barebones releases for future releases as there's already somewhere for them to go!

I'd say considering HLP came out in the US and Austraila about 48 years ago and they're region free and cost under £20 they've got to do something a little special or at the very least not just a barebones minimum effort 'we've released it. You will all buy it. Thanks'
Here's an idea, do something that hasn't been done but is still special. Release the first one with an art box that holds season 2 or shock horror the film as well! That way you can set the first one at a higher price point to cover costs and still bang out those barebones releases for future releases as there's already somewhere for them to go!
I like the idea of that, MVM are very capable of producing great releases so if they did something like this I'd imagine it'd turn out good.

I like the idea of that, MVM are very capable of producing great releases so if they did something like this I'd imagine it'd turn out good.
To be perfectly honest if they do just bang out a barebones release I can't see any reason for anyone to buy it over the US release. That will most likely be the same discs and £10 cheaper. It kills me to say it as I try to buy UK releases whenever possible (hell I still haven't given up the Gundam ghost... yet) but this late in the game if it is a barebones, why bother?

To be perfectly honest if they do just bang out a barebones release I can't see any reason for anyone to buy it over the US release. That will most likely be the same discs and £10 cheaper. It kills me to say it as I try to buy UK releases whenever possible (hell I still haven't given up the Gundam ghost... yet) but this late in the game if it is a barebones, why bother?
Season 1 is £24.49 on amazon US. MVM have season one for £24.49. Seems fine to me.

It's actually £18.83 plus £5.23 for delivery making it a total of £24.06, but considering its shipped from the US and could be damaged during delivery I think paying the extra 43 p is the most sensible option. Plus a lot of casual fans don't import so there's always people who will buy the uk edition over the other available options.

It's actually £18.83 plus £5.23 for delivery making it a total of £24.06, but considering its shipped from the US and could be damaged during delivery I think paying the extra 43 p is the most sensible option. Plus a lot of casual fans don't import so there's always people who will buy the uk edition over the other available options.

Exactly, why bother importing when the price is the same. Its an odd pick up granted, but im sure there are plenty of people who dont have the show. Have to say the final film in the series is a trainwreck. Id be more than happy if that never saw the light of day over here

That's through Amazon paying their import fees. Through the marketplace option they're £19'ish plus £1.26 delivery. And that's both seasons, available right now without having to wait until MVM release.
But obviously that fluctuates as I picked up the movie for £10.90 yesterday (On prime too do no delivery and next day)
Any casuals who may hear about it and search Amazon are just going to find the US releases too so that also works against the MVM release...

Through the marketplace option they're £19'ish plus £1.26 delivery.
yeah but they don't pay the import fees so you could be paying more than that, and like Grav said season 2 isn't region B and a lot of casual fans don't have a multi region player, so for a lot of people buying the uk edition is the most sensible option.

Back