UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Chrome is going to start marking all HTTP sites as not secure in July, it's time to move your entire site over to HTTPS @MVM

Google Online Security Blog: A secure web is here to stay
Will that actually change anything though? I use Firefox personally but the only thing it means for me is that there's no little green padlock in the address bar. Or is Google going to use its already worrying power and influence to force websites that don't adhere to their ideas for the internet to become unusable on their browsers?

Will that actually change anything though? I use Firefox personally but the only thing it means for me is that there's no little green padlock in the address bar. Or is Google going to use its already worrying power and influence to force websites that don't adhere to their ideas for the internet to become unusable on their browsers?
It'll just be a "Not Secure" tag in the top left for now, but who knows if it'll change in the future. There's no harm in making sites change over to HTTPS, it should have been over and done with ages ago.

Not all sites need to be secure - it depends what kind of information is exchanged.

I'm sorry but I have to jump in here and state that this is at best misguided and at worst downright dangerous.

HTTP is broken. It has been broken for years because it was designed for a system where you trust the components. The internet is untrusted. Nothing is going to fix it aside from a transition of the ENTIRE web to HTTPS. It is trivial for an actor with to insert malicious content into a HTTP response.

Want to browse a HTTP website from a coffee shop? You may get JS injected and end up mining cryptocurrency for someone (seen in the wild). Only fix is entire web moves to HTTPS. This is a single example, many more exist, you cannot mitigate this kind of thing unless you move everything to HTTPS.

Not worried about public WiFi networks? There are a whole host of exploit paths that this transition is heading towards closing off. We are some years away but non HTTPS web is dead (Chrome steps are first of MANY moves towards full HTTP depreciation).

Any website that fails to provide full HTTPS capability to end users is right now opening them up to the above kinds of issues, and people perpetuating the myth of "it's not a problem because no data anyone cares about" are just adding more webmasters who will have to deal with this down the road when a full block comes in. (Or pushing that block further into the future because, hey... at least google have reasonable telemetry on this...meaning everyone is at risk for longer)

Apologies for the rant, but I spend too much of my day dealing with trying to (painfully) move forwards SSL(TLS) config in a controlled and iterative way to let this one go...

Really surprised to see Heaven's Lost Property is finally getting a uk release, big respect to MVM for finally bringing it over to the uk.
Question is what sort of release will it be? If it's just a standard Blu Ray Case I'll import for the slipcover or seek out the LE release. It is cool to see more titles like this being released though.

Slipcover you mean those pieces of cardboard that go over the case..... yeah I usually just throw mine in the bin, didn't realize you were supposed to collect them.

Lol they sure are inconvenient. A cover that's more damage prone than what it's covering. They're often too tight and you have to struggle to remove them, then find somewhere safe to dump it whilst you watch whatever and then the edges frequently pucker or tear (AL's LE's are often a pest too, but they do tend to look pretty until the art book, cards etc fall out).

I can't bring myself to destroy them though but I'm not concerned if something I buy is lacking it.

I know my ghibli collection would drive some people mental because a quarter or so are lacking their slips!

I like those slip covers, but they are super annoying, 99% of the time they arrived damaged and worn, then my collection looks like i've been neglecting it :/

Yeah, to me O-card slipcovers are the most asinine things ever made - who in their right mind would design a product with bare, cut cardboard edges that are so fragile and prone to fraying and mushrooming? I hate O-slips with a passion - that is why I import so many AL CE releases with chipboard slipboxes to get away from the slips that are so common on US releases. But, I am pretty much forced to keep the slips and not throw them away; otherwise, if I ever wanted to sell any of my titles that originally came with a slip, people are less likely to want them without the slip and they would sell for a much lesser price.

My issue with slipcovers is when the actual case has different artwork. Because Funimation has been doing that a lot recently and if the slipcover goes, then the product itself would look rather incomplete. I don't mind the slipcover going if the artwork is the same all-around but that's just inconsistency insanity right there.

Guess I should have stayed quiet... For me slipcovers help me to align my releases better and have more uniformity between my standard anime and LE/CE sets. I do understand people's frustrations with them though, they're a pain in several ways. I keep mine in protective sleeves so they don't fray or get damaged. I do personally prefer LE sets anyway. Maybe I just have collectors OCD about there not being one where they're should be...

My issue with slipcovers is when the actual case has different artwork. Because Funimation has been doing that a lot recently and if the slipcover goes, then the product itself would look rather incomplete. I don't mind the slipcover going if the artwork is the same all-around but that's just inconsistency insanity right there.
This happened with the Anime Classics release of Chobits that I can't locate a slip for. Means I can't display it with the others.

This happened with the Anime Classics release of Chobits that I can't locate a slip for. Means I can't display it with the others.
On another note Funimation did re-release some titles without slipcovers (Armitage, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Peacemaker, X (TV)) so perhaps you could add it with them as a special 'Funimation Anime Classics No Slipcover Collection' lol

On another note Funimation did re-release some titles without slipcovers (Armitage, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Peacemaker, X (TV)) so perhaps you could add it with them as a special 'Funimation Anime Classics No Slipcover Collection' lol
Well that explains why my Armitage set didn't have one.

It's all or nothing for me with slipcovers. I'll keep them if I get slipcovers for all releases in a series, but if some are missing them (like with the Ghibli films) then the others go in a drawer or in the bin depending on their condition.

Back