UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Does anyone know how MVM usually handles Sentai's premium editions? I don't know all that much about Sentai's releases, but off the top of my head MVM have replicated the premium sets of Monthly Nozaki Kun and No Game No Life. Basically I'm wondering about Flip Flappers, as I know MVM are doing a collectors edition, but is it likely that they'll replicate it exactly as I reallllly want that 250 page artbook. £79.99 rrp sounds like it could have a nice artbook, but I've noticed that MVM have listed it as BD/DVD whereas Sentai's release is BD only, so that's already a difference.

Does anyone know how MVM usually handles Sentai's premium editions? I don't know all that much about Sentai's releases, but off the top of my head MVM have replicated the premium sets of Monthly Nozaki Kun and No Game No Life. Basically I'm wondering about Flip Flappers, as I know MVM are doing a collectors edition, but is it likely that they'll replicate it exactly as I reallllly want that 250 page artbook. £79.99 rrp sounds like it could have a nice artbook, but I've noticed that MVM have listed it as BD/DVD whereas Sentai's release is BD only, so that's already a difference.

It varies on whether MVM will be able to get access to select items from either the US or Australian releases. Most of the limited editions of the Sentai titles have been based on the Sentai releases while some such as GATE were based on the Australian version (due to crazy design with Sentai's). Regarding Flip Flappers and probably Grimoire of Zero as well, the main and pretty much only focus of the limited editions is the artbook so I would assume that MVM would try and acquire them unless Madman have something up their sleeves. It's worth noting that artbooks weren't included in some sets (Nozaki & No Game No Life as examples).

TL;DR Flip Flappers will most likely come with the artbook for its limited edition, but it depends on approvals and what the Australian release has (as Sentai ditched DVDs for newer titles so this will be a PAL author).

It varies on whether MVM will be able to get access to select items from either the US or Australian releases. Most of the limited editions of the Sentai titles have been based on the Sentai releases while some such as GATE were based on the Australian version (due to crazy design with Sentai's). Regarding Flip Flappers and probably Grimoire of Zero as well, the main and pretty much only focus of the limited editions is the artbook so I would assume that MVM would try and acquire them unless Madman have something up their sleeves. It's worth noting that artbooks weren't included in some sets (Nozaki & No Game No Life as examples).

TL;DR Flip Flappers will most likely come with the artbook for its limited edition, but it depends on approvals and what the Australian release has (as Sentai ditched DVDs for newer titles so this will be a PAL author).

Ahh okay, that makes a lot of sense, thanks! The thing that worried me was that I couldn't recall any of the MVM titles that came with an artbook, and the Australian version seems to just be a standard release with no premium set. But given the price tag and lack of soundtrack that the Sentai release has, it'd make sense if the artbook is MVM's collector's edition focal point as well.

Ahh okay, that makes a lot of sense, thanks! The thing that worried me was that I couldn't recall any of the MVM titles that came with an artbook, and the Australian version seems to just be a standard release with no premium set. But given the price tag and lack of soundtrack that the Sentai release has, it'd make sense if the artbook is MVM's collector's edition focal point as well.
I've taken note of all of the sets MVM have released in LE form during the Blu-ray era. These are the bunch for those interested:
  • Berserk [BD] - Madman replica with artcards & digipack
  • The Eccentric Family Season 1 [BD] - NIS replica with Artbook
  • Fate/Stay Night [Unlimited Blade Works] Part 1 [BD] - Hanabee replica with artbox
  • Fate/Stay Night [Unlimited Blade Works] Part 2 [BD] - Hanabee replica with artbox
  • Fate/Zero Part 1 [BD, DVD] - Madman replica with artbox
  • Fruits Basket [BD] - Funi replica with artcards
  • the garden of sinners [DVD] - Madman replica with artbox
  • GATE [Combo] - Madman replica with mashes of Sentai content: Artbook, Artcards
  • Log Horizon Seasons 1-2 Collection [BD] - Original design with artbox
  • Love Live! Season 1 [BD, DVD] - Madman replica with DVD-sized artbook of the NIS version
  • Love Live! Season 2 [BD] - Madman replica with DVD-sized artbook of the NIS version
  • A Lull in the Sea [BD] - NIS replica with Artbook & OST
  • Monster Musume [Combo] - Original design with mashes of Sentai content: Booklet, OST, Info Cards
  • Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun [Combo] - Sentai replica with just the OST
  • No Game No Life [Combo] - Sentai replica with just the OST
  • Serial Experiments Lain [Combo] - Funi replica with artcards
  • Tenchi Muyo! OVA Collection [Combo] - Funi replica with booklet & previous OVA special from prior MVM release

I'm currently rewatching From the New World, what a fantastic show! However, inside the first Blu-ray case I found a note I wrote four years ago on how to play the second disc. After the MVM logo the screen goes black and nothing happens anymore. By pressing the menu button and waiting one minute, the disc jumps to the first episode. I can't reach the menu and other features on the disc. Even the episodes aren't perfect, the sound in episode 13 is not in sync with the video.

I would like to replace this disc, but I don't want risk getting another with the same defects. @MVM would it be safe to buy the Blu-ray part 1 in your store or from mvm_entertainment on Amazon?

I'm currently rewatching From the New World, what a fantastic show! However, inside the first Blu-ray case I found a note I wrote four years ago on how to play the second disc. After the MVM logo the screen goes black and nothing happens anymore. By pressing the menu button and waiting one minute, the disc jumps to the first episode. I can't reach the menu and other features on the disc. Even the episodes aren't perfect, the sound in episode 13 is not in sync with the video.

I would like to replace this disc, but I don't want risk getting another with the same defects. @MVM would it be safe to buy the Blu-ray part 1 in your store or from mvm_entertainment on Amazon?
MVM never reauthored the discs so even if you got a replacement it would still have the same problem. When I contacted them a while ago they sent me a DVD copy free of charge, not perfect but better than nothing.

I've noticed that in MVM's article on their recent acquisitions there's a few errors in the description for Land of the Lustrous. Is this simply down to mistranslations?

Did MVM ever release the rest of Hidamari sketch? i can't find it, or have they ever mentioned anything about if it they have not released it? not sure if I should buy the sentai releases now if MVM won't be doing them

No, and I wouldn't hold my breath on them ever doing it. I'd wager its inclusion in their Xmas mystery box is indicative of it not selling too well over here. I've been meaning to import Sentai's for ages.

Did MVM ever release the rest of Hidamari sketch? i can't find it, or have they ever mentioned anything about if it they have not released it? not sure if I should buy the sentai releases now if MVM won't be doing them
Funny enough, I imported and received the ova today. :)

If you're having the issue, you'll simply encounter the same issue, regardless of where you purchase it from sadly.

No plans on getting any further seasons of this sorry.

No plans on getting any further seasons of this sorry.
That's always kinda disappointing to hear. Of course I don't know all the ins and outs of licensing, but I do feel like sales would probably be higher for first releases in a series if people knew at the time of release the rest were going to follow.

I've not really been burned by MVM on this particular issue before (although it also happened with Patlabor iirc) but I've certainly been burned by Manga, and it doesn't make me inclined to buy a Part 1/Season 1 release until I know the rest are going to follow. Which if enough people think the same way will obviously hit your sales of that release.

That's always kinda disappointing to hear. Of course I don't know all the ins and outs of licensing, but I do feel like sales would probably be higher for first releases in a series if people knew at the time of release the rest were going to follow.

I've not really been burned by MVM on this particular issue before (although it also happened with Patlabor iirc) but I've certainly been burned by Manga, and it doesn't make me inclined to buy a Part 1/Season 1 release until I know the rest are going to follow. Which if enough people think the same way will obviously hit your sales of that release.

MVM has been pretty damn good with releases, of course I don't really buy 1st seasons/part 1s until i know the rest are coming out (manga fails on this hard) I've never bought a part 1 till i've known the rest comes out.

Hi, just watching Slayers for the first time and got the 2nd disc and partway through the 2nd episode the disk jumps no matter what dvd player I try. Looked in the defective/dissapointing disks thread and found that it's a known problem and that @MVM did a replacement programme. Does anyone know if it's still running/who I'd need to contact as it's been ages since the dvd was originally released.

Hi, just watching Slayers for the first time and got the 2nd disc and partway through the 2nd episode the disk jumps no matter what dvd player I try. Looked in the defective/dissapointing disks thread and found that it's a known problem and that @MVM did a replacement programme. Does anyone know if it's still running/who I'd need to contact as it's been ages since the dvd was originally released.

Hi there, there was an issue with the original manufactured run that affected certain players with disc 2. But we had the disc re-authored and re-manufactured to get rid of the issue. You must have picked up one of the original copies. If you send us an email at [email protected] with your name and address, and we can get a replacement disc 2 out for you :)

Hi there, there was an issue with the original manufactured run that affected certain players with disc 2. But we had the disc re-authored and re-manufactured to get rid of the issue. You must have picked up one of the original copies. If you send us an email at [email protected] with your name and address, and we can get a replacement disc 2 out for you :)
Thanks, I've sent an email.

Back